Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elfgames posted:

mearls has also said that every edition of D&D sells better than the last, they could probably release 6th ed tomorrow and as long as it doesn't burst into flames on opening it will probably sell better than 5th

Yeah, a tweet like that can mean many different things and he's never expanded on it. Considering Mearls has a history of talking out of both sides of his mouth to make himself appear better, I wouldn't take that as proof of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Endie posted:

The worst one comes immediately after that.

I dunno, I started with 5e as my introduction to ttrpgs in general. I've now moved on/back to 4e and savage worlds as my favourite systems. 5th j only play because it's easiest to find players and gms.

Can still have fun with it though.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Spiteski posted:

I dunno, I started with 5e as my introduction to ttrpgs in general. I've now moved on/back to 4e and savage worlds as my favourite systems. 5th j only play because it's easiest to find players and gms.

Can still have fun with it though.

Yeah it's honoured more in the breach than the observance as traditions go (I played 1st edn first, but my emotional and illogical favourite might well be 3.0) but it's kinda a tradition to joke about : https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/08/23

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endie posted:

Forgive my scepticism about your detachment and powers of critical thinking but you're the person who said that the reason 5th edition was a bad game was that some dudes who worked on it were shitlers. That spells bad news for the paintings of the murderer Caravaggio or the works of boy-fiddler Flaubert.

Laugh my butt off IRL. How are you this dense.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Turtlicious posted:

Laugh my butt off IRL. How are you this dense.

You're right I'm super dense oh no wait just one second you actually did say that:

Turtlicious posted:

5e is bad, because the authors of 5e Dox transgenders and members of the LGBTQ community, posting their information publically, and out them to their family members over disagreements.

Or are you claiming that the works of Caravaggio and Flaubert are bad because their creators were bad, too?

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

koreban posted:

It really depends on the enemies, but your spell attack bonus is Prof + Wis Mod vs. targets' AC. Whereas Spell Save DC is 8+ Prof + Mod.

Speaking very, very generally.

Considering a +3 Wis modifier (So you maxed Wis) for +5 to spell attack bonus, you're going up against target AC. Chances of success casting a Spell Attack cantrip (that the cleric doesn't normally get):

Skeletons are 13 (50%), Zombies are 7 (65%), Humans can be from 10 (commoner) to 17 (veteran), so this varies a lot (40-75%). Goblins 15-17 (40-50%), Gnolls 15 (50%).

For Spell Save DC attacks like Sacred Flame, at level 1 your 8 +proficiency modifier already makes you 50% successful against your opponent's die. Give yourself +2 to Wis mod, and you're at 60%. Then you're up against the creature's Wis modifier for their roll, which tends to be low for low level opponents.

If you're fighting skeletons and zombies, their Wis mod tends to be -2, so you're looking at 70% chance of success. Thugs, veterans, bad mans tend to have +0, so 60% chance. Kobolds are at -2 (70%), goblins are -1 (65%), gnolls are +0 (60%), and on and on.

I'm not a statistician and I'll drop a caveat that I could be completely wrong in how I'm calculating this, but my fingers and toes math says it's better to force an opponent's save than go up against AC early on.

You don't force an enemy to save against the your spellcasting ability score. You force them to save against whatever each individual spell tells them to save against. In the case of Sacred Flame, that calls for a dex save. Skeletons have +2 on those, so the skeleton would need to roll an 11 or better to save against your spell save DC of 13 (50% chance). Also, you might want to double check your math for the attack rolls. To hit 13 AC with a +5 attack bonus, you'd need to roll 8 or better (65% chance).

I've been putting together a list tracking saving throw/magic defense bonuses for creatures in the MM, and the trend I see is that it's actually better to make attack rolls in many cases. Against high CR enemies, especially, unless you know its saving throw blind spot, you're looking at a <40% chance of landing a spell successfully.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this copypaste of old boardgame rules is a lot like these classical works of art because,

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Really Pants posted:

this copypaste of old boardgame rules is a lot like these classical works of art because,

neither example is remotely near classical period soz m8

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Referencing the discussion about social skills from a few pages ago, I need some build advice. My 10 Charisma control wizard (in Adventurer's League) frequently winds up as the party's face because every other regular player at my table just wants to kick in doors and bash things on the head, including the high-level bard/paladin with 20 Charisma. I consider myself pretty good at the social skill improv thing and can frequently come up with compelling arguments or bluffs, but the DM is kind of a dick and doesn't give me advantage on the rolls unless the module explicitly tells him to once I say the magic word the NPC specifically wants to hear. I also don't have any charm spells in my spellbook, and if I did preparing them would cost me valuable slots that I could be using for debuffs, defense, and scouting.

