Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Part 2 of the Launch Celebration special maps is up, so don't forget to snag your easy 6 orbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Fwiw three 35-40s and a level 1 (or just underman it with the three) will get you like a 3.6k arena score which is more than good enough for pretty decent rewards.

P decent XP since you end up running into all those newb farming teams where it's like one level 40 and a bunch of lowbie crap.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is it worth upgrading yesterday's free Olivia to 3 star if I have no other dancers?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

:argh: Just lost a unit on an arena map because the game registered my one tap as two when I moved a unit and auto-ended their turn instead of attacking the guy I moved them next to.

I hate mobile gaming sometimes.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

HGH posted:

Is it worth upgrading yesterday's free Olivia to 3 star if I have no other dancers?

Definitely so, a dancer has incredibly utility and the feather cost is tiny at the 1-2* stage. The biggest pain is actually getting her to 20.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

:argh: Just lost a unit on an arena map because the game registered my one tap as two when I moved a unit and auto-ended their turn instead of attacking the guy I moved them next to.

I hate mobile gaming sometimes.

Turn on confirm move

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Clarste posted:

If you have Nino, you can use any dancer to pull 100% safely:

Olivia was the free Special Map today, but getting her to 3* so she can learn dance can be a pain.

That's helpful! Unfortunately, while I am making some headway, I'm sadly finding myself unable to beat it. I kill a few but then the bloody mages kills my rear end.

I pull them in with Sophia/Nino, put Lyn and Marth up for defense. Should I be retreating to the sides, instead of just meeting them in the choke point?

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 13, 2017

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Turn on confirm move

This was with it on. My screen spazzed out and screwed me as a result.

I wish there was a decent iPhone controller that this game was compatible with.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Idk how useful Draug is, but getting + spd / - res is gonna hurt if he wants to tank at all. From my last pull set I got Saizo as well at 4*. Too bad he has a -atk / +res nature and is gonna be completely useless.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In my time since posting here last, I made some targeted pulls, and, in addition to some less-useful things, would up with a 4* Camilla and a 3* (now 4*) Robin, so that's fun. Finally got some good blue/green characters. Got them both into their 30's, though Camilla's lagging a bit because she's harder to keep alive. Also my 5* Jeorge seems to be +Def -Res, which is disappointing, but he still kills things really well so it's not too bad, and the Parthia's effect somewhat makes up for the resistance weakness, while Roy is +Atk -Res.

Couple questions. First, does a character's stat growth change if you increase their rarity, or would a +Atk or whatever character keep that when changed from 4* to 5*?

Second, why does every tier list put Lyn so high? She feels like she's really falling off for me; I'm using Roy over her now that I can run a party with a good character for every color, because he deals more damage normally and utterly annihilates any green thing he comes across, whereas Lyn feels weaker in pretty much all situations. Add in him having Shove (though I need that less now that I'm not using Effie) versus her having skills that take too long to charge, and she just feels worse.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Roland Jones posted:

In my time since posting here last, I made some targeted pulls, and, in addition to some less-useful things, would up with a 4* Camilla and a 3* (now 4*) Robin, so that's fun. Finally got some good blue/green characters. Got them both into their 30's, though Camilla's lagging a bit because she's harder to keep alive. Also my 5* Jeorge seems to be +Def -Res, which is disappointing, but he still kills things really well so it's not too bad, and the Parthia's effect somewhat makes up for the resistance weakness, while Roy is +Atk -Res.

Couple questions. First, does a character's stat growth change if you increase their rarity, or would a +Atk or whatever character keep that when changed from 4* to 5*?

Second, why does every tier list put Lyn so high? She feels like she's really falling off for me; I'm using Roy over her now that I can run a party with a good character for every color, because he deals more damage normally and utterly annihilates any green thing he comes across, whereas Lyn feels weaker in pretty much all situations. Add in him having Shove (though I need that less now that I'm not using Effie) versus her having skills that take too long to charge, and she just feels worse.

I can answer the first one at least: If your unit has an inclination towards Atk (or any of the other stats) when they upgrade to from fewer stars to more stars, they still keep that inclination, so if your Roy was 4* (actually I have no idea about what * your Roy is, I'm just using him as an example since you told us his nature) and you decided to upgrade him to 5*, he'd still get more Atk and less Res than what he should get on average at Lv. 40.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Folt The Bolt posted:

I can answer the first one at least: If your unit has an inclination towards Atk (or any of the other stats) when they upgrade to from fewer stars to more stars, they still keep that inclination, so if your Roy was 4* (actually I have no idea about what * your Roy is, I'm just using him as an example since you told us his nature) and you decided to upgrade him to 5*, he'd still get more Atk and less Res than what he should get on average at Lv. 40.

