Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Olpainless posted:

Grind, grind, and grind again.

And I've unlocked almost everything bar a couple of items from Supply Drop that require killing certain enemies a lot of times, with a 51/51 achievement count.

Yeah, I decided to actually focus on grinding the hunt items and it's not that bad if you're committed to it. For something like Shelletons it would take a really long time if you're just playing normally. You probably won't always make it to the fourth floor, and if you do it will only get you one or two per run since you won't be cheesing the summoners for more. When you start taking the shortcut down and looking for them specifically it doesn't take all that long. Shroomers weren't hard to finish off either once I started hunting them on the fifth floor instead of going to the Oubliette.

Only ones left to do are the weapons for hunting the Kill Pillars and Dragun, but I figure I'll just get those through normal play since I don't want to bother with hunting them.

Haven't found the Makeshift Cannon in a chest yet but the Shellegun was kind of a letdown really. I was expecting something really powerful but instead it's just a decent weapon with a somewhat inconvenient transformation aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Good grief, you can avoid being petrified by Meduzi by simply looking away when she uses the gaze attack. That's cute.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I guess my prediction of two videos a week was a bit optimistic, but y'know, I've had a lot of things go on since I started the thread. Anyway! New run! This time I recorded everything!

The Spicy Run/Polsy

Who's next to ENTER THE GUNGEON?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Ach, you passed up the Monster Blood. Giant pool of poison creep comes out of you on hit, you become immune to poison, AND you get an extra heart. What's not to love?

Plague Pistol is not super awesome but it shoots fast and can do a surprising amount of extra damage through poison despite its low base; that said it's not nearly as great as other stuff you could buy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna disagree here and say that the Plague Pistol is hot goddamn garbage on every level.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
You gotta buy out the lovely weapons to unlock the good weapons anyway so it doesn't really matter. There's no strategy for buying items, to speak of. Just buy the good stuff first, then the crummy stuff like plague pistol and Casey.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Skippy Granola posted:

You gotta buy out the lovely weapons to unlock the good weapons anyway so it doesn't really matter. There's no strategy for buying items, to speak of. Just buy the good stuff first, then the crummy stuff like plague pistol and Casey.

Hey, HEY. Don't you go badmouthing Casey. That bat is incredible if you know how to use it. It does absolutely insane damage if you close to melee range and swing away. Plus it launches the enemy into other enemies and damages them considerably too. The fact you can deflect shots with it helps you close in to melee range in the first place. Given it is a "single shot" weapon, I imagine with the alpha and omega bullets, it becomes a destroyer of worlds.

I basically always buy it if I see it in the shop and if a character had it as their side-arm, I'd play them almost exclusively.

Edit: That sort of power alongside infinite ammo makes it fairly unique, at least from what I've seen so far.

Edit 2: Here's a challenge run for Scruffy that I would love to see: Reset until you get Casey in the first floor shop. Buy it and then complete a full run using only the bat. Given it does not have ammo and there's nothing you absolutely could not kill with it (though there are certainly varying degrees of difficulty in that endeavor), I think it'd make for a pretty interesting scenario.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 12, 2017

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Obligatum VII posted:

Hey, HEY. Don't you go badmouthing Casey. That bat is incredible if you know how to use it. It does absolutely insane damage if you close to melee range and swing away. Plus it launches the enemy into other enemies and damages them considerably too. The fact you can deflect shots with it helps you close in to melee range in the first place. Given it is a "single shot" weapon, I imagine with the alpha and omega bullets, it becomes a destroyer of worlds.

I basically always buy it if I see it in the shop and if a character had it as their side-arm, I'd play them almost exclusively.

To give an idea, it kills Gun Nuts in a single hit, and can kill another Gun Nut with it's buddy's corpse. In fact, I think it takes until the third floor until you ever see stuff it doesn't reliably kill in one swing. Casey is absolutely bonkers if you play ballsy with it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Obligatum VII posted:

Edit 2: Here's a challenge run for Scruffy that I would love to see: Reset until you get Casey in the first floor shop. Buy it and then complete a full run using only the bat. Given it does not have ammo and there's nothing you absolutely could not kill with it (though there are certainly varying degrees of difficulty in that endeavor), I think it'd make for a pretty interesting scenario.

