Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Haier posted:

She asked me what I want to eat and I said pizza pizza pizza. At least two.

you're going to be power washing the porcelain off your squatter the next day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupportgore/comments/5tmoyx/client_was_upset_her_iphone_wasnt_working/

quote:

Couple notes about this "iPhone". - Client had no idea what she had. Bought it from a local swap site days ago. She had noticed things wrong with the phone but decided it wasn't a big deal. - Battery is swollen, popping out of the frame, which prompted her to come in. The charge port holds on to the lightening cable by nothing but pure hope, so it barely charged, and has since given up altogether. - Back case is thin, all components on the top half of the device. - It boots (visibly) into an Android system, but then opens its "iOS" - Chinese. Very Chinese. Customer actually had a complete Chinese playlist in her phone and left it there. Most stock apps won't open, or will open with a Chinese replacement. - The dimensions are just slightly off, it's just a hair larger than its original. - They did remember pentalobe screws, but those too, are a knock off. Too round and much too short.
LMAO

big time bisexual posted:

you're going to be power washing the porcelain off your squatter the next day
Better than power washing my genitals over the squatter the next day.

Ups_rail posted:

Haier what happened with that lesbian?

Also when are we gonna see photos of 1970s japanese buiness dudes your father took?
Despite knowing each other IRL for years, she deleted me from Facebook and the chat apps one day without any notice and refused to reply to me when I tried to re-add her and ask for a reason. The last conversation we had was her asking if I will come to Shanghai and I said I can't, but if she goes to HK for shopping or something I can come down to meet her. She said OK and I never heard from her again.

My dad has those photos in his house, which is far away from here.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY0AMmLuiqk

"Let's listen to the 6 tones of cantonese"
si
si
si
si
si
si

:suicide:

cnut
May 3, 2016

Haier posted:

When sex is free but food costs money, I will always choose the food over sex.

Why are you so cheap? I thought you were paid well which is why you are putting up with China for now. Isn't food ridiculously cheap there?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

cnut posted:

Why are you so cheap? I thought you were paid well which is why you are putting up with China for now. Isn't food ridiculously cheap there?

He is our resident miserly, Asian plunger. He's always been cheap also ask him how he feels about seeing somebody after he eats something. He'll bitch about having a big stomach. His idiosyncrasies are top notch.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Glenn Quebec posted:

He is our resident miserly, Asian plunger. He's always been cheap also ask him how he feels about seeing somebody after he eats something. He'll bitch about having a big stomach. His idiosyncrasies are top notch.

I see.

Haier's date when she finds out she's paying:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

Haier what happened with that lesbian?

Also when are we gonna see photos of 1970s japanese buiness dudes your father took?

Haier, if you dig out 70s dad photos, you should definitely cross-post them to the Cool Dad Pics thread in Dorkroom: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699945

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

cnut posted:

I see.

Haier's date when she finds out she's paying:

As lol as crazy eyes is, they won't pay either because of the face culture and so they do something mind numbing boring like walk through smog or "watch me skateboard." Even though like 60 yuan is around 7 USD or something.

My favorite one was the girl who couldn't find his apt after riding a subway for forty minutes and he stood on his balcony watching her and taunting her on WeChat because she's the idiot. He's great lol

cnut
May 3, 2016

Glenn Quebec posted:

As lol as crazy eyes is, they won't pay either because of the face culture and so they do something mind numbing boring like walk through smog or "watch me skateboard." Even though like 60 yuan is around 7 USD or something.

My favorite one was the girl who couldn't find his apt after riding a subway for forty minutes and he stood on his balcony watching her and taunting her on WeChat because she's the idiot. He's great lol

Haha, I remember that.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

i just realize he pretty much just irl shitposting by this point lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Agean90 posted:

i just realize he pretty much just irl shitposting by this point lol

Haier goes through an utterly mundane day, sits down to eat his hotpot and liquid poo poo his night away. "Totally scored again goons. This one was a six head and she had a dumb mole and couldn't walk fast enough because of heels she was wearing (I told her we are walking 9km today) and was upset because I wouldn't buy her a 3 RMB lemonade. Anyway, she got lost on her way home and needed help but my stomach was too big because I ate hotpot and kanrenao."

