Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

aaaaahahahahahahaha

Been in a similar situation in a humvee, but hahahaha that has to suck one million times more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
One of the nice things of going through ABOLC and being a scout the entire time is never having to worry about getting a tank stuck or popping track

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

That bullshit red clay garbage might as well be cement :rip:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Ain't seen a problem yet an 88 can't fix.

but for reals that's a really bad problem.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The M88 is a thing of brute magnificent power. Working one is probably the only armour job I'd be willing to take.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

not caring here posted:

Ain't seen a problem yet an 88 can't fix.

but for reals that's a really bad problem.

If you do a really thorough job of getting stuck it takes two M88s. :sun:

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Mustang posted:

One of the nice things of going through ABOLC and being a scout the entire time is never having to worry about getting a tank stuck or popping track

I was an FO attached to scouts. I didn't know what a wash rack was until I went to JRTC after Iraq. I can just spray my boots off with a hose.

Have fun in your fart cans you mech dorks.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Phanatic posted:

That's just a little prick.

Mexican cops kill a cartel head and 7 of his goons via minigun:

https://youtu.be/wIUZL7nqmYU

That poo poo was metal as gently caress.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Richard Bong posted:

I was an FO attached to scouts. I didn't know what a wash rack was until I went to JRTC after Iraq. I can just spray my boots off with a hose.

Have fun in your fart cans you mech dorks.

One thing I noticed is that 19 series consider SBCTs a light assignment and 11 series consider them a heavy assignment. Personally I think they have more in common with IBCTs but with obviously more maintenance.

I like strykers, they're pretty comfortable as scouts because there's only like 5 or 6 dudes per stryker. Still spend most of our time dismounted though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

EBB, how does this make you feel?

My eye is twitching and I feel a flashback coming on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

"Wikipedia posted:

There are currently three variants, the M88, M88A1 and M88A2 HERCULES (Heavy Equipment Recovery Combat Utility Lifting Extraction System).

That is a great backronym.

Edit: I don't know why it's adding quotation marks, but that's loving up the link to the wikipedia page.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
heh

Tankers fat

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hahahhaha, that's pretty good.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That checklist forgets to ask about a micropenis.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/EjmAlrai/status/830807426735628289

They've been weaponizing drones the past few weeks (multiple groups, not just ISIS)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/829298897537359873

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Should have set his hours right and widows wouldn't have forced the update.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Richard Bong posted:

Should have set his hours right and widows wouldn't have forced the update.

Just sayin', I would guess the capability exists to do that intentionally. ISIS and the other folks in that region aren't stupid, but properly securing their communications channels with drones while western special forces are running around the region isn't going to be an easy task.

Could work with fixed waypoints I guess but that's not nearly as handy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Isn't the Mexican Military or at least their Marines or commando or w/e the nation's police force. I've heard a lot of good things. They aren't corrupt as gently caress and do their job etc

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've spent the last few months working on a new Atlantic Council report, Breaking Aleppo, and as part of it Forensic Architecture at Goldsmith's University put together the following video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CJ-KKLzyBU

They used photographs and videos of M2 hospital, damaged in multiple bombings, to reconstruct the hospital in 3D, then map videos into the model in the exact positions where they were filmed. Long term we hope to do this with multiple locations and turn it into a VR experience.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Isn't the Mexican Military or at least their Marines or commando or w/e the nation's police force. I've heard a lot of good things. They aren't corrupt as gently caress and do their job etc

Part of it is that they aren't local, and don't live in the community so it is much harder to threaten them or their families.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The Mexican Marines are just the rich people's personal police force. It's why they get direct federal funding whikle 80% of the Mexican police force are geared using "Private donated funds" which just means bought by whichever local cartel wants legalized muscle

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Brown Moses posted:

I've spent the last few months working on a new Atlantic Council report, Breaking Aleppo, and as part of it Forensic Architecture at Goldsmith's University put together the following video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CJ-KKLzyBU

They used photographs and videos of M2 hospital, damaged in multiple bombings, to reconstruct the hospital in 3D, then map videos into the model in the exact positions where they were filmed. Long term we hope to do this with multiple locations and turn it into a VR experience.

This is a hell of a project.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Hope you rotate off poo poo like that sorta how paramedics do. Don't need another broken brain round these parts

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Hope you rotate off poo poo like that sorta how paramedics do. Don't need another broken brain round these parts

Everyday for 6 years would be bad then?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
just hire broken people from gip to do the bad poo poo for you

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Everyday for 6 years would be bad then?

