Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Cholmondeley posted:

Sorry to say, I have to work tonight, and I'll miss your degree. Best of luck, and I'll certainly see you soon up there.

Wish you had been able to make it bc it was absolutely crazy. Ended up getting raised with four other dudes from a Durham lodge but since I was the local boy they kind of had me take point :twisted: . It had an epic turnout from an incredible variety of lodges. There had to be nearly 40 people packed into there.

Off the top of my head we had masons representing from:
France
Turkey
England
Israel
Pennsylvania
Massachusetts
Couple Prince Hall lodges
Couple Durham lodges
Mosaic lodge in Hillsborough

And some others I'm forgetting bc as they asked people to introduce themselves it was dizzying how far flung the attendees were. The actual initiation was extremely interesting and fun (our guy what gave the lecture sounded like he did it for a living), but I feel especially good that the crowd almost looked like a advertisement for promoting diversity in masonry. The group pic afterwards was Very Cool and I'm very pleased that I was lucky enough to get raised (with my grandpa doing the raising no less) under such unique circumstances.

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

I know there's a "no politics in the lodge" rule, but it would be nice to reach out for some support... what exactly are the limitations here?

In my experience it very much is a "in the lodge" rule considering how much loving bullshit I've heard spewed before or after lodge.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Oil of Paris posted:

Wish you had been able to make it bc it was absolutely crazy. Ended up getting raised with four other dudes from a Durham lodge but since I was the local boy they kind of had me take point :twisted: . It had an epic turnout from an incredible variety of lodges. There had to be nearly 40 people packed into there.

Off the top of my head we had masons representing from:
France
Turkey
England
Israel
Pennsylvania
Massachusetts
Couple Prince Hall lodges
Couple Durham lodges
Mosaic lodge in Hillsborough

And some others I'm forgetting bc as they asked people to introduce themselves it was dizzying how far flung the attendees were. The actual initiation was extremely interesting and fun (our guy what gave the lecture sounded like he did it for a living), but I feel especially good that the crowd almost looked like a advertisement for promoting diversity in masonry. The group pic afterwards was Very Cool and I'm very pleased that I was lucky enough to get raised (with my grandpa doing the raising no less) under such unique circumstances.

That is awesome! And, of course, congratulations, brother!

Our new WM has made it a goal for our lodge to visit another once a month, so I'm hoping to get some good travel in.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Congrats Oil Of Paris!

I wish I could have made it, but we had a degree practice last night and the guy conferring is really struggling, so... I was there a while.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Today I got a congratulatory letter from the MA GL, congratulating me on 5 years as a master mason. I appreciate it but the anniversary isn't till October. Brethren, always a pleasure to post in this thread among brothers.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

What's the deal with more esoteric/hermetic paths of masonry? are any of you guys into that or have any opinions or experiences, thoughts you wouldn't mind sharing? Is that something people really get into, and what sort of experience is that?

Also, do you learn like, "real" stuff on the way from one degree to another or is it based on merit or mainly studying and reciting the little play thing?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Define 'real'.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
As a junior one of your responsibilities is feeding / grooming / taking care of the lodge [REDACTED]. There's an opportunity to advance into veterinarian apprentice for those with aptitude.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 13, 2017

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Loomer posted:

Define 'real'.

Things beyond the ritual and rubric memorization aspects I guess?

Robotnik Nudes fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 13, 2017

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Robotnik Nudes posted:

... do you think the ritual is just like hearing some random words and then repeating them later? Have you heard of a "metaphor" before?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Oh you meant the spells. Yeah the spells are later

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Robotnik Nudes posted:

The rituals are (in many cases explicitly) meant to teach you real things.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Robotnik Nudes posted:

What's the deal with more esoteric/hermetic paths of masonry? are any of you guys into that or have any opinions or experiences, thoughts you wouldn't mind sharing? Is that something people really get into, and what sort of experience is that?

Also, do you learn like, "real" stuff on the way from one degree to another or is it based on merit or mainly studying and reciting the little play thing?

I got a timeshare in Atlantis.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Oil of Paris posted:

... do you think the ritual is just like hearing some random words and then repeating them later? Have you heard of a "metaphor" before?