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
He is the voice of reason in this thread

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Glenn Quebec posted:

Haier goes through an utterly mundane day, sits down to eat his hotpot and liquid poo poo his night away. "Totally scored again goons. This one was a six head and she had a dumb mole and couldn't walk fast enough because of heels she was wearing (I told her we are walking 9km today) and was upset because I wouldn't buy her a 3 RMB lemonade. Anyway, she got lost on her way home and needed help but my stomach was too big because I ate hotpot and kanrenao."

:goonsay:

I salute you gentle goon.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Met my Sister the other day at a dessert shop somewhere near Mong Ko. My Aunt who has no filter or subtlety crowbars out that my sister is married destroying the well laid plans they both have to break the news to me when I was to see the both of them. I had sort of worked it out before hand as there has been a lot of hints but I wanted to keep the surprise in my head for them.

She married a Kiwi White dude and I couldn't be happier as they have been going out for the pass 10(?) years and he is an awesome bloke I would gladly have as a Brother. They are looking to have a reception both here and in NZ, but the timetable is measured in Fusion will be ready for commercial use in 10 ~ 20 years. I hope when it does happen I can bring Dad along back to Hong Kong as he has not been back for quite a while.

Met three of Sisters friends who she plays board/card games and sings at a choir with. They are like flaming gay like a forest fire. From the look of things gays are nominally accepted in Hong Kong so it doesn't seem too bad however like LGQTB(?) everywhere they are in a constant battle to get equal rights or to even maintain the rights they do have.

One thing a noticed about their apartment other than the fact it is huge capable of hosting 2, maybe 3 families other than themselves is that the moment you step out the hallway looks like any other buildings hallways. It is dusty, a bit half assed placement of the tiles, paint is just slapped on things. Windows are never cleaned, basically no one gave a poo poo the moment it was constructed.

My bargaining skills are a bit rusty though so while it is enough not to get ripped off, I am paying sticker price. That said I would be arguing over a dollar or two which I quite frankly value my own time over. I will drive a hard bargain if it is a big ticket item.

I was look for computer parts and a curious observation came up. Everything is priced other than the top end item like a Nvidia GTX 1080 for example. It is done this way so

A. You have to ask for the price hence force to engage first.
B. They get to do the "If you have to ask the price you can't afford it"
C. Doesn't let you compare prices so easily in hopes they can exhaust you enough that you just buy the loving thing.

There are multiple Golden Arcades here that sell computer parts and other specialty items, and within that the shops break down into their own specialties. There would a laptop shop, a headphones shop, a graphic cards shop(Many of these), CPU shop, motherhood shop, you get the idea. All done no doubt to maximize the use of their spaces.

In a oddity which took us all by surprise when we walked in to a particular gaming arcade we were told it was for 16 years olds or under instead of the other way around. This confused the three of us enough that we couldn't parse what the attendant said until he repeated himself, apparently the entire arcade. Comes to think of it, I had been to this arcade before and even played on the old school machines in the exact same place for decades that should be in a museum pieces considering their age and would do well at auction given how unique and somewhat historical they are.

The pollution is slowly getting to me as my nose bleeds a little every day in a small enough amount that it clots before I notice it, but it is getting worse as each day passes.

For those who don't know there was an arson attack in the MTR(Subway) a couple days ago and the whole investigation has been a clusterfuck face saving exercise that make 300lb doughnut inhalers look professional.

They send 100 policemen, a 100 fire fighters and they send in the SDU(Think SWAT but more Army/special forces which they have run in the background of new broadcasts. They flip back and forwards as to whether it was a terrorist attack or not. They smear the guy with every rumor you can think of. They don't seem to know the facts of the case had they conducted a normal investigation instead of playing security theater. If they had a tank and could get it into the MTR they would have done it.

Having spoken so much English yesterday when I went to buy some medicinal muscle strips I kept crossing my languages resulting in the classic Charlie Brown teacher talk. Then me and her husband on our search for some specific items went into a "Japan shop" where my language center flipped out as I was trying to parse English, all three types of Japanese writing, Cantonese along with what little traditional characters I do know while taking to him in English.

I have more to type but I got to head out to see Po Po for Yum Char.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Glenn Quebec posted:

Hahahaha. You have tapped into my spirit. You just summed up the last 6+ months I've been here.

