Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
how weak do you have to be to get killed by water anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

qkkl posted:

So hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated. Does this mean that over a hundred thousand people would have died if they didn't evacuate and the dam broke? Seems like dams would be an ideal target for a terrorist attack if that were the case.

After 9/11 they massively restricted access to a lot of dams. You used to be able to see a lot of coll stuff in the Hoover Dam and it's all off limits now.

The Kensico dam in NYC used to have a road over the top and it was closed for 8 years and then restricted to bicycle and foot traffic only.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Psycho Society posted:

imo the best plan right now is to fix the main spillway while water ingress is low with an rear end-ton of concrete. Turn that poo poo up to 11 to protect the top 30 feet of the emergency letoff from crumbling and smashing the town.

I don't know if they've got enough time for that. They essentially have two days to do this, in pretty bad ground conditions. I don't even know if the concrete they'd need would set in that time frame, let alone be solid enough to hold together (IANA civil engineer).

There's a real issue of these spillways being undermined and that hasn't gone away even though the water isn't going over them in massive quantities anymore.

They've gone from "It could go at any minute!" last night to "It could go really soon!" today. It'll probably be months before the spillways are actually safe again, though if they don't get hit by more rain after the next set of storms coming through then I'd expect them to be able to keep the level low enough until it's fixed that a failure won't be an immediate problem.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

qkkl posted:

So hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated. Does this mean that over a hundred thousand people would have died if they didn't evacuate and the dam broke? Seems like dams would be an ideal target for a terrorist attack if that were the case.

Uh, President Trump??!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

qkkl posted:

A lot of people were poo poo scared that when ISIS took Mosul drat they were going to just blow it up. They fortunately end up not doing that, but as it was just upstream from Mosul and a bunch of there smaller towns.... that would of been pretty horrific.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know if they've got enough time for that. They essentially have two days to do this, in pretty bad ground conditions. I don't even know if the concrete they'd need would set in that time frame, let alone be solid enough to hold together (IANA civil engineer).

IAA civil engineer who works on dams and you couldn't place the necessary amount of concrete fast enough to make a difference, even if there was already a passable road leading directly to the hole. Dropping in sacks of rock via helicopter is pretty much the best option here.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

It's things like this that remind me we spent $1.7 trillion in Iraq, plus ongoing veteran benefits, with nothing to show for it. Maybe history will eventually regard that conflict on the same level as the Pyrrhic War or the Battle of Bouvines, but for now it seems to have gone down the same memory hole as the rest of the Bush years.

We currently spend more money on military than all other nations on earth combined, and by a large margin. We put trillions into an airplane that cannot fly effectively and will likely never be used in actual combat. We have no enemies capable of being a significant threat the the states, and those who are capable have no reason to ever go to war with the USA.

The USA is exceedingly capable of funding social healthcare, infrastructure, cleaner energy, better education, and much more. The US is able to fund these things better than any other nation on Earth, but it doesn't and it never will.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
the warmth of life has entered my tomb. Prepare yourself mortal, to serve my master for eternity

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
water they going to do if the dam breaks

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Why haven't we made a giant sponge that can be helicoptered in to suck up flood waters?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CharlestonJew posted:

water they going to do if the dam breaks

It's all good. Fema has a poo poo load of those yellow plastic 'caution wet' signs just for this situation.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I like the rocks idea

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

a bone to pick posted:

Why haven't we made a giant sponge that can be helicoptered in to suck up flood waters?

just buy out a warehouse full of shamwows, bam problem solved.

Please make the check out to "cash", thank you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Where are they gonna wring em out into after, huh, smart guy?

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Give everyone a grave liner / fema death coffin and they can all have little boats or a nice final resting place boom two in one

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

CJacobs posted:

we still do that waterboarding thing right?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

CharlestonJew posted:

just buy out a warehouse full of shamwows, bam problem solved.

Please make the check out to "cash", thank you

Can I date it for next Tuesday tho?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Perhaps you've heard of this giant area called "outer space"?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Fall in to the ocean damnit

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

withak posted:

Once the reservoir is full and the emergency spillway is running then the dam has is zero flood control capability because water will flow out as fast as it is flowing in.

They are actually releasing a lot faster than water is flowing in right now, intentionally flooding to free up more space in the reservoir for when it rains again later this week.

as i understood it they were not running the main spillway as hard as they could because it was damaged and causing erosion, so they let the emergency spillway take some of the pressure off... until that one started eroding even worse, so then they opened up the main spillway even more. now the water level is below the emergency spill lip but the main spillway is turbo hosed. but they're still largely in control of water release

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dr_rat posted:

A lot of people were poo poo scared that when ISIS took Mosul drat they were going to just blow it up. They fortunately end up not doing that, but as it was just upstream from Mosul and a bunch of there smaller towns.... that would of been pretty horrific.

mosul dam is also in constant danger of collapse because the geography in the area is not suited for dams and they have to pump shitloads of grout into the ground beneath the dam, constantly, using old beat up pumps

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/01/02/a-bigger-problem-than-isis