I've just hit Level 9 and get an ability score increase. (I'm a level delayed on those from a 1-level Cleric dip.) Since my proficiency bonus just went up, I'm wondering if it's worth forgoing an Intelligence bump or the War Caster feat in order to pick up Skilled, which would give me proficiency in Bluff, Persuasion, and Insight. Getting my +4 proficiency bonus on these skills is very tempting, since I'm rolling them far, far more often than a wizard should be.

Bumping my 16 intelligence to an 18 won't help me in the short term, since I have a Headband of Intellect that's providing me with a flat 19 Intelligence score, although it would cost me getting a 20 Intelligence with my next bump. The War Caster feat is great because it would give me advantage on Concentration checks, which as a control wizard I really want, but I'm smart enough in combat that I rarely wind up taking damage; plus, I already have proficiency in Constitution saves thanks to the Resilient feat.

Should I give up a major source of combat effectiveness for a significant boost to something I'm not supposed to be doing, which might be irrelevant when in a party with other players?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Slippery42 posted:

You don't force an enemy to save against the your spellcasting ability score. You force them to save against whatever each individual spell tells them to save against. In the case of Sacred Flame, that calls for a dex save. Skeletons have +2 on those, so the skeleton would need to roll an 11 or better to save against your spell save DC of 13 (50% chance). Also, you might want to double check your math for the attack rolls. To hit 13 AC with a +5 attack bonus, you'd need to roll 8 or better (65% chance).

Yup, I forgot about the Dex instead of Wis part of Sacred Flame. I put that math caveat in there because I couldn't shake that I was getting some part of it wrong, and that was it.

quote:

I've been putting together a list tracking saving throw/magic defense bonuses for creatures in the MM, and the trend I see is that it's actually better to make attack rolls in many cases. Against high CR enemies, especially, unless you know its saving throw blind spot, you're looking at a <40% chance of landing a spell successfully.

Yeah, at higher levels against higher CR characters, that tends to be the case because both your proficiency bonus and spell ability bonus tend to increase, but AC has less of an upward slope as CR increases. That's why I did the calculations for low levels, figuring on starting stats and the +2 proficiency bonus levels.

In the context of the cleric/warlock multiclass that spurned the discussion, by mid-high levels, depending on how you spread the multiclass levels distribution, I could make the case that you're better off pumping Cha for Eldrich Blast and limiting your Wis-based spell selections for things that don't require spell attack rolls or spell save DCs like Bane, Bless, Warding Bond, Shield, Dispel Magic and Healing Word.

Want to use a weapon instead? Green Flame Blade for double-dip Cha bonus fire damage against your second target.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

blastron posted:

Should I give up a major source of combat effectiveness for a significant boost to something I'm not supposed to be doing, which might be irrelevant when in a party with other players?

Are you actually going to end up with a group of other players? Like some sort of adventure league or whatever.

If not I think it's fair to argue that you should build for the job you have not the job you want.

You're a wziard, you're going to be relevant in combat no matter what you do so trying to eke out a bit more effectiveness isn't super relevant and I'd be inclined just to tweak your personality/character a bit and come up with a reason your guy might start developoing better speaking abilities related to being forced into a party face role.

That said your group sounds real lovely if nobody else wants to roleplay and your DM is heavily following a pre-made to the letter, so my condolences there.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Why would mearls say anything other than "Yes, my latest work was super successful and I'm great" in response to a tweet like that

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Gort posted:

Why would mearls say anything other than "Yes, my latest work was super successful and I'm great" in response to a tweet like that

Hasbro is publicly traded so employees are held to some standards about things like reporting performance.

