Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Just buy a Resident Evil shirt that says the same thing. Would probably be cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
In high school I had a hella sick resident evil 2 shirt. It lasted until my early 20s.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

In high school I had a hella sick resident evil 2 shirt. It lasted until my early 20s.

Well the one they ordered took 5 months to get here, but on the bright side they were refunded halfway through that and it came anyway. It's cool though has those 80s half sleeves like my old maiden shirts.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Hey I just got this after beating Dark Souls 2. Every other souls game I have played someone has made a good "hey just starting out? You want these items to help you out." Is there something like that for this game?

So far I am digging the combat changes from Dark Souls 2, even as a knight I could still roll well enough and I feel like I have stamina for days. I can see how people might prefer stamina management from Dark Souls 2 because you had so little so every action you needed to be really careful with but man it's just so much more fun to be able to attack three of four times and still be able to dodge away.

Also I beat the first boss on my first try. Never done that before in Demon's, DS1 or DS2. Feeling pretty :smug: right now.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
The real first boss is Sword Master, a.k.a. SUPER ASIA.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Starting out be careful with what you spend your shards on since they aren't easy to farm until you start getting the next stage of titanite. Astoria short sword raw has crazy good ar for only needing 10/10/0/12 I think it is (it's near the first estus shard)
This frees you up to level vigor and endurance which is pretty important. You'll want 30 vigor when you finish the catacombs, which is before you can even buy large shards.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What setting do I want the cross-region play on? I put it to "matchmaking on" since I figured that'd give me a better chance to get summoned/summons, although I'm wondering if that's why I'm seeing some real bad lag and failed summons. I've been putting down my summon signs and several times I'll get the notification I'm getting summoned, only for it to fail out, and on several summons I've had some real weird lag / rubberbanding or outright got dropped mid fight.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

This frees you up to level vigor and endurance which is pretty important. You'll want 30 vigor when you finish the catacombs, which is before you can even buy large shards.

That's a little extreme, my guy. Sure, you'll want a lot of vigor by endgame, and it makes more sense than upgrading your attacking stats because of how low unupgraded weapons are, but that's a lot of souls to invest just in Vigor. By Catacombs, I usually have around 18 Vigor. But your mileage may vary, of course! :shobon:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

You're right. I had 25 going into ithryll and 30 at pontiff. But I still think it's the best thing to level especially on the mistake prone first run.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Git gud and dont get hit and it doesn't matter what your vigor is.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I plowed so many souls into Vigor my first game (and in DS2) but my Pyro only has around 21 in Vigor and I don't feel a big need to dump more in at this point (just about to fight Yhorm.) Having a "ranged" option easily at hand helps a lot.

I'll probably bump it up to the softcap by the end of the game, but getting 4 attunement slots and upping my Faith/Int is more important to me. I'm probably also way underleveling Endurance given that my primary weapon is a UGS.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 12, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
27 is the usual target for vig. Past that it's more of a luxury.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ariandel's boss feels like From decided to add artificial difficulty to make the DLC seem less short.

Beating King of the Storm over and over to fight the Nameless King was bad enough, they didn't need to top that.

Elman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 12, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elman posted:

Ariandel's final only boss feels like From decided to add artificial difficulty to make the DLC seem less short.

Beating King of the Storm over and over to fight the Nameless King was bad enough, they didn't need to top that.

