Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ViggyNash posted:

I'm so torn on whether I even want one.

I can only imagine that it gets creepier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the real issue with ngnl is that it isn't nearly as smart as it thinks it is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i watched a few episodes a while back and it was just kind of bad

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

How many matches have there been since the one at the end of the anime? Or is that the one still going?

they spent like five chapters on washizu dying and going to hell to lead a revolt and coming back as a giant to fight a tank

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

i was wrong it was twelve chapters

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm kinda surprised a second season of ngnl is a thing that is even cared about here

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
No Game No Loss :shrug:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i'm kinda surprised a second season of ngnl is a thing that is even cared about here

I'm a sucker for that kind of mind-gamey stuff, and it did that part pretty good. I also like its super weird world design which is contrived just to deliver that kind of mind-gamey stuff. It was a really fun setup.

But the rest of it is, well... problematic.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

NGNL tilted hard on the color saturation and sometimes that is enough for me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
NGNL generally ranged from OK to unfunny, but the shiritori episode was fantastic.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

NGNL was just meh imo but Madhouse quality made it bearable. It felt too cliche with the plot every Light Novel has of protagonist getting stuck in a secondary world and they basically are the most important person.

Also the fanservice was really annoying and one of the main female lead is mentally ill levels of stupid. It felt insulting at times to watch it but the production and design was very well done. Whenever someone uses the word otaku pandering I think of this show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ulio posted:

NGNL was just meh imo but Madhouse quality made it bearable. It felt too cliche with the plot every Light Novel has of protagonist getting stuck in a secondary world and they basically are the most important person.

Also the fanservice was really annoying and one of the main female lead is mentally ill levels of stupid. It felt insulting at times to watch it but the production and design was very well done. Whenever someone uses the word otaku pandering I think of this show.

There are very few series that does this genre well. Log Horizon, Grimgar and KonoSuba actually do it well through different avenues.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think there are lots of really well-made madhouse shows you can watch that don't have bad fanservice and unlikable protags

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i think there are lots of really well-made madhouse shows you can watch that don't have bad fanservice and unlikable protags

and basically non-existent game theory, which always seems to come up as one reason people watch NGNL.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The only game theory I need is in Virtue's Last Reward

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I gave a NGNL BD to the Pope!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ngnl was fine, mayb etoo normie

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

NGNL was stupid, colorful, and fun. That's enough to make me to like it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ngnl had a really good instrumental op

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I thought ngnl was supposed to be gross? I dunno what to believe anymore

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

NTNR

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

the sister is, like, 11 and there are weird upskirts of her in some scenes and also they sexually harass a lady in like episode 2 and the brother tries to get photos of her boobs

i watched the first few eps like two years ago though so i might be misremembering stuff, basically i just remember that the show was pretty but every character was pretty thoroughly unlikable

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 13, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

littleorv posted:

it's sometimes lewd and has a set of very close siblings so ymmv on grossness

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

drat... so its monogatari

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Davincie posted:

drat... my thoughts exactly

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

littleorv posted:

The only game theory I need is in Virtue's Last Reward

That's not the same thing at all...

littleorv posted:

No, it still has some bad poo poo. It just has some good poo poo in there too, but whether that's enough to balance things out depends on the person.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That's why I said the real issue is that it's not as smart as it thinks it is. The shiratori game is decent but the first game is basically Calvinball and the last one is won through an uninteresting rear end pull. It's not a good battle of wits type show

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie posted:

at least monogatari had a bunch of story arcs i genuinely liked before i fell off of it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know a lot of Yowapeda characters have some kind of minor bicycling superpower, but Midousuji's bicycle-satan shtick is so over the top it kinda kills the show for me. Also, i don't know what Midousuji was calling Naruko in Japanese, and I don't care if it literally translates to chicken-head, they really should not have translated it as chicken-head

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's implied backstory with the NGNL siblings anyways that I'm not sure the LNs have delved too much into other than revealing that the sister is adopted and the brother has some kind of past trauma, but I didn't read too far into it. That they're unbeatable does seem to be a developing thing considering their allies were starting to form a coalition on how to beat them. NGNL also does some different twists in its fantasy races, so it had more interesting world-building than the usual copy-paste of fantasy archetypes. But yeah, it's like Monogatari in that it embraces a bunch of fetishes too so that can be a deal breaker, since it's unlikely that NGNL will attempt to have the depth that Monogatari has.

Generally, each new arc is the siblings figuring out a game that is deliberately rigged against them anyways, so you got the arc where they have to beat real life gal gun, and then the arc afterwards where they attempt a dating sim where it turns out every route is rigged into a death flag. I assume the formula continues that way after that.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 14, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Any blue exorcist fans here? I was reading up on it prior to the release and thought it was a continuation of the story, but the general animosity of characters towards the MC as well as Konekomaru's arm being in a sling makes me wonder if it isn't taking place during the first season. I'm wondering if anyone who's been watching it can clarify this for me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first season had a filler ending. the second season is pretending that never happened and is continuing from episode 17 or so, which is where the adaptation of the manga left off.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the first season had a filler ending. the second season is pretending that never happened and is continuing from episode 17 or so, which is where the adaptation of the manga left off.

I'm kind of glad. I liked S1 but kinda disliked towards the end where Satan was trying to merge the two worlds because his waifu wanted to. I look forward to seeing how this season goes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think anyone liked that ending

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I like Blue Exorcist. It's basically a poor man's Kekkaishi / D. Gray Man but that's okay.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it always has tons of incredibly nasty stuff that is going on above the kids' heads. the kids then run face first into those messes. the actual exorcising demons thing isn't really the focus, which is good because that poo poo is kind of boring.

i'd say it is a lot more coherent than d.gray man, at least.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu posted:

Ngnl had a really good instrumental op

i forgot i made this post and meant to post the video and forgot, but here it is now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSBNAPam_hU

also just random tangent i only know of the instrumental because someone once randomly linked me this site and told me to put in this image into it.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 14, 2017

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Since Kemono Friends is blowing up quite a bit in Japan (and seems to have started doing so in the west as well), I went ahead and made a thread for it.

I've been watching since the first episode and while it's a pretty janky looking show at first glance, it actually turned out to be really charming and fun, and there's some pretty interesting hints with regard to the setting and world. Maybe check it out if you're looking for a chill healing-type or cute-girls-doing-cute-things sort of show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I only watched the early episodes of Blue Exorcist S1, but I liked the unusual emphasis on teamwork by shonen standards. Does that stick around?

Meanwhile, you really do have to admire the light novel industry for its tireless efforts to dig out fresh and exciting new material from the fetish mines.

• Locked thread