Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jabby posted:

Are you suggesting that multiple people, unknown to each other, spontaneously used the phrase 'a bit charity-shop looking'?

Saying the responses were negative is one thing, although without any context of how large or diverse the group was or a more specific definition of 'negative' I'd argue it has little value, but cherry-picking specific phrases to use as somehow representative of the whole population is clearly wrong.
No, I'm not suggesting that multiple people used that specific phrase. I was relaying what was stated in the article - that apparently most of the focus group participants expressed negative opinions about Rayner and her appearance/presentation. The fact that one participant chose to use more colourful language than the others when expressing that opinion is neither here nor there unless you're a journalist looking for a tasty quote to get dem clicks, in which case it's very important.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pochoclo posted:

The 90s? Ah, such sweet memories. My family plunging into abject poverty thanks to neo-liberalism, each night's dinner being either tea and crackers or potatoes in some form, yeah, those were fun times.

Which South American (I think) country are you from again, if you don't mind me asking too much? I'm kinda curious and right-wing governments (and some left-wing ones too to be fair) did a number on uhh quite a lot of them.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 12, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Private Speech posted:

Which South American (I think) country are you from again, if you don't mind me asking too much? I'm kinda curious and right-wing governments (and some left-wing ones too to be fair) did a number on uhh quite a lot of them.

Argentina and to be fair every government in its history has been out to line their own pockets and gently caress the people, but the military dictatorships were especially vicious, and Menem's presidencies (1989-1999) basically finished destroying the country entirely through rampant neo-liberalism and privatisation of all national assets and basically destroying many many workers' rights. Of course, some rich assholes had a great time during that decade, so they can't understand why everyone else loving hates them when they say the 90s were a good time. Which I assume also happens a lot in the UK as I can't imagine the 90s were prosperous for everyone.
Anyway, people praising either the 90s or, especially, neo-liberalism, triggers me I guess.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

As a charity shop volunteer I'm now a bit worried about my apprearance
What does it mean?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're approaching 30 now you're an expert in britain's glorious past.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Those were all things form my childhood, but I'm from Ireland, jokes on them

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Cerv posted:

As a charity shop volunteer I'm now a bit worried about my apprearance
What does it mean?

perhaps you're angela rayner in disguise

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Was there any time when there were four TV channels but no affordable home computers with the beep boop video games? ZX81 and the BBC's big 'get your kids a computer' was before Channel 4.

And vandalism was when kids would shoot at street lamps with air rifles, throw stones through the windows of empty houses, and set the occasional shed on fire, to the dismay of a generation who were doing the same thing but with Yorkshire arrows and bottles filled with water and carbide. There was never a generation where none of the kids were shits.

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts96J7HhO28

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

'The honourable lady', unless she's a member of the privy council, in which case it's 'the right honourable lady.'

Or in Theresa May's case, the far-right honourable lady.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

Was there any time when there were four TV channels but no affordable home computers with the beep boop video games? ZX81 and the BBC's big 'get your kids a computer' was before Channel 4.

And vandalism was when kids would shoot at street lamps with air rifles, throw stones through the windows of empty houses, and set the occasional shed on fire, to the dismay of a generation who were doing the same thing but with Yorkshire arrows and bottles filled with water and carbide. There was never a generation where none of the kids were shits.

Obligatory:

code:
for n=0 to 2
     those were the days
next n

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TinTower posted:

code:
for n=0 to 2
     those were the days
next n

This would have been better in BASIC

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

No, I'm not suggesting that multiple people used that specific phrase. I was relaying what was stated in the article - that apparently most of the focus group participants expressed negative opinions about Rayner and her appearance/presentation. The fact that one participant chose to use more colourful language than the others when expressing that opinion is neither here nor there unless you're a journalist looking for a tasty quote to get dem clicks, in which case it's very important.

Some opinions are actively harmful to society when you try to indulge them, and the obsession with politicians appearance is one of them. As I said you wouldn't advocate using a focus group to see what skin colour or gender is most acceptable to the public, so you probably shouldn't use them to focus on people's looks either.

To reply to what you said earlier:

LemonDrizzle posted:

a problem with someone's presentation could be trivially fixable by telling them to get a haircut and buy some new clothes, something more fundamental that you'd just have to accept, or anywhere in between.

