Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Lost our first, and thus only, playoff game 1-0. Was actually a really good, fast-paced game. I had like 4 shots on goal and a couple other chances and did everything but put one in the drat net. Only goal came from a shot from the blue line that I guess the goalie wasn't expecting or something cause she was not set up at all and more or less standing up.

I was good for two periods but was completely gassed in the third and falling all over the place since I'd get the puck, try to accelerate, and my legs just turned to jelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I lost 4-3 tonight in net but I looked at the score sheet after the game and apparently I faced 49 shots. Guess that explains why I was gave out after the game. Sucks that we lost but I'll take that score over the 9-0 shellacking we got last week.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We played the worst team last night, it seems like their goalie has been taking lessons because she had a bunch of great saves till the 3rd. I had one shot go off a dudes helmet because he fell as I was releasing it. Feel bad about it because I got a good piece of it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Ugghh hockey is so much fun. All I can think about is the chances I had last night and how I want to play again right this second.

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

z0331 posted:

Ugghh hockey is so much fun. All I can think about is the chances I had last night and how I want to play again right this second.

Greatest game there is.

Our last season game came and our captain realized one of our best grinder-types has been off the scoresheet all season long; no points, nothing. It's actually rather bizarre seeing how he's capable of being a PPG player. Captain swaps him onto the LW of our line. Our first shift we have enormous pressure. Grindy LW guy drops the puck to me as we rush the blue-line and he goes for the goalie screen. I rip a full-power, oh-god-I-actually-got-a-hold-of-this-one wrist shot straight into his rear end-cheek instead of on net.

I need to work on my accuracy.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In I don't know how many beer league games for the first time last night I saw someone lose some teeth. ouch.....

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

bewbies posted:

In I don't know how many beer league games for the first time last night I saw someone lose some teeth. ouch.....

How is that even possible? Do they not wear cages?

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

z0331 posted:

I play hockey three times a week and I'd say it's a good 50/50 split between cages and "other". Meaning visors, nothing, fishbowls, etc. I see someone lose a tooth on average once every year or two.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got complimented on my soccer skills playing the puck with my feet last night.

Too bad it's hockey I'm trying to get good at.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Had a really fun game last night, down 1-0 till late in the 3rd.

Made this save

and shortly after came back to win 2-1

(whole game here) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF1CVbtPGa0

Any Minnesota folks in the thread heading to the Robin tournament in Rochester?

titanium fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 13, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Those are sweet pads. Nice save too.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My game got snowed out last night after not having a game last week thanks to the Patriots game. I've become so desperate for ice time that I signed up to drive through snowy Boston tonight for a 9:30 game in Sommerville. Hockey is a dangerous addiction.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

z0331 posted:

Only guy I ever knew that lost a tooth wore a cage. Someone punched him with a stick in their hand in the parking lot after the game

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Saw a dude need to get 7 stitches entirely too close to his eye. Scary stuff.

Also, goalies vacate

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sellouts posted:

Also, goalies vacate

Cannot comply.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goalies are just mad that their thread is dead and are desperate for attention.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
actually the guy who lost the teeth was wearing a cage. rough night

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

xzzy posted:

Goalies are just mad that their thread is dead and are desperate for attention.

Hey, there's plenty to learn from each other. (also what you said minus the attention part).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fine, tell me how to deke you so hard you regret every decision you've made in life up to that point.

edit - also please play goalie for me because we don't have a team without you

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

titanium posted:

Had a really fun game last night, down 1-0 till late in the 3rd.

Made this save

:golfclap: that's a nice kick save - also seeing how you hop back up to your feet directly after the save makes me realize
  • yeah, no - I'm never ever trying goalie
  • my 40 year old knees would just laugh at me trying to do that.

z0331 posted:

I haven't been able to play/skate in a little over 4 works and I'm starting to insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaneeeeee. Fortunately I can still head down into the basement to shoot pucks and work on somethings but goddamn this sucks.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

prom candy posted:

Skating backwards is super fun, I love transitioning to backwards to open up for a pass and then turning around and going, makes me feel like a real hockey player even if I am doing it at 10% speed. I still can't get myself to use backwards crossovers in a game situation.

Theres very few situations where backwards crossovers are appropriate other then building speed to match the forward.

If you cross over when a decent player is bearing down on you hes going to just cross you up and make you look silly.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It seems like you want to throw in a couple crossovers when you transition or pivot, no? I always see guys make that great move where they'll speed down in one direction and then pivot and pick up speed with backwards crossovers.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

prom candy posted:

It seems like you want to throw in a couple crossovers when you transition or pivot, no? I always see guys make that great move where they'll speed down in one direction and then pivot and pick up speed with backwards crossovers.

