Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Memento posted:

I did this about ten years ago, it was starring a comedian named Rocky LaPorte and it was the most contrived unfunny bullshit I've ever seen. I sent the review in tearing it to shreds and they sent me a gift card for my review. Never got picked up so I feel like I did a good thing that day.

It makes you wonder how many unsold pilots are sitting in a vault somewhere in Hollywood.

I always thought it would have a good idea to give these to MST3K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Kingdom posted:

It makes you wonder how many unsold pilots are sitting in a vault somewhere in Hollywood.

I always thought it would have a good idea to give these to MST3K.

It's not quite the same but there's this podcast which has various actors performing TV pilots that never got produced and usually interviewing the writers: http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/dead-pilots-society

And then there's this podcast which is about watching pilots that managed to get produced, but which failed to actually get a show out of it: http://theconsumption.net/podcasts/failure-to-launch/

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

fishmech posted:

It's not quite the same but there's this podcast which has various actors performing TV pilots that never got produced and usually interviewing the writers: http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/dead-pilots-society

And then there's this podcast which is about watching pilots that managed to get produced, but which failed to actually get a show out of it: http://theconsumption.net/podcasts/failure-to-launch/

Cool. I'll check those out.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

GWBBQ posted:

They haven't gotten approval to treat and release the water they recover, so they've been building an enormous tank farm to hold it.

There was also a really sensationalist article about a spike in radiation levels over the past week, which was actually just the result of them getting robots closer one of the melted down cores than they have before, which struck me as reminiscent of the search for the missing fuel in Chernobyl. Things are proceeding as well as they can after a nuclear meltdown, and cleanup is still going to take at least 40 years.

Interesting. I didn't read that article but was talking with someone who's wavering on a trip to Japan because he has young kids and is concerned about radiation levels.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

socketwrencher posted:

Interesting. I didn't read that article but was talking with someone who's wavering on a trip to Japan because he has young kids and is concerned about radiation levels.

Unless they're planning to specifically visit the reactors, that's not an issue. And for that matter, the closest tourist spots to the reactors got more or less completely destroyed by the tsunami so even though they have mildly raised background radiation, there's nothing to visit there anyway.

Major cities you would visit in Japan like Tokyo are over 100 miles away from the plant, and Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe are over 300 miles away.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

socketwrencher posted:

They'd probably get more radiation by being on the plane, than when they got on the ground

quote:

Typically, passengers flying from London to Chicago could expect to be exposed to around 4.8mrem, and those travelling from Washington DC to Los Angeles would be exposed to close to 2mrem. This compares to an airport body scanner which delivers around 0.1mrem and a chest X-ray that can vary between 2mrem and 10mrem.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131113-the-supernova-inside-your-plane

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

fishmech posted:

Unless they're planning to specifically visit the reactors, that's not an issue. And for that matter, the closest tourist spots to the reactors got more or less completely destroyed by the tsunami so even though they have mildly raised background radiation, there's nothing to visit there anyway.

Major cities you would visit in Japan like Tokyo are over 100 miles away from the plant, and Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe are over 300 miles away.

I wouldn't think it's an issue either, but he's more concerned about radiation levels in food than background radiation and he doesn't trust the figures put out by the government.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

spog posted:

They'd probably get more radiation by being on the plane, than when they got on the ground

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131113-the-supernova-inside-your-plane

Agreed. He was telling me about a doctor who moved out of Tokyo because independent readings diverged from government figures, but a 2-week vacation seems harmless as long as you don't eat natto (j/k).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

socketwrencher posted:

I wouldn't think it's an issue either, but he's more concerned about radiation levels in food than background radiation and he doesn't trust the figures put out by the government.

There ain't much food grown or caught near the reactor site these days, and what there is is usually consumed/sold locally. And all that aside, over 60% of Japan's food is imported from other countries, with that percentage tending to be higher in the major cities.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

fishmech posted:

There ain't much food grown or caught near the reactor site these days, and what there is is usually consumed/sold locally. And all that aside, over 60% of Japan's food is imported from other countries, with that percentage tending to be higher in the major cities.