Would 'trivially fixable' include stuff like wearing more makeup? High-heeled shoes? A push-up bra? Is there a line anywhere, particularly for female politicians, as to how pleasing they have to make their appearance to be considered leadership material?

And as for 'something more fundamental' (I assume you mean actually being unattractive) do you really think it's going to be accepted once it's public knowledge that the public have decided you aren't pretty enough? Or will the MPs who might have nominated you for leader think about giving their support to someone else instead?

Actively seeking out opinions on an MP's appearance is a toxic thing to do, and any attempt to 'fix' things would be equally toxic. If you wouldn't go into the street specifically asking people what they think of Angela Rayner's dress sense or body weight then letting them bring that stuff up in a focus group is no better.

jabby fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 12, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Private Speech posted:

It's not unscientific in principle, like any polling you can choose an unrepresentative sample, and you do have to work harder to interpret the data, but qualitative polling is widely used in social sciences of all sorts.

I don't know why you're posting about qualitative polling because we were talking about political focus groups.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

The 90s had Saturday morning TV shows where you'd call in and play bad games by telling them to go LEFT and RIGHT instead of riding your bike to the woods without doing any vandalisms

Also Patrick Moore's Bogus Journey

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

WeAreTheRomans posted:

bbc model b basic

code:
10 MODE 2
20 PLOT 85,RND(1200),RND(1000)
30 GCOL 0,RND(16)
40 PRINT TAB(10,12) "THOSE WERE THE DAYS"
50 GOTO 20

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I don't know why you're posting about qualitative polling because we were talking about political focus groups.

Focus groups is literally one of the few major forms of qualitative research. Or maybe you could read that BJD paper I linked, it's short and non-technical. Admittedly only the second half is about focus groups.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Private Speech posted:

Focus groups is literally one of the few major forms of qualitative research. Or maybe you could read that BJD paper I linked, it's short and non-technical. Admittedly only the second half is about focus groups.

You keep thinking I'm criticising the idea of a focus group as legitimate data collection tool in research as opposed to criticising the actual practice of political focus groups and the subsequent coverage they're given.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

10 PRINT "THOSE WERE THE DAYS ";
20 GOTO 10.

The semicolon is key here.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
a man asking people with no spine to stand up lol

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Jose posted:

Ah yes. The problem with Labour "centrists" is that they haven't been challenging Corbyn's leadership.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

The 90s had Saturday morning TV shows where you'd call in and play bad games by telling them to go LEFT and RIGHT instead of riding your bike to the woods without doing any vandalisms

Twitch Plays Pokemon was much worse before the internet.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

You keep thinking I'm criticising the idea of a focus group as legitimate data collection tool in research as opposed to criticising the actual practice of political focus groups and the subsequent coverage they're given.

In the absence of access to the actual research data we have no way of knowing if the results are reported dishonestly or not. It doesn't matter if we are talking about focus groups or structured interviews or whatever other survey method.

e: There isn't anything magical about political focus groups. Or at least I can't find any reasonable academic article pointing them out as particularly problematic. And there is a huge amount of criticism of the way focus groups are used in Marketing research for example, so it's not like they would shy away. It just tends to be listed along with sociology and psychology as a discipline where they are commonly used.

e2: One of several Google Scholar search strings I tried.

e3: This is the closest thing I found, but it's not widely echoed or acknowledged at all (and focuses particularly on New Labour, funnily enough). It's listed as cited three times, once specifically by it's author, which given that political science is a fairly large field doesn't speak much in favour of it. Frankly it seems a bit like an anti-New-Labour political talking point.

