Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Didn't know there was a doom movie. Going to check that out

Haven't seen it myself but a friends says that the silent hill movie was pretty decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Silent Hill is probably closest in look and feel.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It starts off a pretty decent adaptation of the game but rapidly devolves into a bunch of generic horror movie crap about the halfway mark. It definitely looks the part at least.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And then you have the sequel, which is just terribly, terribly silly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sefal posted:

Didn't know there was a doom movie. Going to check that out

Haven't seen it myself but a friends says that the silent hill movie was pretty decent

Doom movie has the rock in it. Its goofy fun

Sh is terrifying for the first little bit but once plot happens its dumb

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Tomb Raider movies were pretty decent, weren't they?

They're the most early 2000s of movies, and not in a good way. Think Matrix + numetal soundtrack with none of the originality.

I guess they're making a new one now that's going to go with the whole gritty reboot angle of TR2013, so who knows how that's going to turn out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I know. It's going to be bad like literally every game-to-film adaptation ever.

The dude who made mario made a great point about how in a game, the player is taking on the role of the director. With a movie, nothing is being left to the audience.

Gaming narrative is also in its infancy. Like the "story" in 99% of games is total garbage but good gameplay can bypass that.

In a movie, nothing can overcome a bad story.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best game movies (and movie games) get around that by throwing out the story entirely and doing something new with the same tone and general setting. The RE movies are trash but they're the fun kind of trash, not the kind that makes you want your two hours back like most other video game movies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

The best game movies (and movie games) get around that by throwing out the story entirely and doing something new with the same tone and general setting. The RE movies are trash but they're the fun kind of trash, not the kind that makes you want your two hours back like most other video game movies.

Mortal Kombat was somehow both accurate to the movie and 'good' in the right way for a Mortal Kombat film.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I don't know why but I have the Doom movie, I haven't watched it in years but I remember hating the loving guts of one of the characters for being really creepy and stuff towards like the single female character in the story.

At least it's better than ULTRAMARINES THE MOVIE COLON HEAD WOUND COLON FATAL.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Street fighter is a great comedy movie. Not really faithful to the games from what I know (but lol who cares about a fighting games story).

Also Raul Julia owns as M. Bison so hard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I can't hate Mortal Kombat. It's not a "good" film by any standard but it manages to be fun and treats its source material with the appropriate amount of schlock. My favorite fact about that movie is that the fight between Johnny Cage and Scorpion wasn't originally in the script at all, but Paul W.S. Anderson felt like putting in another fight scene and had the actors choreograph the entire thing in a day on broken up pieces of other sets. Nowadays a move like that would have to be approved by two committees and bring back all six original screenwriters to come up with some one-liners for the scene.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ularg posted:

I don't know why but I have the Doom movie, I haven't watched it in years but I remember hating the loving guts of one of the characters for being really creepy and stuff towards like the single female character in the story.

At least it's better than ULTRAMARINES THE MOVIE COLON HEAD WOUND COLON FATAL.

Ultramarines is a dumb fun movie heretic, AND WE SHALL KNOW NO FEAR! :black101:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

My favorite fact about that movie is that the fight between Johnny Cage and Scorpion wasn't originally in the script at all, but Paul W.S. Anderson felt like putting in another fight scene and had the actors choreograph the entire thing in a day on broken up pieces of other sets.

Choreographed in a day but clearly much more work went into it given the special effects needed throughout the fight for Scorpion's moves and death. Crazy if that fight wasn't part of the original movie, though. It's one of the best!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I finally started Arkham Knight and maybe its just because I haven't played an Arkham game since Asylum was released but its rad as hell. Can see the batmobile getting tiresome though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

I finally started Arkham Knight and maybe its just because I haven't played an Arkham game since Asylum was released but its rad as hell. Can see the batmobile getting tiresome though.

Arkham Knight isn't that bad really, it's just disappointing + the disaster of a PC release.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ramagamma posted:

It absolutely does, don't try to 100% it if you value your sanity.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ramagamma posted:

I didn't get tired of it until very near the end but your Batmobile mileage may vary. Otherwise I had a blast with that game. It's too bad the car was the big focus because the team-up fights were much more interesting and a way to progress the combat system beyond simply giving Batman more moves but the team-ups were a fairly superficial (but fun!) element of two of the side mission storylines. They could have developed the team-up fights into something more complex and integral to the entire game.

Also wish there were way more Two Face side missions.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Ramagamma posted:

Really enjoyed most of the game but there are some forced unskippable batmoblie stealth sequences later on that are a massive pain and almost brought the whole game down for me.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Real talk: the most accurate video game movie is probably Ratchet & Clank

The most interesting is probably Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

The worst is probably Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (I still like it tho)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Spirits Within was terrible and not interesting.

