Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

BTW guys, side event drafts at GP Pitt were 20 bucks. gently caress you Past Times, what a complete joke.

How do you gently caress up side drafts? Good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellsau posted:

http://gpnj2017.com/#schedule

GP NJ too. What an embarrassment.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Man, and I was actually considering going too!

Solid, WotC!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Man, and I was actually considering going too!

Solid, WotC!

What, aren't you're gonna play some standard?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Looks like the answer is "Charge 20 bucks"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

20$ drafts seem like a great deal when constructed side events are the same price or more with the same extremely vague prize payouts

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't remember the exact number but GP San Jose side events were expensive enough that I simply didn't bother going

I guess that's the brave new world we live in now

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Some Numbers posted:

I saw two guys collude at a prere, where they waited to get the results of another match to ensure that they could safely ID.

Chill la Chill posted:

:lol: What was the size of prize pool?

I generally prize split at pre-releases. But my FLGS does a 4 round max at the midnight release and pays out based on record. The hitch is that a 4-0 (36 packs) and a 3-1 (12 packs) has a better prize split than two 3-0-1's (18 packs)

So it usually goes something like this

Me: "hey, it's 4:30 in the morning would you like to split prizes?"

Opponent: "Yeah that sounds good"

Me: "okay I scoop"

Also I have been doing this for years so please tell me I'm not breaking any rules by offering the split like that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mezzanon posted:

I generally prize split at pre-releases. But my FLGS does a 4 round max at the midnight release and pays out based on record. The hitch is that a 4-0 (36 packs) and a 3-1 (12 packs) has a better prize split than two 3-0-1's (18 packs)

Also I have been doing this for years so please tell me I'm not breaking any rules by offering the split like that.

I don't think anyone would ever give a poo poo. It's a prerelease.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mezzanon posted:

I did that myself when I used to do the midnight one. The :lol: is that people are colluding for like $20-30 worth in packs.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

BTW guys, side event drafts at GP Pitt were 20 bucks. gently caress you Past Times, what a complete joke.

*They have a monopoly on the floor space and it sounds like they were running at a good clip so this seems about right. If you don't like it vote with your feet.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 13, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

This seems perfectly fine and doesn't appear to be collusion. It isn't like you're trying to arrange a top 4, your record doesn't affect other players.

What isn't perfectly fine is this, the GPNJ side events list:

You've got to be loving kidding me. Why bother? $15 for a Standard/Modern event, $20 for a draft, same prizes for each, in some sort of nebulous prize tickets for a prize wall that doesn't appear to exist yet so there's no way to know what a ticket is worth. $15 would be what was charged for an 8-man win-a-box constructed event. Compared to that, those drafts look like great value!

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
On the plus side, we're probably getting some sweet alternate art promo card, ideally of a highly sought after playable with a low mana cost.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The Abzan 8x Hardened Scales deck on CFB right now looks fun as hell and I wish I had the ravagers.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No torrentials. Basically using the BW shell replacing languish with Yahennis Expertise and running 2 Lilly, 2 Sorin, 2 Ob, 1 Jace, 3 Gideon.

The rest is filled out with push, grasp, snare, counters and fragmentize with 2 Noxious gearhulks. Oh and some draw spells.

The land based SEEMS smooth but I haven't played tested it much yet.

I'm not running main deck board wipes, because of my Spell Quellers, but I may find main decking them is a bad idea, and they should just be void shatters.
I use Baraal's expertise instead, because sticking Gideon or Kalitas after seems like a huge swing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

DangerDongs posted:

I'm not running main deck board wipes, because of my Spell Quellers, but I may find main decking them is a bad idea, and they should just be void shatters.
I use Baraal's expertise instead, because sticking Gideon or Kalitas after seems like a huge swing.

I debated spell quelled and took them out for board wipes. I like barals as a 2 of. I may try it out.

The creature suite I'm using is 2 avacyn 3 Kalitas 2 gonti

That will probably change.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

little munchkin posted:

20$ drafts seem like a great deal when constructed side events are the same price or more with the same extremely vague prize payouts

Constructed on demand events were $15 at GP Pittsburgh.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I debated spell quelled and took them out for board wipes. I like barals as a 2 of. I may try it out.

The creature suite I'm using is 2 avacyn 3 Kalitas 2 gonti

That will probably change.

Keep us updated with how your testing goes. You seem a more towards the control side, and I'm more tempo with SQ and 2x dispel.

Right now I'm trying 4x aether hub with 2x glimmer of genius and 2x anticipate. I may remove the hubs and do 4x anticipate based on testing this Friday.

After game day everyone was asking me how to build control, so I suspect all the aggro players are going to try and switch over, so my sideboard has 3x negate, 4 transgress the mind and the third dispel. That coupled with SQ and Avacyn should close games quick.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The Abzan 8x Hardened Scales deck on CFB right now looks fun as hell and I wish I had the ravagers.

Link? Phone postin over here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

*They have a monopoly on the floor space and it sounds like they were running at a good clip so this seems about right. If you don't like it vote with your feet.

