Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Well twitch streaming is playing

https://www.twitch.tv/sodapoppin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Looks like most streamers are mostly just messing with the effects, settings, and customization while they wait for a real amount players so matchmaking actually works.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'd just like to elaborate on this issue:

The South American "tribes" (probably a misnomer given that they were capable of large scale city building) didn't eschew iron due to lack of availability so much as lack of need. The circumstances that created the European arms race simply did not exist in South America. Heavy armor was wildly impractical due to sheer climate, the Spaniards rarely even wore their breastplates to avoid being cooked, and due to the ready availability of obsidian they already had pretty much all they needed in terms of weapons material. They had all they needed in terms of metals for tool making, there was little direct incentive to experiment further.

Weaponry had essentially nothing to do with the Spanish victory in South America. Plague did quite literally all the heavy lifting. Before the plague got in full swing, Cortez was little more than a curiosity and a mercenary playing the sides of the Aztec civil war.

Also worth noting that the Spanish actually ditched their armour in favour of the Incan heavy cloth armour when Pizarro made his push south. It wasn't even really about one group having better technology than the other; the Spanish and Portugese were fighting in an environment that was completely alien to them, while the Americans' weapons and armour was adapted to the environment.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dreylad posted:

Also worth noting that the Spanish actually ditched their armour in favour of the Incan heavy cloth armour when Pizarro made his push south. It wasn't even really about one group having better technology than the other; the Spanish and Portugese were fighting in an environment that was completely alien to them, while the Americans' weapons and armour was adapted to the environment.

It really cannot be overstated how apocalyptic the plagues were. Estimates of the dead can go anywhere as high as "approximately Black Death levels".

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

It really cannot be overstated how apocalyptic the plagues were. Estimates of the dead can go anywhere as high as "approximately Black Death levels".

It probably will always be guesswork, but I've seen estimates well beyond Black Death levels into the 90% range, based on 20th century small pox outbreaks in remote tribal groups in the Amazon and other remote locations in South America. To put that into perspective, that's possibly 100 million people or 1/5th of the Earth's total population at the time.

One of the greatest ironies for the Inca is that their famed highways helped speed up the transmission of small pox and other European diseases that would have otherwise taken decades to spread through the Andes.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 13, 2017

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It shouldn't be ignored that in many cases Europeans did in fact go the old "slaughtering of peoples" genocide route as well. Like in Haiti.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dreylad posted:

But the Spanish dominated virtually every military engagement that happened? I'm not sure your analysis provides a good explanation of that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, my bad on calling the indigenous peoples "tribes", really should have said "empires" or something like that. While the native American peoples were not nearly as advanced in areas such as metallurgy there's plenty of evidence to show that, from north to south, they were all rather advanced in such things as agriculture. The Americas are such a breadbasket because of generations upon generations of people that were tending them that are now more or less forgotten because they were wiped out in the span of a handful of generations. Lore, technology and customs simply forgotten and destroyed.

From what I understand, the Black Death/Plague was actually rather light compared to the effect Smallpox had on the native Americans. The plague could kill half to 2/3 of a European city. Smallpox would destroy closer to 95% of some native settlements. There was literally no resistance. A lot of what the settlers to the new world would see weren't so much the representatives of what they'd see 20, 10, or even 5 years ago. They were the Mad-Max survivors of a literal apocalyptic event.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I've been hyped to play Valkyrie ever since this game was announced, but goddamn there's no information out on it. Thankfully some streamboys go early access and are showcasing the other classes.

Cohhcarnage was playing Valkyrie and I got some screenshots of the moveset for anyone who shares my hype for spear lunging, shielding bashing, headbuttin' murder machine.

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 13, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Strudel Man posted:

But the Spanish dominated virtually every military engagement that happened? I'm not sure your analysis provides a good explanation of that.

The Spanish didn't really dominate any engagement without overwhelming support from native auxiliaries who resented living under the rule of Tenochtitlan or by simply capturing the Sapa Inca under a truce at Cajamarca before the Incan forces had a chance to engage the Spanish. And that also ignores the decades of active military resistance to Spanish colonial rule.

Darkmoon2k posted:

I've been hyped to play Valkyrie ever since this game was announced, but goddamn there's no information out on it. Thankfully some streamboys go early access and are showcasing the other classes.

Cohhcarnage was playing Valkyrie and I got some screenshots of the moveset for anyone who shares my hype for spear lunging, shielding bashing, headbuttin' murder machine.

Will the Valkyrie and other characters be out for release tomorrow or will we have to wait?

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 13, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Psycho Society posted:

It shouldn't be ignored that in many cases Europeans did in fact go the old "slaughtering of peoples" genocide route as well. Like in Haiti.

They did. But the Carribean and South America are literal apples and oranges.

Alkydere posted:

From what I understand, the Black Death/Plague was actually rather light compared to the effect Smallpox had on the native Americans. The plague could kill half to 2/3 of a European city. Smallpox would destroy closer to 95% of some native settlements. There was literally no resistance. A lot of what the settlers to the new world would see weren't so much the representatives of what they'd see 20, 10, or even 5 years ago. They were the Mad-Max survivors of a literal apocalyptic event.

I was indeed being generous. I try to lowball it as much as it is possible to lowball the absurdity that was native depopulation, simply because we can't nail down the exacts too much and probably never will.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 13, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Plenty of people streaming the campaign on twitch now

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

Dreylad posted:

Will the Valkyrie and other characters be out for release tomorrow or will we have to wait?

