Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Any videos of somebody dickbatting a longsword against samurai armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any good video guides/whatever to the berserker floating around? Despite it being arguable the worst one of the assassins, i wanna keep ramming my dick up this brick wall cause i really like the aesthetics, animations and sound design of the zerker.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

mellowjournalism posted:

Any videos of somebody dickbatting a longsword against samurai armor?

nm found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWiaRhQDZFE

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I love the look of the zerker but I have no success with it. I have to dodge like in the matrix to see great success with it and it's a lot of effort

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

whatspeakyou posted:

Didn't play beta because siege is a shiny thing that distracted me, but what kind of shape were berserkers in with this last beta? I loved them during the technical test (or at least the idea of them).

Also, should I be using a controller for this? even on PC? Does it just work better?

Berserker is are fairly mediocre, I'd say. No obvious weaknesses, and between the feints and deflects you have lots of ways to sneak in individual hits. His main weakness is that so much of his kit builds towards his infinite combo, but past a certain skill level any player will parry out of that before you're even two hits in. He's not bad, really, but almost everything he does is done as well or better by Orochi or Peacekeeper. Well except when you're up against fairly new players and just utterly ruin their day in a single neverending flurry of attacks.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo&t=378s

:colbert:

The katana arguably did better against the plate :smug:

But tbh both swords sucked against it

that wasn't actually armor :ssh:

you could bang on plate with a sword as much as you wanted and you wouldn't do a drat thing which is why there are so many weird-looking techniques in the FIGHT BOOKS for how to effectively do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q

the classic 'throw the dope on the ground and shove a spike through his eye hole', f.ex

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

I felt like a loving boss just hitting one person with that. I wish that gif showed the chat after that happened.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I love the look of the zerker but I have no success with it. I have to dodge like in the matrix to see great success with it and it's a lot of effort

After like 12 hours of constant zerker autism against highlevel bots i got to the point where i could make new player ragequit and usually win against okay to good players, but if they played a broken class like Peacekeeper or whatever forget about it. Once when the stars aligned i made a peacekeeper alt-f4 the game tho and i will never forget it.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Berserker is are fairly mediocre, I'd say. No obvious weaknesses, and between the feints and deflects you have lots of ways to sneak in individual hits. His main weakness is that so much of his kit builds towards his infinite combo, but past a certain skill level any player will parry out of that before you're even two hits in. He's not bad, really, but almost everything he does is done as well or better by Orochi or Peacekeeper. Well except when you're up against fairly new players and just utterly ruin their day in a single neverending flurry of attacks.

I can't tell you how many loving times I'd get killed by a zerker with no stamina by mistiming overhead parries :smith:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Dongattack posted:

Any good video guides/whatever to the berserker floating around? Despite it being arguable the worst one of the assassins, i wanna keep ramming my dick up this brick wall cause i really like the aesthetics, animations and sound design of the zerker.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794049&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=35#post469291524

This list of guides should probably go in the OP

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm bummed I miss the open beta for this. It took me a while to get sucked into the hype which I funny because I love everything going on in this game. It's still rough to tell if it's going to have any casual appeal though. I don't mind the depth and all, but if it's going to be like a literal fighting game I don't know. I might want to save my regret and skip it.

It's a shame I just found out there's a ton of loot and customization? Extremely my poo poo. C'mon Ubisoft stop trying to make me buy this.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm bummed I miss the open beta for this. It took me a while to get sucked into the hype which I funny because I love everything going on in this game. It's still rough to tell if it's going to have any casual appeal though. I don't mind the depth and all, but if it's going to be like a literal fighting game I don't know. I might want to save my regret and skip it.

It's a shame I just found out there's a ton of loot and customization? Extremely my poo poo. C'mon Ubisoft stop trying to make me buy this.

I'm picky as gently caress about games and I can tell you it's good. I hate most fighting games because of complex and lovely inputs built for joysticks (I hate quarter circling) and massive dial-a-combo strings. This game has neither of those. Just pure fighting game style strategy of play and counterplay.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Nice, i had read the guide already, but i didn't know i could set the round limit to 99 on custom game. Wish i had known that during the beta.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Someone was asking about team switching earlier and I like the way they handle it.

You give up all rewards for the round you switch in, and if you switch in anything but the first round for the season, you lose all season rewards too.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Kilometers Davis posted:

Dude I am terrible at fighting games and have always watched them in awe. I am bad at this one too but man playing it is fun. Plus I get to barbie up knights AND vikings AND samurais :q:

And for every tough beat you will find some really good player with his back to you focused on someone else and then you kick him off a ledge

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sounds rad. To be honest I never care if I'm doing lovely as long as I'm not getting constantly stun locked and rolled in a game. If the gameplay is fun and I'm earning dumb unlocks, cool.

Haroshia posted:

I'm picky as gently caress about games and I can tell you it's good. I hate most fighting games because of complex and lovely inputs built for joysticks (I hate quarter circling) and massive dial-a-combo strings. This game has neither of those. Just pure fighting game style strategy of play and counterplay.

Appreciate the info man, that gives me confidence. I love strategy and complexity but I highly prefer pure simplicity in the basic gameplay.