Alright, thanks. My Roy is actually 5*, I just used +Atk as an example, but that's good to know. I'll keep that in mind in case I happen to draw any duplicates of things I'm considering making 5* (which I can't quite do just yet, not particularly close to the emblems or the feathers, but it's good to know still).

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Another penta pull with a 5*!

...aaand it's Roy. So now I have four 5* reds, three of which are Sword Lords. I even pulled from the second banner to lower my odds of getting more reds, but nooo. :shepicide:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

She's a swordlord, and one is pretty much mandatory to have in order to take apart Hectors. Olivia teams make especially good use of her, since dancing can actually let her activate galeforce before dying,, in which case she kills like 3 guys in one turn. Olivia + Lyn + 2 ranged attackers is an incredible kiting team on paper, especially if one of them is Robin.

Without Olivia she's basically just Lucina except made out of paper-mache and unable to kill manaketes

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Andrast posted:

You really shouldn't worry about character performance until they are near 40 since the stats can wary a lot between units until max level. Your Abel just didn't get his attack/speed growths early.
poo poo, I should have held onto him. But still, feathering him means I'm a lot closer to a 5-star Roy, and I need a Hector buster more than a Lord-buster.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiterpallasch posted:

She's a swordlord, and one is pretty much mandatory to have in order to take apart Hectors. Olivia teams make especially good use of her, since dancing can actually let her activate galeforce before dying,, in which case she kills like 3 guys in one turn. Olivia + Lyn + 2 ranged attackers is an incredible kiting team on paper, especially if one of them is Robin.

Without Olivia she's basically just Lucina except made out of paper-mache and unable to kill manaketes

Okay, that makes sense. I'm not running Olivia, so I'm probably better off with Roy I suppose. I may have to build an Olivia up at some point to try that out though, because that sounds fun. Though, yeah, her being so defensively weak hasn't felt great, particularly since he has those <50% HP abilities and yet it's hard to actually use them because she tends to not survive long if she hits that point, or just goes right past it and into death.

Either way, thanks for the information. That explains a lot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I've been running Chrom/Tiki (y)/Robin/Camilla with a fair bit of success.

They're all 5* and I've got a 5* Corrin (m) and a 4* Olivia in the wings, with nothing else that's really of note at the moment.

Should I alter my team to incorporate my spares? Looking at all the chatter I should be looking to sub out Chrom, but he's been an absolute beast for just murdering dragons and tanking hits.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I like Effie hitting lords with swords, it warms me on some primal level as she impales their sparkly 5* asses at 4*

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 13, 2017

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Random observation: most units have a pose for when they attack and then an alternate pose for when they do a special (even if they don't actually have a special attack) that's a slight variation of their normal attacking pose, usually with a more intense expression or action swirls or something.

Gunter not only has an great action pose for his regular attack, but has a totally awesome redrawn alternate pose for his (nonexistent) special attack!

It's the weirdest detail. I haven't found another unit with that much difference between their shots. Also as a bonus, his "wounded" pose is similarly badass. If you happened to unlock him in the daily event a few days ago, it's worth checking them out in the unit screen.

What I'm saying is, everyone should use Gunter.

Edit: Proof cause I'm bored at work:

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 13, 2017

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

All good reasons to use Gunter, but you forget the most important one:

He's voiced by the guy who did Albert Wesker

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Random observation: most units have a pose for when they attack and then an alternate pose for when they do a special (even if they don't actually have a special attack) that's a slight variation of their normal attacking pose, usually with a more intense expression or action swirls or something.

Gunter not only has an great action pose for his regular attack, but has a totally awesome redrawn alternate pose for his (nonexistent) special attack!

It's the weirdest detail. I haven't found another unit with that much difference between their shots. Also as a bonus, his "wounded" pose is similarly badass. If you happened to unlock him in the daily event a few days ago, it's worth checking them out in the unit screen.

What I'm saying is, everyone should use Gunter.

This game often has Kantai Collection levels of lack of unified character art style.

cheetah7071 posted:

I can't believe that this time tomorrow I'll be whaling for Judgral characters

:same:

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

The new fad in Arena seems to be lvl 1 Olivias. They got the 2* one from the mission, leveled them up to get SP for Dance, then promoted them to have Dance at 3* lvl 1. Also literally every team in Advanced has a Hector at the moment. It's ridiculous.