Not the guy who originally posted, but... Nice as the rituals are, some actual workshopping of some sort would be nice? There's a difference between learning and becoming, and as nice as it's been to have brothers to socialize with and rituals to try and internalize, it does feel like on the self improvement front I am ultimately on my own. Which I mean, to a certain extent you always will be, but I have always been a lover of collaborative process iteration so I dunno. Maybe I'm missing something, but at least personally speaking I really was hoping for a bit "more"? Not that what I've gotten isn't great, mind you, and I had an extended absence due to my wife's surgery so even now I'm still pretty green, so there's probably a lot I haven't seen yet, just... I dunno.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I can see where you're coming from, for sure. I kind of have the opposite mentality, where whatever you want to learn and develop, you're ultimately responsible for how you decide to develop it. The ritual doesn't need to hold your hand through the metaphors. To me, the learning process is typically internal and reflective, so the ritual as a stand alone experience that you later analyze in your own fashion is very much my thing.

I also see the value in collaboration, and its power as a learning tool. That said, I feel like nothing is stopping you from creating that sort of cooperative environment with other brothers of the same inclination

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Robotnik Nudes posted:

There are lots of easter eggs for those familiar with hermeticism, qabalah, and so on through out, but they aren't part of the institutional teaching of Masonry itself. If that's what you are interested in you should probably look into something like the Golden Dawn instead.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
WASHINGTON DC / MARYLAND GOONS

I'm looking to move up that way to be closer to my partner's family (who are in the Kensington area). Obviously I wouldn't have any trouble finding a lodge in DC, but is anyone here a member of a lodge in the area?

Also, if any brother has a lead on an IT job in the DC metro area, I'm happy to pass my resume along. :)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

There are lots of easter eggs for those familiar with hermeticism, qabalah, and so on through out, but they aren't part of the institutional teaching of Masonry itself. If that's what you are interested in you should probably look into something like the Golden Dawn instead.

Greek Nazis?

Dirigibleful
Mar 29, 2014

Tonight I was raised to the sublime degree... wow that was an experience!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Different squad. Aleister Crowley's golden dawn sex cult

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

No. More to do with British Jacobites actually.

Oil of Paris posted:

Different squad. Aleister Crowley's golden dawn sex cult

Crowley was a member for a time before getting kicked out, the sex cult stuff came later

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Buncha weird guys and gals getting together to create and practice a magical tradition that syncretized a number of oldern European traditions, borrowed from Masonry, and got really into the Theosophy movement for a while.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...

Dirigibleful posted:

Tonight I was raised to the sublime degree... wow that was an experience!

Congrats! I hope you enjoy the journey from here, brother.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

My petition was accepted and I'll be getting my first degree this week. Can't wait to see what's in store.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Petition Accepted and I'm getting raised to an EA this week at the Mitzpah lodge in Ne. They seem like a really laid back bunch of guys, and said there's no dress code for the event- but would a suit hurt?

Otherwise, I'm pretty pumped to be starting out. They offered to do 3 degrees in 3 months, but I said I wouldn't mind taking my time.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I wore a suit but, technically, the only thing you ought be concerned with wearing is clean underwear.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm moving up to Maryland in 3 weeks and have no idea where I'm going to be living yet. I sent an email to the local lodge in hopes that someone there is a realtor or knows a realtor that can help me with my rental hunt.

They forwarded my email to a bunch of lodges in the area and put out feelers, and I already have had 3 different realtors reach out to me :unsmith: Warms my heart

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

COOL CORN posted:

I'm moving up to Maryland in 3 weeks and have no idea where I'm going to be living yet. I sent an email to the local lodge in hopes that someone there is a realtor or knows a realtor that can help me with my rental hunt.

They forwarded my email to a bunch of lodges in the area and put out feelers, and I already have had 3 different realtors reach out to me :unsmith: Warms my heart

Welcome, Brother! You're probably going to be on the other side of the bridge from me (given ours wasn't one of the lodges they reached out to) but if you find yourself on the Eastern Shore, I hope you'll drop by Wicomico 91!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Immanentized posted:

Petition Accepted and I'm getting raised to an EA this week at the Mitzpah lodge in Ne. They seem like a really laid back bunch of guys, and said there's no dress code for the event- but would a suit hurt?

