Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Charity shops are loving awesome, I've got an Aquascutum suit from a charity shop, a Diesel jacket and some really good coats and jumpers so gently caress those focus groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Private Speech posted:

This was a newspaper leak, and we have not seen anything to indicate that the study wasn't done impartially. If there even was one, as by the same logic they could have just made it all up to tarnish, uhh, Rayner was it? No need to run an actual study.

Again you seem to be thinking I'm actually saying focus groups are bad a priori or that the data these focus groups produce is devoid of any value, I am not. But studies have a hypothesis they're trying to test. Researchers write up results and get them peer reviewed. Deliberately targeting a sub-demographic you feel is likely to generate some convenient quotes supportive of the narrative you've been trying to push and selectively handing them over to friendly journalists to write attack pieces is not and never will be science. I've certainly never seen anyone writing about a focus group of Lib Dem or Green leaning Labour voters, have you? I wonder why.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
A new poll and an opportunity to see how well Labour's new pro Brexit strategy is working out

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/831093465136128000

Oh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

Charity shops are loving awesome, I've got an Aquascutum suit from a charity shop, a Diesel jacket and some really good coats and jumpers so gently caress those focus groups.
They used to be really good for appliances that are just missing a fuse for great prices, but I don't think they can do that anymore.

jabby posted:

Asking people, especially women politicians, to change their appearance in order to better appeal to the electorate might be trivial to you, but that doesn't make it right to do so.
I think that having a mustache makes a person look like a better leader, whether it's a full Teddy Roosevelt or a more restrained Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed, but not whatever al-Assad has going on on his upper lip. Freddie had probably optimum leadertache.

But then at a logical level this is a problematic prejudgement, because some ethnic groups and most women can't grow one, so it's an unfair expectation in a leader. Also mustaches patterned after early movie stars are often a bad sign.

When you have value systems operating at the examined and unexamined levels that can create a conflict, and leader selection is as deeply rooted in group social psychology and culturally informed values as is partner selection.

otoh there is no part of this of which I approve:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Facial hair is a secondary sexual characteristic in a species that forms strong dominance hierarchies; you'd expect it to be correlated with leaderiness.

I think all PMs should have to have the full-on Macho Man 'tache as Article 1 of our unwritten constitution. Women can buy a fake stage moustache and have it glued on.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
the secret to having a moustache is to also have a beard

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

the secret to having a moustache is to also have a beard

and then remove the moustache

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/831115333243174913

Labour is failing to appeal to the working class.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

I'm sure they would be doing much better amongst C2DEs if they had followed the Pissflaps strategy of voting against Article 50.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

dex_sda posted:

and then remove the moustache

And then join a late 90s numetal band

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Ah poo poo, I just removed my beard and left the moustache!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I'm sure they would be doing much better amongst C2DEs if they had followed the Pissflaps strategy of voting against Article 50.

That's also a poll from the start of last week that was released at the end of last week. It's not even new lol.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

We'll never know - but we can see what happens when they follow the path of supporting it and the results are loving terrible.

Tesseraction posted:

That's also a poll from the start of last week that was released at the end of last week. It's not even new lol.

Do you anticipate a big upswing in the polls following the latest article 50 bill vote?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Guavanaut posted:

They used to be really good for appliances that are just missing a fuse for great prices, but I don't think they can do that anymore.

second hand electricals need to be safety tested. so most shops charity don't do them. but there's enough around that do that you should be able to find one. no missing fuses though. it's not the 90s anymore

edit: ask me about spending Saturday morning's wiping layers of grease of old wii controllers. it's fun & rewarding

Cerv fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 13, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

if the working class are racist obese fuckwads they should get in the loving sea

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jabby posted:

Asking people, especially women politicians, to change their appearance in order to better appeal to the electorate might be trivial to you, but that doesn't make it right to do so. Your argument seems to rest on the idea that while it isn't 'right, reasonable or fair' to judge someone on characteristics they can't change (including ethnicity and gender) political parties should still choose potential leaders/candidates based on those things because the electorate is going to judge them anyway. That's just not right, and it leads back to my basic point which is gently caress focus groups if they are telling you things that you can't (or shouldn't) do anything about.
Do you get this angry about being told it's a good idea to iron your shirt before a job interview? At a basic level appearance does matter in society whether you like it or not.

jabby posted:

Try and think of it this way. Would you be comfortable with Labour commissioning a survey asking random pedestrians whether they preferred a leader to be black or white,
be honest, that doesn't appear to be anything like what happened with this focus group.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zephro posted:

Women can buy a fake stage moustache and have it glued on.

There's even historical precedent! :hist101:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Polls asking the public whether they'd be comfortable with a black/female/atheist/asian/immigrant/muslim etc leader get run fairly regularly, so I'm not sure why we are up in arms about that. The question is not whether the party dares acknowledge such opinions exist, but how the party processes stuff like that, whether they surrender to stupid public opinions in some desperate grab at momentary electoral advantage (perhaps to forestall negative coverage in the press), or cling on to some sort of principle and try to fight their case.

