Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

OH true, I completely glossed over Expand for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guy A. Person posted:

Has anyone noticed people who just stall out instead of resigning? I'm not sure if it could also be glitchiness but multiple times I've gotten to end game either in the lead or poised to win and people will just stop playing.

Nah there are definitely people like that.

I remember one game where the guy introduced himself by saying 'i play my turns as slow as possible'.

I said 'don't', he said 'nah', I resigned because gently caress that noise.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I've never gotten a warning like that, but yes, I've also resigned multiple games within the first 4 turns once I realized what's happening. gently caress that noise, I'm going to play a game that actually can be fun.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

thespaceinvader posted:

Nah there are definitely people like that.

I remember one game where the guy introduced himself by saying 'i play my turns as slow as possible'.

I said 'don't', he said 'nah', I resigned because gently caress that noise.

You got Ebdon'd

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
My instinct with that board vulturesrow posted is to just buy silvers and ventures, and then alternate goons/golds when I hit six. There's a lot of sweet combos but they all involve buying a ton of terminal actions while having no trashing to help us hit villiage + 2 actions consistently. If I get a 5/2 then I take rabble instead because silver/pass is such a weak opening.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

little munchkin posted:

My instinct with that board vulturesrow posted is to just buy silvers and ventures, and then alternate goons/golds when I hit six. There's a lot of sweet combos but they all involve buying a ton of terminal actions while having no trashing to help us hit villiage + 2 actions consistently. If I get a 5/2 then I take rabble instead because silver/pass is such a weak opening.

This but take an early watchtower since it's not going to be bad at any point in the game.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Is there any way to ban certain cards? Because I just played a game that had Black Market and Swindler and that might be the recipe for the worst Dominion experience possible.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CaptainRightful posted:

Is there any way to ban certain cards? Because I just played a game that had Black Market and Swindler and that might be the recipe for the worst Dominion experience possible.

Black Market, Knights, and Tournament should always be banned. I'd also never miss Oracle and spy for purely logistical reasons.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I just realized that Swindler is one of the best counters to Black Market. I still never want to play a game with it ever again.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Go to the familiar cards tab and ensure all cards are marked as familiar, then set the cards you hate as unfamiliar. Then go to options and change max unfamiliar cards to zero.

This effectively bans those cards from all of your future games unless you play on a table with respect familiar cards turned off.

I did this to Cultist, Rebuild and Possession and my Dominion experience improved enormously.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I hate playing Black Market in the physical game since its suck a pain to set up, so I'm glad for when it comes up on the online game. I actually played a rad game of it with Gladiator a few days ago.

EDIT: my issue is there are people with only base marked as familiar so I get to play with none of the cards I bought when I'm matched with them, except maybe the odd event or landmark :smith:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Guy A. Person posted:

I hate playing Black Market in the physical game since its suck a pain to set up, so I'm glad for when it comes up on the online game. I actually played a rad game of it with Gladiator a few days ago.

EDIT: my issue is there are people with only base marked as familiar so I get to play with none of the cards I bought when I'm matched with them, except maybe the odd event or landmark :smith:

Just play Expansions-only.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I'm starting to think Sentry is overpowered. Cantrip + mini chapel + mini cellar. It's useful at every stage of the game.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CaptainRightful posted:

I'm starting to think Sentry is overpowered. Cantrip + mini chapel + mini cellar. It's useful at every stage of the game.

It's main weakness is not trashing stuff in hand or on that first draw, but yeah it's really good and highly chainable, works well with other drawers as well (discard actions if you have have only a terminal in hand, or start up your engine by getting your village/drawer in the order you need). I don't know about overpowered, it's strong on a 5/2 opening but doesn't trash so fast that you leave your opponent in the dust (like what would happen if chapel wasn't $2)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Try to guess what the missing card in this final deck is. Hint: they're all in the trash.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Is it Golds??

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

Is it Golds??

Close. Think slightly less expensive.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

sector_corrector posted:

Close. Think slightly less expensive.