I think it's partly that, but also partly that they've about hit the limits of the combat system as is. After a certain point, the only way to make DS3 combat more challenging is to either introduce multi-boss encounters (which have historically been hit-or-miss and which push slow weapons down the rankings even further), have even more elongated combos with more split-second/varied timing required, or increase the level of endurance required to get through a single encounter successfully (such as Friede's three phase fight). The second option's got a certain level of diminishing returns (because people will either turtle up with a huge shield or roll spam through any combo with the Bloodring, especially by mid/lategame, where these DLCs are targeted for), and it's drat hard to get the first option right (only O&S really, genuinely succeeded at it in the Dark Souls series, and they're teetering on the edge), so the third option is the one they're likely to default to.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I've never really enjoyed the o&s fight because it's such a stone wall even with help. Friede is a visually spectacular romp if you have a crew.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I co opd Freide with Gael and a summon and it was really fun. I'm in my ng+ run now and I still can't beat the nameless king. Fighting the dragon over and over again is some bullshit.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Vermain posted:

I think it's partly that, but also partly that they've about hit the limits of the combat system as is. After a certain point, the only way to make DS3 combat more challenging is to either introduce multi-boss encounters (which have historically been hit-or-miss and which push slow weapons down the rankings even further), have even more elongated combos with more split-second/varied timing required, or increase the level of endurance required to get through a single encounter successfully (such as Friede's three phase fight). The second option's got a certain level of diminishing returns (because people will either turtle up with a huge shield or roll spam through any combo with the Bloodring, especially by mid/lategame, where these DLCs are targeted for), and it's drat hard to get the first option right (only O&S really, genuinely succeeded at it in the Dark Souls series, and they're teetering on the edge), so the third option is the one they're likely to default to.

All those other options are better that this one. It's not like there's anything wrong with this boss design, it'd just be less tedious if it was 2 separate bosses instead of a triple phase extravaganza.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Vermain posted:

I was actually really impressed by the multi boss fights in DS3. Pontiff was visually and conceptually great, just let down by the execution. Deacons were pretty simple, but a nice change of pace. And it's not like Abyss Watchers and Twin Princes need any more praise.

Twin Dragonriders though? Totally poo poo

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I was actually really impressed by the multi boss fights in DS3. Pontiff was visually and conceptually great, just let down by the execution. Deacons were pretty simple, but a nice change of pace. And it's not like Abyss Watchers and Twin Princes need any more praise.

Twin Dragonriders though? Totally poo poo

I liked the Dragonriders because it just underlines how much your character's grown since the Tower of Heide. Just shredding these two dudes in seconds when earlier, you'd at least need to bait the big dude off a cliff. :v:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Elman posted:

All those other options are better that this one. It's not like there's anything wrong with this boss design, it'd just be less tedious if it was 2 separate bosses instead of a triple phase extravaganza.

2 separate bosses doesn't accomplish the goal of making it harder though. I can cut them some slack given it's their last hurrah, and every DLC across the series has bumped up boss difficulty significantly from the base game. I know what you're saying though, I'm exhausted just reading the description of the first boss fight in The Ringed City.

Vermain posted:

There's another option that I'm surprised (and maybe a little disappointed) they haven't gone back to, which is having adds join the fight. I thought it worked quite well for NG+ Lost Sinner and Elana, and other games have successfully used them to add incremental difficulty as well, especially with some thought put into them rather than just adding more dudes.

hampig fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 13, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

hampig posted:

There's another option that I'm surprised (and maybe a little disappointed) they haven't gone back to, which is having adds join the fight. I thought it worked quite well for NG+ Lost Sinner and Elana, and other games have successfully used them to add incremental difficulty as well, especially with some thought put into them rather than just adding more dudes.

They should do another Mirror Knight thing and let the boss summon real people.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And it's not like Abyss Watchers and Twin Princes need any more praise.

I've always thought Twin Princes is one of the worst fights in the game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Twin Prices certainly has some weird and wonderful hitboxes. It wasn't a great fight, but it was fine enough, though I certainly wouldn't call it a multiboss encounter. Abyss Watchers Phase 1 is mostly a waiting game of when the AI will randomly decide to start having the Watchers attack eachother, and the fact that they can be hitstaggered by a fart makes them feel less like a boss and more like a group of undead dogs with more ceremony plastered on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Imo, if you want to praise two princes, just go ahead now.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Vermain posted:

Abyss Watchers Phase 1 is mostly a waiting game of when the AI will randomly decide to start having the Watchers attack eachother, and the fact that they can be hitstaggered by a fart makes them feel less like a boss and more like a group of undead dogs with more ceremony plastered on.

