Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Proper posh people would think it's great to buy a high quality bit of clothing ("smart" clothes) for 50p at a charity shop.

Anyone who looks down on that sort of thing is probably nouveau and unsound.

e: In 1976 the Sex Pistols went on the telly and called Bill Grundy a dirty fucker after he told Siouxsie Sioux he'd like to meet her after the show.

Paxman fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
UKMT February 2017 - Sneering is So Parv

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

Actually, poverty is an excuse for obesity, because energy dense foods that contribute to obesity are often the only food that poor people can consistently afford.

This has been the subject of a lot of research.

That's not true, fresh fruit and vegetables will always be cheaper than calorie dense, nutrient poor food.

It's more that fat people don't want to eat lentils.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

That's not true, fresh fruit and vegetables will always be cheaper than calorie dense, nutrient poor food.

Keep digging, Sebastian lol

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

are you saying people who voted Brexit are racists?

Most of them, yes.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

Keep digging, Sebastian lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc1A01JHUnY

Daughter "mum I'm worried about not being able to run"

Mum "what do you want to run for?"

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

JFairfax posted:

Stop lying.

A bag of frozen sausages, a bag of frozen chips, and a gallon tub of ice cream from Iceland is much cheaper than any fresh healthy food and makes many more meals than any fresh veg/fruit ever will and is much easier to cook. Poorer people are also often more likely to lack good nutritional understanding and cooking skills beyond putting stuff in the oven/microwave.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

Sorry that no doubt fascinating documentary has been told to get in the sea by Channel 5 for copyright reasons.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ewan posted:

Stop lying.

A bag of frozen sausages, a bag of frozen chips, and a gallon tub of ice cream from Iceland is much cheaper than any fresh healthy food and makes many more meals than any fresh veg/fruit ever will and is much easier to cook. Poorer people are also often more likely to lack good nutritional understanding and cooking skills beyond putting stuff in the oven/microwave.

are you kidding me? A 2lb bag of lentils, 2 tins of tomatos, an onion, garlic, chile + spuds and some spices will feed you for a week.

okay yes the spices will be more expensive, but they last months.

it's a lie that only unhealthy foods are cheap.

making curries, stews, soups is v. cheap and v. easy if you're just using vegetables. you can do it in one pot with barely any skills.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
This reminds me of when Gwyneth Paltrow tried the $29 food for a week challenge, and bought limes, fresh coriander, clove of garlic, and a bunch of other entirely inappropriate things.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

mehall posted:

Parliament Petition to request reasoning for why there was no threshold on the referendum.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/164999

I admire the sentiment but unfortunately this is a case of bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Ultimately like most of the poo poo that has gone down in the UK for the past 6 and a bit years the referendum terms being a shitshow can squarely be laid at Davey Hamfucker's door.

Paxman posted:

e: In 1976 the Sex Pistols went on the telly and called Bill Grundy a dirty fucker after he told Siouxsie Sioux he'd like to meet her after the show.

Johnny Rotten Was Right

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MikeCrotch posted:

Johnny Rotten Was Right

he was right about big Jimmy Savile as well

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
People in poverty are more likely to be underweight and malnourished than obese now.

Because austerity is literally starving people and pellagra and rickets are making a comeback.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

People in poverty are more likely to be underweight and malnourished than obese now.

Because austerity is literally starving people and pellagra and rickets are making a comeback.

I hope this puts to rest the misguided notion that poverty is a cause of obesity, it may be correlated, but it isn't in and of itself a cause.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I thought that the whole "poverty = obesity" thing was always much more true in the US than over here due to comparative expense of fresh food/"food deserts" in the US and the fact that everything cheap is pumped full of HFCS to satisfy the corn lobby

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

JFairfax posted:

I hope this puts to rest the misguided notion that poverty is a cause of obesity, it may be correlated, but it isn't in and of itself a cause.

poverty correlates with poor education which correlates with both obesity and more generic malnutrition/starvation when food prices rise and there's no understanding of nutrition to compensate

these aren't seperate things

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fangz posted:

Tangentially, I always thought charity shops were kinda a middle class thing? Maybe that's a function of the places I volunteered in, though.

We used to get posh people donating stuff and assuring us it was all the best quality.

Appreciate the pitch but I'm still going through it and pulling out all your dirty knickers cos we aren't selling them.

The buying demographic was mostly working class adults, old ladies, and college kids.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Actually some people just get home from their jobs and don't want to spend multiple hours cooking over a single cooking point and trying to wash it all up after

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Actually some people just get home from their jobs and don't want to spend multiple hours cooking over a single cooking point and trying to wash it all up after

yeah that's why you cook a big pot on sunday, and have small portions ready to re-heat during the week.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

OwlFancier posted:

The buying demographic was mostly working class adults, old ladies, and college kids.

