Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's not a severed head, because it was never attached to anything.

I originally wrote disembodied but decided the title needed to have a major contextual error in it to represent "Oh, Japan" stories properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Guy Goodbody posted:

Wait, how the heck does the birth of a Dullahan work?
Probably C-section. I would imagine most of the surprise would come during an ultrasound well beforehand.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Maybe you're not born dullahan, it just suddenly activates one day and your head pops off

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Definitely c section. You could end up with the worlds worst breech presentation, no need to risk that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

Probably C-section. I would imagine most of the surprise would come during an ultrasound well beforehand.

Would the flame show up on ultrasound?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xelkelvos posted:

Would the flame show up on ultrasound?

Ultrasound is density-based, so I don't think a flame at body temperature would have any effect.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

They'd get a heartbeat though, which would hopefully clue someone in that something was up given the conflicting information of living baby body + cranial separation.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Lots of difficulties probably partly explains why there are just 3 of them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hadn't thought of that... :smith:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

El Burbo posted:

I just realized that early on doctors may have misdiagnosed the ultrasounds and told the parents that they baby wouldn't make it.... Oh man..... :smith:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

El Burbo posted:

Honestly she should be wearing a helmet. She's one tumble from brain damage/death.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
and the helmet could have convenient handles

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

A human head weighs ten pounds on its own. It's a wonder her arms aren't totally jacked from hefting a bowling ball around all her life.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
In the manga Machi actually is pretty jacked. The anime decided to leave that out for reasons I don't understand.

Edit: At the very least, she has really defined arms and shoulders.

mdct fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 13, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

In the manga Machi actually is pretty jacked. The anime decided to leave that out for reasons I don't understand.

Edit: At the very least, she has really defined arms and shoulders.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wonder why nobody ever tried crafting some sort of harness so that she could at least "wear" her head above her shoulders and have some semblance of normalcy? I think some biomedical engineer would at least be up to the challenge, given how they have prosthetic arms and legs capable of some degree of controllable movement nowadays.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
With only 3 in the world, one of them being a highschooler, they probably didn't know the right people.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder why nobody ever tried crafting some sort of harness so that she could at least "wear" her head above her shoulders and have some semblance of normalcy? I think some biomedical engineer would at least be up to the challenge, given how they have prosthetic arms and legs capable of some degree of controllable movement nowadays.

Like one of these deals?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I think the flame would make that difficult. You can't suppress it, since it's uncomfortable for Machi, and putting it above the flame would put it too high, even if you ignore the flame can adjust its height based on her mood.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Plus not being connected by a complex series of muscles and your spine would make the swaying problem she has really, really bad.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Plus not being connected by a complex series of muscles and your spine would make the swaying problem she has really, really bad.

You could just throw some sort of gyroscopic mechanism in there.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The point of those braces is to make the head completely immobile, she wouldn't sway

It would absolutely suck, she wouldn't be able to turn her head or look up or down and it would interfere with eating and talking. But it could be done

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That sounds like a really uncomfortable and difficult process for the sake of fitting in more in a society where her rights are already protected and her disability is generally accepted as a strange but harmless oddity.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If not one directly over her neck, then one over her shoulder. Depending on how far up the neck and its associated muscles go, she could even wear a collar that detects the movement and a servo system that moves her head accordingly.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Onean posted:

I think the flame would make that difficult. You can't suppress it, since it's uncomfortable for Machi, and putting it above the flame would put it too high, even if you ignore the flame can adjust its height based on her mood.

Oh gee, that's a good point. Huh! I wonder if she has the same discomfort if her own head is placed above her flame?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Like one of these deals?

There you go!

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

She gets nauseous when sensei was carrying her head, so I guess you need some training even for that.

She does have a harness, but only for eating or something when she's stationary. The current harness, without stabilization of some sort, probably wouldn't work so well while she was walking.

I wonder how large gyro-stabilization of a head would have to be? Can it be wearable?

FortMan fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 14, 2017

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Oh yeah it'd work fine, the head is only about ten pounds. A modified sturdy gimbal mount could handle that. That being said it's a lot of expense and makes you stick out more than just being a dullahan would.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Guy Goodbody posted:

The point of those braces is to make the head completely immobile, she wouldn't sway
Different kind of sway. You need a kind of natural sway in your head to keep your vision stable as your body moves. For most people, their neck does the job fine. For Machi, her arms fill in. If her head movement is locked to her body directly, she will be unable to easily see where she's going and get incredibly motion sick in the process.

So yeah, you'd likely need some kind of crazy multi-axis gimbal setup for it to be practical.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I don't think walking around strapped into something that gaudy looking would do her self-esteem any favors.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
poo poo, I just realized that this is a problem that has already been solved. A steadicam vest! The head can be securely attached so it'll be safer than just carrying her, no swaying, an articulated arm so it's easy for her to look around, it's perfect.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Helter Skelter posted:

Different kind of sway. You need a kind of natural sway in your head to keep your vision stable as your body moves. For most people, their neck does the job fine. For Machi, her arms fill in. If her head movement is locked to her body directly, she will be unable to easily see where she's going and get incredibly motion sick in the process.

So yeah, you'd likely need some kind of crazy multi-axis gimbal setup for it to be practical.

Plus, there's a lot more to it than just keeping your head balanced. Imagine if she leaned forward, should she be looking down or still facing forward? It's one thing to free up her hands but there's no real easy solution to her lack of a neck.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Guy Goodbody posted:

poo poo, I just realized that this is a problem that has already been solved. A steadicam vest! The head can be securely attached so it'll be safer than just carrying her, no swaying, an articulated arm so it's easy for her to look around, it's perfect.

god damnit i literally said this a month ago

Eej posted:

Sounds like some writer hasn't heard of a Steadicam.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
It would have to be specially configured since removing sway completely might still make you sick for the same reasons cars do. Plus while the steadycam's arm can move, it's nowhere near as easy as just using her own arm and would probably get annoying quick. Sitting in a harness for long periods might get uncomfortable too.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Honestly she's incredibly resistant to motion sickness as is.

She lives her life like she's controlling a resident evil 1 character when she's not carrying her head.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

No kidding. Her sense of proprioception must be all kinds of crazy.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, doing the rubber hand hammer test with her would probably be legitimately cruel.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

Yeah, doing the rubber hand hammer test with her would probably be legitimately cruel.

I think it probably wouldn't work because of her perspective.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I'm not a teenage girl but i'd rather carry my head around, and place it on a frilly pillow, than wear some dorky rear end complicated contraption for "convenience".

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Once again, Sakie proves that she is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I relate to the kid who thinks Sakie is cute

• Locked thread