Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A Bystander posted:

Yeah, it blows rear end. Yosuke being wound up on the whole thing doesn't help at all and the dude's got murder by TV on the brain. How many questions did you answer before it told you that you failed?

I have no idea. I kinda lost count. I'd say at least 4 or 5? It's why I knew "this was it" and I had to be careful and I tried. Not good enough I guess. But it's like, a lot of the options even sounded bad. Like "he can repent..." sounds so weak and I avoided that. But none of them really say "it's not him!" or "would killing him even stop his Shadow?" That was what was thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I have no idea. I kinda lost count. I'd say at least 4 or 5? It's why I knew "this was it" and I had to be careful and I tried. Not good enough I guess. But it's like, a lot of the options even sounded bad. Like "he can repent..." sounds so weak and I avoided that. But none of them really say "it's not him!" or "would killing him even stop his Shadow?" That was what was thinking.

You were pretty close to the end of it by your count, at least. I really wish there was a choice to clock the gently caress out of him and get him to knock it off, but considering the situation, that'd probably end really lovely really fast.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is a logic to the right answers but it's mostly understandable if you don't get it. At least you know something wasn't done right though and should be able to easily just reload and try it again. Or ultimately just look up the answers because in the end who cares.

E: Really what it comes down to is HEY MAYBE WE'RE MISSING SOMETHING, LET'S NOT BE HASTY and everyone just kind of needs to CALM DOWN a bit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I recall the anime had Yu just walk over and silently pick up Namatame and almost shove him into the TV himself, but in the end couldn't bring himself to do it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A Bystander posted:

You were pretty close to the end of it by your count, at least. I really wish there was a choice to clock the gently caress out of him and get him to knock it off, but considering the situation, that'd probably end really lovely really fast.

Jesus Christ, the only thing I got wrong was I didn't say to "calm the hell down!" That was the key that makes everyone, uh, calm down. I just didn't think it would work. Believe me, it does not work in real life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really, the 'logic' is just to act like you're yelling at the game to give you the good ending instead of actually trying to communicate with the characters in the story through the dialogue boxes.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Jesus Christ, the only thing I got wrong was I didn't say to "calm the hell down!" Tha twas the key that makes everyone, uh, calm down. I just didn't think it would work. Believe me, it does not work in real life.

To me, it works in this case because it's probably the only time the MC gets visibly pissed off (it's been a year since I did a run so forgive me if I'm wrong), which is effective since they all don't know how to deal with that. They all respect him enough and trust him with their lives, so that's also a factor in it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also IIRC a number of dialogue options throughout the game are the MC telling folks to calm down, so you get the same thing here just understandably amped up a bit.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure everyone screws up somewhere in the sequence of choices. It's awkward but not that big a deal.

I can't recall, does Golden timeskip forward when you beat the next boss (wasting social link time if you do it early) or was that just base P4?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay... I'm annoyed and even somewhat offended. I tried to express what I was thinking - my friends are all idiots who weren't there for the rest of the game. A Shadow is not your true feelings. It's part of you and you can fight it and Namatame seemed to be doing that. I kept trying to say that but there was no dialogue option. I kept saying something was bothering me and off because it obviously was. But Nanako lives and time passes an dI leave and that's obviously not a good ending. I have no idea what I did wrong. It's not my fault none of the options make sense or actually convey what Iwas thinking.

Yep, you're at the crossroads part where I had exactly the same issue as you. You KNOW what you want to do, but the game waffles around it, and it's all kind of frustrating in its vagueness.

If I recall correctly the correct course is to get everybody to calm down and think for a second, but hell if I know the exact sequence of answers you gotta give there. No shame in looking it up if necessary. You've deduced correctly what you gotta do but the game is an rear end about it. Easily the one scene in P4 that drags it down a bit for me.

EDIT: oops, didn't see the next page. You got it.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 13, 2017

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Tortolia posted:

Pretty sure everyone screws up somewhere in the sequence of choices. It's awkward but not that big a deal.

If you followed the game's advice and saved first, at least. If you understand the logic (don't back down; something about the situation is inconsistent with the way the TV world works), you should be able to get it right in another try or two.

quote:

I can't recall, does Golden timeskip forward when you beat the next boss (wasting social link time if you do it early) or was that just base P4?

There's a much briefer timeskip unless you finish that dungeon early; you lose a couple of weeks overall.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tortolia posted:

You don't skip ahead to March at least (now you can play through January and some of February) but it's best to put off beating the December dungeon until the last possible second. I want to say it's the 22nd if you want to have a Xmas Eve event (which you do, you get an item!), and the 23rd if you don't.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
No shame in reading ahead to get the right answers for that particular load of crap. That scene makes me wanna put Yosuke in the tv. Like, Nanako's my family, not yours. You don't get to use her as an excuse for a little recreational murder.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yeah, I understand them not wanting to repeat the "Do you want the bad ending y/n?" thing from P3, but this was not the best way to do it.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'm not sure what alternatives there are beyond "bad ending fork where the right path is obvious" and "bad ending fork where the right path is not obvious." Maybe just not have a bad ending?