In particular, if you read it, she basically criticises every single political 'scientific' researcher (her use of commas) she cites. And the paper was published privately and anonymously at first.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 13, 2017

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Jose posted:

The BBC's coverage has been mildly irritating too. "Corbyn guessing game rises to new pitch", followed by an article relaying two interviews with Labour MPs where both emphatically say the leadership issue is sorted for this parliament. So, not rising to any pitch, really.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Registration for the NI election closes on Tuesday just to remind anyone

Also the leader of the UUP said a thing today which is pretty bold

https://twitter.com/bbcnewsline/status/830832069328662529

He stopped short from calling on UUP voters to transfer to the SDLP, a nationalist party, but signalling that he would rather vote for the SDLP to ensure a change in government than for other Unionist parties is a pretty brave move which puts his neck out a bit. Nesbitt is from the broadly "liberal unionist" wing of the party who has tried to meld a softening of language on social issues with appeasing the right-wing conservative factions of the party - he abstained on the last vote on same-sex marriage (the only member of his party to do so, only one UUP MLA voted in favour) after describing those who dogmatically oppose it as being on "the wrong side of history" and was one of only three UUP MLA's to support the legalization of abortion for cases where the foetus cannot survive outside the womb. At the same time though he did pull the party out of government in protest to a statements made by the chief constable linking members of the IRA to a murder a while back, though this was largely seen as a telegraphed move to shift the party into the newly created official opposition to position themselves more aggressively against the DUP to reverse a long running electoral decline and bolster the UUP's "tough on shinners" credentials.

The last assembly elections for the UUP where a bit of a damp squib, most commentators expected the UUP to see greater vote swings based on their new strategy but they largely didn't materialize (possibly cause they didn't run enough candidates). Since the last assembly election the SDLP also entered opposition and Nesbitt has moved to form a kind of coalition in waiting with them, going as far as to invite the SDLP leader to the UUP's annual conference and declare that if you "Vote me, you get Colum [Eastwood, leader of the SDLP]".

Even mildly encouraging transferring to a nationalist party is still a pretty bold step - Colum Eastwood was cagey when asked if he would reciprocate and evaded giving a definitive answer. It's possible this comment could backfire horribly on Nesbitt if it puts off traditional unionist voters drifting from the DUP or makes candidates "transfer toxic" for voters who may have gone DUP 1 but thrown a lower preference to the UUP out of general unionist solidarity. If the election doesn't go his way he may be on the chopping block.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

The BBC Model B was pretty unaffordable for home use as the base unit plus required monitor would set you back close to £500. The ZX81 was much cheaper, but didn't have sound. However, the C64 and ZX Spectrum both launched before Channel 4 debuted in November 1982 and the Atari VCS had been out since 1978. So no, there was never a time when there were four channels and nobody had a home computer.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The kind of person who bitches about how everything was better in THEIR day usually became a boring piece of poo poo the second they dropped out the womb, so it isn't surprising that anything remotely cool passed them by.

I mean, look at that choice of TV shows. Not a Power Rangers or Duck Tales in sight. For shame.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Private Speech posted:

In the absence of access to the actual research data we have no way of knowing if the results are reported dishonestly or not. It doesn't matter if we are talking about focus groups or structured interviews or whatever other survey method.

e: There isn't anything magical about political focus groups. Or at least I can't find any reasonable academic article pointing them out as particularly problematic. And there is a huge amount of criticism of the way focus groups are used in Marketing research for example, so it's not like they would shy away. It just tends to be listed along with sociology and psychology as a discipline where they are commonly used.

e3: This is the closest thing I found, but it's not widely echoed or acknowledged at all (and focuses particularly on New Labour, funnily enough). It's listed as cited three times, once specifically by it's author, which given that political science is a fairly large field doesn't speak much in favour of it. Frankly it seems a bit like an anti-New-Labour political talking point.

In particular, if you read it, she basically criticises every single political 'scientific' researcher (her use of commas) she cites. And the paper was published privately and anonymously at first.

I mean, the fact that the results are published on blogs and newspapers is probably a hint they're not actually trying to conduct research of any sort.

I haven't seen the Royal Statistical Society investigate Twitter polling so I guess I'll consider that valid too until further notice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

D'Ancona is such an awful prick. Loves conflating love of the status quo for sensible grown up politics.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I mean, the fact that the results are published on blogs and newspapers is probably a hint they're not actually trying to conduct research of any sort.

I haven't seen the Royal Statistical Society investigate Twitter polling so I guess I'll consider that valid too until further notice.

This was a newspaper leak, and we have not seen anything to indicate that the study wasn't done impartially. If there even was one, as by the same logic they could have just made it all up to tarnish, uhh, Rayner was it? No need to run an actual study.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Any fallout yet?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Namtab posted:

Any fallout yet?