Glenn Quebec posted:

She was adamant about finding it herself and refused my help, so I did stand there watching her. She was the type to block you if she didn't like something, and then unblock a week later and pretend nothing happened. A very adult.

cnut posted:

The truth: Because I am saving money and I also have student loans, I gave myself a budget of 3000 per month (100 per day) for fun stuff and groceries. It doesn't go very far in modern China (especially in Shenzhen), and when the billionth person wants to go out for a 200 RMB meal where they expect you to pay then I feel it's not worth it. Especially when there are others that willing to go walk up a hill or go straight to bed without requiring a series of money-spending blah blahs, I would rather do that or get a meal offered to me. I don't know why it would be shameful to be a man getting paid for, because it owns to have the tables turned.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Uhhh, the Red Pill guys call this "being mysterious," and it's super alpha. Do u know? Do you even bloat, bro?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

cnut posted:

I always assumed it was alimony payments

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

oohhboy posted:

Met my Sister the other day at a dessert shop somewhere near Mong Ko. My Aunt who has no filter or subtlety crowbars out that my sister is married destroying the well laid plans they both have to break the news to me when I was to see the both of them. I had sort of worked it out before hand as there has been a lot of hints but I wanted to keep the surprise in my head for them.

She married a Kiwi White dude and I couldn't be happier as they have been going out for the pass 10(?) years and he is an awesome bloke I would gladly have as a Brother. They are looking to have a reception both here and in NZ, but the timetable is measured in Fusion will be ready for commercial use in 10 ~ 20 years. I hope when it does happen I can bring Dad along back to Hong Kong as he has not been back for quite a while.

Met three of Sisters friends who she plays board/card games and sings at a choir with. They are like flaming gay like a forest fire. From the look of things gays are nominally accepted in Hong Kong so it doesn't seem too bad however like LGQTB(?) everywhere they are in a constant battle to get equal rights or to even maintain the rights they do have.

One thing a noticed about their apartment other than the fact it is huge capable of hosting 2, maybe 3 families other than themselves is that the moment you step out the hallway looks like any other buildings hallways. It is dusty, a bit half assed placement of the tiles, paint is just slapped on things. Windows are never cleaned, basically no one gave a poo poo the moment it was constructed.

My bargaining skills are a bit rusty though so while it is enough not to get ripped off, I am paying sticker price. That said I would be arguing over a dollar or two which I quite frankly value my own time over. I will drive a hard bargain if it is a big ticket item.

I was look for computer parts and a curious observation came up. Everything is priced other than the top end item like a Nvidia GTX 1080 for example. It is done this way so

A. You have to ask for the price hence force to engage first.
B. They get to do the "If you have to ask the price you can't afford it"
C. Doesn't let you compare prices so easily in hopes they can exhaust you enough that you just buy the loving thing.

There are multiple Golden Arcades here that sell computer parts and other specialty items, and within that the shops break down into their own specialties. There would a laptop shop, a headphones shop, a graphic cards shop(Many of these), CPU shop, motherhood shop, you get the idea. All done no doubt to maximize the use of their spaces.

In a oddity which took us all by surprise when we walked in to a particular gaming arcade we were told it was for 16 years olds or under instead of the other way around. This confused the three of us enough that we couldn't parse what the attendant said until he repeated himself, apparently the entire arcade. Comes to think of it, I had been to this arcade before and even played on the old school machines in the exact same place for decades that should be in a museum pieces considering their age and would do well at auction given how unique and somewhat historical they are.

The pollution is slowly getting to me as my nose bleeds a little every day in a small enough amount that it clots before I notice it, but it is getting worse as each day passes.

For those who don't know there was an arson attack in the MTR(Subway) a couple days ago and the whole investigation has been a clusterfuck face saving exercise that make 300lb doughnut inhalers look professional.

They send 100 policemen, a 100 fire fighters and they send in the SDU(Think SWAT but more Army/special forces which they have run in the background of new broadcasts. They flip back and forwards as to whether it was a terrorist attack or not. They smear the guy with every rumor you can think of. They don't seem to know the facts of the case had they conducted a normal investigation instead of playing security theater. If they had a tank and could get it into the MTR they would have done it.

