Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The foods pretty good and the characters have potential but the combat is downright shoddy and the quest system is tedious as gently caress. I got a decent 10 hours out of ff15 but it says a lot that my fondest memory is the fishing mini game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
FFXV is great but for all that is good and holy avoid hunts at all costs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Renoistic posted:

FFXV is great but for all that is good and holy avoid hunts at all costs.

Actually do just enough to get rank 2 so you can farm the dumb horn for the Ultima Blade then ignore hunts forever.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually do just enough to get rank 2 so you can farm the dumb horn for the Ultima Blade then ignore hunts forever.

Hunts would be fine if you could just grab/activate multiples of them on the fly like from your phone or whatever.

Basically Xenoblade Chronicles has ruined JRPG's forever and it's a perpetual disappointment when more games just don't implement quality of life stuff in favour of needless timesinky backtracking.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Kin posted:

Hunts would be fine if you could just grab/activate multiples of them on the fly like from your phone or whatever.

Basically Xenoblade Chronicles has ruined JRPG's forever and it's a perpetual disappointment when more games just don't implement quality of life stuff in favour of needless timesinky backtracking.

I do agree that Xenoblade C handled hunts wonderfully, but it also had insane amounts of backtracking (if you wanted to complete sidequests) and battling of the RNG to get the correct things from the glowies. I played it for 240 hours, beat all the optional bosses and hunts, did all sidequests, and STILL didn't max some abilities. If you want to do and see everything it's an extreme timesink.

It's still my favorite RPG, though.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Renoistic posted:

I do agree that Xenoblade C handled hunts wonderfully, but it also had insane amounts of backtracking (if you wanted to complete sidequests) and battling of the RNG to get the correct things from the glowies. I played it for 240 hours, beat all the optional bosses and hunts, did all sidequests, and STILL didn't max some abilities. If you want to do and see everything it's an extreme timesink.

It's still my favorite RPG, though.

With all the landmarks/fast travel points as well as plentiful shortcuts in the level design to take advantage of, you never had to backtrack very far for 90% of sidequest cases and the fast traveling was pretty much always speedy. For RNG, for most collecting in the game you could simply trade with other NPCs. When you factor that in, you only really had 2 missions that had you collect from glow spots that had any real bad RNG. Those 2 collectables did suck hardcore, sadly, but that's about as painful as it got really. Before optional bosses, I beat all the sidequests (aside from the ones that required the optional bosses) and clocked in under ~120 hours, and I definitely wasn't rushing. idk how you could get to 240 for all of that.

Unless you played without a guide for the extra content? Cause XC's optional stuff should definitely only be played if you have a wiki page open in front of you or it'll get real bad real fast.

Maybe unpopular opinion, but at least I liked FF15's combat more than XC? It's finicky but I found it at least generally more fun to play around with, which there wasn't a lot to explore in XC's.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ventana posted:

With all the landmarks/fast travel points as well as plentiful shortcuts in the level design to take advantage of, you never had to backtrack very far for 90% of sidequest cases and the fast traveling was pretty much always speedy. For RNG, for most collecting in the game you could simply trade with other NPCs. When you factor that in, you only really had 2 missions that had you collect from glow spots that had any real bad RNG. Those 2 collectables did suck hardcore, sadly, but that's about as painful as it got really. Before optional bosses, I beat all the sidequests (aside from the ones that required the optional bosses) and clocked in under ~120 hours, and I definitely wasn't rushing. idk how you could get to 240 for all of that.

Unless you played without a guide for the extra content? Cause XC's optional stuff should definitely only be played if you have a wiki page open in front of you or it'll get real bad real fast.

Maybe unpopular opinion, but at least I liked FF15's combat more than XC? It's finicky but I found it at least generally more fun to play around with, which there wasn't a lot to explore in XC's.

If I felt the need to have a wiki up at all times I would play something else. I loved XC's combat - fights can go very differently depending on your team setup and which character you're controlling. But it's a very different beast from FFXV so I don't really want to compare them.

Anyway, if S-E keeps most of the FFXV fighting system intact for the FFVII remake, but allow you to switch characters, make it less annoying to switch your buddies' abilities during fights, and steal XC's quest tracking and hunting system - it just might be amazing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think SE would be much better served instead of spending all that time and effort developing their own game engines in house, to just use something proven and good and then maybe have more time to develop a decent game around it

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FF7R and I wanna say KH3? are in Unreal, so.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The funny thing is I'm 99% sure that FFXII allowed you to hunt multiple marks (Not sure about FFXIII)

FFXII is also the best open world FF

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

AlphaKretin posted:

FF7R and I wanna say KH3? are in Unreal, so.