Good to know. I think this is mostly a case of overly-worried-parent-syndrome.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Nighthand posted:

Neilsen sent me one of those household surveys with a crisp $2 in it with a promise of a whopping $5 if I fill it out and send it back. I'm sure this is some kind of trap -- they say doing so consents to calls from them -- but I'm wondering how big of a trap it is, if this is on the scale of multiple calls per day and tons of spam mail, or just the occasional call I can easily ignore. Anyone done this before?

I did Google a little bit I kept finding results about keeping more detailed TV records and this is just a very basic "do you watch TV? do you listen to the radio?" sort of survey. I assume it's a screener for more detailed enrollment in whatever programs they want me in if I meet their demographics.

I got one of these letters like 3 years ago. They invited us to do the whole Nielsen thing. You get a large chunk of money to start and then $25 a month per person in the house, provided you remember to wear your meter. We weren't asked to keep any diaries because the meter records "invisible audio signals" from whatever you're watching or doing. They do call you every so often to make sure you haven't moved and forgot to tell them.

It was kind of annoying, but it was a fun feeling that our opinions of media mattered, and they effectively bought us a nice dinner out once a month.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Thanks for all the Nielsen info. I suspect they wouldn't want anything to do with me anyways since I only listen to the radio in the car and I haven't had cable for years. My GF binge-watches Netflix and I watch Twitch streamers or random poo poo on YouTube more than anything. Though I suppose I could lie right up until they want to verify something, though it's probably just not worth the effort for the minimal amount of cash.

revolther
May 27, 2008
This might seem weird, but there was an amazing little online cartoon/video I wanted to share with a loved one and it appears to have gone missing from the internet...

Does anyone have a link or copy of, "I will play for you the banjo"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Nighthand posted:

Thanks for all the Nielsen info. I suspect they wouldn't want anything to do with me anyways since I only listen to the radio in the car and I haven't had cable for years. My GF binge-watches Netflix and I watch Twitch streamers or random poo poo on YouTube more than anything. Though I suppose I could lie right up until they want to verify something, though it's probably just not worth the effort for the minimal amount of cash.

The fact you aren't watching cable is information too. We didn't have cable the entire time we were doing it, just Netflix and dvds.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

socketwrencher posted:

Japan goon reporting in. My family and I live in Tokyo and eat Japanese food three times a day. We have all the appropriate numbers of limbs/fingers, and I do not glow in the dark. Fear of radiation is a senseless reason not to visit.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Besides, it's not the radiation you have to worry about, it's the radiation-mutated giant spiders.

Actually, no, they have giant combat robots to deal with those. So all you have to worry about is accidentally getting crushed when a combat robot hurls a giant spider into your hotel.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Grundulum posted:

Japan goon reporting in. My family and I live in Tokyo and eat Japanese food three times a day. We have all the appropriate numbers of limbs/fingers, and I do not glow in the dark. Fear of radiation is a senseless reason not to visit.

Glad to hear it. Is there any talk over there at all about radiation levels in food, water etc.? I don't mean near the reactors but in Tokyo etc. Thanks.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

socketwrencher posted:

Glad to hear it. Is there any talk over there at all about radiation levels in food, water etc.? I don't mean near the reactors but in Tokyo etc. Thanks.

It's not important enough that I hear anyone talking about it, but I think people are still afraid to eat food grown in/fished from the areas around the accident. Lots of stores/restaurants state where they source their various products from so you can see for yourself it didn't come from near Fukushima Dai-ichi (note: they may have done this even before the nuclear incident, but I didn't notice it until I returned in 2013 so I am attributing it to concerns about radiation/heavy metals in agricultural products). I've never heard anyone express any concern about the drinking water, or seen any sign that it's not perfectly safe. My daughter and I drink plenty of Tokyo tap water, and so far we haven't developed superpowers.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I have a massively important and extremely busy day of work tomorrow and I have been trying to get to sleep for 5 hours to absolutely no avail

Is it better to get one hour of sleep or just power through an all nighter and caffeinate myself to death tomorrow

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Ezzer posted:

I have a massively important and extremely busy day of work tomorrow and I have been trying to get to sleep for 5 hours to absolutely no avail

Is it better to get one hour of sleep or just power through an all nighter and caffeinate myself to death tomorrow

If it's literally one hour, don't worry about sleeping. Try to get a good dose of sunlight if at all possible.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Methanar posted:

If it's literally one hour, don't worry about sleeping. Try to get a good dose of sunlight if at all possible.

