Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Psycho Society posted:

Have faction battles that count for extra influence points, where you and your team play as heros from your faction against another. Would be fun and make you feel like your faction means something.

Yeah even something like this would be nice. Nobody is expecting some full on MMO poo poo, like they have to work within the confines of what this game is. But just a little something to give people identity could go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Donnerberg posted:

At least they didn't force hero choice based on faction. That's the only way a dumb system could be worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was their original idea, but then they realized that it just wouldn't work out. You'd have to have a set of very generic heroes that have minor faction differences for it to work, and with a fighting game that setup just doesn't work. At least not with any real reliability/sanity.

While the current setup takes a good chunk of the drama out of the faction war system it makes for a much better and more balanced game.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ice Fist posted:

What is the 'bonus' that you can get from being on the winning faction or what have you?

Is it significant enough that everyone is going to be jumping ship to the winning faction and then one faction is going to dominate for the lifetime of this game?

I don't know which dev video I saw, but it said there would be ornaments for the winning faction. No details.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
I'd prefer if matchmaking just matched you with people of your own faction and not against people of your own faction.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ice Fist posted:

What is the 'bonus' that you can get from being on the winning faction or what have you?

Is it significant enough that everyone is going to be jumping ship to the winning faction and then one faction is going to dominate for the lifetime of this game?

I believe someone posted a few pages ago that switching factions mid war would make you ineligible for rewards, but nothing stopping someone for identifying a faction that is stronger and then pile into that and stay in it. Hopefully there might be population balance if winning the faction war is something that actually matters.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Haroshia posted:

I'd prefer if matchmaking just matched you with people of your own faction and not against people of your own faction.

Even this would end up limiting matchmaking which is not good for the health of a multi player game.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Garrand posted:

I tried both but ended up going with controller because actual movement felt better on the analog stick but I also missed that there was a guard block sensitivity option so I'm definitely going to have to get KB&M another shot come release.

Don't bother with KB&M here. This is definitely in the category of games where you shall use the controller or suffer. Probably the most glaring example, blocking. Not only is it nearly impossible to NOT be blocking in a direction with the KB&M configuration, which means your more susceptible to guard breaks, but shifting your block direction is very iffy. Like if you're a person who holes their mouse slightly tilted, then you may have a natural swing of slightly up or down when moving the mouse left or right and suddenly you're guarding in the wrong direction. Or just the vagueness of the deadzone with the mouse over a stick. Granted there may be a control scheme that allows blocking via keypress instead of mouse movement, I didn't dig that deep, but this just seems like a game where KB&M is a definitive no go if you want to really master it.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

nessin posted:

Don't bother with KB&M here. This is definitely in the category of games where you shall use the controller or suffer.

:negative:

It's fine if you personally enjoy the controller more (I play with a 360 controller), but the KB&M controls are hardly bad. They take some getting used to, but ultimately allow you to more easily execute advanced moves. Saying you would suffer by learning the KB&M controls is flat out false.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

nessin posted:

Don't bother with KB&M here. This is definitely in the category of games where you shall use the controller or suffer. Probably the most glaring example, blocking. Not only is it nearly impossible to NOT be blocking in a direction with the KB&M configuration, which means your more susceptible to guard breaks, but shifting your block direction is very iffy. Like if you're a person who holes their mouse slightly tilted, then you may have a natural swing of slightly up or down when moving the mouse left or right and suddenly you're guarding in the wrong direction. Or just the vagueness of the deadzone with the mouse over a stick. Granted there may be a control scheme that allows blocking via keypress instead of mouse movement, I didn't dig that deep, but this just seems like a game where KB&M is a definitive no go if you want to really master it.

Lol everyone look at this awful advice

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

nessin posted:

You're always considered blocking (or at least able to be guard-broken) unless you're attacking. KB&M vs controller has nothing to do with it. Like, even as a berserker who has to actually time my blocks I can be guard-broken as long as I'm not actively attacking.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nechronic posted:

Even this would end up limiting matchmaking which is not good for the health of a multi player game.

It's a bit silly of you to assume it would be a hard requirement. It could just be a preference.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

panda clue posted:

This is the extent of the depth in the faction war:

But I've always hated the weebs.

Kensei are dumb idiots that look like they are wearing pajama pants. Also they ruin their otherwise cool masks by sticking mustaches on them.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Internet Kraken posted:

Also they save their otherwise dumb masks by sticking mustaches on them.

Fixed that for you.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

It'd be neat to have the main options that exist which give small amounts of resources and then a full on Faction War option with faction related matchmaking / class picking if you really want to get into it.

I've been wondering what a large scale battle mode would be like. 16 vs 16 players in a large arena or something. Although after thinking about the way the game relies on guard mode I don't think battles with that many people would work particularly well.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

nessin posted:

Looks like someone has never played a sword fighting game on PC before.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

nessin posted:

This isn't true at all. First off, blocking in any direction does not make you 'more' susceptible to guard breaks - you are ALWAYS able to be hit by them, regardless of your guard state, unless you hit them during the guardbreak or counter-guardbreak them in return. Second, this doesn't play like other games, you don't have to make huge sweeping movements to change your guard direction, and in fact you can adjust the sensitivity of guard adjusting so that the required movement is even smaller (or, if you have jittery hands or something, make it larger so you aren't accidentally changing guards with small movements). KB+M is entirely viable as a control scheme and even comes with the advantage of being able to rebind your keys to your liking, which I've heard you can't do with a controller.

Hell, I'm a wierdo who plays games with a trackball and feel like it's the one game where it's even an advantage over a standard mouse, because it's incredibly easy to make very small movements to change guard directions rapidly.