Good, perhaps they are learning?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WaltherFeng posted:

The funny thing is I'm 99% sure that FFXII allowed you to hunt multiple marks (Not sure about FFXIII)

FFXII is also the best open world FF

It also had the best combat system.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I love programming games to play themselves

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I love programming games to play themselves

This, but unironically.

E: It's not the best combat system though, just a good one. I like them all.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

WaltherFeng posted:

Only one hunt at a time in FF13. Accepting a new one made you cancel the current/old one.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

fridge corn posted:

Idk I've pretty much done most of the sidequests and hunts up to this point and they're all extremely tedious and the combat is wonky as hell. The world map seems tiny yet sitting in the car driving anywhere is longest loving thing ever. I guess the game looks pretty?? I'm really only playing it because it's a final fantasy game but I can't think of a single aspect of it that I'd consider good or well done.

It took you doing all the side quests to figure out you hated a game? Amazing.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Ventana posted:

Only one hunt at a time in FF13. Accepting a new one made you cancel the current/old one.

This is because the spawn for certain hunts overlaps

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Norns posted:

It took you doing all the side quests to figure out you hated a game? Amazing.

Why is this amazing??

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Why is this amazing??

I usually know after an hour or so if I hate a game

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I then usually stop playing it instead of exhaustively completing it when I hate it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I never said i hated it, I just said it was bad

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Ugh this game is so tedious and awful and not fun

*continues to play it in spite of this and makes post complaining about the same*

idk dude maybe just stop playing the game and move on to something else?

e: and FFX had the best battle system

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I don't see how my playing or not playing the game is relevant. If I stopped playing it now would my comments suddenly become more valid or conversely, if I continue to play the game would they become less valid?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fridge corn posted:

I don't see how my playing or not playing the game is relevant. If I stopped playing it now would my comments suddenly become more valid or conversely, if I continue to play the game would they become less valid?

yes

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Yes because if it's so bad you find zero redeeming value it kind of flips the message to say you're still playing it and will continue to play it. If you hate it so much it doesn't make sense for you to keep playing it unless you're doing a Bad Games Youtube or something

The only people who continue to punish themselves with games they hate are Youtube personalities and professional video game reviewers.

e: to be a little more constructive I will say that the sidequests are like 95% total garbage and also completely unnecessary, if you do the post-game content you'll hit 99 with everyone without even trying. The battle system is also pretty clunky at first but once you get used to it and figure out what's going on it's a lot of fun. Also if you insist on doing the sidequests, Fast Travel is your friend.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joey Freshwater posted:

*continues to play it in spite of this and makes post complaining about the same*

I've done this a bunch. Sometimes you don't have anything better to do despite playing a bad game

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've done this a bunch. Sometimes you don't have anything better to do despite playing a bad game

That's fair. I did watch every episode of Smallville as they aired so

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe I have a high tolerance for bad games cuz i put over 100 hours into DQ Inquisition

Although that game was better than FFXV

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Been there done that.

if play bad game: "Why are you playing bad game if you do not like game"
if don't play bad game: "Didn't play enough of bad game to have opinion on bad game"

Every time.

Not that I'm really talking about FF15 in particular, although I doubt I'm gonna finish the game. It's alright, but I don't see myself spending the time it asks for to complete.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Been there done that.

if play bad game: "Why are you playing bad game if you do not like game"
if don't play bad game: "Didn't play enough of bad game to have opinion on bad game"

Every time.

Not that I'm really talking about FF15 in particular, although I doubt I'm gonna finish the game. It's alright, but I don't see myself spending the time it asks for to complete.

you can do the story in like 10-15 hours max, can't you? it's hard to really call it "asking" for your time.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Like maybe do poo poo you enjoy doing? Idk tho whatever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Norns posted:

Like maybe do poo poo you enjoy doing? Idk tho whatever.

This, playing a game you claim to dislike while constantly complaining about it is pretty lame

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
When I was a child you got one game on your birthday and one on Christmas and that was it so you played the poo poo out of them even if they were as bad as Final Fantasy XV.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

No loving 8 year old is posting about FF15 on something awful dot com

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

When I was a child you got one game on your birthday and one on Christmas and that was it so you played the poo poo out of them even if they were as bad as Final Fantasy XV.

FFXV is good

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Just because it's a bad game doesn't mean I can't get some enjoyment out of playing it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Norns posted:

Happy belated 9th

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This may be weird but I learned that if I don't check reviews and the like. I will enjoy the game more than if i go into with a certain expectation.
I played Nier on a whim and that game blew me away.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Norns posted:

Could have fooled me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011