I kind of like that there's a decent chance that the player will stumble into a bad ending here, because you spent almost a year on this case and you shouldn't mindlessly click your way to the solution. At least this time the fork leads directly into the ending; I think the original Persona made you go through several dungeons before finding out you were going to lose because you said the wrong thing. Kind of like if Sierra adventure games made you grind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the right path is obvious, though. I've never met a single person who thought Namatame was the culprit. The player knows that Namatame isn't the culprit. The issue is that expressing that to the game is a nightmare of contradictory answers that don't always fit the scenario. Letting the player make a wrong decision is fine, but giving them a scenario where they have to divine how to express the decision they want to make to the game is frustrating and annoying.

Here's a solution: Namatame *and* his shadow cackle a bit about being evil, about hearing 'the voice' guiding them to what they should do. Have him moan about his wife or whatever. You capture him, Nanako dies, you're in that room with him and the TV. Instead of Yosuke proposing that you throw him in, everyone's just standing in the room solemnly. The player can leave to go see Nanako or walk up to Namatame and get a dialogue prompt saying "Punish him." or whatever.

It's still fairly obvious but at least the player is making a choice and is aware they're making a choice, and the choice is just a flat binary where if you know what you want to do you can do it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 13, 2017

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pureauthor posted:

I recall the anime had Yu just walk over and silently pick up Namatame and almost shove him into the TV himself, but in the end couldn't bring himself to do it.

Yeah, and it's a pretty good scene.

But I don't believe there's any shame in looking up a guide to make sure you pick the right options.

Anyway, one Golden question: What are good tactics for conserving SP? I'm in Yukiko's Castle right now and keep running out of SP, since the Shuffle Time isn't drawing a lot of "Regain SP" cards and I forgot to grab some soda.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Turn on SOS.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Buy the pop every day.

I forget which one it is

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Eh. That's true of one or two questions, but a lot of the wrong answers are "I give up" or saying something that's obviously incorrect.

It shouldn't take more than a handful of tries without a guide. More problematic, though, is that someone playing without a guide won't know whether they succeeded for a couple of scenes.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

littleorv posted:

Buy the pop every day.

I forget which one it is

TAP.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Each Sos you get back is about 3 SP per party member. There's health too but it doesn't matter. It only sounds like a little but it racks up quick.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

You don't skip ahead to March at least (now you can play through January and some of February) but it's best to put off beating the December dungeon until the last possible second. I want to say it's the 22nd if you want to have a Xmas Eve event (which you do, you get an item!), and the 23rd if you don't.

That's right. I just wanted to highlight that the December dungeon is unique in that regard; finishing it right away loses you time you could spend on other things, unlike the other dungeons where you want to clear them ASAP in order to give you more options.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
The scene where you go for the good ending is the worst part about P4 and that's why it's worse than P3

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
every single random battle tells you what you gotta do in that sequence idk how its so hard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MotU posted:

every single random battle tells you what you gotta do in that sequence idk how its so hard
>make history isn't a dialogue option

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

The scene where you go for the good ending is the worst part about P4 and that's why it's worse than P3

mods?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Move over persona 5.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Move over persona 5.

I hope that's your picture because I need to know what Persona 4 Undertale is. These spinoffs are getting out of control.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bogart posted:

I hope that's your picture because I need to know what Persona 4 Undertale is. These spinoffs are getting out of control.

It sadly is not but I'm guessing it's just a bootleg of Persona Q.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Shin Persona 4 Megami Undertale (nb. very loud) is probably just a Reddit meme. It might be based on a bootleg, but I don't care enough to check. I just saw a few things titled with it pop up on my YT subscriptions page a couple days ago.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it could also be undertale dumped into a 3ds cart. people have homebrewed it onto a 3ds so it's entirely possible some bootlegger just grabbed that to sell it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't wait for Persona 5 to come out tomorrow

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

MotU posted:

I don't think the lyrics included the words "go to Junes before leaving Inaba"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
don't open that wound

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Arist posted:

I can't wait for Persona 5 to come out tomorrow

can't wait for tomorrow, 2015 Winter

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Metallia posted:

can't wait for tomorrow, 2015 Winter

Man 2014 winter sure has been a wacky time hasn't it

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, I was about to drop TMS something fierce today after an early Chapter 4 boss made me want to punt the Wii U Controller into space. I know MegaTen hard is a thing, but enemies just casually doing 700+ damage to 500-600~ HP party members (plus all of an enemies buddies can join in on the fun for some overkill) just didn't seem right. And it was something I was gradually noticing in the last chapter at that, but was absolutely confused as to why the enemies would be this much overtuned on the default difficulty.

... But apparently I didn't get the memo that the accessories also have defense stats and buying the new ones for every character turned what would have been a 700+ damage kill into like 100.

Looks like I may be able to do it for Ellie after all before P5 hits.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

You better hurry then because Persona 5 comes out tomorrow, February 14, 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

mandatory lesbian posted:

what do you mean by prescriptive upgrade system

I mean whereas in P4 or SMT4 (the main games in the series I've played) you're fusing together your own party of demons and customising their moves through the "parents" in TMS FE you just grind out each weapon in turn, your progress gated by the mats for each weapon and the only choice you have is in which moves not to discard, you can't breed in invulnerability to your weakness or anything.
I suppose i mean in P4 your main character is extremely customisable and in SMT4 your party is extremely customisable, in TMS FE nobody really is.