I'm sure the thread knows what the right choice is on this.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Charity Shop as an insult is incredibly classist and basically shows a disdain for the poor.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pissflaps why do you hate the poor?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

Charity Shop as an insult is incredibly classist and basically shows a disdain for the poor.

Do we know that the person/people that said it aren't themselves poor?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

Pissflaps why do you hate the poor?

You just categorised the poor as

JFairfax posted:

racist obese fuckwads

who should

JFairfax posted:

get in the loving sea

So maybe a moment of introspection would be more valuable to you than asking unwarranted questions of others.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tangentially, I always thought charity shops were kinda a middle class thing? Maybe that's a function of the places I volunteered in, though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hate the racist obese idiot working classes Pissflaps, just because you're working class doesn't mean you have to be racist or fat.

Why do you hate them?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

I hate the racist obese idiot working classes Pissflaps, just because you're working class doesn't mean you have to be racist or fat.

Why do you hate them?

Why would you ask if I hate the poor? Have I said anything to suggest I do?

Also you might want to tone down the anti working class rhetoric.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
stop apologising for racists

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

stop apologising for racists

I don't know what you're talking about.

Again: what have I said to make you think I hate poor people? Why are you asking me why I do?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Would you like to explain a bit why being fat is comparable to racism if you are working class, JFairfax, since we are having this other conversation about judging people by their appearance.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

Would you like to explain a bit why being fat is comparable to racism if you are working class, JFairfax, since we are having this other conversation about judging people by their appearance.

they're both poor life choices

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

JFairfax posted:

they're both poor life choices

cool

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
and your economic situation is no excuse for being racist or for eating at a calorie surplus for such an extended period of time that you become morbidly obese.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think it's a bit rich for somebody who happily uses the phrase 'the racist obese idiot working classes' to pontificate on race or poverty issues.

That poo poo might fly with the Tarquins glamping at the communist festival, but nowhere else.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

JFairfax posted:

more an insult for a certain overeducated middle class anxiety imo

shop volunteers are sometimes the noble poor or the bohemian intellectual, but they're often those who don't need the income

quote:

We also know that the great bulk of volunteering, charitable giving and civic participation is accounted for by a relatively small subset of the population – termed the "civic core" (those who collectively contribute two-thirds of unpaid help, participation in civic groups and charitable donations). New analysis in the Third Sector Research Centre shows that: 1% of the population account for 9% of the volume of unpaid help recorded in the Citizenship Survey; two-thirds of unpaid help is given by around 7% of the population; 87% is given by 31%. The core groups are largely composed of well educated, middle-aged professionals; 57% have higher education qualifications; 33% have degrees and are aged 40-64; over 40% of females with degrees are in these "core" groups. With these groups approaching saturation, a wider range of people will need to be drawn into voluntary action; we can't just trawl for the usual suspects.

What about the match between the supply of volunteers and need? As a rule, the core groups are overrepresented in wealthier areas: 42% of those in the most prosperous tenth of residential neighbourhoods are in the "core", whereas only 25% of those in the least prosperous areas are. We can also quantify the share of voluntary effort by geographical area. This again shows a strong social gradient. The amount of unpaid help and civic participation is much higher in the more prosperous parts of the country.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/joepublic/2010/aug/24/big-society-lack-of-volunteers

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not all the working classes are racist and obese, but the ones that are shouldn't be defended as salt of the earth types.

Clearly there are a lot of racist poor people and Labour should not be thinking "oh we need to be more racist to appeal to them".

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Parliament Petition to request reasoning for why there was no threshold on the referendum.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/164999

quote:

TU strike ballots and countries voting on constitutional matters set a 2/3 majority for change. It's inconceivable this didn't have one.Was it because it was advisory, a purely consultative exercise not binding on this or any other government or was it just a careless,omission?
The narrow Leave majority of 52% represents only 37% of the electorate. Important groups affected by it were not allowed to vote e.g. 16-18 year olds. This is too small to be a government mandate to leave the EU with the dire economic consequences already seen. The MPs Code of Conduct obliges them to do what is best for the NATION i.e. Scotland, NI, Wales and England.If a deal which is more favourable to the whole of the UK than EU membership cannot be reached, MPs must vote not to leave.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

Clearly there are a lot of racist poor people and Labour should not be thinking "oh we need to be more racist to appeal to them".

Weird I don't remember you complaining about their Brexit vote strategy.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

mehall posted:

Parliament Petition to request reasoning for why there was no threshold on the referendum.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/164999
"My dog would never have voted for this" claims petitioner

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Weird I don't remember you complaining about their Brexit vote strategy.

are you saying people who voted Brexit are racists?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JFairfax posted:

Why do you hate them?

Some fat people have eating disorders but the NHS is really really crap at dealing with them and the waiting lists are huge. Please don't compare fat people to racists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Actually, poverty is an excuse for obesity, because energy dense foods that contribute to obesity are often the only food that poor people can consistently afford.

This has been the subject of a lot of research.

• Locked thread