Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ThirdLight posted:

Gotta ask, Stalker for large laser boating, or Marauder for 4 er ppc sniping? They on sale right now and I dont wanna keep saving for timber wolf and i want something long range finally.

Stalker for laser boating, Marauder for semi-brawly combo builds. PPC/UAC is a good combo build but if you're trying to pop snipe with it you're gonna find most variants have the energy mounts way too low. Marauders are totally worth it but not for sniping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
How do you even snipe in a Marauder? Those things don't exactly peek well.

Maybe the triple AC/5 one peeks well*, but not with energy builds.

*peeks well for a heavy anyway

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Of you want an inner spehere laser boat get a battlemaster 1g or 2c, stalkers are too slow and mediocre. Marauders lost their MC-only armor but are ok for a heavy I guess.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I would not recommend a stalker to anyone. They used to be good but they have been surpassed in every area by other mechs.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DancingShade posted:

How do you even snipe in a Marauder? Those things don't exactly peek well.

Maybe the triple AC/5 one peeks well*, but not with energy builds.

*peeks well for a heavy anyway

The 3R with 2x UAC5 and 2x PPC all stuffed into the right arm and torso corner peeks okayish for what it is, but it's definitely no sniper.

ThirdLight
Jun 7, 2003

Artificer posted:

Between the two builds you suggested, the Stalker is far more reliable and good. Stalkers are also pretty versatile.

Thank you!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
5 MPL and SRMA 24 Stalker pretty awesome I dunno what you people are talking about.

Edit: They are slow though. Just put that excess weight into more guns.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

LRM 100 Stalker is pretty great too, as a comedy option.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Are stalkers and marauders still on sale? I thought that ended a while ago.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Artificer posted:

3 MPL and SRMA 30 Stalker pretty awesome I dunno what you people are talking about.

Fixed that for you. Less heat moar damage (still hot tho).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Fixed that for you. Less heat moar damage (still hot tho).

Is that on the 5M? Fiddling with 3 firing groups is hard though. :saddowns:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Artificer posted:

Is that on the 5M? Fiddling with 3 firing groups is hard though. :saddowns:

Left click, right click, left shift. As long as group 3 isn't something you're spamming non stop it's pretty easy to make work.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You're all wrong, the STK-5M "Missile Dong" is only meant for ASRM30 with a large laser CT for that sweet sweet zombie potential.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Stalkers are too slow and thier torso twist is garbage. The 5N was ok for boating large lasers a while ago but lately i only ever see them used as lrm mechs. 5M is a garbage SRM bomber outclassed by other faster mechs who can run jumpjets. I'll concede they have awesome hill humping abilities, but you'll scarcely use them if you're constantly trying to catch up to your team.

Just too slow, you'll be helpless vs lights. look around as you play MWO and ask yourself "Do i see any of these stalkers in this thread being used effectively in game?"

cmon,there is a reason you see way more timberwolves than stalkers. save your cbills don't waste your time polishing turds

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 13, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Willfrey posted:

Stalkers are too slow and thier torso twist is garbage. The 5N was ok for boating large lasers a while ago but lately i only ever see them used as lrm mechs. 5M is a garbage SRM bomber outclassed by other faster mechs who can run jumpjets. I'll concede they have awesome hill humping abilities, but you'll scarcely use them if you're constantly trying to catch up to your team.

Just too slow, you'll be helpless vs lights. look around as you play MWO and ask yourself "Do i see any of these stalkers in this thread being used effectively in game?"

cmon,there is a reason you see way more timberwolves than stalkers. save your cbills don't waste your time polishing turds

yeah by me :smug:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The 6 LL -4N is still real drat good if you play it exclusively as a hill-humper but you'll not be able to outtrade night gyrs and timber wolves that poptart

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The UAC Kodiak is still real good but you'll not be able to outtrade night gyrs and timber wolves that poptart

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

What's the Cbill cost for a WoL invite up to nowadays?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Willfrey posted:

Agreed on all accounts.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh wait, yeah if you haven't got a Timber Wolf yet, then get a Timber Wolf first. Clearly the better mech.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Stalkers were my first mastered mechs and they instantly turned me from a scrub nobody into a top tier legend.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I enjoy the misery for hill humping

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Artificer posted:

Oh wait, yeah if you haven't got a Timber Wolf yet, then get a Timber Wolf first. Clearly the better mech.

Personally I enjoy my Night Gyr more than the Timbro these days.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Personally I enjoy my Night Gyr more than the Timbro these days.

LIkewise. It's slower, but frankly the meta has really shifted such that anything with high mounts is king. With all that high mount dakka it's basically a smaller KDK3.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Laser vomit Stalker was the best :(

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

LIkewise. It's slower, but frankly the meta has really shifted such that anything with high mounts is king. With all that high mount dakka it's basically a smaller KDK3.

