Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

I`m glad we agree and can play the official competitive format that the game is balanced around, doubles

such balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Improbable Lobster posted:

I`m glad we agree and can play the official competitive format that the game is balanced around, doubles

Balanced around the same 10 pokemon, yeah.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'm sorry that you're jealous of the better format.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
In all seriousness, Doubles really is the only format Game Freak is actually trying to balance for (Whether they're actually doing a good job of that or not is a different thing entirely). Singles is pretty much an afterthought, and it's pretty much becoming more obvious that a competitive version of that format is purely a Smogon invention since a lot of their clauses are starting to get more complex than they used to be (i.e. anything to do with Baton Pass.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i still don't understand why people bicker and argue about which formats or whatever are better when an outsider can look at them all and say 'they're all trash garbage where everyone plays the same poo poo no matter what'

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
i don't play pokemon to have fun i play it to look down on people who play it kind of differently

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dr. Fetus posted:

In all seriousness, Doubles really is the only format Game Freak is actually trying to balance for (Whether they're actually doing a good job of that or not is a different thing entirely). Singles is pretty much an afterthought, and it's pretty much becoming more obvious that a competitive version of that format is purely a Smogon invention since a lot of their clauses are starting to get more complex than they used to be (i.e. anything to do with Baton Pass.)

Oh no that I'll acknowledge and agree with, it's just for all the 'balancing' gamefreak tries to do around doubles it is still a broken nightmare of a format because these games are kind of busted down deep in their core.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The best competitive format is casual matches with friends.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

dont worry they gave volbeat like 10 more defense so it'll start showing up more often

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bongo Bill posted:

The best competitive format is casual matches with friends.

that and whichever format allows more Slowpokes

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I always wonder why they don't change the format of all the battles in the game to doubles like the Gamecube games were.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

I always wonder why they don't change the format of all the battles in the game to doubles like the Gamecube games were.

you would have to choose two starters (like how the gamecube games started you with 2 pokemon), which would be cool as heck but i guess that's a convention they don't want to break yet

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Starsnostars posted:

I would have played like five minutes of sun if i had to deal with the doubles framerate every battle

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

you would have to choose two starters (like how the gamecube games started you with 2 pokemon), which would be cool as heck but i guess that's a convention they don't want to break yet

XD: Gale of Darkness started you with just an Eevee and only started doing double battles after you caught your first pokemon. It was actually handled fairly well.

Now I wanna replay XD, Coliseum was a bit eeehhh but I remember XD being really good.

EDIT: On my first playthrough I unintentionally ended up with a Mono-Dark team. Didn't mean to but it happened!

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Doubles or nothing

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blooming Brilliant posted:

XD: Gale of Darkness started you with just an Eevee and only started doing double battles after you caught your first pokemon. It was actually handled fairly well.

Now I wanna replay XD, Coliseum was a bit eeehhh but I remember XD being really good.

EDIT: On my first playthrough I unintentionally ended up with a Mono-Dark team. Didn't mean to but it happened!

i could have sworn you started with 2 eevees, oh well

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Beasteh posted:

Duggy stall has enabled some degenerate bullshit such as Shedinja stall
Anything that sees Shedinja get some use in competitive is fine by me, degenerate bullshit or no.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

i could have sworn you started with 2 eevees, oh well

XD was one Eevee. Colosseum was Espeon and Umbreon.

Having your "How to catch Pokemon" tutorial that you always have to go through even though there are so many games where it works exactly the same now actually give you something useful like a second Pokemon to make double battles the standard would be nice though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What was the moveset on the regional championships Smeargle?

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Bogart posted:

What was the moveset on the regional championships Smeargle?

Smogon has the vgc16 smeargle set as

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Spiky Shield
- Follow Me
- Fake Out / Wide Guard

Which is responsible for dark void getting nerfed into the ground this generation.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Dark Void Smeargle Real Hahahaha Just Taunt That Dog Like Call It Names Haha

I guess it's reasonable to lock DV onto Darkrai, but it does dull the shine on 'this dog can do ANYTHING.'

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh man, I hadn't used my doubles smeargle in gen 7 yet, so I didn't know that at all.

