Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

It's also very hard to inspect what you can't see. If there were no stress fractures or anything to indicate that the foundation of the spillway has been compromised, there's not much you can do about it.

I am all for being proven wrong by people that know more than me though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The concrete spillway had repairs performed on it in 2013 and at that time they state that they did not see anything else amiss.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/02/10/maintenance-records-show-oroville-dam-spillway-previously-patched/

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Decrepus posted:

The comments suggest that it is the liberals and their global warming agenda which distracted everyone from the possibility of this happening.

That's funny because state and fed officials were warned 12 years ago (when both the state and country had republican leaders) that the emergency spillway needed to be upgraded from plain dirt to concrete, but they ignored it. Guess who warned them? Some loving dumb idiot LIEberals.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is this not just a case of them trying to hold too much in the reservoir (because of decade long drought) and then being caught off guard by a snap rainy season? Or was the loss of the main spillway for a few days actually the critical part?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PittTheElder posted:

Is this not just a case of them trying to hold too much in the reservoir (because of decade long drought) and then being caught off guard by a snap rainy season? Or was the loss of the main spillway for a few days actually the critical part?

The loss of the main spillway was critical. It turns out to be a single point of failure because the emergency spillway is woefully inadequate (can’t withstand thirty hours of gentle use).

Getting caught off-guard has nothing to do with it.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Are dams ever anything other than a disaster waiting to happen? People seem to love building the things, but actually maintaining them? gently caress that noise. It's kind of like when you get a pet hamster as a kid and it ends up eating it's own feet from starvation once the novelty wears off.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

They were trying to spare the damage on the main spillway by using the emergency one, then that developed potential problems they weren't sure how to handle because they'd never used it before.

So now the main spillway and generators are going full blast to get the lake level down to where they're not using the emergency spillway any more. They'll do a damage assessment and repair as necessary and possible.

I think they've just accepted that the main spillway is going to be completely destroyed at this point. Once the rain is done they'll go to work rebuilding. For now they're surviving.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KM Scorchio posted:

when you get a pet hamster as a kid and it ends up eating it's own feet from starvation once the novelty wears off.

:catstare:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

As far as i can tell, that's how it started, but then the integrity of the emergency spillway (which is just plain dirt after the concrete wall part) became threatened when all the water flowing over it blasted away too much dirt around the concrete wall, and caused the concrete to start to crack apart in one spot. So now there's a damaged main spillway (not as huge of a problem considering where the damage is), and a damaged back up spillway (a very huge problem, because the damaged part includes a wall that's holding back part of the reservoir). And if the backup spillway completely fails, the top 30 feet or whatever of the reservoir's water supply is gonna go shooting down the valley.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

The reservoir holds what it holds, and the rest is supposed to be let out of the spillway so the dam doesn't overflow. This is a case of the water coming in too fast because of the heavy rains, and the spillway being damaged because of lack of maintenance and use over the last several years. If anything the problem is that they can't let the water out fast enough.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
This event is actually a really good case study of how global warming will manifest as more extreme local variability, and how said variability threatens the established infrastructure in novel ways, in addition to aggregate temperature and sea level rise. But let's just plug our ears and shut down the EPA and NOAA.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I feel evil for saying it, but I'd love to see that 30' of water get dumped.

It would suck for everyone in the way, but god drat would the video be amazing to watch.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sagebrush posted:

The reservoir holds what it holds, and the rest is supposed to be let out of the spillway so the dam doesn't overflow. This is a case of the water coming in too fast because of the heavy rains, and the spillway being damaged because of lack of maintenance and use over the last several years. If anything the problem is that they can't let the water out fast enough.

Its very much not a case of over use in recent years considering the historic drought CA has been in

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I said lack of maintenance and use, as in the spillway hasn't been maintained because it hasn't been in use. This is the first time the water has even reached the spillway since 2012 or something.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Decrepus posted:

The comments suggest that it is the liberals and their global warming agenda which distracted everyone from the possibility of this happening.

What was their reasoning for the fire in the Smokey Mountains?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

coupbrick posted:

What was their reasoning for the fire in the Smokey Mountains?

Literal smokescreen for a Jade-Helm type manuever.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, that law got passed becuase assholes kept flying drones near forest fires and after one sucked a drone into its engine, they've been forced to ground planes anytime drones are sighted in the area

That never happened. The majority of sightings near forest fires were totally uncorroborated, as are most aircraft "near misses" with drones.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“We should wait till someone actually dies before doing anything.”

—The OSHA thread

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What would you name the rule after then, hmm? Think of the historians.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

meanwhile, elsewhere :cripes:

edit:

https://twitter.com/RichGas69/status/831004504627613696

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 13, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

MF_James posted:

I feel evil for saying it, but I'd love to see that 30' of water get dumped.

It would suck for everyone in the way, but god drat would the video be amazing to watch.

I'd frame it as, I'd like to see this go full property damage disaster to force your dumb gently caress government to invest in infrastructure and fund regulatory bodies. with the tiny added bonus of cool, Real TV style footage

But, since you yanks keep electing republicans, the regulators gotta be cut to the bone and the infrastructure investments gotta takes the shape of a tax break for some unrelated businesses whose owners are buddies with this or that elected official.