What are you (or any of you other mechbros) using on your NTGs? I bought a NTG Prime a couple days ago, first time logging in since they have been out for CB. Thing is, I can see a ton of fits that look decent on it (six UAC2, four UAC5, PPC/Gauss, etc) but nothing that seems unique to it yet. I'm actually running the stock build (2 ER PPC, UAC10, 3MPL) with unfucked armor distribution and it's regularly bringing in 500-700 damage games without basics, so I can only imagine how good this will be with an optimized loadout.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I've been running 3 UAC 5 and a single UAC 10. With UACs synching isn't so much of an issue since you just pop up, double tap, then creep back in your hole while the jams time out.

edit: note that this isn't optimzed in any way. I pretty much just tried to build it as close to a KDK3 as I could, and then it worked well enough that I didn't feel a need to gently caress with it too much more.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've been running 3 UAC 5 and a single UAC 10. With UACs synching isn't so much of an issue since you just pop up, double tap, then creep back in your hole while the jams time out.

edit: note that this isn't optimzed in any way. I pretty much just tried to build it as close to a KDK3 as I could, and then it worked well enough that I didn't feel a need to gently caress with it too much more.

Depending on what kind of retardation is going on, I either do this build, 4 lbx5 with large laser, or 6 uac2s. The mech just lends itself to so many different builds you eventually start doing silly poo poo like 7 machine guns and a ll.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
10 ERSL Viper M is the best thing in the game because when you realize you're hosed you arm lock, go into override and manfight one assault's ct dead in a blaze of glory

It also blows out Night Gyrs' backs out in one salvo but I am tier 2 and people are hip to my bullshit

Bobcats fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 14, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Depending on what kind of retardation is going on, I either do this build, 4 lbx5 with large laser, or 6 uac2s. The mech just lends itself to so many different builds you eventually start doing silly poo poo like 7 machine guns and a ll.

Yeah, it's one of the very few omnis that I think I'll own multiples of after the skill patch. It's basically just a bucket of near-limitless good mounts and as such you can make just about any good 75 ton build you can think of.

I mean, gently caress, I laugh when I seen an LRM-Gyr, but GODDAMN can they carry a lot of them and hooooly poo poo a pilot who isn't an idiot can spam some ungodly damage with one. One of the few cases where I prioritize face tanking that LRM boat asap to get it off the table.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bobcats posted:

10 ERSL Viper M is the best thing in the game because when you realize you're hosed you arm lock, go into override and manfight one assault's ct dead in a blaze of glory

It also blows out Night Gyrs' backs out in one salvo but I am tier 2 and people are hip to my bullshit

Add 4 machine guns and the Viper ruins people that that have no rear armor.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The new skill system is so hosed. There is no way they will implement it, it will die just like energy draw. I think this is both hilarious and sad. Hilarious because how extremely incompetent Russ is and sad because the game I like is dying.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/5u5hxi/russ_is_opposed_to_free_respec/

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

It makes me sad too, because despite its flaws it is still a BT game, and the closest to good* we are likely to see unless a good dev magically acquires the licence, which will never happen.

Yes it's me, the guy with Stockholm Syndrome.

*New BT notwithstanding, and referring to MW style piloting games not TT ones.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I do not understand why MW:O is the only mech game, how come there aren't other big games where you pilot a mech and shoot big guns? The only other mech games I know about are those horrible Japanese anime mech games and they stink.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It turns out the target audience for slower-paced "simulator" shooters isn't that big.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

I do not understand why MW:O is the only mech game, how come there aren't other big games where you pilot a mech and shoot big guns? The only other mech games I know about are those horrible Japanese anime mech games and they stink.

Japanese anime mech games are good, my friend.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Artificer posted:

Japanese anime mech games are good, my friend.

But they're not the same. Gundams and Majin Kaisers and whatever others there are are all cool in their own way but it isn't the same.

I'd play the gently caress out of an Arpeggio of Blue Steel game* though.

*especially with dressup and tea party options for your waifuship

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

But they're not the same. Gundams and Majin Kaisers and whatever others there are are all cool in their own way but it isn't the same.

I'd play the gently caress out of an Arpeggio of Blue Steel game* though.

*especially with dressup and tea party options for your waifuship

Yeah, true. Slower stompy mechs just aren't as popular vs, say, tanks, unfortunately.

Shame that World of Tanks is worse about the grind.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Mo

TjyvTompa posted:

Money. I'm a developer and have/know the resources to make a better mech game. But I can't find the moneys to do that, so I end up working for others and playing this mess :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

and I have no idea why they aren't. I mean, fricken laserbeams and dakka and stomping and stuff, but no.

• Locked thread