He could also ignore that and hope he gets away with it?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Arivia posted:

Yeah, but not about this. You'll just have to learn how to deal with disagreement.

Out of all the poo poo you've posted over the years this might be the funniest and most hypocritical.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Arivia posted:

You obviously have no idea how this sort of thing works. I'm guessing you're a white cishet man who's never really had to think about actual problems before. Time to grow up, child!

Just because you like to give up after your first plan fails and spend the rest of your life whining doesn't mean that's how it works in the real world.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Agent355 posted:

Here's why I like 5e.

I like relatively light weight combat. I think combat should enable players to be cool and do cool things and you don't need to drag it out or make it complex to do that.

I like dealing with the stats/skills I already know how to use and my players are already familiar with, obviously I could learn new ones and thats fine too but I still enjoy using ones I'm familiar with.

I like the overall turned down power level, or at least the theory they were working with. I don't like dealing with thousands of multipliers.

Overall the system is easy enough to play and keep from actively getting in the way when I DM (or play as a player) and lets me get to the meat of what I like, the roleplaying and world building.

Here's what I don't like about 5e:

martial/wizard balance

monster CR balance

end of list

Everything else I'm either ambivalent about or isn't a big enough issue for me to actually care. I know people don't like the 'ask your dm stuff' and I get the argument, it just doesn't actually bother me at all.

I have now ensured at least 10 more posts of argument.

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/improved-monster-stats-table-for-dd-5th-edition/

this goon's blog post solves your second problem.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Yeah, a tweet like that can mean many different things and he's never expanded on it. Considering Mearls has a history of talking out of both sides of his mouth to make himself appear better, I wouldn't take that as proof of anything.

I meant that mearls literally said"every edition of D&D has outsold the last one"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Sorry folks, I meant to re-open this sooner but my last few days have been packed. Hopefully you have used this time to cool off.

I am glad that this thread has gone this long without Posting About Posting, but just as a reminder: This is a thread for general 5E discussion, so whatever you want to post it is probably welcome here. That said, some goons have and will come to this thread because they are new to the game or the hobby and would like to post questions. They do not care about your edition arguments and they definitely do not care about your sick dunks on other people's posting.

If your posting is loving up the thread for those folks, you should make better posts. Don't post just to slag people off, or tell them to gently caress off out of the thread, or whatever. If someone comes to the thread for help you don't need to tell them 5E sucks (though if a rec for another game could solve their issue then go ahead). If you absolutely have to tell people they're wrong, add something to it besides implying they must be damaged or something. You should be able to work out what good posting is on your own really.

Anyway, the 5E thread is back! I'd appreciate it if you just dropped that discussion now. The chat thread proposed a new version of this old 5E advice thread, so if someone wants to do a better OP feel free to :justpost:. Either way, please post good here. God bless.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Since it has a proper home again, crossposting where things went on the first outing with that warforged cleric:

I went to a session at a church where everyone is pretty new including the DMs. The DMing was pretty bleh and two guys desperately need the sword of the law to come down on them (plus some alignment shifts).

After a fight with some basilisks, one NPC and one party member were both petrified and our low-level crew lacked the tools to help either. Our NPC rendezvous showed up with only one restoration potion. When someone was like "hey let's see if any of these other statues look like maybe the type who could fix everyone and we can kill a lot of birds with one stone," it became a story conceit that when the statues became weatherbeaten or broken, they were beyond recovery.

Our lawful evil paladin instantly breaks a finger off the NPC statue to force the decision. If he had a good character reason for it, this would actually be pretty sweet. But it's mostly him and another guy flouting authority for the hell of it and the DM didn't have the heart to do anything about it.