I had a pretty hot run with Cog of Battle using Casey, managed to get to Lich phase 2 largely using only it for floor clearing and some for boss fighting. That thing is a monster, I almost got the Dragun's heart in one cycle with it.

Skippy is wrong and Casey is amazing.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Hey Scruffy, I have a tactical question for you. When you were fighting Blobulon with the SAA in that run, you were aiming directly at him. The wiki says that the SAA does something like double damage if you bank the shots rather than shooting directly at the target. Was there a reason you weren't going for that?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Yeah yeah I'll believe it when I see it.

I fuckin hate that bat

Edit: I should say, I always end up getting hit way too much for not a whole lot of benefit when I use it. But still :colbert:

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Listening to the noises you make trying to avoid all the flak coming at you at once never gets old.

Rabidredneck fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 13, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Finally managed it, with one last past to unlock, I got all 5 Master Rounds. Sweet release.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Two ammolets and the Elder Blank. I'm not surprised you blank-nuked the Kill Pillars. Just a shame you have yet to grab that fourth Master Round.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Winners do drugs.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Casey is the best thing added to the game in the Supply Drop update. I just finished a run where I got so much curse the Lord of the Jammed showed up, and was still destroying entire rooms full of jammed enemies with that bat down on the fifth floor. Had bonus damage from Stout Bullets, and could one-shot a jammed Spectral Gun Nut with it. It's an absolute beast of a weapon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I found that Brown Chest weapons aren't actually that bad so long as you just immediately switch to them and use them to clear the first couple of floors. Some are good and can and last into later ones.

There are pure garbage weapons however- as amusing as the lower-case r is I think it's probably the shittiest drop you can get.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 13, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I looked up spice, and after the third use, the only benefit is increased damage, while still decreasing health and increasing curse. Interestingly enough, the other secret character apparently doesn't get affected health wise by spice. Seems like that might be a fun way to do the 10+ Curse Challenge...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Spice is good.

Here's what you get when you eat Spice six times:

The bad:
-2 health (the buffs should be more than enough to get you some master rounds in return)
+5.5 curse (tame, unless you steal or go hard on the curse shop)

The good:
+20% movement speed
+20% faster firing speed
+15% slower enemy bullets
+82.5% damage

That's some good poo poo in return for just two health. And if you stop at four Spices, you'll have no health penalty, only +38% damage, but an additional +17.5% accuracy, too!

Use Spice more often.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, in one of my earliest successful runs I basically found every extra health item in the game as well as Spice and abused the hell out of it. Even garbage guns become decent room clearers when you're doing near double damage.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The moral is drugs are good and you should take more of them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Regarding the Flame Hand, as far as I can tell, the item description isn't just for flavour. It literally does roll for a random amount of damage on each hit. That makes it a bit inconsistent to use, but it's still a fairly decent weapon.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, before it was reworked the flavor text was just flavor (I believe). Now it does approximately 2d6 * 1.3846 + 2 damage each shot.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
So, what was this log thing that you left behind after you destroyed the Mimic?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It's a decoy; an active use item that will setup a wooden decoy to draw enemy attention or it can also let you steal from the store. It's kinda poo poo.

Also it's kind of a bummer that after defeating the Lich and maybe using the evil gun muncher, there's never much of a reason to go back to Bullet Hell. It doesn't seem to have the same 'do X number of times' achievement to unlock something and it's mostly just a slog.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Spice has four different possible effects, depending on which dose you're taking, but while the first three times you take Spice it increases the likelihood of Spice replacing a random item, it doesn't continue to go up past that and the fourth and subsequent uses of Spice all do the same thing (-1 Max HP, +15% damage, +10% Shot Spread, and +1 curse).