I did. That doesn't mean I can't come in here and complain about their lovely price gouging. GP's are already ridiculous price gouging anyway. A 1300+ person tournament that pays down to 64 is a loving joke too. The x-4 no cash at a GP is the height of bullshit.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

C-Euro posted:

Link? Phone postin over here.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/modern-abzan-aggro-legless-walkers/

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

I did. That doesn't mean I can't come in here and complain about their lovely price gouging. GP's are already ridiculous price gouging anyway. A 1300+ person tournament that pays down to 64 is a loving joke too. The x-4 no cash at a GP is the height of bullshit.

I agree it is pretty shameful. It's why I'm no going to Vancouver despite it being pretty close. They still seem to sell out though so I doubt anyone is going to get the message.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You don't want your modern deck to be based around a 2 drop that dies to every single playable removal spell in the format lol.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

You don't want your modern deck to be based around a 2 drop that dies to every single playable removal spell in the format lol.

You forgot that it also dies to Infect even faster than usual.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Walking Ballista seems like a pretty stellar card against Infect though.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

Past Times is the loving worst but they've got a death grip on the midwest and no heroic east coast competitor is going to start hosting GPs in Milwaukee/Chicago/Indianapolis.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Infect is HORRIBLE. Don't play it or you'll feel bad like I did at regionals. It wasn't fun.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

Infect is HORRIBLE. Don't play it or you'll feel bad like I did at regionals. It wasn't fun.

What's the best Modern deck to play if you hate yourself and want to suffer?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Attorney at Funk posted:

Whatever takes to longest to finish matches so you never have time to unwind between rounds

one of many reasons i play tron, one way or the other it is over quickly

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Probably Lantern Control, so long as you don't mind your opponent suffering even more.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

You deserve it though.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Doomsday isn't in Modern. So you are out of luck.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Attorney at Funk posted:

Eldrazi, you'll start 5-1, knock out a bunch of people who had bad matchups or didn't draw land hate, be incredibly bored the entire time you're playing the deck, and then miss day 2 after 3 hours of losing and go 5-4.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

I noticed that. Seemed crazy unless the prizes were really good.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Just do what I did and spend 2 days trading for crap and don't actually play any Magic, then skip the Sunday and sleep all day.

(Sorry I ignored your PM mcmagic. I decided to skip Sunday for forgot to answer you.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

GP Manchester ran out of side events that weren't constructed or latest draft set, and I didn't want to pay £15 to draft a set I could draft for 10 at my LGS, and I was finishing Lantern at the GP but didn't jave quite everything pulled out as I wasn't sure I was getting enough trade credit to get what I needed.

Girlfriend had fun in the events she played in, but a chunk of Saturday, and pretty much all of Sunday I was kind of miserable because there was gently caress all to do that I'd went to the GP for.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Alris posted:

Probably Lantern Control, so long as you don't mind your opponent suffering even more.

The only suffering is playing Lantern at a GP and sustaining an erection across 16 rounds.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You deserve it though.

Sigh....

suicidesteve posted:

I noticed that. Seemed crazy unless the prizes were really good.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Just do what I did and spend 2 days trading for crap and don't actually play any Magic, then skip the Sunday and sleep all day.

(Sorry I ignored your PM mcmagic. I decided to skip Sunday for forgot to answer you.)

NP dude.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Infect.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

Lantern.................it is the most boring type of prison deck that never actually closes out the game and requires you to meticulously perform actions over and over again, and keep a constant running count of both yours and your opponents libraries so you know when to switch from most efficiently denying them cards to just milling them most efficiently. It is a boring, repetitive deck where you will either lose or go to time (and usually win at the end of rounds with 1 win and a draw) And EVEN IF you are maximizing the speed of YOUR play, your opponent may think about responding to each and every activation of a ghoulcaller's bell type effect, drawing out the game even longer. It is a miserable deck to play for miserable people who want to spread as much drudgery as humanly possible.

So yeah, lantern.

And you should note, I am a fan of long controlling denial games........my favorite deck of all time to pilot is UW SPhinx-Elixir, without Aetherling or Elspeth back in Ravnica/Theros, so I know a thing or two about long rear end grindy games.........................but at least Sphinx Elixir was fun to pilot.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 13, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm pretty lenient/tolerant of the people I play Magic against (or I'm just lucky), but the only time I would undeniably say that I played against a grognard was the one time I played against Lantern Control. So yeah Lantern.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Sigh....

Infect.

I like infect. I played it when it was Sultai before Become immense got printed and before it even played git probe. Infect is one of my favorite decks, I play it in legacy and it's incredible.

If you hate yourself, play infect in Modern.

mcmagic you're cool and good right now.

I'm taking Bant spirits to GP Vancouver, because I didn't feel like playing Bogles or infect or burn. Feel free to mock me over the weekend as I regale you with tales of bad beats and even worse plays by me.

Plus Meddling mages in the sideboard like a real G.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

there's always Bogles if you want the thrill of Infect without any of the pesky decisions or choices

• Locked thread