Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i didn't want to have this thing shipped at my apartment complex so i sent it off to mother's house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TFRazorsaw posted:

You guys are missing like, several years worth of the story there. Penders wasn't fired so much as he quit/they stopped contracting him. A new writer came on, he was more receptive to what Sega wanted out of the character. However, Penders copyrighted his works and characters, and then sued Sega and Activision for drawing on his stories for "Sonic Chronicles". Archie in turn sued HIM, it led to a settlement, and then came the reboot.

Specifically, he copyrighted his OC Echidnas and later created a series called The Lara-Su Chronicles, named after the character he made as Knuckles's daughter (with some character named Julie-Su). The Lara-Su Chronicles feature an alien race called "Echyd'nya" and is probably the saddest thing in the world to come out of the Sonic fandom.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Sonic is good in Smash Brothers

They made all his moves just spin-dash. He is the most boring dude in Smash :colbert:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The Sonic Adventure games are very bad but I still enjoy them and find them fun because I played them when I was like 12

I would also say that I enjoy Sonic CD, Chaotix and a few of the Game Gear games (Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble) but doing so makes goons mad that I like these games

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i have not enjoyed playing any Sonic games but Sonic CD managed to have two separate soundtracks that are both amazing, which is pretty impressive.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/cUwoTRT.gifv

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

well why not posted:

bomberman r looks ok, but wake me up when we get the horny anime girl version they're making for japan
Are they horny or is it just you?

Re: Sonic chat, don't forget Shadow got a game too!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think anyone is going to defend modern Sonic, that poo poo is abysmal, but there have been good recent titles. Really what they should do is just run (heh) with what they created with Sonic Generations and remove Modern Sonic and give us Sonic games that have nothing to do with that abortion of an extended universe. Just have fat, chubby Sonic stopping Robotnik's terrible plan over and over and you're golden.

That's almost literally what they've been doing since after Sonic 06 happened. Sonic Unleashed/Colors/Lost World/Generations were all pretty lighthearted games about Sonic foiling Eggman's plans with no giant ensemble cast.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

japtor posted:

Never had any interest in playing that game until I saw this screen shot

should I get it for the PS2 or the Gamecube??

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Xad posted:

That's almost literally what they've been doing since after Sonic 06 happened. Sonic Unleashed/Colors/Lost World/Generations were all pretty lighthearted games about Sonic foiling Eggman's plans with no giant ensemble cast.

Sonic Boom has also been really good in terms of overall setting and character developments. Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal are terrible, but Fire & Ice is solid and actually reflects the dialogue ad attitude of the TV show, which is great.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was actually a p good game. The Knuckles/Rouge levels are good, most of the Shadow levels are good, and there's like 1 Robotnik level that is good. Pumpkin Hill rules, the Rouge level soundtracks are all real good too. Anyways that's my opinions about an old rear end game.

Classic Genesis sonic games actively punish you for trying to go fast and they're pretty goddamn frustrating so I don't get the Sonic Mania hype. I think the only 2D sonic I really like is Rush but that's because I am a giant idiot maybe?!?!? I played the poo poo out of the first Sonic back when I was a lad the 5th zone is p cool but that last zone always stressed me the gently caress out.

/end Sonic opinions

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
what the gently caress goodwill

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

japtor posted:

bet he's driving without a license too

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xad posted:

But they fail in regards to featuring Modern Sonic, and not the better designed, non-voice acted, Retro Sonic.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Maybe you had to grow up with Genesis Sonic games to enjoy them, I dunno. The whole thing about them is that they're basically all about momentum and using slopes \ curves to gain \ lower speed.

But I have been wanting another proper 2D Sonic game for decades. Like, moreso than any other game. Mainly because they just stopped making them. Sonic Advance 1 was the last game that played and felt like the Genesis games and that game came out in 2001 for GBA.

I've been wanting a real, honest to God, Sonic 4 since 1994. And let me tell you, the actual Sonic 4 we got was not it. The less said about that game, the better.

I mean hell, they actually have made a couple good Sonic games after 1995, like Sonic Generations & Colors, but they're really nothing like the old games to the point where it's like apples and oranges. They're good games and all, but the classic Sonic sections in Generations are the closest thing I've had to scratching that itch for years.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Classic Genesis sonic games actively punish you for trying to go fast
Yeah I never understood this about 2D Sonic games. The whole shtick is going really fast, but you can't see enough of the level to go really fast without dying unless you've already memorized the level. It's completely self-defeating, like if every time you jumped in a Mario game the screen drunk-wobbled all over the place.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
my friend had a sega and we played a poo poo load of sonic 2, nba jam and streets of rage. sonic mania is going to own

Cicero posted:

Yeah I never understood this about 2D Sonic games. The whole shtick is going really fast, but you can't see enough of the level to go really fast without dying unless you've already memorized the level. It's completely self-defeating, like if every time you jumped in a Mario game the screen drunk-wobbled all over the place.

this is because you gave up after your first game over. a real gaming fail right here, folks

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Cicero posted:

unless you've already memorized the level

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

No, I enjoyed them well enough on my game gear, it still seems dumb though to basically require memorization.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

just a friendly protip to all my gamer bros out there. when the screen says game over, you can play again

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thing with the whole "I can't go fast without running into a guy" in sonic argument is kinda dumb, because people act like the down button doesn't exist. You keep the speed (but not over long distances) and you don't get hurt. It's not an issue. It's like saying you hate Mario because the goomba isn't pre-stomped.