I do wish the game was a little bloodier and nastier though from watching videos. Does the sound design at least make for that in person?

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Appreciate the info man, that gives me confidence. I love strategy and complexity but I highly prefer pure simplicity in the basic gameplay.

I do wish the game was a little bloodier and nastier though from watching videos. Does the sound design at least make for that in person?

I don't know what you mean. There's decapitations, battle damage, and blood all over the place.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Id disagree. In my experience playing zerker, they do more damage than other assassins(though no bleed) which makes them very effective counter assassins. Especially when you add in an infinite chain against limited blocking

In addition, you only need a few counter attacks to mulch other units, as well as having so many defensive reactions you can do switch ups on the defense which makes it harder to predict your next move.
Light parry, heavy parry, deflection, dodge, block, or my favourite, interrupt with your stupid fast light attack.

From fighting other zerks i would say most dont use the dodge followup or the area attack nearly enough.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Did we land on a proper Discord to add to the OP? Any will do at this point.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Haroshia posted:

I don't know what you mean. There's decapitations, battle damage, and blood all over the place.

It's not very gory though. It doesn't really have that choppy, meaty, nasty feel I'm sure a lot of people would prefer. It's more of a weighty, clangy feel. You never see limbs off and there really isn't much blood.

They could've gone really gruesome and bleedy but instead it's all clean lops and arcade-y smashes. Either way is fine, this works for me, but I think a gorier aesthetic would serve more moba-oriented version of this game.

Okay yeah now that I think about it I want the AI mooks to be losing fingers and toes and butts and crying for their mommies

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
So we're going Vikings at launch right? Gotta stick it to those reddit tin-cans and the weebs...

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

So we're going Vikings at launch right? Gotta stick it to those reddit tin-cans and the weebs...

I picked vikings in the beta soley to call others weabos and unwashed filth respectively. My handsome, freshly bathed berserker lady showed them what for.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

This still just shows the normal midnight est unlock for me, are they gonna be really cool and do switch to midnight EU last minute?

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Buying this on PC, should I consider using a controller over kb/mouse? Which is more efficient/easier to control?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

whatspeakyou posted:

Buying this on PC, should I consider using a controller over kb/mouse? Which is more efficient/easier to control?

I found I like the kb/mouse better then a controller after i maxed out the Guard Block sensitivity for mouse.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Maxing guard block was like the first thing I did too. Made it so much easier.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Monowhatever posted:

This still just shows the normal midnight est unlock for me, are they gonna be really cool and do switch to midnight EU last minute?

Hm, not sure. Could just be 11pm local time? It unlocks at 7am Australian time but the servers don't go live till it launches in EU in 5 hours.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Unless they change something in the full game, berserker has a huge weakness. Even a normally blocked light attack opens up the berserker to an uncounterable/unguardable light attack.

No parry needed. Only character (as far as I could tell) that has this specific weakness vs normal blocks.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Well this clears it up!

Nov 3, 2015

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well this clears it up!

Little dense this morning. For PC, who's local time? Does that just mean staggered launch? So EST will get to play before PST?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Whatever timezone you're in.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well this clears it up!

Why post opening the servers before you can play the game?"

Edit: I'm retarded :downs: . I didn't see local time on the launch thing.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 13, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

satanic splash-back posted:

Unless they change something in the full game, berserker has a huge weakness. Even a normally blocked light attack opens up the berserker to an uncounterable/unguardable light attack.

No parry needed. Only character (as far as I could tell) that has this specific weakness vs normal blocks.

You can dodge cancel light attacks as zerk and get behind them where they cant block you.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You bathless peasants better stream this poo poo when it comes out in your country

Nov 3, 2015

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Whatever timezone you're in.

I don't think I have ever seen a game do that. It means Europe will be playing 7 hours before anyone in the US, and 10 hours before the PST.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

1500 posted:

I found I like the kb/mouse better then a controller after i maxed out the Guard Block sensitivity for mouse.

I want to figure this out too; has anyone who played in the beta tried using both? Which was better?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

1500 posted:

I don't think I have ever seen a game do that. It means Europe will be playing 7 hours before anyone in the US, and 10 hours before the PST.

A lot of games do this really. I can't count the times I've had to VPN into the US or SEA to unlock a game days in advance because of bullshit release dates.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

1500 posted:

It happens every once in a while. Not unheard of.

Nov 3, 2015

Skull Knight posted:

I want to figure this out too; has anyone who played in the beta tried using both? Which was better?

I did use both, it is going to be a personal comfort thing, some people will like Kb some will like the controller, there really is no hard answer.

I found the Kb better for me, partially because I could map more controls to my mouse and not have to take control off the guard block (or movement). And also because I just play more games with a mouse than controller. But I know lots who liked the controller.

One issue in the beta was that some of the controller support that was apparently in the alpha disappeared, I would expect that to get fixed sooner rather than latter but perhaps not a launch.

1500 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Skull Knight posted:

I tried both but ended up going with controller because actual movement felt better on the analog stick but I also missed that there was a guard block sensitivity option so I'm definitely going to have to get KB&M another shot come release.