I'm probably not returning, but one guy brought his kid to play and he thought my character was THE COOLEST poo poo IN THE WORLD. I used Forge domain cleric's Artisan's Blessing to build him a new dagger. It has totally mundane stats but I sat with him and planned out how awesome it was gonna look just so he'd have something cool. We settled on a color-treated blade and a hilt and pommel stylized to look like a dwarf's head. Blade had copper-inlaid dwarven runes. Very rad. I suggested he come up with a name for the dagger. I think the overall experience was negative but it was cool to get this kid thinking of stuff beyond "I attack the goblin"

Additionally, one of the two DMs is bending on the warlock rule if patron is Undying Light. We'll see if I can get the approval of both. If so, I might wanna reflavor or homebrew a familiar. Like I figure a construct who worships a forge god and has a lot of identity questions tied up in the creative act might try, after coming in contact with the positive plane, to emulate his creators and make life of his own. But none of the pact boon familiars feel thematically on point with the patron. Might try to homebrew either a Will o the Wisp or like a miniature golem. Reflavoring a quasit would be pretty sick for magic resistance but I'm at level 2 with 19 AC so maybe I don't wanna powergame it that hard.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's weird to hear about people playing D&D in a church when there are still a not inconsiderable amount of churches (in the United States anyway) that think D&D equates to heathen witchcraft.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There are as many different sects of Christianity as there are players of D&D, and I feel this statement might only be slightly hyperbolic.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

remusclaw posted:

There are as many different sects of Christianity as there are players of D&D, and I feel this statement might only be slightly hyperbolic.

Uh, I didn't say all churches though (and explicitly defined it within a geographical region), so I fail to see how it's hyperbolic? :confused: The point stands that there are many congregations (like Southern Baptists, who make up a part of my family) that still have early-1980s views on Dungeons & Dragons. And it is from that personal context that it surprises me that anyone plays it in a church setting, regardless of whether or not that congregation is so orthodox that it forces their women to wear ankle-length skirts, or if it's the hippiest of hippy Unitarian Universalist communities.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
On the other hand, Derek White (online as the GeekPreacher) is a Methodist minister, was friends with Gary, and does a Sunday morning faith service at GaryCon every year.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

They still have the rule against sorcerers and warlocks because of how those words sound to the old church members so it's not like completely enlightened, but yeah at least we're out of the 1980s Satanic Ritual Abuse panic mindset

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I have a feeling the UU Church I belong to would let me run games that were actual demonic rituals.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Could you go into more detail about what you mean by the paladin flaunting authority over the DM?

Is he just literally a kind of poo poo player who wants to gently caress up the narrative for the GM/other players as a power trip?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Drone posted:

Uh, I didn't say all churches though (and explicitly defined it within a geographical region), so I fail to see how it's hyperbolic? :confused: The point stands that there are many congregations (like Southern Baptists, who make up a part of my family) that still have early-1980s views on Dungeons & Dragons. And it is from that personal context that it surprises me that anyone plays it in a church setting, regardless of whether or not that congregation is so orthodox that it forces their women to wear ankle-length skirts, or if it's the hippiest of hippy Unitarian Universalist communities.

I didn't mean your statement was hyperbolic, I meant mine. Sorry about being misleading, I didn't notice it could be taken that way when I wrote it.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 13, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Agent355 posted:

Could you go into more detail about what you mean by the paladin flaunting authority over the DM?

Is he just literally a kind of poo poo player who wants to gently caress up the narrative for the GM/other players as a power trip?

Allowing anyone to play Lawful Evil in a game where everyone else isn't also a flavor of evil is a recipe for disaster. The DM, being new, has not yet found how to be authoritative without sounding tyrannical. It's a tough skill to learn.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Agent355 posted:

The authority I'm talking about was more the NPC authority over us. We're members of some kind of group (the exact nature of it wasn't clear because the guy really isn't a strong communicator.) He just doomed one of the NPC members to an eternity of stone right in front of his superiors and during a routine dust-up while making camp, the other guy threw a goblin head at said superior. Later the Paladin started mocking the guy with the stone finger from our companion.

I feel like if you murdered the assistant manager at McDonald's there'd be some problems about that, and even more if you start laughing at your boss for him taking offense at it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The authority I'm talking about was more the NPC authority over us. We're members of some kind of group (the exact nature of it wasn't clear because the guy really isn't a strong communicator.) He just doomed one of the NPC members to an eternity of stone right in front of his superiors and during a routine dust-up while making camp, the other guy threw a goblin head at said superior. Later the Paladin started mocking the guy with the stone finger from our companion.

