Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/831225981079846913

quote:

From a basic math standpoint, funneling money into the arts is a big waste of resources. The US could of started almost a quarter of a brand new war with all the money we’ve wasted on Art in this country in the past 150 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

pft commenter is god's gift to the internet

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

empower women with new slogans on these zombified teenagers

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

rumble in the bunghole posted:

If you think anything more truly represents feminism than an industry based on drugging, starving, and molesting fifteen year old Eastern European girls then I don't even know what to say to you.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Destroying net neutrality is now incredibly woke

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/831253457948381185
https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/831258939220111360

quote:

In a little-noticed joint letter released last week, the NAACP, Asian Americans Advancing Justice, OCA (formerly known as the Organization for Chinese Americans), the National Urban League and other civil rights organizations sharply criticized the “jurisdictional and classification problems that plagued the last FCC” — a reference to the legal mechanism used by the Obama administration to accomplish net neutrality.

Instead of classifying broadband as a public utility, the letter states, open internet rules should be written by statute. What does that mean? It means the Republican-led Congress should take control of the process – the precise approach that is favored by industry.

None of the civil rights groups that signed the joint letter responded to a request for comment.

Fast Luck has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Feb 13, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

get that OUT of my face posted:

pft commenter is god's gift to the internet

Too bad half of the internet doesn't know he's joking.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

*decrys digital divide*
*Actively works against measures to improve things*
*~so woke~*

Garbage organizations. In the best case these organizations are too loving stupid to hold an opinion about why net-neutrality is important, but more likely they don't care as long as the leadership gets paid.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

it's so insidiously brilliant

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
A round of applause for whichever cabal that figured out how to exploit fractious identity politics to achieve their nefarious goals.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's happening because the Kochs are brilliant: https://www.democracynow.org/2015/7/15/strange_bedfellows_why_are_the_koch

Same thing is happening with energy: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/business/energy-environment/koch-brothers-fossil-fuels-minorities.html

"Solar power and net neutrality are racist" is coming and it's going to be loving hilarious.

call to action has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Feb 14, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

So basically old rich white men discovered that the most basic level of social justice doesn't actually hurt them and actually makes for additional avenues to apply leverage.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Divide and conquer is a pretty old strat.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh Snapple! posted:

So basically old rich white men discovered that the most basic level of social justice doesn't actually hurt them and actually makes for additional avenues to apply leverage.
I'd say there's actually zero level of social justice even involved, and that it's nothing more than bribing groups to give them PR cover as they attempt to vacuum up money from a new direction. These civil rights groups give mealy mouthed bs reasons for why allowing a new type of gouging for telecommunications giants will help poc get jobs or something and left opposition is divided.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

A round of applause for whichever cabal that figured out how to exploit fractious identity politics to achieve their nefarious goals.

It's capitalists.

What do I win?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

call to action posted:

It's happening because the Kochs are brilliant: https://www.democracynow.org/2015/7/15/strange_bedfellows_why_are_the_koch

Same thing is happening with energy: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/business/energy-environment/koch-brothers-fossil-fuels-minorities.html

"Solar power and net neutrality are racist" is coming and it's going to be loving hilarious.

Oh great D&D is going to extol the virtues of how leaded gasoline is progressive now

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

I wish I'd kept the forums quote where the guy expresses his gratitude for being introduced to privilege theory and the idea that he could be using his natural white privilege to much greater effect now that he was aware of it.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Mr. Block is absolutely required reading.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

i give it 50/50 that the one on the right is even aware she's wearing a hat.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/831545772474785792

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Democrats can use some applause these days i guess

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
purchase a bundle of completely random books and games that you either already own or aren't finished yet for FREEDOM, the FREEDOM BUNDLE
Buy Freedom while you can before we decide net neutrality is not freedom

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

you can give your money to either:
an organization who files counterlawsuits against a 90 day block on travel of people from specific countries

or

an organization that supports doctors who keep people who can't afford healthcare alive

TAKE YOUR PICK

SIGNAL YOUR VIRTUE

pro tip the 2nd one is the correct choice

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The ACLU owns

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress did you think going after the ACLU would be funnier than:

Information Doesn't Want To Be Free - Audiobook
Written by Cory Doctorow | Introductions by Neil Gaiman | & Amanda Palmer | Read by Wil Wheaton

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

devtesla posted:

Why the gently caress did you think going after the ACLU would be funnier than:

Information Doesn't Want To Be Free - Audiobook
Written by Cory Doctorow | Introductions by Neil Gaiman | & Amanda Palmer | Read by Wil Wheaton

Because it's fun having a woke-off in the thread making fun of corporations having a woke-off.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Going after the ACLU there is honestly a head-scratching avenue to take.

Tho I fully confess the internet has broken me on this poo poo and I probably read that wrong

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the aclu isnt bad its just i have a raging boner for doctors without borders because they do incredible work and i'd rather support them over anyone else any day

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Other then their dumb anti-gun stance, the ACLU are a great organization. Unfortunately they defend the fash, so I guess they need to be bashed :/

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

i think msf probably needs the money more after getting their hospitals bombed by the us

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Other then their dumb anti-gun stance, the ACLU are a great organization. Unfortunately they defend the fash, so I guess they need to be bashed :/

That's why I prefer the SPLC. They're at least neutral on the whole "should fash be bashed" issue.

That said, the only reason you shouldn't support organizations like these is if they basically do the minimum work required to be considered a charity.

Terror Sweat posted:

i think msf probably needs the money more after getting their hospitals bombed by the us

We're just going to do it again. :v:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the splc has ranked pepe as a hate symbol alongside burning crosses and swastikas

theyre a joke

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the ACLU are such 1st amendment absolutists that they supported the neo-nazi march through skokie (which caused my grandma to never give to them again) as well as the Citizens United ruling. they still do far more help than harm but they're not perfect

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

the splc has ranked pepe as a hate symbol alongside burning crosses and swastikas

theyre a joke

Tbf, that's something that pretty much everyone has accepted by now.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

the ACLU are such 1st amendment absolutists that they supported the neo-nazi march through skokie (which caused my grandma to never give to them again) as well as the Citizens United ruling. they still do far more help than harm but they're not perfect

protecting all speech is pretty much their greatest virtue

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

protecting all speech is pretty much their greatest virtue
true, but it does manifest itself in awful ways once in a while, like the two i mentioned. tbf i can't think of anything else, someone talked about their 2nd amendment stance but i don't know what that entails

you should still give to both organizations if able. ideological purity is for assholes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nothing is perfect, save for the word of Bernard Sanders.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
As long as you realize that a "first amendment above all" organization will never support "bash the fash", give away!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

call to action posted:

As long as you realize that a "first amendment above all" organization will never support "bash the fash", give away!

They do more stuff then defend speech, they are also big 5th amendment and due process advocates one of the only organizations i know of that do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

They do more stuff then defend speech, they are also big 5th amendment and due process advocates one of the only organizations i know of that do so.

The SPLC does it too.

Yes I'm going to shill the poo poo out of them.