I would assume so, though some people just seem to be able to handle that poo poo easily

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

Hot Karl Marx posted:

How do us paramedics rotate off of poo poo? Been working the same twelve hour overnight schedule in the same poor cities for ten years now.

Which leads to a relevant point: stuff like that video makes me feel extremely fortunate to do what I do in the US. Sure, people on PCP try to fight us all the time, and I've had coworkers stabbed and poo poo at work, but at least nobody's targeting the hospitals from aircraft. The last ICU/peds hospital in Aleppo, with what looks like all of like sixty beds. What a loving nightmare.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Frosted Flake posted:

Part of it is that they aren't local, and don't live in the community so it is much harder to threaten them or their families.

Right, I guess that makes sense

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a bit of footage we used for the reconstruction of the hospital, this is the security cameras from M2 during the July 16th 2016 attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBfCb4OGoDI

I took this and lots of other photos and footage to figure out the floor plan, and the position of the cameras. The stinker was each floor had a near identical lobby area, but I figured out the cameras were numbered in reverse order from bottom to top, which along with other information allowed me to figure out which floor they were on. After that I used things like the different shades of floor tiles to match other footage to the floors featured in the security cameras.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

post-avatar combo of the century

Those recreations are pretty loving cool, though. I'd love to see more interesting details on how you put it all together if you feel like posting more about it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Does jihadi music score your dreams, Brown Moses?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Does jihadi music score your dreams, Brown Moses?

I watch the videos with the sound off so I don't hear the screams.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Jesus :(

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Moses, I don't know where you're based, but if you're ever around Madison, Wisconsin, you're not allowed to pay for drinks. Ever. PM me to redeem this offer.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Brown Moses posted:

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh :smith:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I think it's time to promote yourself and train someone to watch video for info and you help tie it all together or something like that. Or a long vacation every year.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Brown Moses posted:

aw man :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

whats for dinner posted:

Those recreations are pretty loving cool, though. I'd love to see more interesting details on how you put it all together if you feel like posting more about it.

Generally with Syria it's the same process for every incident.

In opposition held areas you only get a small number of social media accounts, usually associated with organisations, activists, armed groups, and media centres, so the first thing to do is find and review those for material relevant to the incident. I have these collected already, but if you didn't you can find a lot of them by finding a video or post related to the attack, copy the Arabic text, and paste it into Google Translate where you can highlight keywords you can copy back into search engines, which will lead to results including the social media pages.

We'll also reach out to organisations who are sharing materials, plus activists and groups we have relationships with that are working on the ground, to see if there's any unpublished material. With M2 hospital we had lots of photographs sent to us by SAMS-USA of various attacks on the hospital, which proved very useful.

Then we organise the material by date, and try to establish where it was recorded. So with M2 we had lots of images which claimed to be from inside the hospital, but the question was how we could confirm it was definitely M2, and not another hospital. I did that by finding exterior photographs we could match to satellite imagery of the area, then found video that showed movement from inside the hospital out to the exterior, where we could match it to the images we had found on satellite imagery. Here's the sheet I put together for M2 linking all the videos together.

Then we review all the witness statements and other stuff said in videos, compare them to reports, and try to document the visible injuries and deaths in each video, to get the best picture possible of what happened. We'll also archive all the evidence we find to ensure it's not lost if accounts are closed, etc. I'm actually working with some international organisations to answer the question of how can we archive this material in a forensically sound way so it can be used in future prosecutions. It's actually a pretty interesting period in that regard, there's a lot of international judicial and accountability organisations who want to use this sort of material in prosecutions, but very little legal precedent for it's use in international courts, especially in war crime prosecutions, we're trying to make sure the preservation of material is done in the best way possible, and the analysis methodologies are tested thoroughly before they're used in a court, because if the first attempt is a gently caress up it'll impact the use of this sort of material in the future. In the recent past it was assumed it would be possible and preferable to get the original media used to record the images out of the countries effected, but it's become clear it's often impossible, so the use of content shared on social media has become increasingly important.

Anyway, as this is the picture and video thread, here's a video of the latest chemical weapon used in Syria, an IRAM fitted with a gas cylinder filled with chlorine gas, used on Jan 30th, and likely other dates since then as well. More details here.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HXZjvHxdJE