I feel like if you murdered the assistant manager at McDonald's there'd be some problems about that, and even more if you start laughing at your boss for him taking offense at it.

That does not sound very lawful evil.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Every Alignment story is another argument for ditching Alignment and replacing it with the 13A Icon thing using Harpers, Zhentarim, etc. As the Icons.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

That does not sound very lawful evil.

Every "evil" aligned PC boils down to just wanting an excuse to be an over-the-top dickhead

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

I have a feeling the UU Church I belong to would let me run games that were actual demonic rituals.

Life is a mystery, who's to say Satan doesn't have things to teach us too?

Edit: Like considering I've been to UU services where people read their Harry Potter fanfiction, I honestly don't think D&D would be a big deal.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 13, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Razorwired posted:

Every Alignment story is another argument for ditching Alignment and replacing it with the 13A Icon thing using Harpers, Zhentarim, etc. As the Icons.

The problem with this is how diverse FR's power groups are. And in that diversity there's just not many relatively even groups that can be formally balanced against each other like the 13A icons are. AL had to mess with poo poo a lot to get 5, let alone 13.

Deities would probably work better tbh. Same infrastructure as 13A icons, more and more diverse while relatively even. And everyone in FR is tied to a deity.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That sounds pretty far from okay.

In my 4e campaign my character is best described as an angry druid who supports balance and nature and sorta resents cities which he just sees as awful wicked places.

We had to fight some sort of arena battle in front of an audience to prove ourselves for something or other, and my guy used his abilities to toss a huge (5x5, gargantuan? Colossal? I can never remember) dragon across the entire arena and into the crowd of spectators, crushing a few.

It was 'accidental' in that it was a good combat move given the scenario but it was also totally within his character to just disregard the lives of these people who he considered to be impure, the sort of people who would go to blood sports and not participate.

I got convicted of murder for that and had to explain my way out of it. I don't think I did a very good job of making a case for myself but the DM let me off the hook anyway probably just to prevent the party from dividing.

As bad as I was in that moment that paladin sounds way worse.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The DM's response was to have the guy in a completely fair fistfight against the NPC leader and of course the leader lost horribly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The DM's response was to have the guy in a completely fair fistfight against the NPC leader and of course the leader lost horribly.

Should have made the NPC leader a monk.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Arivia posted:

The problem with this is how diverse FR's power groups are. And in that diversity there's just not many relatively even groups that can be formally balanced against each other like the 13A icons are. AL had to mess with poo poo a lot to get 5, let alone 13.

Deities would probably work better tbh. Same infrastructure as 13A icons, more and more diverse while relatively even. And everyone in FR is tied to a deity.

Just use the 9 that are salient to the campaign. Isn't that the de facto advice whenever anyone complains about the million kings and cults and bullshit in FR?

(Don't use Ithe actual Icon Dice unless you have a really good plan for them.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arivia posted:

Life is a mystery, who's to say Satan doesn't have things to teach us too?

Edit: Like considering I've been to UU services where people read their Harry Potter fanfiction, I honestly don't think D&D would be a big deal.
It really, really would not be.

Readings at our services have ranged from Lord of the Rings to Shel Silverstein and everything in-between. The sermon - such as it was - this past week was literally a Mad Lib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Huzzah, the thread is back!

So to re-iterate, I recently joined an Adventurer's League game I'm still curious about write-ups on 5e that cover mistakes, or rules issues that come up often in the game, or problems that players and the DM will often stumble onto and a good resolution can be hard to figure out during the game itself (ex. how to handle skill checks that don't always map to the default attribute). Some previous suggestions were to read Professor Cirno's robust posts on 5e, I haven't been able to find those, so if any can point me to those it would be great. There's also a blog post here about encounter difficulties: http://slyflourish.com/5e_encounter_building.html but I've never DM'd any game, so I can't compare how hard 5e vs. literally anything. Maybe that just means I need to buy my DM more beer for making encounters? In any case, blog posts are welcomed to that tackle issues like this.

Or, you know, maybe talk about some 'gotcha' moments or problem areas you've had and how you solved them so if it comes up in our game, I can make the same suggestions and we all don't get bogged down wondering what to do or how to handle it sanely.