Alternatively, rename the reservoir "dirty Mexicans" and the dam "the border" and run tv commercials on fox news saying that dirty Mexicans are spilling over the border into California America and get Donnie to fund a "wall" around the trouble areas.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Rah! posted:

That's funny because state and fed officials were warned 12 years ago (when both the state and country had republican leaders) that the emergency spillway needed to be upgraded from plain dirt to concrete, but they ignored it. Guess who warned them? Some loving dumb idiot LIEberals.

Is there no limit to how low the LIEberals will sink just to make Republicans look bad?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I would say this isn't an issue of conservatives vs liberals, conservatives were warned 12 years ago, how many liberals have been in office since then? They could have easily done something during the time they were in office.

The reality is, there's a "nothing has gone wrong, so let's assume things will be fine", so money gets funneled elsewhere no matter who is in office (someone's pocket)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sagebrush posted:

I said lack of maintenance and use, as in the spillway hasn't been maintained because it hasn't been in use. This is the first time the water has even reached the spillway since 2012 or something.

As I noted earlier, repairs were made on the spillway in 2013, so I don't think lack of maintenance is an actual reason here.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

MF_James posted:

It's also very hard to inspect what you can't see. If there were no stress fractures or anything to indicate that the foundation of the spillway has been compromised, there's not much you can do about it.

I am all for being proven wrong by people that know more than me though

You might trot out penetrating RADAR to look for voids (and core movement), but you would be unlikely to do that unless you suspected something was amiss. Usually, you'd use a theodolite to check the run of the spillway (as well as the dam crest, wall and toe) to look for movement as part of a regular inspection (note: not the sum total of the inspection), and leave it at that until fracturing/spalling was observed.

They missed an opportunity here to tell people that the saddle and emergency spillway was actually a fuse plug. A fuse plug is a part of a dam engineered to fail early to protect the main dam, typically (but not always) built into the crest of the spillway.

I'll be interested if the repairs effected in 2013 included stitching between the spillway walls and floor.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

IPCRESS posted:

You might trot out penetrating RADAR to look for voids (and core movement), but you would be unlikely to do that unless you suspected something was amiss. Usually, you'd use a theodolite to check the run of the spillway (as well as the dam crest, wall and toe) to look for movement as part of a regular inspection (note: not the sum total of the inspection), and leave it at that until fracturing/spalling was observed.

They missed an opportunity here to tell people that the saddle and emergency spillway was actually a fuse plug. A fuse plug is a part of a dam engineered to fail early to protect the main dam, typically (but not always) built into the crest of the spillway.

I'll be interested if the repairs effected in 2013 included stitching between the spillway walls and floor.

Yeah I figured GPR would be too much effort for them to expend. Also, depending on how thick the concrete is, you might not get anything useful from using GPR; I could be incorrect, but I believe it has a fairly limited distance (like 1.5m) through concrete.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

MF_James posted:

I would say this isn't an issue of conservatives vs liberals, conservatives were warned 12 years ago, how many liberals have been in office since then? They could have easily done something during the time they were in office.

The reality is, there's a "nothing has gone wrong, so let's assume things will be fine", so money gets funneled elsewhere no matter who is in office (someone's pocket)

The spillway was apparently reasonably well-inspected and had an unexpected failure.

The emergency spillway is the issue. Various groups requested that the emergency spillway be upgraded from dirt to concrete during the Bush and Schwarzenegger administrations. The improvements were turned down specifically because of cost.

Can you convince me that Obama/Brown also turned down similar requests? If you cannot, then the "both sides are bad" argument doesn't hold water. One side actively prevented a solution with lovely policy, the other you can maybe accuse of no being proactive enough in fixing republican mistakes and revisiting old issues.

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

If you cannot, then the "both sides are bad" argument doesn't hold water.

OOOOOOO SHIIIIIT

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Schwarzenegger administration

Still amazed this is a serious term.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a Stallone administration would never have let things get this bad

Who needs bitch helicopters to move some rocks around?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

chitoryu12 posted:

SO heres the funniest thing about the Governator. He's a republican because when he came to america in the 70s one of the first things he saw on TV was a speech by Nixon. That's why he's a republican, though he's pretty much a RINO at this point like so many others.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ramadu posted:

SO heres the funniest thing about the Governator. He's a republican because when he came to america in the 70s one of the first things he saw on TV was a speech by Nixon. That's why he's a republican, though he's pretty much a RINO at this point like so many others.

eh he buys into their economic policies but not to the extent that others do

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Nixon also created the EPA so he would be considered a god drat communist by today's standards.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nurse Fanny posted:

OOOOOOO SHIIIIIT

Brace yourself for a flood of puns.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Raskolnikov38 posted:

eh he buys into their economic policies but not to the extent that others do

I_hate_problems_but_love_their_causes.jpg

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/827169996866347008

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

The speed of this gif makes it seem like a gag in a silent movie. Just put it in sepia and add some lovely film effects

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHi3egU7Y_k&t=395s

Fun video in general, the machete and shovel near the industrial band saw caught my eye, with of course no real PPE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost