Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

BobbyK posted:

So is everything Artie says.

Oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Artie said in his podcast that he has an African American friend. So it's okay.

Her name is Charlize Theron.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

He's also a junkie and is most definitely high in that clip

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

He did tell a story I had never hear before...where his friend steals a canoe then goes back for the oars and gets caught.

Is that in the clip BobbyK posted? Or is that from another episode of his podcast

Banditoh
Aug 13, 2005

BobbyK posted:

Oh my god! You mean he's doing drugs?! I better get rid of all my miles Davis and John Coltrane and any other material made by artists or public figures who use drugs because...wait, why do you care?

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Banditoh posted:

Oh my god! You mean he's doing drugs?! I better get rid of all my miles Davis and John Coltrane and any other material made by artists or public figures who use drugs because...wait, why do you care?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE1m37uKV70&t=1s

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sand Monster posted:

Suppose someone were theoretically interested in listening to complete shows from 2001-2003, would you happen to know where said person might need to look?

I used to download complete shows from Usenet, but I haven't looked there in ages. :corsair:

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

BobbyK posted:

Hey, this post again

Anyway, this ties into my last post about Benjy. This is why I like him. No one on the staff would be caught dead tweeting this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Artie was momentarily on Wednesday's show

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Benjy might be on thin ice though. On Friday's wrap up show they said the show was working better with Benjy not in the studio and so they expect that he will never be invited back in. Given that he has supposedly gone a little extra crazy being stuck outside (a decision Howard left up to Marci), I'm willing to bet he will keep pushing his luck until they completely knock the odd out of him or fire him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Howard is trying to help benjy but his personality is decomposing. He's abusing alcohol or some other drug imho.

I don't imagine he will be around much longer

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
What does Benjy even do on the show now that's it's evolving? Still write one liners?

Looking forward to the 20 min. Artie + Benjy clip I'll listen to on youtube in a few months.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

BobbyK posted:

What does Benjy even do on the show now that's it's evolving? Still write one liners?

Looking forward to the 20 min. Artie + Benjy clip I'll listen to on youtube in a few months.

He is a writer.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Moniker posted:

He is a writer.

I've always wondered how that worked. Did Jackie and Benjy just write quick jokes then pass them off to Howard and Howard would work them into the conversation? Like that was their main job? Or did they actually write bits for the show Writing jokes on the spot for Howard seems like a pretty hard job.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Beth just posted an instagram photo of Howard reading the paper. Can you imagine living here?

Edit: Images are too large. I don't know how to resize them on here.
Edit: Figured it out

BobbyK posted:

I've always wondered how that worked. Did Jackie and Benjy just write quick jokes then pass them off to Howard and Howard would work them into the conversation? Like that was their main job? Or did they actually write bits for the show Writing jokes on the spot for Howard seems like a pretty hard job.

Their main job is joke writing for Howard (it's always obvious when he's reading a joke). But as far as I know, they all meet (including interns) and write bits.

Moniker fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 13, 2017

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Jackie did one liners that got passed to Howard during the show, he also helped with some of the planned bits they did. His title was head writer, which was funny because it was basically him and him alone.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 13, 2017

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Sitting through 20 minutes of Benjy and anything would be agony.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
All I can think of is Howard walking around wondering where his sun glasses are.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Agreed, Benjy is the worst. I wonder if his girlfriend will pull a Nancy and drop his rear end the second he leaves the show

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 13, 2017

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

haljordan posted:

Jackie did one liners that got passed to Howard during the show, he also helped with some of the planned bits they did. His title was head writer, which was funny because it was basically him and him alone.

Yeah listening back to old shows I guess it is pretty obvious when there's a lull in the conversation or Howard hasn't said anything for awhile and then out of no where he'll say a joke. It's weird, seems both challenging and easy. You're constantly thinking of jokes and doing it quick enough for them to be relevant but also the jokes are pretty stupid and simple.

What I'm saying is Jackie hosed up so bad.

If anyone one that staff is a comedic genius it's Fred though. I heard a show where Sal sat in on the soundboard and it was harrible.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Benjy might be the wild card who is crazy enough to dish the dirt on Howard. If he is fired (which I can't see happening unless he really badly screws up), then I can see him saying gently caress you to the NDA and spilling his guts on Artie's podcast or a similar show.

With that being said, I don't think I could listen to him on Artie's podcast. The two of them badly need a Stern figure to keep them in check. If it was Artie & Benjy alone, then it would be shtickoma vortex + wheezing and unfunny jokes that go on forever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What dirt would he spill. Show has been running fine .

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

haljordan posted:

Fred was also credited as a writer for the sake of TV, I believe. When that happened Jackie demanded head writer status.

Jackie's one-liners were infamous because he always laughed hardest at those. If you listen to old stuff and hear him cackle really hard after Howard tells a joke it was 99% written by Jackie himself.

In all fairness to Jackie he routinely wrote stuff that made fun of himself and Nancy, he was never Robin or Fred who couldn't take an inch of prodding before snapping back viciously. He was consistently hammered on the show and very often piled into himself to make it funnier.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

BobbyK posted:

Yeah listening back to old shows I guess it is pretty obvious when there's a lull in the conversation or Howard hasn't said anything for awhile and then out of no where he'll say a joke. It's weird, seems both challenging and easy. You're constantly thinking of jokes and doing it quick enough for them to be relevant but also the jokes are pretty stupid and simple.

What I'm saying is Jackie hosed up so bad.

If anyone one that staff is a comedic genius it's Fred though. I heard a show where Sal sat in on the soundboard and it was harrible.