And yes, you can map the different block directions to different keys if you want.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Indecisive posted:

I'm a wierdo who plays games with a trackball

:eyepop:

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I play with rock band drums, ez game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Alkydere posted:

Just wanna say that megaposts about historical poo poo like this make any more awesome.

Still doesn't help the fact that the Japanese Islands were very iron poor. The South American tribes had the same issue really, which is why for "swords" they would often use what was called a Quecha (I probably spelled that wrong). Basically a paddle with obsidian shards on the edges for cutting edges. Works really damned well...until the Spanish come rolling along armored in iron hats and curaisses, and armed with steel swords and smallpox. Volcanic areas just aren't great for iron.

That's because plate armor such as that was designed to defend against swords in general. It's why you'd have peasants using hammers and maces. Also why as discussed last night you'd have Knights grabbing the blade of their swords in their gauntletted hands to bludgeon each other with the weighted pommels and crossguards of their swords (like with the Warden's executions) as make-shift hammers.

I'd just like to elaborate on this issue:

The South American "tribes" (probably a misnomer given that they were capable of large scale city building) didn't eschew iron due to lack of availability so much as lack of need. The circumstances that created the European arms race simply did not exist in South America. Heavy armor was wildly impractical due to sheer climate, the Spaniards rarely even wore their breastplates to avoid being cooked, and due to the ready availability of obsidian they already had pretty much all they needed in terms of weapons material. They had all they needed in terms of metals for tool making, there was little direct incentive to experiment further.

Weaponry had essentially nothing to do with the Spanish victory in South America. Plague did quite literally all the heavy lifting. Before the plague got in full swing, Cortez was little more than a curiosity and a mercenary playing the sides of the Aztec civil war.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Lmao at anyone who isnt playing this using a touch screen

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can remap the guard keys but you can't remap the camera controls outside of guard mode, so you have to use a mouse anyways. Which sucks since I still can't get a hang of not loving up my attacks by switching to the wrong direction on the mouse. I have a really bad habit of guard breaking someone and trying to do a left/right heavy attack, but my hand movements cause me to do an overhead attack instead which is slow enough to be blocked.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

panda clue posted:

I play with rock band drums, ez game

I tried to play the MTG: Planeswalkers game (the first one on Xbox) with a Guitar Hero guitar and it mostly worked but I was much chagrined to find out that it was impossible to target certain spells at certain things. It lost us a 2HG game and my partner briefly berated me over it :nsa:

panda clue
May 23, 2014
tfw you realize someone has beaten Dark Souls using only voice commands

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Greatshields were pretty broken.

I was actually pleasantly surprised that this game was much easier to control than Souls on a keyboard+mouse. The combat might be more complex but you use far less buttons in actual play since you don't have weapon swapping, items, spells, etc. I honestly don't understand how people play Souls with a standard 3 button mouse because I simply felt like I didn't have enough buttons to actually do everything. That's why I remapped it to just use the keyboard.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hey, someone beat Dark Souls using a Guitar Hero controller, and the original Pokemon using only Twitch.tv

Internet Kraken posted:

Greatshields were pretty broken.

I was actually pleasantly surprised that this game was much easier to control than Souls on a keyboard+mouse. The combat might be more complex but you use far less buttons in actual play since you don't have weapon swapping, items, spells, etc. I honestly don't understand how people play Souls with a standard 3 button mouse because I simply felt like I didn't have enough buttons to actually do everything. That's why I remapped it to just use the keyboard.

We cry and suffer and convince ourselves we're having fun until we finally get a controller to play the Souls games.

For Honor seems incredibly amazing on the other hand with MKB.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

Lmao at anyone who isnt playing this using a touch screen

Personally I use a fleshlight with touch panels mounted along the internal walls.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I am using gyro controls.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Alkydere posted:

Hey, someone beat Dark Souls using a Guitar Hero controller, and the original Pokemon using only Twitch.tv

Twitch Plays Peacekeeper could probably beat the bottom 30% of players in this game pretty well tbh

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I use Microsoft strategic commander.

(Would unironically try this if that thing was for the right hand)

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

Dusting off the ol DDR pad for this.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

So Icey Seifuku posted:

Dusting off the ol DDR pad for this.

You beat me to it, I'm never going to be able to use that drat thing again.

Edit: x-box one players need to play using an adapted Steel Battalion controller. Anyone who plays a Lawbringer or Shugoki needs to go through the full startup sequence before they can move.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 13, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
oh my god the salt on the for honor reddit about the staggered release time.

people threatening to cancel the pre-orders because the game unlocks at 12am local time and how dare people get to play earlier than they do. It's hilarious.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
loving Americans used to get all games 3 days earlier than Europe they can't complain :colbert:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

panda clue posted:

Twitch Plays Peacekeeper could probably beat the bottom 30% of players in this game pretty well tbh

guard break

stabstabstab

guard break

stabstabstab

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Do we have a steam group or whatever up for this dumb game? I too would like to play bad video game with bad nerds.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TwatHammer posted:

Do we have a steam group or whatever up for this dumb game? I too would like to play bad video game with bad nerds.

Would you care to peruse our wine VOIP menu, Monsieur?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
When is the last time OP even posted in the thread? maybe somebody else should make a new thread so we can put in the guides, VOIP contacts etc

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p83F7NU6mI

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Warlords get on the game too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MRrQVIxkmE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

oh my god the salt on the for honor reddit about the staggered release time.

people threatening to cancel the pre-orders because the game unlocks at 12am local time and how dare people get to play earlier than they do. It's hilarious.

I wonder if it makes them more upset to know some streamers got to play right at noon pst