The first three uses, in contrast, are much more beneficial.
1 Spice: +20% move speed, -25% shot spread, 0.5 curse, +1 Max HP
2 Spice: -10% Enemy Bullet Speed, +20% firing speed, 1 curse, +1 Max HP
3 Spice: +20% Damage, -5% Enemy Bullet Speed, 1 curse, -1 Max HP

Spice is extremely powerful, but 2-3 Spice is definitely the "sweet spot". While pumping your damage up 15% per heart container may seem like an okay trade off to start, it's counterbalanced by an increase in Jammed enemies.

discworld is all I read posted:

Also it's kind of a bummer that after defeating the Lich and maybe using the evil gun muncher, there's never much of a reason to go back to Bullet Hell. It doesn't seem to have the same 'do X number of times' achievement to unlock something and it's mostly just a slog.

You could say the same thing about the individual Gungeoneer's Pasts, though. While Bullet Hell and the Lich are extremely intimidating the first few times you get down there, generally speaking, if I've got a reliable and efficient room clearer like the Mega Hand or its big sister, Bullet Hell is generally worth the attempt as a kind of victory lap. If I'm short on ammo and I think I'd be reduced to relying on bad guns or my starter pistol just to clear rooms, I'll do the Past instead. Sure, you don't "get" anything out of doing it after the first time, but it's fun so long as the floor isn't a slog in the process. And it's not like you lose anything by dying.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Still, they could at least give you some credits for killing the Lich again. But you're right, it's not like you get anything from doing the Pasts again.

VVVVV
yeah, I meant more that the base purpose of the decoy is worthless. Not so much that stealing from the stores is bad; though it's a bit annoying if you leave behind a decoy in a store and are just trying to purchase something cause then it ends up just triggering the steal and locking out the store.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 13, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Stealing from the store isn't poo poo per se (One item you only have to pay one curse for and don't lose anything else over) but yeah that's all it and the explosive decoy are really good for. Hypothetically the grappling hook is more useful but in practice it's not even good at stealing since unlike the decoy, box, and other items you're guaranteed to get caught outside rumored shenanigans.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Also it's worth stealing when you can, even if only to unlock the item you get from stealing enough things.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
If you're playing Co-op, and both players have the Proton Backback, what happens when the streams cross?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

As far as I'm aware you can't get the same gun multiple times on a run, even in co-op.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
That was a hell of a run, Scruffy. Can't wait for the next one.

...I really should not be surprised there's a proton pack in this game. Yet, here I am.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
The spice must flow, always eat more spice.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I just heard Scruffy say 'Yaaaaas' FLASH ahh ahhh 'poo poo never end' and 'sassy'. This was a good day.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Hm. Can Lich be jammed?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Olesh posted:

While Bullet Hell and the Lich are extremely intimidating the first few times you get down there, generally speaking, if I've got a reliable and efficient room clearer like the Mega Hand or its big sister, Bullet Hell is generally worth the attempt as a kind of victory lap. If I'm short on ammo and I think I'd be reduced to relying on bad guns or my starter pistol just to clear rooms, I'll do the Past instead. Sure, you don't "get" anything out of doing it after the first time, but it's fun so long as the floor isn't a slog in the process. And it's not like you lose anything by dying.

I do Bullet Hell just for enemies for hunting quest, because there is ton of pretty much everything :v:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

NHO posted:

Hm. Can Lich be jammed?

Yes, although it might be a separate chance for each form - when I experienced it, I had a normal first form and a Jammed second form. I, uh, didn't survive to the third form - it was only my second time ever reaching the Lich - so I have no idea whether the third form was Jammed or not.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Idea for a multi-run challenge:
Draft mode:
Start with any character and run normally. After that, each subsequent character is not allowed to use an item picked up by a previous character.

EDIT: At a guess, the Flame Hand literally does random damage based on a 2d6 - or 2-12, weighted toward 7.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 13, 2017

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

MaskedHuzzah posted:

EDIT: At a guess, the Flame Hand literally does random damage based on a 2d6 - or 2-12, weighted toward 7.

If that's the case I wonder if curse and coolness would affect the rolls.

As far as runs I'd like to see, I'd really enjoy seeing a floor 1 cigarette/coolness run with hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
So the poo enemies now seem to drop corn? That pops when you shoot it?

Does it do anything else? I didn't notice that before.

• Locked thread