Having spoken so much English yesterday when I went to buy some medicinal muscle strips I kept crossing my languages resulting in the classic Charlie Brown teacher talk. Then me and her husband on our search for some specific items went into a "Japan shop" where my language center flipped out as I was trying to parse English, all three types of Japanese writing, Cantonese along with what little traditional characters I do know while taking to him in English.

I have more to type but I got to head out to see Po Po for Yum Char.

For the golden computer arcade, just bring up newegg on your phone to double check any price they give you. At the end of the day you have the money, they want your money, and if it's a bad price who gives a gently caress that they might not sell to you if you don't want it anyway? But if you agree to their price after checking trust me they won't not sell to you.

Or just check before you talk to them?

Pollution is worse than a couple of years ago, noticeably so. The reason I picked HK over the mainland was pollution avoidance, may be getting to the point of saying gently caress it and skipping town if it doesn't start getting better soon

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

simplefish posted:

Pollution is worse than a couple of years ago, noticeably so. The reason I picked HK over the mainland was pollution avoidance, may be getting to the point of saying gently caress it and skipping town if it doesn't start getting better soon
I talked to a (white) UK guy a few weeks ago about the pollution in HK and Shenzhen. He said he never checked the AQI, and his kids never had any breathing problems, so obviously there was nothing to worry about (very Chinese of him). He thought I was paranoid to even consider that the air here could be bad, even though the smog-wall is visible on sunny days. I have checked every day since I've been here and often see it in the 100-150 on clear days, so LOL at that idiot. It was 180 here yesterday.

Does anyone know of a good AQI reader for less than $100 USD? I have been wanting to take one with me wherever I go in Asia because a personal location-based reading is better than relying on websites. The city I will live in in India next does not have any AQI readings, and the closest station is about 60km away.
Unfortunately, being in China, I feel like I can't quite rely on the stuff I would buy here.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Haier posted:

I talked to a (white) UK guy a few weeks ago about the pollution in HK and Shenzhen. He said he never checked the AQI, and his kids never had any breathing problems, so obviously there was nothing to worry about (very Chinese of him). He thought I was paranoid to even consider that the air here could be bad, even though the smog-wall is visible on sunny days. I have checked every day since I've been here and often see it in the 100-150 on clear days, so LOL at that idiot. It was 180 here yesterday.

Does anyone know of a good AQI reader for less than $100 USD? I have been wanting to take one with me wherever I go in Asia because a personal location-based reading is better than relying on websites. The city I will live in in India next does not have any AQI readings, and the closest station is about 60km away.
Unfortunately, being in China, I feel like I can't quite rely on the stuff I would buy here.

Wear a mask every fuckin day, that's what you should do

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
To be entirely truthful, AQI devices are actually fairly complex and sensitive. You won't find anything of worth for that price.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haier posted:

no you should trust what the chinese govt says, you dont need to double check

just about anything you buy will tell you that there are particles and in what quantity but not what size they are which is sorta important

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 14, 2017

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

There's one called laser egg by a company called origin that a lot of people I know have. Dunno how much it is or how accurate, but it does seem to generally follow what the us consulate says for the outdoor readings and whatnot so it's probably an ok barometer if nothing else.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magna Kaser posted:

There's one called laser egg by a company called origin that a lot of people I know have. Dunno how much it is or how accurate, but it does seem to generally follow what the us consulate says for the outdoor readings and whatnot so it's probably an ok barometer if nothing else.

dont buy laser egg, its chinese as gently caress. Find something made in a white country wow im super racist

something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Dylos-DC1100-Standard-Quality-Monitor/dp/B000XG8XCI
made in the US and used by many people successfully to detect black mold spores.

you can find them used for around $100 since people get rid of them after they stop detecting whatever they were trying to fix

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 14, 2017

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I said something about the USA being similar size to China (in terms of square Km), and she got triggered pretty hard.

The best part was that right before this she was complaining about how there is no freedom in China to do what you want to do and everyone must be the same.

EDIT: To save face she said she meant China was only geographically united for thousands of years.
I have no idea what the gently caress that means.

Haier fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 14, 2017

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Less war...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_wars_and_battles

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

simplefish posted:

Not that intriguing. It was a make food hot thing and a smokey go bye bye thing

I totally looked but didn't see that here:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
We came back to work yesterday after the month-long holiday to find that mice had laid waste to the office. My coworker had left some snacks in her desk- no idea if they were sealed or not, but I had mice find and chew through a sealed bag of peanuts earlier this year, so it's possible.

