Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mishaq posted:

im the beers cooling in the sink

yeah remember when only the upper tier hotel rooms had mini fridges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Miss-Bomarc posted:

OH GOD I FUCKIN HATE IT SO BAD WHEN PEOPLE DO THIS

It's like, so do you ACTIVELY wish to exclude the people on the phone, or are you just utterly incapable of imagining a world that isn't right in front of your face and speaking to you this exact instant?
extremely same

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FrozenVent posted:

"our prototype can successfully handle half a gallon per minute"
"k so we need to do four thousand tons an hour"
"...ah... well... I'd have to talk to engineering"

please dont share my posting specs

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

FrozenVent posted:

"our prototype can successfully handle half a gallon per minute"
"k so we need to do four thousand tons an hour"
"...ah... well... I'd have to talk to engineering"

lomarf

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
today to fix the problem with skype for business (which itself is supposed to fix webex) the company has announced "BlueJeans for Mid-size Meetings"

how hosed am i

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

today to fix the problem with skype for business (which itself is supposed to fix webex) the company has announced "BlueJeans for Mid-size Meetings"

how hosed am i

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mad Wack posted:

how hosed am i

wow

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
please define Mid-size Meetings

also please use a jeans metaphor while doing so

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
they actually meant mid-rise meetings

it's a new dress code, crisis averted

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

please define Mid-size Meetings

also please use a jeans metaphor while doing so

jorts

you know, not quite capri jeans, not quite daisy dukes, thank god

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mad Wack posted:

how hosed am i

:shepicide:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

half my recent stories are people trying to dial then pin into bluejeans from two other tp systems both run by cisco

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ive experienced webex, blue jeans, adobe connect and skype for business within my own company in less than a year and a half

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mishaq posted:

ive experienced webex, blue jeans, adobe connect and skype for business within my own company in less than a year and a half

jfc id swear we work for the same company but that was the last week

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well now you can try something new:

Amazon Chime is a communications service that transforms online meetings with a secure, easy-to-use application that you can trust. Amazon Chime works seamlessly across your devices so that you can stay connected. You can use Amazon Chime for online meetings, video conferencing, calls, chat, and to share content, both inside and outside your organization. Amazon Chime frees you to work productively from anywhere.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well now you can try something new:

Amazon Chime is a communications service that transforms online meetings with a secure, easy-to-use application that you can trust. Amazon Chime works seamlessly across your devices so that you can stay connected. You can use Amazon Chime for online meetings, video conferencing, calls, chat, and to share content, both inside and outside your organization. Amazon Chime frees you to work productively from anywhere.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

that explains why a videoconference keeps launching every time jay leno walks into the same room as his alexa

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
one bonus of teleconference - your coworkers cannot get you sick

i am in a charnel house at this in person meeting

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
GoToMeeting is the only inter-business meeting system that i'd use these days.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

GoToMeeting is the only inter-business meeting system that i'd use these days.

agreeing with shags

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
boss moved out to colorado and invited me to a meeting, their conference room is in a building called fiddler's green

if a corporate building as the afterlife is the most depressing thing, :wtc: were they thinking, did they even think, i suspect it is without even a hint of irony

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

power botton posted:

agreeing with shags

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

gotmeeting is good

i forgot, we used to also have an account for that for or larger internal meetings

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dialled into a conference call today, meeting started 15 minutes late because we were waiting for the person who scheduled it, who dialled in while on a train surrounded by what sounded like a kids party. the outcome of the conference call was to figure out that the company that sold something about 4 months ago didnt take into account any of the specs of an existing environment and bullshitted their way through the proposal, so the project is being canned.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Thanks Ants posted:

dialled into a conference call today, meeting started 15 minutes late because we were waiting for the person who scheduled it, who dialled in while on a train surrounded by what sounded like a kids party. the outcome of the conference call was to figure out that the company that sold something about 4 months ago didnt take into account any of the specs of an existing environment and bullshitted their way through the proposal, so the project is being canned.

owned, what was the project for

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

this is every project

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Clockwerk posted:

this is every project

welcome to my career :getin:

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

mishaq posted:

just got an email today that the company decided to drop harvest, asana, redmine, pivotal tracker, and slack and move everything to activecollab instead

it's probably a good idea to trim all of that poo poo, but expecting to have it done in two weeks is kinda lol. that's how redmine wound up in the mix in the first place. i predict we'll be using all six plus basecamp by the end of the year

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

uncurable mlady posted:

owned, what was the project for

Clockwerk posted:

this is every project

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

🤔

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
you ever notice that when someone says they have a question or comment and throw in "real quick", it's never ever real quick?

because of course if it actually was, they wouldn't need to add that.

i only note that because we're five minutes into this real quick explanation of a defect that we probably shouldn't be troubleshooting on a scrum call.

edit- update, we hit 10 minutes before they decided to move on, by which point the QA lady who had been walking us through the defects had forgotten she was doing so.

pm- "Ok, can we continue through the defects?"
qa- "Defects? Were we... OH! Yeah ok, let me go back to the list."

Iridium fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 15, 2017

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Iridium posted:

you ever notice that when someone says they have a question or comment and throw in "real quick", it's never ever real quick?

this is a source of conflict at my employer

to the point in which i will not take questions in the hallway

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
even in my most dysfunctional offices we were ok at handling that situation

"let's park that and the relevant people can stay on the call to discuss after we're done giving our updates"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

most insanely boring presenter i've seen: "let's harness the excitement and energy we all have to move forward"

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

carry on then posted:

most insanely boring presenter i've seen: "let's harness the excitement and energy we all have to move forward"

what, with life?

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

carry on then posted:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
currently listening to my coworker bounce between two different people on the phone. he'll switch to one, start to discuss something, say "oh they dropped off" and then they'll call back, and he'll switch to that call and continue the conversation with them for a couple minutes, and then the process will repeat

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Bhodi posted:

boss moved out to colorado and invited me to a meeting, their conference room is in a building called fiddler's green

if a corporate building as the afterlife is the most depressing thing, :wtc: were they thinking, did they even think, i suspect it is without even a hint of irony

fiddlers green is a concert venue. are you sure it wasn't just the name of the room in the building being named after it?

the area of Denver that is in is definitely depressing officepark wasteland tho, you got that right

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

vanilla slimfast posted:

fiddlers green is a concert venue. are you sure it wasn't just the name of the room in the building being named after it?

the area of Denver that is in is definitely depressing officepark wasteland tho, you got that right
you might be right, but I immediately thought of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddler%27s_Green

today I walked in to discover they added a new phone conferencing product beside our current dead one. It appears to be to be windows CE based and takes more than 2 minutes to turn on. Co-worker remarked that it's what we used to have about a decade ago and they must have found it in storage. After fully booting, we discover it doesn't work either so we did the meeting crouched over my personal phone on speaker with two separate non-functional conference systems next to it on on the conference room desk

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Bhodi posted:

if a corporate building as the afterlife is the most depressing thing

nah, not just a corporate building.

you die, and you're in a conference room. you're seated off in a corner and it turns out you're the only technical resource for an HR project, and the room is otherwise only full of HR people.

they have a powerpoint deck. as they reach each slide, they pause for someone to ask a question that has nothing to do with that slide. you're lost and confused but know better than to ask for an explanation. after every such question someone cracks an in-joke and the whole room erupts in shrill, nightmarish laughter. you dont get the joke. every time they progress far enough that they're nearly at the end of the slide deck, someone new enters and the group as a whole chooses to start over at the beginning.

all you have to comfort yourself is bad office coffee, and the constant question of why the whole floor smells of potpourri.

ask me how i know what hell looks like.

• Locked thread