Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I bet next season he'll have a strip of duct tape over his mouth. Hell if he really needs to talk have it be nonsense, like how to cook macaroni or reading the script of Macbeth or something. The same joke over and over got so dull I started skipping the power laps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Doesn't help power laps that the new track is utter pants and would be shameful if it was your late night "track" around your employer's light industrial park.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They really goofed with that stupid track they have.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With the amount of money they pissed away on stupid stunt bullshit and flying the studio around the world to show videos unrelated to that location, they probably could have secured consistent use of a real track.

Renting the nurburgring for their exclusive use for an hour a week would probably cost less than the opening sequence. James would love that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been going through some old episodes and while the American isn't particularly funny or the celebrity segments can be a bit ham handed, so far everything is still miles above the time in season 2 when they had a race between Darth Vader, Ming the Merciless, Doctor Who, a Cyberman, a Klingon and a Dalek.

The Dalek becomes enraged and kills everyone else after realizing he won't fit in the car.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
For me the show is

45% schadenfreude for miserable old British wealthy people and the rapport they have.

45% laughing at what these people find funny.

9% the cars

1% scripted material.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was surprised by that track. Why not find a place in the US? There have to be tons of good locations. Alternately, why not just use that track in Germany? Sure it will take 10 mins or so to do a lap and you'd have to edit but at least it would be consistent.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Why does it matter?

These are not scientific tests. It's just a bit to have some commentary on a shiny car going fast and to have something to argue about in the studio after it's done.

The 'track' is a prop, nothing more.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I kinda like the Eboladrome better because it's better defined than the old track. No matter how many times I saw the Stig or a celebrity go round the old track, I never really liked how much open tarmac there was to drive on; it just felt ambiguous as to where they were driving.

The only really important thing is that laps are consistent around the track so that the only thing changing is the car. Of course wet laps don't help, but there's only so much they can do with regards to when cars are available to test.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Shoren posted:

I kinda like the Eboladrome better because it's better defined than the old track. No matter how many times I saw the Stig or a celebrity go round the old track, I never really liked how much open tarmac there was to drive on; it just felt ambiguous as to where they were driving.

If you go on that track in the Forza or Gran Turismo versions that had it with the idiot line off it's almost impossible to follow unless you've done a few dozen laps on it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

If you go on that track in the Forza or Gran Turismo versions that had it with the idiot line off it's almost impossible to follow unless you've done a few dozen laps on it.

That's another thing that has painted my opinion on it. I first tried racing around it in GT5 and had no idea at all where to go. It served their purposes well in TG for going fast, blowing up caravans, and burning rubber in general, but I don't like it as a racing track the the laymen.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvR4tugRRQQ

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
Not exactly a revelation but holy hell this new series works so much better without Evans stinking the place up.
My erection still hasn't subsided from the Ferrari at the start either.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

inkjet_lakes posted:

Not exactly a revelation but holy hell this new series works so much better without Evans stinking the place up.
My erection still hasn't subsided from the Ferrari at the start either.
I genuinely enjoyed this episode. The new format, the return of the original track for SIRPC, the new car....

The challenge was fun too! Loved the end.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yep. Genuinely enjoyed that. It looks like they really listened to the criticisms of the last series.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Oh poo poo did tOP gEAR start again?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

hopterque posted:

Oh poo poo did tOP gEAR start again?

Yeah they aired the first episode tonight. I thought that was a really really good episode. I can't find much to complain about.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

keevo posted:

Yeah they aired the first episode tonight. I thought that was a really really good episode. I can't find much to complain about.

Yeah I'm halfway through, pretty drat good so far.

So nice to have actual banter and rudeness and poo poo talking and stuff back, you can really tell that Chris Evans was holding that poo poo back bigtime, everything they did last season felt so fake and forced and now I was actually laughing at stuff.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I like the new format of having the star come and sit with them but not be the center of attention too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I think I liked this episode of Top Gear more than most of the episodes of Grand Tour. It felt way less forced and much more natural. Owns we get two rad car shows to watch.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
:v: You know what I'm gonna do when I get home? Dig out my Hoff collection.

:stare: You should go to a doctor.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

KakerMix posted:

I think I liked this episode of Top Gear more than most of the episodes of Grand Tour. It felt way less forced and much more natural. Owns we get two rad car shows to watch.

Yup. I hope the rest of this series maintains a similar quality, then I can't wait for Grand Tour to up their game to match it. Competition leads to improvements.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I liked the Star Wars music. I guess only the BBC can do that. But two celebrity segments and no news?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fine return to form. The Baikonour film was great!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Definitely think they've figured the formula out now. This felt far more natural and cohesive than Grand Tour. Its three guys that are all excited to do a cool car show and it shows. Still not a fan of the celebrity segment but I think that'll always be there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Okay, Chris Harris hot lap instructor is a gimmick I will enjoy.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Has all the dead weight been cleared out? Sabine? Eddie Jordan?

I hope this second Top Gear season scares the hell out of the bad idea factory that was Grand Tour's first season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

smdh at no crown vic for the high mileage car.

But yeah, that was a really solid, really fun episode of car show. When the cab slipped off the blocks in Rory I just lost it. Same for anytime the hood flipped up on Harris. If they can make six more like that I'll be happy.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Has all the dead weight been cleared out? Sabine? Eddie Jordan?

I hope this second Top Gear season scares the hell out of the bad idea factory that was Grand Tour's first season.

I think Eddie shows up this season at some point. I think it is when they do King of Hammers. I think Sabine shows up in that one too.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Okay, Chris Harris hot lap instructor is a gimmick I will enjoy.

He really is the Stig without a helmet

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Last bit of dead weight to be shed is the "star".

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Huh, there was zero stig in this episode. Is that a common thing? Or does he usually have a part in every episode?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

stig was new top gear and new new top gear, this is new new new top gear.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

howe_sam posted:

But yeah, that was a really solid, really fun episode of car show. When the cab slipped off the blocks in Rory I just lost it. Same for anytime the hood flipped up on Harris. If they can make six more like that I'll be happy.

Yeah the cab running away from Rory was hilarious, he had the same idea for racking up miles I did too.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Powershift posted:

stig was new top gear and new new top gear, this is new new new top gear.
Since the weather was too poo poo to run a lap of the La Ferrari they couldn't justify the hassle of digging Stig out of storage and plugging him in to charge.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

howe_sam posted:

Those ain't things that exist in Euroland sadly! I'd love to see more US market poo poo on the show.

*also I really like they've got a RWD car for the 'slebs to drive around the original track.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 6, 2017

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I wonder if the power board is going to still be legal, road-going cars still. Because that FXXK will immediately be taken off since it can't go on the road.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
BBC America is running a bit behind in more ways than one...

:fry:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Surprisingly enjoyable. A solid start. Pretty much how the Top Gear remake should have started off.