I could totally understand if it was more of an argument that say, Sonic 1 is presented as a speed game, and then everything past Zone 1 is just slow hell (block pushing lava basement, bumper hell, girder world lined with exploding proximity guys), because they all are. But 2 and 3 mostly fixed that issue.

Anyway, for thread content I wish I could pre-order a Switch but will be getting a restocked one whenever that happens. That's my Switch story Thanks for reading.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Cicero posted:

No, I enjoyed them well enough on my game gear, it still seems dumb though to basically require memorization.

:doh:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Takoluka posted:

Specifically, he copyrighted his OC Echidnas and later created a series called The Lara-Su Chronicles, named after the character he made as Knuckles's daughter (with some character named Julie-Su). The Lara-Su Chronicles feature an alien race called "Echyd'nya" and is probably the saddest thing in the world to come out of the Sonic fandom.

:nms:https://i.imgur.com/Bp3nk19.png:nms:

This is amazing in the most terrible way

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sorry that I'm too old school for you. I've played Sonic games on other systems too of course, albeit not as much as I did when I had basically infinite free time.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

:nms:https://i.imgur.com/Bp3nk19.png:nms:

This is amazing in the most terrible way

fnaf 6 looking sweet in 3d

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

But they fail in regards to featuring Modern Sonic, and not the better designed, non-voice acted, Retro Sonic.

it's strange how people who hate sonic are just as weirdly obsessive as the fans

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He copyrighted all of his old work, including the actual stories. It's more than the echidnas. A number of vital characters, including half of the main characters' relatives who WEREN'T echidnas, several villains - he even claims that Archie can't loving use Eggman because the pre-reboot version of the character had continuity with an alternate universe counterpart of Robotnik that the comic introduced.

The biggest loving losses were Scourge and Shard; the first can't be used because Penders created him as "Evil Sonic", a bog standard Evil Twin character who Ian Flynn managed to transform into a well developed character, while Shard can't be used because he was an upgraded version of a specific incarnation of Metal Sonic Penders used in a story once.

Generally, all of the characters Penders created were handled better by Ian Flynn. And while I think the book is stronger for the reboot I still feel bad we can't see how their stories ended.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I grew up with a Genesis so I memorized the levels in Sonic.

Saying that memorization sucks and is bad game design is weird and kinda dumb because almost all of the best 2D side scrollers are about memorizing things. Classic Castlevania, Mega Man... and ESPECIALLY Contra. I keep hearing people say that "oh man, Contra and Mega Man are insanely hard!!" except... they're really not? You keep playing them, you figure out how things work and gradually they get easier and easier till they're no problem at all.

I guess what I'm saying is git gud scrubs

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

now that i know about some nutso's fan-wank spin off sonic characters, im sad they wont be featured in sonic mania on the nintendo switch

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

waugh my extremely valuable intellectual property of SCOURGE and SHARD whatever will we do without these foundational pieces of the sonic canon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

waugh my extremely valuable intellectual property of SCOURGE and SHARD whatever will we do without these foundational pieces of the sonic canon

That's quite a bit of a leap from "These characters are gone and I miss them" but sure opinions only exist in extremes.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

here's an extreme opinion: nintendo switch? good.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SHARD

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SCHISM

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SHREK

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

How dare you disrespect the original edgy hedgehog OC Scourge

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I had the sonic comics as a kid and watch the TV show and going back and looking at them as an adult, they're really, really weird. And not very good.

When I was like 6 I thought it was awesome to have a cartoon where Robotnik is a scary evil dictator ruling from a dark, depressing robot city who kidnaps people and makes them into robots, but nowadays it just seems like really weird tone whiplash. I watched some episodes of the dark, series Sonic cartoon a few years back and it feels like Sonic the Hedgehog somehow wandered into the wrong cartoon because he doesn't feel like he belongs there. And it basically invented furries so that's a big knock against it, too.

I like the goofy cartoon with Scratch and Grounder a lot better. They should really bring them back.

Also the funny thing about Sonic is no matter if its the games, or the various cartoons, comics, whatever, somehow Robotnik\Eggman is consistently the best character. Always.

After Sonic Mania, they just need to make a Dr. Robotnik spinoff game. Actually, why isn't he the main character? He rules. Eggman is like the best video game character ever. He's such a lovable goof.

Knuckles is the 2nd best Sonic character after Eggman because unlike Sonic, he doesn't chuckle. He'd rather flex his muscles.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's quite a bit of a leap from "These characters are gone and I miss them" but sure opinions only exist in extremes.

They do when forums post Super No Vacancy is on the job!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The main characters of this franchise are named Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.

They fight a guy named Eggman.

The bad hedgehog being named "Scourge" is about the same level of evil Mario being "Mario with the Japanese word for bad in it.". For god's sake y'all.

I mean, make fun of him. Sure. The character exists to be made fun of. That's the entire point. He's a knockoff who doesn't realize he's a knockoff. That is exactly the kind of story Ian told with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Nintendo Switch: Actually this thread is about Sonic the Hedgehog

• Locked thread