That's the magic of the thing, though - in this post-reason world you can just tweet "if elected, I will murder and eat the homeless" and sure, there will be major outrage from most people but somehow you'll still get voted in and still people will defend you. I'm pretty sure you could run on a platform that was literally "bring back the British Empire through slavery and brutal war" and you would get at least like 30% of Parliament, easy.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 13, 2017

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jabby posted:

Some opinions are actively harmful to society when you try to indulge them, and the obsession with politicians appearance is one of them. As I said you wouldn't advocate using a focus group to see what skin colour or gender is most acceptable to the public, so you probably shouldn't use them to focus on people's looks either... Actively seeking out opinions on an MP's appearance is a toxic thing to do, and any attempt to 'fix' things would be equally toxic. If you wouldn't go into the street specifically asking people what they think of Angela Rayner's dress sense or body weight then letting them bring that stuff up in a focus group is no better.
The polling firm and the Labour leadership almost certainly did not use the exercise to focus on Rayner's looks or specifically ask the participants about her appearance/mannerisms/presentation because a key objective when conducting a focus group is to avoid imposing your own perceptions or biases on the proceedings insofar as you possibly can. The typical practice is to make your questions as open-ended as possible - they would almost certainly have just shown the participants some footage of Rayner and Long-Bailey speaking and then asked something like "what did you think of the speaker?" to ensure that the responses reflected the participants' own thinking rather than the pollster's.

quote:

Would 'trivially fixable' include stuff like wearing more makeup? High-heeled shoes? A push-up bra?... And as for 'something more fundamental' (I assume you mean actually being unattractive) do you really think it's going to be accepted once it's public knowledge that the public have decided you aren't pretty enough?
When I said "trivially fixable", I meant "possible to address without a major investment of time/money/effort", so in that sense, yes, all of those things would be trivially fixable. Obviously, changing one's appearance or presentation will not necessarily be "trivial" on a personal/emotional level. I did not mean "unattractive" when I talked about "more fundamental" characteristics - I was thinking about things like someone's accent/speech patterns or physical habits and mannerisms (or, yes, gender/skin colour), which are both much harder to change and much more likely to raise someone's dander if identified as an electoral problem. It is certainly not right, reasonable, or fair that someone would be judged negatively on the basis of any of those characteristics, but that doesn't mean there won't be groups in the electorate who will go ahead and judge them negatively anyway. Worse, some of the people who judge in that way may belong to groups or demographics who would otherwise be amenable to your message. More generally, I don't think attractiveness is what the participants in the focus group were talking about when they made their comments, and I'm not sure it's even all that important; Theresa May and Angela Merkel don't have problems being taken seriously, and I don't think anyone would describe either of them as attractive.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 13, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

The polling firm and the Labour leadership almost certainly did not use the exercise to focus on Rayner's looks or specifically ask the participants about her appearance/mannerisms/presentation because a key objective when conducting a focus group is to avoid imposing your own perceptions or biases on the proceedings insofar as you possibly can. The typical practice is to make your questions as open-ended as possible - they would almost certainly have just shown the participants some footage of Rayner and Long-Bailey speaking and then asked something like "what did you think of the speaker?" to ensure that the responses reflected the participants' own thinking rather than the pollster's.

When I said "trivially fixable", I meant "possible to address without a major investment of time/money/effort", so in that sense, yes, all of those things would be trivially fixable. Obviously, changing one's appearance or presentation will not necessarily be "trivial" on a personal/emotional level. I did not mean "unattractive" when I talked about "more fundamental" characteristics - I was thinking about things like someone's accent/speech patterns or physical habits and mannerisms (or, yes, gender/skin colour), which are both much harder to change and much more likely to raise someone's dander if identified as an electoral problem. It is certainly not right, reasonable, or fair that someone would be judged negatively on the basis of any of those characteristics, but that doesn't mean there won't be groups in the electorate who will go ahead and judge them negatively anyway. Worse, some of the people who judge in that way may belong to groups or demographics who would otherwise be amenable to your message. More generally, I don't think attractiveness is what the participants in the focus group were talking about when they made their comments, and I'm not sure it's even all that important; Theresa May and Angela Merkel don't have problems being taken seriously, and I don't think anyone would describe either of them as attractive.