You manage to trash the entire silver pile?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fine, it was Capital. The debt counters don't trigger if it's not discarded, so you can start generating megaturns by turn 4 or 5 if you get the right cards to hit.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ahhhh yeah, forgot about Capital, for some reason it hasn't come up much lately. I knew about the Counterfeit and Herbalist combo with that but haven't had a chance to play either (also even Crown would help you offset the debt because the "when this is discarded from play" clause isn't doubled)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

ahhhh yeah, forgot about Capital, for some reason it hasn't come up much lately. I knew about the Counterfeit and Herbalist combo with that but haven't had a chance to play either (also even Crown would help you offset the debt because the "when this is discarded from play" clause isn't doubled)

Yeah, the only three cards I could think of off-hand once I realized the rule loophole were Mandarin, Herbalist, and Counterfeit.

Crown also works decently, but I suspect it's only as effective as having bought Golds with the danger of not having them collide:

Crown > Capital = 12 Gold (spend 6 on paying off debt), so really you're looking at two 3 value treasures and a free buy.
Counterfeit > Capital = 12 Gold, no debt tokens. So this bumps up your profitability a great deal. You technically have to buy more Capitals to make this really work, but it gives you more freedom to operate, since you can be putting together engine pieces (like overdrawing) at the same time and not have to wrestle with the debt tokens first.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sector_corrector posted:

Yeah, the only three cards I could think of off-hand once I realized the rule loophole were Mandarin, Herbalist, and Counterfeit.

Crown also works decently, but I suspect it's only as effective as having bought Golds with the danger of not having them collide:

Crown > Capital = 12 Gold (spend 6 on paying off debt), so really you're looking at two 3 value treasures and a free buy.
Counterfeit > Capital = 12 Gold, no debt tokens. So this bumps up your profitability a great deal. You technically have to buy more Capitals to make this really work, but it gives you more freedom to operate, since you can be putting together engine pieces (like overdrawing) at the same time and not have to wrestle with the debt tokens first.

Counterfeit + Capital is $13

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

Counterfeit + Capital is $13

Which is Province + replacement Capital

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, yeah, you're right, I forgot that Counterfeit has a Copper effect in addition to its duplication.

I also just realized that Mint would do the same thing. That sort of synergizes, but at a certain point having more than one or two Mints in a deck is a liability.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bonfire can trash 2 Capitals for half the cost of 1 (and using the buy from 1); that might be a decent way to trash early while also getting decent buys (trash a capital and a copper but still have $4 + whatever else you have in play left over) or to get late game use without shutting yourself out (2 Capitals pays for a Province plus the Bonfire with $1 and a buy left over).

Fortune like Crown just turns Capitals into regular golds (plus the fortune/crown effect) if you immediately pay off the debt.

Yeah Counterfeit is still by far the best but it's interesting theorizing what else could work to optimize profit without drowning you in debt.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

Bonfire can trash 2 Capitals for half the cost of 1 (and using the buy from 1); that might be a decent way to trash early while also getting decent buys (trash a capital and a copper but still have $4 + whatever else you have in play left over) or to get late game use without shutting yourself out (2 Capitals pays for a Province plus the Bonfire with $1 and a buy left over).

Fortune like Crown just turns Capitals into regular golds (plus the fortune/crown effect) if you immediately pay off the debt.

Yeah Counterfeit is still by far the best but it's interesting theorizing what else could work to optimize profit without drowning you in debt.

I found it out initially and was curious about combos because I had a few boards in a row with Capital and was baffled about how to effectively use it.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Play your Capitals, buy a Villa, trash them, gain from the trash. Or Black Market and then trash 'em. :2bong:

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Played an engine board with Triumph.

It also had Counterfeit, Festival, Haggler and Death Cart.