Yep, I was about to post they appeal to the Countdown demographic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also does anybody like eating lentils?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Spiked have published their yearly attention seeking poo poo eating University free speech ratings and they're, as always, poo poo.

As always, having a policy on workplace bullying is enough to get you an amber rating for being semi-censorious.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Also does anybody like eating lentils?

yeah I do, lentil curries are great.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lentils are brown people food. A proper English person would rather starve than eat something like that

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pesmerga posted:

Heather Savigny is respected in the field particularly for her work on methodologies in politics, and she's not the only person who has critiqued focus groups from a methodological perspective. The British Journal of Politics and International Relations is also pretty highly ranked - private and anonymous prepublication is not uncommon as a way of getting some feedback first prior to journal submission too. When I get to a computer I'll dig up some other references on problems with focus groups (disclaimer: all approaches to quantifying social phenomena have their problems, their uses and their pitfalls).

I know she is well respected, at least in gender studies and some other disciplines, certainly publishes a lot. For a relatively provocative article you'd presumably expect it to be cited more often though. I'd appreciate if you can dig up something else on the topic of political focus groups.

And her critique of FG polling is a bit undirected if you read it. You could certainly criticise qualitative research for how difficult it is to do the methodology properly, but the specific trappings of it in political context don't seem to get written about much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I can eat vegetarian stuff but it's not super fun to eat.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
vegetables are delicious, sorry you have the palate of a child / big fat fatty bum bum

also whilst I'm not a vegetarian, the idea that you need to eat meat with every single meal is awful and wrong

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you mean delicious.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I love lentil and vegetable based soups and curries.

Wouldn't fancy eating them every day though.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JFairfax posted:

Daughter: "UKIP"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I want to know what 'censorious transgender policies' means. Because 'people are not allowed to publish links to trans resources in public spaces' sounds bad and censorious, but 'people are not allowed to scream Julie Bindel quotes at trans people' sounds good and anti-harassment, but 'people are not allowed access to second wave feminist books because some of them were transphobic' sounds bad and censorious.

Based on the 'anti-bullying is censorship' poo poo, I have a fair idea which it is.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
UKMT February 2017 - Why don't those filthy poors eat more lentils.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Poverty is strongly associated with depression, which makes it hard to cook, particularly if you're on your own.

Getting fresh food regularly also involves transport costs (in time as well as money), and we don't all have freezers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sometimes you come home after work and you just want to eat an entire bag of turkey dinosaurs.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cerv posted:

Do you get this angry about being told it's a good idea to iron your shirt before a job interview? At a basic level appearance does matter in society whether you like it or not.

I've never noticed Angela Rayner appearing in her professional capacity in inappropriate/dirty/non-ironed clothes, let alone her doing it all the time. So please don't suggest criticism of women in politics for 'looking a bit charity shop' is about holding them to basic standards of cleanliness and professionalism.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Someone just post that bit from the road to Wigan pier about eating some chips as opposed to ryvita and carrots because it, like the bulk of the rest of the text, hold up just as well now when talking about poverty then- especially the social/cultural connotations inherrent as opposed to trying to directly link class to income alone, or in this case, diet to income.

PS lentils are very important as without them dhansak wouldn't exist.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Okay:

quote:

Now compare this list with the unemployed miner’s budget that I gave earlier. The miner’s family spend only tenpence a week on green vegetables and tenpence half-penny on milk (remember that one of them is a child less than three years old), and nothing on fruit; but they spend one and nine on sugar (about eight pounds of sugar, that is) and a shilling on tea. The half-crown spent on meat might represent a small joint and the materials for a stew; probably as often as not it would represent four or five tins of bully beef. The basis of their diet, therefore, is white bread and margarine, corned beef, sugared tea, and potatoes — an appalling diet. Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn’t. Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don’t want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit ‘tasty’. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you. Let’s have three pennorth of chips! Run out and buy us a twopenny ice-cream! Put the kettle on and we’ll all have a nice cup of tea! That is how your mind works when you are at the P.A.C. level. White bread-and-marg and sugared tea don’t nourish you to any extent, but they are nicer (at least most people think so) than brown bread-and-dripping and cold water. Unemployment is an endless misery that has got to be constantly palliated, and especially with tea, the English-man’s opium. A cup of tea or even an aspirin is much better as a temporary stimulant than a crust of brown bread.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
if the state wants us to eat proper food all the time maybe they should hand out cheap opium?

hell I'd not buy any sugar if I could just have a little dab on the pipe with my ryvita

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's everywhere in the ditches and along the dry stone walls of the English heartland. If people had any initiative they'd leave the cities and forage for raspberries opiates.

Coca is the one that's a bastard to grow anywhere except halfway up a certain hill in Peru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

I wish I could control my appetite and not stuff my face with Wispa bars or sweet and sour chicken when I know a ryvita and raw carrot would keep me alive. I don't have any excuses, I'm just a bit crap.

• Locked thread