Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

H110Hawk posted:

I have a Bosch SHE66something. There is a whole feature matrix that the fine people at pacific sales can get out to walk you through it. We have the 3-tray one and while the silverware tray seems silly it was worth it.
Currently loaded with an 8.5L stock pot, 6qt instant pot, flower vase, 3plates, cheese grater in the bottom rack. Middle has a medium pot in it + a bunch of bowls/cups/etc, top rack has a bunch of silverware, baby bottle parts, 2 metal spatulas, cooking spoon, and spoon rest thing.

I also have Bosch whatever with the 3 racks and it fuckin owns. Super quiet, cleans really well. 3rd rack can removed to give extra space, holds a ton. been 2 years and no issues. Would definitely recommend. We do all the silverware in the 3rd rack and that lets us remove the silverware tray in the bottom, giving a bunch more room for larger stuff/more plates or whatever.

emocrat fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Having a 3rd rack just for silverware is basically the time you realized you have made it in life.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My dual sink is half and half shaped. Half is used as a sink, the other half has the drying rack in it. I'd rather have a single large sink that can fit my larger pots and pans. Or at least a 2/3 - 1/3 double sink, because we can't give up that counter space thats occupied by plants and put the drying rack there for some reason.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Having a 3rd rack just for silverware is basically the time you realized you have made it in life.

I never knew this existed until I imaged searched it just now and I now have a new #1 desired purchase.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Solution to all these sink conundrums: get a large single sink. And then get another, right next to the first. Voila. No more counters, just sinks, sinks forever.

e: I mean, sinks and dishwashers, obviously

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

My dual sink is half and half shaped. Half is used as a sink, the other half has the drying rack in it. I'd rather have a single large sink that can fit my larger pots and pans. Or at least a 2/3 - 1/3 double sink, because we can't give up that counter space thats occupied by plants and put the drying rack there for some reason.

My parents had a kitchen renovation that replaced their single large sink with a 2/3rd, 1/3rd split sink, with the drying rack being in the 2/3rd section. Washing anything at all large is a pain in the rear end, because it doesn't fit into the 1/3rd section and you invariably end up splattering water over the half-dry dishes on the rack.

The person that planned that renovation a) doesn't hand-wash many dishes (and yes, my parents do have a dishwasher, but putting cookware in it would drastically limit its space for normal plates and bowls), b) doesn't ever hand-wash large dishes, and c) doesn't have multiple people incrementally hand-washing dishes as they get dirty instead of in one big dump all at once.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

therobit posted:

Since I am planning on doing our kitchen in a few years, are there any dishwashers that can fit large stockpots and the like? Our currwnt rollaway cant even handle larger dinnet plates due to clearance for the spinning nozels.

Depends. Our 6 year old Whirlpool Gold easily fits my 20qt pot. Honestly, bring the pot in when you go shopping. I brought in my stock pots when I went fridge shopping and was happy with the results. I just wish I did that with my stove/oven.

And built in disposals are wonderful.

And I miss my single large sink. DEATH TO THE 2 BASIN!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

...did all their food taste like soap?

Yes.

Pissflaps posted:

I'm from the UK and I only perform a dedicated rinse on items where the bubbles might not be removable with a teatowel such as a narrowly necked bottle or the lid off a travel cup. On anything else it's simply not necessary.

The very first dish you wipe with that teatowel, you might get the film of soap and all the grease that soap has chemically bonded to off of that dish. And onto your tea towel, which is now dirty. From then on, you are mearely smearing around your soapy grease and leaving an invisible film residue.

Furthermore, soap does not actually clean. This is not intuitive since we've been taught by commercials and habit that soap = clean. Soap does a very specific job: it bonds chemically to oil and acts as a surfactant, which enables cleanliness. But what actually cleans is mechanical action (scrubbing) and hot water. The hotter the better; live steam sterilizes on contact, but merely very hot water does a fantastic job of cleaning. If you are only putting your dishes into warm soapy water and not then rinsing them with very hot running water, you're not really getting the soap off (unless you wipe every dish with a fresh clean cloth and you're extremely thorough about every crevice and cranny).

OK yes, soap is also antibiotic, and they add antibiotics to soap a lot these days (which is more or less entirely unnecessary and actually actively harmful).

My point here is that OK, your soapy dish you wiped off is cleaner than when it went into the sink, and if you're very thorough about wiping and swap cloths repeatedly you probably don't even really taste the remaining soap residue. But it's there, for sure, especially on any semiporous surface (most ceramics are at least semiporous). Soap is doing its job as a surfactant by clinging to a surface amazingly well, and the fact that it is water soluble is something to take advantage of by using a rinse to get it all off.

Also for further reading: http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2012/10/the-cultural-divide-on-washing-dishes-brits-vs-americans
A major reason why Brits often don't rinse their dishes is because they don't have a combined hot/cold tap that allows them to adjust the rinsing water to "quite hot but not so hot that you can't put your hands in it" which is of course the correct temperature to rinse at. That article is wrong in that it claims Americans never use dish racks (no idea where that idea came from) and it's also ignoring dishwashers.

Anyway I can prove I'm right by the fact that dishwashers all use a rinse cycle. Even the very water conservative ones. Dish cleanliness engineers highly trained in plate science and cup physics know that you need to rinse off the filthy grease-impregnated soap film in order to have an actually clean dish.

:colbert:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 13, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Fire Storm posted:

Depends. Our 6 year old Whirlpool Gold easily fits my 20qt pot. Honestly, bring the pot in when you go shopping. I brought in my stock pots when I went fridge shopping and was happy with the results. I just wish I did that with my stove/oven.

And built in disposals are wonderful.

And I miss my single large sink. DEATH TO THE 2 BASIN!