Yes all characters unlock tomorrow.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Darkmoon2k posted:

Yes all characters unlock tomorrow. in 7 hours

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dreylad posted:

The Spanish didn't really dominate any engagement without overwhelming support from native auxiliaries who resented living under the rule of Tenochtitlan or by simply capturing the Sapa Inca under a truce at Cajamarca before the Incan forces had a chance to engage the Spanish. And that also ignores the decades of active military resistance to Spanish colonial rule.
But they did dominate virtually every engagement, taking negligible losses, at least according to everything I've seen on the matter. Are you saying that's because they tricked the majority of the native warriors into supporting their own rule?

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Would you care to peruse our wine VOIP menu, Monsieur?

oh qui qui friend.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Theres a cool level where you fight on a frozen lake and the ice is breaking

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Strudel Man posted:

But they did dominate virtually every engagement, taking negligible losses, at least according to everything I've seen on the matter. Are you saying that's because they tricked the majority of the native warriors into supporting their own rule?

Yes. In the conquest of Mexico, Bernal del Castillo claimed Cortes supplemented Spanish numbers (roughly 1200-1500 Spaniards and slaves) with about 200 000 natives from Tlaxcallan and other dissident city-states.

In Guatemala, Pedro de Alvarado had by contemporary estimates 10 native soldiers for every Spanish soldier. So roughly 5000 to his 500.

In Peru, Pizarro lay siege to Cuzco with 200 Spaniards and 30 000 natives from groups that resisted Incan rule, as well as conquered Mesoamerican peoples.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Seeing some murmurs in the chat of the stream i'm watching atm about a Peacekeeper nerf being in? Anyone that can confirm?

edit: stream in question: https://www.twitch.tv/sacriel
i dont have audio on cause my ultra autismal d&d stream is on right now

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I got to play about two minutes of Lawbringer against a bot this morning before I had to go to work. His top heavy is a stun, he has a Kensei style dodge-grab that acts as a chain starter, and he has various options and mix-ups to respond to successful parries.

Plus he had a giant loving polearm and his executions are amazing. Can't wait to play more of him.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Haha drat, Valkyrie still has literally all the moves. I wonder how they ended up actually nerfing her.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Why isn't this poo poo out yet

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Why isn't this poo poo out yet

Too many raisins

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Darkmoon2k posted:

Wow, this is pretty wild.

Psycho Society posted:

Too many raisins

:golfclap:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

1500 posted:

Well twitch streaming is playing

https://www.twitch.tv/sodapoppin

i loving hate sodapoppin and it triggers me to infinity and back that people actually watch him

"PARRIED, BITCH!" - literally every time he parries a loving bot in single player

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I stumbled onto Sacriel's twitch when looking for For Honor streams and he seems pretty cool and chill so far. Right no he and a buddy are dueling to figure stuff out for the new classes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

panda clue posted:

i loving hate sodapoppin and it triggers me to infinity and back that people actually watch him

"PARRIED, BITCH!" - literally every time he parries a loving bot in single player

Pretty bad yeah but sounds par for the course for SUPER TWITCH PERSONALITIES.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I got to play about two minutes of Lawbringer against a bot this morning before I had to go to work. His top heavy is a stun, he has a Kensei style dodge-grab that acts as a chain starter, and he has various options and mix-ups to respond to successful parries.

Plus he had a giant loving polearm and his executions are amazing. Can't wait to play more of him.

I can't stress enough how excited I am to play Lawbringer. Unless it absolutely turns me off for some reason, I foresee it being my main from the outset. I loved the gameplay footage posted earlier.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Sooo the shugoki can execute instantly when he's on low health

Nov 3, 2015

panda clue posted:

lol ya I don't actually watch him, he was just the only one playing at the time. Watching this guy https://www.twitch.tv/sacriel who has a friend and they are testing and working with the new guys, trying what works and what does not.

loving turns out that if Shugoki has less then a bar of health, he gets an instant kill on others. It does full damage, and even kills you if you are revenged and full health.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

Garrand posted:

I stumbled onto Sacriel's twitch when looking for For Honor streams and he seems pretty cool and chill so far. Right no he and a buddy are dueling to figure stuff out for the new classes.

Sacriel and Fairlight_Excalibur are the only streamers actually testing out the Shugoki/Lawbringer/Valkyrie. Everyone else is playing the campaign or other poo poo I don't care about.

Shugoki has an attack that scales as his HP drops. If he has very very low HP he can one-shot you, even through revenge armor. I think it's an unblockable grab. (already mentioned by 1500)

Nov 3, 2015

oh and he heals you to almost full.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

1500 posted:

loving turns out that if Shugoki has less then a bar of health, he gets an instant kill on others. It does full damage, and even kills you if you are revenged and full health.

What

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

It's a slow unblockable grab in which he basically backbreakers you on his shoulder. If he's (the shugoki himself) in critical health it's an instant death by the looks of it. Also that same move heals the shugoki for some health.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
The attack we're talking about also consumes ~2 bars of health. It can't kill you, though. So you can force your HP low to try for the insta-gib.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
lol, 'realistic' difficulty on single player turns off the attack indicators.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Seeing some murmurs in the chat of the stream i'm watching atm about a Peacekeeper nerf being in? Anyone that can confirm?

edit: stream in question: https://www.twitch.tv/sacriel
i dont have audio on cause my ultra autismal d&d stream is on right now

Yea the nerf where her triple-stab does like 1 bar of damage instead of 1/3 of your hp

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

That shugoki thing better be easy as poo poo to avoid, all the same. Like a "congrats, you're dumb" punishment attack.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FunkMonkey posted:

That shugoki thing better be easy as poo poo to avoid, all the same.

I mean if its a super slow grab then it'll be useless against good players but drive new players insane. That's like the worst thing you can put in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

FunkMonkey posted:

That shugoki thing better be easy as poo poo to avoid, all the same. Like a "congrats, you're dumb" punishment attack.

Should be easy to attack him during it to stop it

I can imagine it getting annoying if a fat man is running around on the battlefield on low health killing people from behind instantly