Otherwise, I'm pretty pumped to be starting out. They offered to do 3 degrees in 3 months, but I said I wouldn't mind taking my time.

General recommendation I give folks is white shirt, slacks, and a tie. It's not a requirement but you never look bad if you show up in that. In my case, I wore a suit to all of my degrees.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I was jeans and flannel. Just be yourself imo

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Where I'm from, you wear a suit, period - except in the middle of summer. The notion of a masonic lodge conducted in casual wear is bizarre.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

We go white tie for all temple gatherings.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
In the US there are definitely entire regions where owning your own suit is strictly reserved for the extremely wealthy. Having a strict requirement of a tuxedo essentially blocks brothers from lower social strata which is really contrary to the aims of the Order if you ask me. My mother lodge was in such a region, and so instead just requested people wear their Sunday dress. Whatever you'd wear to church. If I wore my best clothes I would've been essentially class-shaming brothers whose best clothes were a shirt with a collar and maybe a tie, so I normally opted for a sport jacket and shirt with tie and called it good.

At my current lodge, officers wear tuxedos and while I understand the importance of this generally I don't care for it much. It does seem class prohibitive, sending the message "if you can't afford a tux, you can't be an officer at this lodge." Part of that, I admit, comes from my mother lodge, where if you wore a tuxedo and were anything less than a grand lodge officer, you were showing off.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
See, that's what I'm concerned about, I'm a relatively well-off east coaster joining a lodge in a big(ger) midwest city with a lot of blue collar members of the older generations. If I show up in my fitted suit I might send some negative vibes and make myself into an archetype.

I called my sponsors and they basically said that a sport coat wouldn't hurt, so I'm just going to do that. Ceremony and lodge are tonight, so I'm looking forward to it all.

Thanks for the input from all you guys though!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Strayan grand lodges set the standard. We vary based on regional concerns - lodges in the hottest areas might go summer dress early and unofficially, say - but our basic standards are prescribed. Most decent lodges will help a poor candidate out if he can' t afford a suit, too. Tails is off the table unless you're a grand lodge officer. (So guess what I wore to my initiation.)

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Immanentized posted:

See, that's what I'm concerned about, I'm a relatively well-off east coaster joining a lodge in a big(ger) midwest city with a lot of blue collar members of the older generations. If I show up in my fitted suit I might send some negative vibes and make myself into an archetype.

I called my sponsors and they basically said that a sport coat wouldn't hurt, so I'm just going to do that. Ceremony and lodge are tonight, so I'm looking forward to it all.

Thanks for the input from all you guys though!

Yeah, what your sponsors said are the way to go. Sport coat is a good bet. I think I wore a suit the first night but it doesn't matter much really, just the clean underwear bit. If you hadn't had word from your sponsors I might've suggested doing it job interview style: one step up from whatever the lodge officers wore for your interview.

Let us know how it goes. Every post in this thread makes me want to start attending Lodge again.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

Yeah, what your sponsors said are the way to go. Sport coat is a good bet. I think I wore a suit the first night but it doesn't matter much really, just the clean underwear bit. If you hadn't had word from your sponsors I might've suggested doing it job interview style: one step up from whatever the lodge officers wore for your interview.

Let us know how it goes. Every post in this thread makes me want to start attending Lodge again.

Just got back in. Ceremony and the attendant activities went great, and I'm going to get raised again passed next week. Really appreciative to have joined such a great fraternity.

\/\/\/ Thanks for the correction

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 16, 2017

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
nb you're initiated, passed, and then raised. The reasons why will become apparent after you finish the degrees.

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

Sheep posted:

nb you're initiated, passed, and then raised. The reasons why will become apparent after you finish the degrees.

And then fed one of many spaghetti dinners to come. Just remember, Worshipful gets dibs on the meat balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Did the antient Egyptians have to wear a suit and tie when they invented these things? Did Egypt even have spaghetti? What was their position on transgender brothers?