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
dams were a mistake

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Even so, war ravaged Iraq is still able to maintain their dams better than norcal bumpkins. lmao

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Psycho Society posted:

Even so, war ravaged Iraq is still able to maintain their dams better than norcal bumpkins. lmao

even when the iraqi government was in control of mosul dam they basically had to send the electricity it generated to mosul, where it was distributed by ISIS and generated revenue for them

the government couldn't turn off the flow of energy to mosul without also depowering the pumps that keep the dam from collapsing

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

as i understood it they were not running the main spillway as hard as they could because it was damaged and causing erosion, so they let the emergency spillway take some of the pressure off... until that one started eroding even worse, so then they opened up the main spillway even more. now the water level is below the emergency spill lip but the main spillway is turbo hosed. but they're still largely in control of water release

When the water is below the emergency spillway then they are in control of the release because they can open/close the main spillway gates. Once the water is running over the emergency spillway then they lose some control because they can't release any slower than the inflow rate. They can still release faster (and were doing so) by using the main spillway at the same time as the emergency spillway. It appears that they were opting to increase damage to the main spillway to try to preserve the emergency spillway for longer.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty cool how the infrastructure nationwide is literally crumbling but lol nothing is gonna get done about it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
What's the main drawback of using the primary spillway? How much erosion would it it take it compromise the integrity of the dam proper? It definitely seems like the best idea given any use of the emergency spillway could result in 30 feet of lake oroville to come pouring out with a vengeance

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

It's pretty cool how the infrastructure nationwide is literally crumbling but lol nothing is gonna get done about it.

Donald wants to rebuild it but protesters keep blocking him

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Donald wants to rebuild it but protesters keep blocking him

But his proposed infrastructure plan is a joke. CA gets a single desalination plant and that's it. I'm sure it is just as lol for the rest of the states.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Psycho Society posted:

What's the main drawback of using the primary spillway?

it's broken and spewing chunks of concrete and other bullshit everywhere. basically they were like "ok well this sucks, our main spillway is all hosed up and it's gonna be expensive to fix if we keep letting this much water out, so let's give the emergency spillway a try *the emergency spillway is even worse* ok ok bad idea i guess we're just gonna have to do the expensive thing"

Psycho Society posted:

How much erosion would it it take it compromise the integrity of the dam proper?

way more than is possible rn, the dam is a separate structure. the problem is that the local government cheaped out on making the emergency spillway robust enough to handle this job without falling apart, but there's no way to prove that it's not capable of doing the job until you have to use it and it almost fails and you end up evacuating hundreds of thousands of people in the middle of the night

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 13, 2017

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Moridin920 posted:

Curse this puny lifespan. I seriously hope I die with unfinished business so I can continue witnessing Earth as a 21st Century Ghost

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Romans made concrete that could last 2000 years while underwater meanwhile these chucklefucks can't make a road that doesn't dissolve in a heavy rain. Sad!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
If the damaged main spillway is no danger of undermining the dam, we'll just use that then. We haven't had to use the emergency spillway in a hundred years so careful management of water levels *should* give us time to fix everything we need. As long as it doesn't rain too much.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Toadvine posted:

Curse this puny lifespan. I seriously hope I die with unfinished business so I can continue witnessing Earth as a 21st Century Ghost

Perhaps the singularity will arrive and your glorious cyberspace form can laugh at the suffering of meatspace.

Until the dam that supplies power for your system collapses, of course.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Psycho Society posted:

What's the main drawback of using the primary spillway? How much erosion would it it take it compromise the integrity of the dam proper? It definitely seems like the best idea given any use of the emergency spillway could result in 30 feet of lake oroville to come pouring out with a vengeance

The dam proper is in virtually no danger. All of this stuff is happening a fair distance from the dam on the opposite side of a bedrock hill.

Right now releasing through the primary spillway (the concrete one) is the least risky because the damage there is unlikely to cause uncontrolled release of the reservoir. The erosion there has made a big, ugly, expensive-to-fix hole but it is likely down to bedrock now and will erode at a much slower rate going forward. It is likely that they will continue to use it as much as possible in advance of the rain later this week to get as much water out as possible and minimize the need for the emergency spillway later.

The emergency spillway is riskier because the erosion of the soil at the top of the hill could cause the weir at the top to fail and and create a deeper notch in the hillside, which would result in very severe flooding (but still not total loss of the reservoir).

withak fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 13, 2017

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Ein cooler Typ posted:

how weak do you have to be to get killed by water anyway

If there is an enraged chimp that is swept away by the incoming rush of water will it be knocked unconscious?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

E- Better view, from yesterday afternoon. Guessing it is a lot worse today

https://twitter.com/CA_DWR/status/830669789349584897

And holy gently caress, like everything on twitter is "this is what you get for helping immigrants!"

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 13, 2017

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blame the JewsMexicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

jamal posted:

Here's how the main spillway is looking

And holy gently caress, like everything on twitter is "this is what you get for helping immigrants!"

conservatives are not people

• Locked thread