Maybe it's time to breed a new smeargle. I do like the sound of Follow Me and Wide Guard on the same pokemon.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

nrook posted:

I've been messing around with building a bot to play singles on Showdown. Would people be interested in me posting status updates on that?

Right now it, uh, picks moves randomly and never switches. But that just means there's a lot of progress I can make!

I'd be super interested, for one.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

I am Reverend posted:

people on the suspect ladder are just using diglett and trapinch anyway http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-531415248

We are in the middle of February 2017 and people are still forgetting about Psychic Terrain.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I am Reverend posted:

Smogon has the vgc16 smeargle set as

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Spiky Shield
- Follow Me
- Fake Out / Wide Guard

Which is responsible for dark void getting nerfed into the ground this generation.

I like how they made Dark Void only usable by Darkrai. I hate that the accuracy is now 50, worse than Hypnosis.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Beasteh posted:

Duggy stall has enabled some degenerate bullshit such as Shedinja stall and generally adds another nightmarish mindgame when playing vs a competent stall player since they can often predict, double switch (or volt-turn/baton pass) and eat your Metagross-Mega alive

Plus the whole being able to easily revenge kill a lot of things without any issue

Degenerate gameplay is a myth

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I would guess that the next thing on the chopping block after Dugtrio is one or both good abilities of Greninja (or is Protean even legal? gently caress if I know it's so hard to actually look up the legality of this poo poo).

Also yeah Smogon clauses and tiers have gotten really awful for anyone to pick up. There's a ban on Hypnosis on either specifically Mega Gengar or specifically any Shadow Tag user, because "that is effectively the same as a OHKO move." Baton Pass related bans have been ridiculously arcane as well.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ultima66 posted:

I would guess that the next thing on the chopping block after Dugtrio is one or both good abilities of Greninja (or is Protean even legal? gently caress if I know it's so hard to actually look up the legality of this poo poo).

Also yeah Smogon clauses and tiers have gotten really awful for anyone to pick up. There's a ban on Hypnosis on either specifically Mega Gengar or specifically any Shadow Tag user, because "that is effectively the same as a OHKO move." Baton Pass related bans have been ridiculously arcane as well.

Things cleaned up marvelously when they started on generation 7 but then it turned out to be fun so now they have to shut everything down again.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[extremely wise] all pokemon battles are bad, what matters is how cute/cool the designs are

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

I mean there's a snapshot of a metagame with no bans or clauses or anything at the top of this page. They should have just banned baton pass instead of like drafting a document on the situations where you can and can't use it but that's just a result of them trying to ban as few things as possible. Like shadow tag got banned because the original suspect test was Gothitelle but it turns out gothorita and even gothita do the same thing anyway, tricking a choice scarf onto a setup sweeper or something that can't kill you in three hits and then resting until they struggle to death.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oddium posted:

[extremely wise] all pokemon battles are bad, what matters is how cute/cool the designs are

spiritomb wins

flawless victory

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

quickban Dedenne to Anything Goes for being too cool as well as too cute

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Anyway trapping abilities are fundamentally broken but different formats change "how broken" this can be.

Smogon's clauses also have literal no meaning if you don't play on sims and if you do then you can always play in the suspect tests to save whatever you want to try to save.

Ubers is the best format because it has enough broken pokemon that you can see a good amount of variety, like, primal groudon has like 4 different sets :haw:. Pokemon basically comes down to what kind of degeneracy you want to play with (like don't even pretend gastrodon toxic stalling and seeding your own pokemon with Celesteela in VGC is not degenerate) and personally I embrace the degeneracy that is Ho-Oh, Arceus, and Primal Groudon (Mega Rayquaza vacate).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 13, 2017

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Since I am the slowest Pokemon player, what is a good place to grind for the League?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Geostomp posted:

Since I am the slowest Pokemon player, what is a good place to grind for the League?

the League itself

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
edit not quote

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

less laughter posted:

quickban Dedenne to Anything Goes for being too cool as well as too cute

:hai:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I miss baton pass degeneracy, and I miss the No Gaurd Fissure Machamps that I made up in my head too.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
this is why I firmly believe they should bring poke-contests and pokathlons into the online scene and flesh them out. Having multiple ways to use your pokemon competitively would be awesome and gives every pokemon and every move a chance to shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
claydol quickbanned to ubers for contests in gen 3