Asking people, especially women politicians, to change their appearance in order to better appeal to the electorate might be trivial to you, but that doesn't make it right to do so. Your argument seems to rest on the idea that while it isn't 'right, reasonable or fair' to judge someone on characteristics they can't change (including ethnicity and gender) political parties should still choose potential leaders/candidates based on those things because the electorate is going to judge them anyway. That's just not right, and it leads back to my basic point which is gently caress focus groups if they are telling you things that you can't (or shouldn't) do anything about.

Try and think of it this way. Would you be comfortable with Labour commissioning a survey asking random pedestrians whether they preferred a leader to be black or white, and then using that information to help decide between potential candidates? Because that's basically what you're getting when people in focus groups make comments about appearance, and I don't see the moral difference between that information being sought out or randomly volunteered.

Also it's pretty lovely to say you don't think anyone would find Angela Merkel or Theresa May attractive. They have husbands for a start. What you really mean is you don't find them attractive, which I really didn't need to know. But for some reason it's really common for people to pretend they are the ultimate arbiter of objective attractiveness when talking about female public figures.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

D'Ancona is such an awful prick. Loves conflating love of the status quo for sensible grown up politics.

D'Ancona is Tory-Boy in real life.
If it doesn't appeal to the centre-right, it's a non-starter as far as he is concerned. In fairness, though, he thinks that any party that fails to suitably ply the middle-and-up classes with enough incentives is a failure. So he would actually consider voting Labour if Blair's reanimated corpse was floated as a candidate.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Attacking labour at this point is like kicking a blind man's cane.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

kingturnip posted:

D'Ancona is Tory-Boy in real life.
If it doesn't appeal to the centre-right, it's a non-starter as far as he is concerned. In fairness, though, he thinks that any party that fails to suitably ply the middle-and-up classes with enough incentives is a failure. So he would actually consider voting Labour if Blair's reanimated corpse was floated as a candidate.

This is a weird post to find out that he finally kicked it. I'd have thought this thread would have given a bit more fanfare.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Private Speech posted:

Heather Savigny is respected in the field particularly for her work on methodologies in politics, and she's not the only person who has critiqued focus groups from a methodological perspective. The British Journal of Politics and International Relations is also pretty highly ranked - private and anonymous prepublication is not uncommon as a way of getting some feedback first prior to journal submission too. When I get to a computer I'll dig up some other references on problems with focus groups (disclaimer: all approaches to quantifying social phenomena have their problems, their uses and their pitfalls).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

jabby posted:

Asking people, especially women politicians, to change their appearance in order to better appeal to the electorate might be trivial to you, but that doesn't make it right to do so. Your argument seems to rest on the idea that while it isn't 'right, reasonable or fair' to judge someone on characteristics they can't change (including ethnicity and gender) political parties should still choose potential leaders/candidates based on those things because the electorate is going to judge them anyway. That's just not right, and it leads back to my basic point which is gently caress focus groups if they are telling you things that you can't (or shouldn't) do anything about.

Try and think of it this way. Would you be comfortable with Labour commissioning a survey asking random pedestrians whether they preferred a leader to be black or white, and then using that information to help decide between potential candidates? Because that's basically what you're getting when people in focus groups make comments about appearance, and I don't see the moral difference between that information being sought out or randomly volunteered.

Also it's pretty lovely to say you don't think anyone would find Angela Merkel or Theresa May attractive. They have husbands for a start. What you really mean is you don't find them attractive, which I really didn't need to know. But for some reason it's really common for people to pretend they are the ultimate arbiter of objective attractiveness when talking about female public figures.
People make a lot of decisions based on looks, it's not right but it's what people do.

Part of corbyns lack of appeal to the electorate is very much the fact that he is perceived as a scruffy old man, to the point where hameron laid down sweet pmq owns about it.

E: research has shown that people are idiots and more easily associate positive virtues with attractive people

Namtab fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
While Corbyn's Steptoe aesthetic undoubtedly contributes to his utter lack of appeal we shouldn't forget his other failings such as what he says, how he says it, who he is and where he's from.

You could put the guy in a decent suit and make him have a shave, but you'd soon be reminded that you cannot polish a turd.

• Locked thread