Despite that, managed to get 3.6k score by just bringing my 5* Lucina, 5* Tiki and my 4* Camilla.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 13, 2017

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
maybe i'm just lucky because i got a +speed tiki, but hector has been a free kill in all my games :shrug:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

yergacheffe posted:

All good reasons to use Gunter, but you forget the most important one:

He's voiced by the guy who did Albert Wesker

He also does Wrys. Still not as great as Cam Clarke voicing Arthur tho.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Clawtopsy posted:

maybe i'm just lucky because i got a +speed tiki, but hector has been a free kill in all my games :shrug:

I just load up Aether on Chrom in the two hours it takes for Hector to close on me and then instantly murder him.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

He's not too terrible to kill with Lucina and Tiki, but if you don't have good Sword Lords or Young Tiki, I'd imagine he wrecks people.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I've been using my level 30 Gunter to get the "Kill enemies with Cavalry" objective. He's been pretty excellent. Glad he's getting appreciation. If there's ever a cavalry meta his last passive will be great, but right now even his unupgraded one boosts my damage a ton.

As for the art for seemingly nonexistent specials: enemy TrainingTower versions can have them. So yesterday I ran into a Gunter with Draconic Aura and that's the art it used. Still, I can't rule out an update that lets us buy skills for prohibitive costs.

Also I just saw the datamined Christmas Tharja/Robin. They're really prepping alt versions in advance huh?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

This game often has Kantai Collection levels of lack of unified character art style.

So I'm not the only one who thinks Arthur sticks out like a sore thumb?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

So I'm not the only one who thinks Arthur sticks out like a sore thumb?

More like a shining beacon.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The fact that every character portrait includes the artist's name means they're not really shy about the variance in styles.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It was made pretty explicit in the announcement Direct that all the non-OC character portraits were guest art in the vein of Awakening's DLC.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Send help.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

Lyn's deal is that she's a pure sweeper. She frail and finicky and requires a lot of set up compared to most other characters, but outside of Abel there's basically nobody that survives a 51+ ATK, 16 MT Brave Sword to the face. Lucina and Marth aren't designed to wipe out teams on their own, but Falchion makes them excellent at shredding all the meta tanks and they're just generically good and useful in practically any setup. Lyn doesn't slot into a lot of lineups that way because while having a Hector counter is mandatory, having a slot taken up by a dedicated Hector counter who can't reliably do much else without the right backup isn't a very good plan.

There's a team in the high rank doc from a few days ago that went Lyn/Lucina/Kagero/M Robin, and my guess is that their gameplan is to aura boat on Lyn and have her clean up the backline in one turn after Lucina takes down the tank. It's a cool setup and definitely one I'd like to try if I pull a Lucina, but with Takumi in for Kagero because I don't have her. Lyn/Olivia/Takumi/M Robin is a team I can put together though and definitely one I want to try.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It is pretty cool to see some of the artists for older FE games do art for other games in the franchise I.E. Sachiko Wada from Radiance/Dawn doing Marth and Cherche

Cherche's action poses don't look so great though especially without Minerva

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Problem: Trying to figure out what my units IV's are after I've already leveled them

Solution?

Hello Excel, My old friend, I've come to speak with you again

if this works the way I think it does, it looks like my lyn is +Atk -Res

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

My 5* are all over the place.

-Takumi is -3 Spd/+4 Def. The +Def has been helpful a number of times, but -Spd is a slight issue.
-Lucina is -3 HP/+4 Def. This is overall pretty good.
-Azura is -4 HP/-3 Res/+3 Atk/+3 Spd. This is, uh, really even more of a glass cannon than usual. Reds really don't like her though.
-Lucina #2 & Peri are low/mid 20s, so who the hell knows.

As I use Azura more, I am noticing a big issue that armors have, mainly applicable to the Arena. That being, if someone has a ranged attacker and a dancer (and now everyone does), it doesn't matter if the ranged attacker can only do 1 damage at a time - they will kill the armor before it ever gets to attack. Hector's exempt from this due to Distant Counter, but he's the only one.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Has anyone used Shards/farmed enough crystals to even use any? Feels like there's barely enough for one character even after all the objectives are done.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
gently caress yes. After a complete drought of 5 star units, I just pulled Ryoma and Leo in one pull. They're both red units, but gently caress it, they're going on my team anyway.

Ryoma especially seems incredibly powerful so far.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Ryoma is similar to Lyn but Raijinto isn't nearly as good as Sol Katti for murdering people. Being able to counter from range doesn't necessarily make it safer or easier to trigger Defiant Attack since the AI don't give a gently caress but it helps set up kills and might save him in the fringe scenario where he's somehow getting doubled by a ranged enemy. Dude hits like a truck though, no question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Being able to trigger from range is more about dumping archers/mages right off the bat than triggering the dumb skill. Ryoma owns just cause of his base stats and 1-2 range. He just has problems with dragons in PvP but I've never had a single instance in PvE where I wish he was something else.

In PvP though I'm always "wish this were lucina". Although tbh I wish my Marth were Lucina and I'd keep Ryoma but whatevs