If you're moving across the ice sure, its a good way to move diagonally. I'm trying to think what I would do, maybe one crossover before pivoting to forward skating, I think its somewhat of a rare situation where you need to move more then a few feet in either direction while going backwards. I'll try and pay attention how much I end up crossing over in my game tomorrow and report back.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I'm a hockey ref, ask me anything

Also, backwards crossovers are really important for lateral positioning and acceleration, and they are fun to do, but you have more speed and reaction ability out of the backwards stride.

https://www.hockeyshot.ca/v/hyperlinks/bebetterdefensiveskater.pdf

The music is dumb as poo poo but here's some examples of NHL guys doing crossovers in game situations that might spur some ideas:

https://youtu.be/hmetMpeYsZM

E: OP, might want to consider updating? Graf and Easton skates don't exist any more, CCM is now very good as they poached Bauer's head skate designer a year or two ago and there are some other tips from the OP that have become a bit stale as well.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 14, 2017

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah it's the move where they're using them to get in better position quickly while staying open towards the play / ready to receive a pass that I want to be able to do.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Also, backwards crossovers are really important for lateral positioning and acceleration, and they are fun to do, but you have more speed and reaction ability out of the backwards stride.

https://www.hockeyshot.ca/v/hyperlinks/bebetterdefensiveskater.pdf

The music is dumb as poo poo but here's some examples of NHL guys doing crossovers in game situations that might spur some ideas:

https://youtu.be/hmetMpeYsZM

E: OP, might want to consider updating? Graf and Easton skates don't exist any more, CCM is now very good as they poached Bauer's head skate designer a year or two ago and there are some other tips from the OP that have become a bit stale as well.

Is puck over glass by a goalie delay of game in USA hockey? Had that called tonight and the other team was super pissed, I was thinking they were right but in the back of my head was maybe remembering it was ok for skaters but a penalty for the goalie or something.

Unrelated: anyone know if I can buy some of the stretch gusset material for hockey pants somewhere? I would like to maybe repair the giant hole the rear of the pants has developed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No one gives a poo poo about the op, it's the same 25 of us posting in here and the new guys have specific questions anyways and it's fun to help them out.

Also plenty of Graf and Easton skates on eBay and at LHSs. Still relevant as much as any op could be.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I scored the most D league goal tonight. Got the puck, put it on my back hand to get by the first defender, switched to forehand to get by the second one, so I was feeling pretty smug. Then I rushed the net and launched a shot as hard as I could but it sailed wide of the net, bounced off the boards and I got the rebound just as I got about even with the side of the net and awkwardly chipped it in. It felt like the kind of goal that would be pretty cool if I did it on purpose, but was obviously just me recovering from a major gently caress up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

Is puck over glass by a goalie delay of game in USA hockey? Had that called tonight and the other team was super pissed, I was thinking they were right but in the back of my head was maybe remembering it was ok for skaters but a penalty for the goalie or something.

610.d says yes

http://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084654-rule-610-delaying-the-game

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

prom candy posted:

Yeah it's the move where they're using them to get in better position quickly while staying open towards the play / ready to receive a pass that I want to be able to do.

Yep, I love doing that, I played d for 15 years but only ref now.

Thufir posted:

Unrelated: anyone know if I can buy some of the stretch gusset material for hockey pants somewhere? I would like to maybe repair the giant hole the rear of the pants has developed.

It's at the referees discretion under CHA rules. Under USA Hockey rules, if any player or goalie is deemed to have shot the puck out deliberately then they CAN be assessed a minor. Goalie has a slightly higher standard in that if a goalie shoots the puck directly out (without hitting glass), they get a penalty, unless they shoot it at an area of the rink that doesn't have glass (say the bench). In Minor and Rec hockey this is usually not enforced aggressively unless a goalie is being an rear end.

The relevant rule is 610 c) and d). 610d) is the rule which governs a goalie shooting it out over the glass and is the rule which doesn't require a 'deliberate' shot out by a goalie.

quote:

(c) A minor penalty shall be assessed to any player or goalkeeper who delays the game by deliberately shooting or batting the puck outside the playing area, including after a stoppage of play.

(d) A minor penalty shall be assessed to a goalkeeper who shoots the puck directly (non-deflected) outside of the playing area, except when the puck inadvertently leaves the playing area in a location that is not protected by glass or screen.

On your pants question - just buy new pants, they're not that expensive and you won't save that much vs buying replacement material.

sellouts posted:

No one gives a poo poo about the op, it's the same 25 of us posting in here and the new guys have specific questions anyways and it's fun to help them out.

Also plenty of Graf and Easton skates on eBay and at LHSs. Still relevant as much as any op could be.

Fair enough :shrug:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

God you're annoyingly verbose

Welcome to the thread

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

sellouts posted:

God you're annoyingly verbose

Welcome to the thread

This is how refs are taught to process rule interpretations, sorry I guess

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't apologize, send him to the box for sassing you. If he keeps shouting toss him from the game.

You put on those stripes for a reason, remember. To make players fear you.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Do you call icing after 11pm?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The ref that called us pussies in the handshake line last week is getting a mandatory "vacation."

:lol:

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
One time a ref gave us a bench minor for "stealing his water bottle."

They have HD video of every game so that they can look into suspension type stuff and general player safety. They reviewed the footage and determined that he left one rink with the bottle, and skated onto our rink without it. So, he left it in the ref room and assumed we were messing with him.

I made that SOB write our entire team an apology letter. We refer to it as "water-bottle-gate."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How did you get a ref to write you an apology? That seems silly.

You should actually steal his bottle next time.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

shyduck posted:

Do you call icing after 11pm?

That's like asking if we backcheck after 11:00PM. Of course not.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

First goalies now refs!!!

I went to mid-Missouri drop-in on Saturday night and got to hear some opinions on refugees and Mexicans!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Pleads posted:

First goalies now refs!!!

I went to mid-Missouri drop-in on Saturday night and got to hear some opinions on refugees and Mexicans!!!

I'm sure that was scintillating locker room banter as your team captain was trying to draw up plays on his mini whiteboard.