I did this with a pizza because the double ovens seemed short on the inside, the dude told us that we couldn't cook it there even though he was really hungry

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Anyway I can prove I'm right by the fact that dishwashers all use a rinse cycle. Even the very water conservative ones. Dishfucking engineers highly trained in plate science and cup physics know that you need to rinse off the filthy grease-impregnated soap film in order to have an actually clean dish.

And modern dishwashers on auto use a max of ~6.5 gallons of water. Good luck getting to that level in a sink. I believe ours uses 5.0-6.3 gallons, and I measured 1.0kwh of electricity on auto with sanitize off and Finish JetDry rinse agent.

Using "Eco" saves ~1 gallon of water but doesn't get your dishes clean unless you use more than a gallon of water prewashing. Never use it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

We've been playing a game where we keep feeding our new Bosch progressively dirtier, crustier dishes, and so far, we haven't beaten it, even on eco. A+

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

When I was dishwasher shopping, the sales dude put on a video from Bosch showing them putting in an entire frozen pizza and it being completely gone by the time the dishwasher was done.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

Solution to all these sink conundrums: get a large single sink. And then get another, right next to the first. Voila. No more counters, just sinks, sinks forever.

e: I mean, sinks and dishwashers, obviously

My counter is one long piss trough

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

FCKGW posted:

My counter is one long piss trough

Wrigley Field in your kitchen, nice.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

GreenNight posted:

When I was dishwasher shopping, the sales dude put on a video from Bosch showing them putting in an entire frozen pizza and it being completely gone by the time the dishwasher was done.

I am sold on this washer just by knowing that such a video exists.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bad Munki posted:

We've been playing a game where we keep feeding our new Bosch progressively dirtier, crustier dishes, and so far, we haven't beaten it, even on eco. A+

GreenNight posted:

Well that reached its logical conclusion pretty quickly.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Well that reached its logical conclusion pretty quickly.

Almost. How does the washer fair against concrete?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Almost. How does the washer fair against concrete?

The concrete will end up extremely clean.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think he's really asking about the weight capacity of the bottom rack.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Saving three gallons of water a week on your ultra-water-miser setting is offset by the 50 gallons of water you used watering your lawn once this month.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

I think he's really asking about the weight capacity of the bottom rack.

:negative:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GreenNight posted:

Dunno what brand it was, but here's a similar video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GSCubZXZDw

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GreenNight posted:

Holy poo poo, I must be a dishwasher

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

“Little to no remains“ - entire bottom of appliance covered in wet dough.

Also Matt needs to buy his lunch someplace else.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I'd buy the heck out of a glass front dishwasher.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I live in the UK and people that don't rinse dishes properly are going to be the first against the wall. My parents don't do it and it drives me loving mad when I visit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

They'll be in the queue behind those that put the milk in their tea before the water.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

McMansion Hell visits Australia! http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/157157014086/mcmansion-hell-australia-edition

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

there wolf posted:

What's the structural integrity of an Ikea cabinet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vai8xV6jD60
Should be fine. It is after all, just a bed. Not sure how it would hold up under vigorous sex but from the video I don't think that was a consideration. The cabinets used as steps might be more of an issue if people start bouncing on them doing dumb stuff for the internet, but is there anything that is truly safe from dumb stuff for the internet?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cakesmith handyman posted:

They'll be in the queue behind those that put the milk in their tea before the water.

That's just a holdover from the days when your inferior British porcelain would crack when hot water/tea was poured in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

peanut posted:

Our dishwasher is weak and loud. I only use it as an overflow drying rack after large meals.

I wash dishes by hand three times a day. My knuckles are splitting and my fingertips are like sandpaper.

Udder balm, my man. Saved my hands when doing dishes in restaurant dish soaps were eating the skin off.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Window tint is for the heat and neighbours aren't allowed to have side windows on 2 storey homes (based on sightlines.)
The patchy grass is probably due to water restrictions.
I hate corrugated iron roofs but they are very common here.

Apart from that they're right.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
gently caress living somewhere where I can”t have a window on the side of my house.

If you want windowless walls and useless side yards, build rowhouses.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

~Coxy posted:

... neighbours aren't allowed to have side windows on 2 storey homes (based on sightlines.)

Do you know this to be the case where this house is, or are you assuming based on rules where you live?

Because I've never heard of this and the concept seems alien. Do people not have blinds??

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 14, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah that listing is from my city.

Window tint is not terribly common but it adds a tonne of thermal reflectivity.
http://www.enerlogicfilms.com.au/enerlogic-35.php

----

Platystemon posted:

gently caress living somewhere where I can”t have a window on the side of my house.

You can have a window; you will just need to have a privacy screen or trees or something to block your sightline down into neighbouring yards.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 14, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

there wolf posted:

That's just a holdover from the days when your inferior British porcelain would crack when hot water/tea was poured in.

We fixed that problem in the traditional method. We invaded some fucker and stole theirs.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

~Coxy posted:

You can have a window; you will just need to have a privacy screen or trees or something to block your sightline down into neighbouring yards.

god i cant imagine living close enough to piss in my neighbors yard from the 2nd floor.. that would be horrible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

~Coxy posted:

What if I don’t install windows or trees, but do install security cameras?

e: I don't really care about the view; I just want the light. Are frosted windows acceptable?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Dunno.

Of course.

This is only for building approvals, if pathological neighbour X moves in after the habitability certificate is awarded and installs security cameras pointing into your backyard where you sunbathe nude and tears off the privacy film of his bathroom windows then you'll need to ask a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

there wolf posted:

So instead of just pre-heating the cup with some warm-but-not-boiling water before pouring hot water in, they decided that ruining the tea was a better method?