Howard tried his best to tell Jackie that management had finally had enough and were 100% willing to let him walk, but Jackie didn't listen. He either thought they'd call him back in a week, panicked, and offer him double or he'd be busy with the hundreds of job offers he'd be getting (which never materialized). Jackie also never had an agent, which makes negotiations at that level tough. You need a buffer between yourself and the people you're negotiating with.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

euphronius posted:

What dirt would he spill. Show has been running fine .

Is this a real post? Literally anything we do not know (good or bad) is dirt.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

haljordan posted:

Howard tried his best to tell Jackie that management had finally had enough and were 100% willing to let him walk, but Jackie didn't listen. He either thought they'd call him back in a week, panicked, and offer him double or he'd be busy with the hundreds of job offers he'd be getting (which never materialized). Jackie also never had an agent, which makes negotiations at that level tough. You need a buffer between yourself and the people you're negotiating with.

Yeah I actually just listened to a show or segment where Tom and Howard talked about the Jackie negotiation. If you believe Jackie then the drinking/schedule played a huge part and I can I kind of buy that. I used to work a graveyard shift in college and that poo poo wrecks a normal social life. I can't imagine doing their schedule long term. On the other hand Jackie had a cush job and apparently made a great deal of money. It seems like self sabotage but maybe that's because he was just sick of the schedule. Same with Artie I guess.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Nah, Jackie used that poo poo about the schedule as an excuse when everything blew up in his face. He was always about the money. See: every lovely CD/cheap piece of crap toy he sold. Sure, he had to wake up early but he wasn't digging ditches. He was making crazy bank cracking dick jokes on the biggest radio show on the planet.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 14, 2017

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

So I am rewatching poo poo reminding me of high school and I rewatched Cruel Intentions from 1999. Rewatch it and see if you can spot a Stern related cameo. No be-googlin'.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Howard is incapable of building much muscle, especially at his age, so he needs to start eating double what he does. The guy really does look like an "ostrich in a wig" as Sal put it.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

an adult beverage posted:

Anybody watch Rick and Morty? I just started watching it and didn't realize Richard did some voices for the show. He does his flu voice as the voice of a monster. He also voices the monsters earlier in the episode and they are chanting "droppin' loads".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IbehXJi_HE

Thank you!

On the season 2 dvd, Sal and Richard do a commentary for an episode. It's kinda lame, but kinda funny because if someone watches it, and they don't listen to Howard, they'll have no idea why these two nobodies are talking about blowing each other, instead of the episode they're "commenting" on.

Johnny-on-the-Spot fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 14, 2017

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

an adult beverage posted:

Anybody watch Rick and Morty? I just started watching it and didn't realize Richard did some voices for the show. He does his flu voice as the voice of a monster. He also voices the monsters earlier in the episode and they are chanting "droppin' loads".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IbehXJi_HE

Thank you!

I'm not falling for this, that monster sounds an awful lot like the retarded flu...

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

GenoCanSing posted:

So I am rewatching poo poo reminding me of high school and I rewatched Cruel Intentions from 1999. Rewatch it and see if you can spot a Stern related cameo. No be-googlin'.

Fred is in it I believe. Door man or something like that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

thumper57 posted:

I'm not falling for this, that monster sounds an awful lot like the retarded flu...

The retarded flu also made an appearance in Metalocalypse.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Riley Martin appeared twice in season 3 of Squidbillies.

Oh wow, I just realized that Riley's parts are what ETM turned down because they were "too Satanic". It just now clicked for me. Riley does 2 episodes, in one he is Pestilence, one of the 4 Horsemen of the apocalypse but in the other he plays a bodyless voice that forces Dan Halen, a Trump-like figure in the show who has slight Satanic-type connections throughout the series (and especially this episode as he grows a horn and tail, leading you to think of some Faustian deal), to build a mountain monument you're led to believe will have sinister happenings but in reality turns out to just be a theme park attraction.

I'll bet you anything that is the role Eric turned down. It was "Satanic" only on the surface level but by the end of the episode the voice convinces the aforementioned character to build a theme park that doesn't attract people then tells him to turn it into a yogurt shop and finally to just write the whole thing as a tax writeoff. However, since Eric lacked any insight beyond the superficial plane he existed in he saw it as a real Satanic thing.

"Pile M for Murder" is the name of the episode. The one with him as Pestilence is named "Armageddon It On!" in case you guys wanted to find them. They alter his voice slightly but you can hear his cadence very clearly.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 14, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Crotch Bat posted:

Riley Martin appeared twice in season 3 of Squidbillies.

Uhhhh.... hmmmm?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I was walking to the train station this morning & passed some township guys cleaning up some fallen trees from those horrible hurricane winds we just got hit by in the NE yesterday. I was a bit past them and they were busting each others' balls over something and I hear one of them shout "I told you not to be stupid, ya moron!"

If I weren't so much further up the street from them I would've chimed in. That totally made my morning :)

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
http://pagesix.com/2017/02/14/friars-club-raided-by-fbi/?_ga=1.142370866.1446353253.1444698304

OPEN UP YOUR BOOKS!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

This is fuckin bizarre:

http://courthousenews.com/irs-in-hot-water-over-howard-stern-broadcast/

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Stern’s program draws approximately 1.2 million listeners to SiriusXM every day.

Thats the fake story Mike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Who do you guys think is the greatest success story of the wack pack?

For me it has to be the original Bigfoot. He had good memorable roles in Malcome in the Middle, Tim Burton's Big Fish, and Rob Zombies House of 1000 Corpes.