It's not random, first one is the boss, second attacks you, third one attacks whoever is closest.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

It's not random, first one is the boss, second attacks you, third one attacks whoever is closest.

I'm pretty sure there's a random amount of time that passes between the second one appearing and it deciding to attack the first. I remember Distortion2 complaining about it a lot, which is why speedruns started incorporating Farron skip (despite it being a big liability, time-wise).

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Imo, if you want to praise two princes, just go ahead now.

theyre not the best boss in the game but they feel pretty momentous and straight-out-of-myth, which rules.

real boss there though is the army immediately beforehand

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well they certainly ain't got no future or family tree what with the whole end of the age and all.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Also Lorian's one big exploit wasn't even a finished job.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

hampig posted:

2 separate bosses doesn't accomplish the goal of making it harder though. I can cut them some slack given it's their last hurrah, and every DLC across the series has bumped up boss difficulty significantly from the base game. I know what you're saying though, I'm exhausted just reading the description of the first boss fight in The Ringed City.

They could also remove half the bonfires to make things harder. That's not real difficulty though, it only adds tedium.

I'd be less salty about it if the DLC wasn't half the length of all the other DLCs. I was happy to find out I'd missed a secret area, but then it turned out it was just an empty lake with a couple monsters and a wolf miniboss :geno:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Well they certainly ain't got no future or family tree what with the whole end of the age and all.

I'm cursing you under my breath.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Yeah ultimately that's my problem with bosses like the Nameless King. It feels like the cheapest, most tedious way to introduce some difficulty.

I know he's optional and all, and it's a failing of mine that I go into the fight pre-tilted because of the two health bars, but I still feel it's cheap.

E: in my perfect dark souls 4, bosses would have no 'now i'm angry' final form, no adds, and a single health bar.

I'll give the Champ a pass because that fight was just totally awesome

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 13, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think it was the Bonefire Side chat guys who said if you lose one or two of your estus to the dragon you might as well give up, which I agree with.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think it was the Bonefire Side chat guys who said if you lose one or two of your estus to the dragon you might as well give up, which I agree with.

He isn't THAT hard to dodge.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

hanales posted:

I'm cursing you under my breath.

But it is you who remains among the cursing, Ashen One.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I really like the switched gears halfway through the fights and don't mind the phases too much (but I think the execution on NK is lame)

Except for champion gravetender because both of those enemies are just so lovely to fight and not in an interesting way. The wolf spams the charge with the terrible hitboxes and the snow kick up that blinds you

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Good two-phase fights:
Tree
Fume Knight
Iudex Gundyr
The Ivory King

Bad two-phase fights:
Super Cripple Bros
The Nameless King
Elfreide

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Nameless King I thought was fine 'cause they give the first form a big high damage weakness and fairly low HP, but I think most other instances of this are just annoying.

I don't like the Abyss Watchers all that much, and I think the fight would have been a lot more hectic and cool if it was just a legion of dudes rising and having a big battle royale. You could even have the flames burst in about halfway through, with the health bar only decreasing when you fully kill a Watcher or something, I dunno.

I really really hated the Ariandel DLC boss, both of them annoy me a fair bit, the Gravekeeper seems like a low-budget Nameless with the roles reversed and the big boss is just a slog. Three bosses in succession is not fun, it's tedious, especially when one of those three bosses is actually TWO BOSSES AT ONCE.

ANd Nameless King would have been better if the first "phase" was beefed up, made its own boss fight, and once it was dead it stayed dead.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the gravetender sucked but I just powered up and parried him for a OHKO and then the wolf was just a lovely Sif who keeps running into walls and getting stuck on scenery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The storm king loving sucks to fight if you like slow weapons