Got 31 point tokens from a single Triumph buy. I wanted to buy it multiple times that turn, but by the time I got that turn off, there was only 1 estate left. :(

Still won though!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Squire is such a great engine component. Free silver going forward is a great way to maintain a money distribution if you're doing alt-vp, the village with +$1 is useful for enabling terminals while not wasting a turn, and the buys are more situational, but nice to have. The on-trash is just gravy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I found a possibly redundant combo earlier? Shanty Town plus Coin of the Realm allows you to play the initial actions in your hand first then get the draw from Shanty Town. I say redundant because this turns the ST's into more expensive and situational Moats if you're already flush with actions from the Coins. It still seemed to work well since Coins can't be used the turn you get them, so your big action chains don't fail miserably when you're down to 1 or 2 Coins on your mat. But I can't decide if this is actually a legitimate thing to set up or if you're just going out of your way to get a +2 draw instead of getting more useful actions (it also might have been helped in my case since I had a few early Hirelings out).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

I found a possibly redundant combo earlier? Shanty Town plus Coin of the Realm allows you to play the initial actions in your hand first then get the draw from Shanty Town. I say redundant because this turns the ST's into more expensive and situational Moats if you're already flush with actions from the Coins. It still seemed to work well since Coins can't be used the turn you get them, so your big action chains don't fail miserably when you're down to 1 or 2 Coins on your mat. But I can't decide if this is actually a legitimate thing to set up or if you're just going out of your way to get a +2 draw instead of getting more useful actions (it also might have been helped in my case since I had a few early Hirelings out).

It seems like kind of an expensive way to get extra draws. Shanty Town is either a lovely village, or an awesome Lab. Adding Coin of the Realm to the mix seems like a lot of buys just to hit the Lab effect. I can see a place for it, depending on the board, but I'm not sure it would be my go to. I think it'd be super useful if you have a bunch of actions you need to play, and don't have a hand expander to get to them reliably.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah that's what I figured. I opened Bridge Troll/CotR so that gave me plenty of cheap buys and the only other draw was Royal Blacksmith which is obviously a poor opener, and I wanted to cycle my deck quickly to get to my Hirelings once I got them. It worked really well on the very specific board I had but wasn't sure if it was an actual thing in normal games.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I often open with a Shantytown / Silver because it's a great way to get an early massive hand. Shantytown gets less powerful as the game progresses, so I think your idea is a really good one in those situations. Use CoTR to play actions before you play Shantytown, and make it work as a Lab. I think it's a good use of both cards, but I don't think I'd base a deck around it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

sector_corrector posted:

I often open with a Shantytown / Silver because it's a great way to get an early massive hand. Shantytown gets less powerful as the game progresses, so I think your idea is a really good one in those situations. Use CoTR to play actions before you play Shantytown, and make it work as a Lab. I think it's a good use of both cards, but I don't think I'd base a deck around it.

If your opponent got a 5/2 opening without a powerful 5-cost attack, would you still start Shantytown/Silver on a 4/3 opening? Obviously Shantytown/Silver won't stand up to an Mountebank opening, but what about Shantytown/Silver VS Hagger/2 or Counterfeit/2?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

golden bubble posted:

If your opponent got a 5/2 opening without a powerful 5-cost attack, would you still start Shantytown/Silver on a 4/3 opening? Obviously Shantytown/Silver won't stand up to an Mountebank opening, but what about Shantytown/Silver VS Hagger/2 or Counterfeit/2?

Hmm, that's an interesting question. I wish there was a way to force start hands in Dominion.NET so I could test it against their attack heavy bot.

It obviously depends on what else is on the board, but Shantytown / Silver gives you a chance to play catch-up in round 3, plus it gives you an early engine piece if that's what makes sense on the board. I will say that with Counterfeit you don't neuter Shantytown if it's your first five-buy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Artisan is a great engine builder. Top decking engine components is awesome, especially if you have a +action way to draw into them. I feel like it works especially well with a self-synergizing card, like Minion.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
The only thing better than topdecking engine components is gaining them directly to your hand and hey, Artisan does that too!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ughhhh why does this new online game require you to actively reveal tunnels by clicking a tiny link in the log while putting a big button for DONE REACTING right in my field of view where I'm barely paying attention. I just missed out on 2 golds

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

There's a load of apps to generate Kingdoms, are they all the same or is one better than the others? I used to use Jack of All Dominion, it seemed fine, but I'm wondering there's a better one.

E: zomg wow amazing the client now has a logout button this changes EVARYTHING

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The only real thing to look for in a Kingdom generator is to make sure it's compliant with 2nd edition stuff. My preferred is Randominion on iOS, but it's missing some of the fancier features for making generation more tailored and less random.