Prince of Persia was a blatant attempt at catching Pirates of the Caribbean lightning in a bottle again, with the only middle eastern person in the Prince of PERSIA movie being the villain. Way to go Gisney.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I know people make a big deal out of Jake Gyllenhall being cast in Prince of Persia, which was dumb, but Persians are ethnically white. Their depiction in 300 is way more offensive if you're going purely from an ethnic-accurate point of view.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What is white?

baby don't hurt me
don't hurt me
no more

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

zenintrude posted:

Advent Children is amazing if you have a tolerance for S-Es writing. I can't think of another video game movie that so perfectly emulates the writing and coherency of its source material. The problem for some fans is that the S-E at the time was pretty different from when they produced FF7. Remember that this is the company that made the Kingdom Hearts series, a Disney product people have spent years trying to decipher and untangle.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Prince of Persia was a blatant attempt at catching Pirates of the Caribbean lightning in a bottle again, with the only middle eastern person in the Prince of PERSIA movie being the villain. Way to go Gisney.

Ben Kingsley?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Persians are some of the most OG caucasians on the planet if you really think about it. Iran = land of the Aryans, after all. The truly baffling thing is that Hollywood thinks the only difference between a white dude and a middle eastern white dude is a little smoky eyeshadow.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Advent Children Complete was a pretty fun movie I enjoyed. Recently re watched it with a friend and I feel that it holds up pretty well as a dumb pop corn movie. Though it is pretty jarring how the new scenes are better looking than the rest.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Persians are some of the most OG caucasians on the planet if you really think about it. Iran = land of the Aryans, after all. The truly baffling thing is that Hollywood thinks the only difference between a white dude and a middle eastern white dude is a little smoky eyeshadow.

It's not Hollywood. White people in general haven't let in Iranians into their invite-only club.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bombadilillo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bdPljUz7qs

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The best video game movie is The Girl With All The Gifts. More faithful to the source material than most adaptations, too.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Sefal posted:

Advent Children Complete was a pretty fun movie I enjoyed. Recently re watched it with a friend and I feel that it holds up pretty well as a dumb pop corn movie. Though it is pretty jarring how the new scenes are better looking than the rest.

Agreed, its a dumb fun little excuse to watch non Dorito cloud and Sepiroth fight. It didn't take itself seriously, and nor should anyone else.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Mortal Combat
It's Mortal Kombat, dude, jesus christ. :-O

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Advent Children felt like awful fanfiction given a budget. It felt like it had no purpose other than showing these characters again.

I said this in cined but the problem with most game movies is that the actual games they're based on are highly derivative just borrowing sloppily from better movies with the actual appeal coming in the gameplay.when you strip out the gameplay you're left with something that really can't stand on its own. Hell, while still not great, the reason the Silent Hill movie was good at all was because in the game, the gameplay isn't the star of the show and the most memorable parts of it are stuff you can do in a movie. In theory that's true for FF as well but those movies just sucked for other reasons

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Call me crazy but I kind of liked Hitman (the first one with Timothy Olyphant, the 2nd one is just garbage). Sure it drifts from the game and people wanted Jason Statham because he's bald already but the film was a good action movie in my opinion. Doom was dumb fun with The Rock, I hated at first that he wasn't Doomguy but I have a soft spot for Carl Urban and his Dredd was loving amazing.

I also liked the first RE and Silent Hill movies. Mortal Kombat owned and I treated Street Fighter like an action comedy (wich really was).

Anyone else watched... POSTAL? Because I watched it back in the day without looking at the tittle and only noticed that it was a Postal movie when Crotchy showed and then oh my... I hate Uwe Boll but points for getting killed in his own movie.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

zenintrude posted:

Real talk: the most accurate video game movie is probably Ratchet & Clank

The most interesting is probably Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

The Ratchet and Clank movie also benefits from being animated and having Insomniac assist with the film. Whenever there's a live action adaptation of something it tends to fall flat because the writers seem to have some aversion to staying true to the source material.

The only comparison I can think of that worked is the recent Marvel adaptations. They strayed from "canon" character origins and plotlines, but it works for them because characters have been killed and rebooted so much that the movies are simply another facet of that. Video game movies don't have that luxury because players expect them to have characters that look and talk like they did in the games and it doesn't happen.

Also, I wouldn't consider Advent Children in the same vein as Street Fighter and Tomb Raider since it was made entirely by SE and continued an existing plot rather than taking the original cast and plot and tweaking everything. Otherwise you'd end up with a movie about Sephiroth the maniacal, joke-telling, crime boss intent on ruling Midgard and only Cloud can stop him. Because that's exactly what you'd get if Hollywood made an FF7 movie.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Anyone who wanted/wants Statham as 47 hasn't thought very hard about why they like him in the roles he's had if they want a Hitman movie to stay true to the games too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I like Statham in action movies but he is everything but subtle. He is more about punching 5 guys in the face while showing his torso.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

The right person to play Agent 47 is Michael Shannon, but no one would ever cast him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The true Hitman movie should be like Run Lola Run, where you see the same assassination happen multiple ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A Hitman movie should be like Final Destination except at the end you see it was a bald guy in various disguises that set up the deaths.