So much mouse poo poo.

My coworker was scooping it out of her desk with a paper cup, there was so much. They even chewed through her computer power cord. My desk was mostly empty after my own infestation earlier this year, but I still had to wash poo poo and piss off my books, throw away a tree's worth of handouts/emergency teaching materials, and wash everything down with undiluted Dettol. They had somehow managed to poop in between stacked books; I have NO IDEA how they even did that. Another coworker's headphones got chewed through. Literally every desk was full of poo poo and had to be emptied and washed out. We had to throw out our supplies by the bucketload.

It stinks in here. it loving stinks.

Also, I got kanrenao'd so hard this morning that the starer lost her granddaughter. I walked one way with this woman gawping at me open-mouthed, her granddaughter toddled off in the other direction. After I crossed the road, I turned back to see Grandma still staring at me and the baby all the way down the block and heading for an intersection. Good thing it's just a girl or that could be stressful! :downs:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

A canary? Or a sheet of white paper that you hang outside each day?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Haier posted:

You aren't going to find anything good for under $100 yet. This government agency:
http://www.aqmd.gov/aq-spec/evaluations/summary
has done some real testing by comparing the readings from consumer devices with professional monitors over several months. A bigger r^2 value is better. Most of the reviews I saw on tech sites are nothing better than "I put it in my house and saw the numbers go up and down".

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

pairofdimes posted:

Most of the reviews I saw on tech sites are nothing better than "I put it in my house and saw the numbers go up and down".
LOL. Thanks. I will put up tissue paper and hope that blocks everything in my house.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

We came back to work yesterday after the month-long holiday to find that mice had laid waste to the office. My coworker had left some snacks in her desk- no idea if they were sealed or not, but I had mice find and chew through a sealed bag of peanuts earlier this year, so it's possible.

So much mouse poo poo.

I had a coworker go on maternity leave and half way through they found a mouse nest inside her desk, made of half eaten cracker wrappers.

Don't snack at your desk folks, especially in china

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Will any of you china goons walk around in a darth vader/ kyolo ren mask when the air gets really bad?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Girl: "Valentine's Day is a love holiday in your country, right?"
Me: "Yes, even though it's not really a holiday."
Girl: "But it is a day for lovers and couples and they give gifts?"
Me: "Yes, usually."
Girl: "Can I have a red envelope?"
Me: "You're not my girlfriend. I have never met you. We don't give money to people on this day."
Girl: "A red envelope is a gift."
Me: "I am sorry, you don't understand my culture."

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Haier posted:

Girl: "Valentine's Day is a love holiday in your country, right?"
Me: "Yes, even though it's not really a holiday."
Girl: "But it is a day for lovers and couples and they give gifts?"
Me: "Yes, usually."
Girl: "Can I have a red envelope?"
Me: "You're not my girlfriend. I have never met you. We don't give money to people on this day."
Girl: "A red envelope is a gift."
Me: "I am sorry, you don't understand my culture."

You gotta go whole Catholic on it.

"Saint Valentine is a very holy man in our culture, he married people, even though the Emperor made it illegal. He was a good person, and the the Emperor had him killed."

That'll be enough to shut em' up.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Why not tell her that she needs to give you a red envelope?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Tell her it's a tradition for employers to give their employees a pink slip on Valentines, as a symbol of appreciation for their hard work. They then give them some time off (starting with that day) to spend with their loved ones.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Ups_rail posted:

Why not tell her that she needs to give you a red envelope?

and then tell her "red envelope" is slag for pussy in your culture.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
rip kim jong nam. lost the chance to be a dictator by going to disneyland and then assassinated in malaysia

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

and then tell her "red envelope" is slag for pussy in your culture.

Give her a red envelope, but fill it with hell money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Haier posted:

The truth: Because I am saving money and I also have student loans, I gave myself a budget of 3000 per month (100 per day) for fun stuff and groceries. It doesn't go very far in modern China (especially in Shenzhen), and when the billionth person wants to go out for a 200 RMB meal where they expect you to pay then I feel it's not worth it. Especially when there are others that willing to go walk up a hill or go straight to bed without requiring a series of money-spending blah blahs, I would rather do that or get a meal offered to me.

A good post.

• Locked thread