Kinda difficult when you're trapped inside a freezing warehouse at 4AM

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Ezzer posted:

Have a mug of hot chocolate, set your alarm and watch/read something relaxing in bed

You may fall asleep, you may not: but either way, you'll stop stressing about not falling asleep

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Xenoborg posted:

I just received a mystery package. It was one of those heavy paper bubbled bags, and all that was inside it was a Roku Streaming Stick. No note or invoice. My name an address are correct, and its from Kingsley Security in Las Vegas, which google turns up nothing having to do with Roku. I guess I'm going to hang onto it for a few weeks and see if I hear anything more...

A followup on this:

Turns out it was my work sending me something, but Amazon put the wrong item in the package.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

A followup on this:

Turns out it was my work sending me something, but Amazon put the wrong item in the package.

Why would amazon put a return address of Kingsley Security on a package?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
There was a surreal take on Garfield comics where Garfield was some kind of inter-dimensional abstract horror being. Can somebody remind me what it was called?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
You might be thinking of Garfield minus Garfield(literally Garfield but with Garfield photoshopped out)- some of the panels certainly fit what you're saying.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

CrazySalamander posted:

You might be thinking of Garfield minus Garfield(literally Garfield but with Garfield photoshopped out)- some of the panels certainly fit what you're saying.

Nah that's not the one, although that is funny. This one is original drawings.

weab00
Feb 12, 2017
How do I act around my crush? I know it's easy to say "just be yourself", but I can never do that around them. I become a shell and lose my ability to say anything interesting when I'm around her.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

Why would amazon put a return address of Kingsley Security on a package?

The item that I should have received is sold on amazon by that company.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

weab00 posted:

How do I act around my crush? I know it's easy to say "just be yourself", but I can never do that around them. I become a shell and lose my ability to say anything interesting when I'm around her.

Just be nice and ask questions about things that she likes to talk about. When she expands on that ask about some detail that she expanded about. Have a few (short!!!) default stories that you can basically tell through muscle memory for if you need to provide conversation.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

weab00 posted:

Ask her about her interests without using too many yes-no questions. Don't pepper her with a bunch of specific questions, just get her talking about something she's interested in. It's a lot easier to guide a conversation that it is to run one (which you shouldn't be trying to do anyway), but eventually you'll get better at holding your own.

She mentions hobby X: So how did you become interested in X?
She mentions her mom: Are you close to your family?
She talks about her cats: run, bro.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

weab00 posted:

Face away from her to conceal your erection. If that isn't enough, try distracting her by pretending you are a cat and crawling out of the room on all fours.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

Face away from her to conceal your erection. If that isn't enough, try distracting her by pretending you are a cat and crawling out of the room on all fours.

You have to meow, or else your cat impersonation will be awkward.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Face away from her to conceal your erection.

You'll never get the girl with that attitude.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Grundulum posted:

It's not important enough that I hear anyone talking about it, but I think people are still afraid to eat food grown in/fished from the areas around the accident. Lots of stores/restaurants state where they source their various products from so you can see for yourself it didn't come from near Fukushima Dai-ichi (note: they may have done this even before the nuclear incident, but I didn't notice it until I returned in 2013 so I am attributing it to concerns about radiation/heavy metals in agricultural products). I've never heard anyone express any concern about the drinking water, or seen any sign that it's not perfectly safe. My daughter and I drink plenty of Tokyo tap water, and so far we haven't developed superpowers.

Sorry to hear about the superpowers but cheers for the insight. I'll pass this and the other comments to my buddy- thanks to all.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I have a bunch of pics on my iphone I want to send to someone. What's the best way to do that? They are on android so I can only do direct like 2 at a time

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Alan Smithee posted:

I have a bunch of pics on my iphone I want to send to someone. What's the best way to do that? They are on android so I can only do direct like 2 at a time

Email.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Why can I listen to an album endlessly on youtube but lose all interest in it if I actually acquire it? Is there a marketing name for this behavior?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

google photos, Dropbox, box, onedrive, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Google Photos would be the integrated solution. Any of the above (^^) will also work with Dropbox being my #2 choice.