Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darox
Nov 10, 2012

dpeg posted:

Yes, this is a good idea. I always thought we should have something like this. Not sure about the best style. I considered
code:
Currently: AC 15, EV 12, Stealth: +++++....
With this: AC 22, EV  4, Stealth: ++.......
This doesn't include accuracy (which is important), so that'd need another line. I'll bring this up in ##craw-dev.

IronicDongz posted:

I honestly think it's ok to leave out accuracy, I think it is rarely ever something which should make you choose lighter armor.
Also accuracy is invisible while those stats are very obvious and can be checked by wearing the armour, so it only makes sense the game should just tell you.

Whether accuracy should be invisible or not is another discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Ok that's good to know! And yeah this kinda confirms that, well, you just have to be in the know to make better decisions when allocating your XP and stat points. Not a problem once you've seen the math, at least.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I think the armour skill/AC relation is easier to understand if you know that 0 armour skill gives you 1x your total base armour value and 27 skill gives 2x base armour, and everything between is a linear progression.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Darox posted:

I think the armour skill/AC relation is easier to understand if you know that 0 armour skill gives you 1x your total base armour value and 27 skill gives 2x base armour, and everything between is a linear progression.

I checked the source and it looks like the value is

code:
// [ds] effectively: ac_value * (22 + Arm) / 22, where Arm = Armour Skill.
const int AC = base * (440 + skill(SK_ARMOUR, 20)) / 440;
So my rule of thumb would be easier (and more accurate) as

Levels for 1 AC = 22 / base_ac

Which means the robe user would get one every 3.7 levels, the scale mail user would get one every 2.2 levels, and the CPA user would get one every 1.2 levels.

I wouldn't mind the game being more open with numbers like this. As it stands there's no way to know the scale without looking up the numbers, and there's no way to look up the numbers without going directly to the source. It might also be prudent to remove some of the less relevant effects of skills such as missing due to armour.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Someone please advise me on how not to die horribly with this character. I feel very powerful offensively, and am getting close to having firestorm online, but I've been in some seriously terrifying situations re: my fragility lately and am running out of tele and blink scrolls. I'm particularly scared of heading to vaults now and dealing with centaur warriors and yaktaurs, since rMsl is gone, there have been no scarves in this game (I've actually never seen one at all since they were added?), and I don't think I have the xp to buy and train up dMsl.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'd get meat shields. Necromancy or summoning. Even butterflies would let you escape without using a teleport.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Going for LCS and earth magic instead of CL and air magic or all in for firestorm was not a move I would make.

Since you do have it you can take on elf though (the same is true if you had airstrike but :shrug:) and that should get you more XP and books for firestorm, regeneration, etc. If you obliterate yaktaurs as soon as you meet them (really easy with firestorm) and have regeneration you're fine. CL is better than firestorm when surrounded but ignition should help you out.

You can drop most of your low level spells, ask yourself honestly how much you use tongue/conjure flame/freeze now. That will make room for regeneration and possibly deflect.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

My thought with going for LCS was that I don't exactly have much for single targets, and fire-immune enemies have been beating me the hell up (since all I have for them is lightning bolt), so I wanted something to just delete targets. Doing elf 1 and 2 to get the exp for DMsl is a good idea, though.

I really, really don't like conjure ball lightning on a deep elf, my HP and defenses are low enough to begin with.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 13, 2017

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Conjure Ball Lightning is not Chain Lightning. Chain lightning does very little self damage even without rElec, and can do a lot more damage than LCS (at longer range and undodgable/unblockable as well) while also being able to hit multiple targets.

The only major advantage LCS has is being irresistible, but things that ignore fire and electricity damage are very far and few between and almost all of them are vulnerable to airstrike. Earth elementals are basically the only one pre-extended.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you follow Qazlal and summon allies, are they protected from the storm clouds as well?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I know Spectral Weapons aren't because I tried using it that last game I won.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

afaik, allies you summon from Qazlal (elementals) are protected, allies you summon through other means (butterflies, etc) are not.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

quote:

Finished a 15 runer on Trunk and played around with the new mutation potions a good bit. They are... ok.

I relied heavily on purple meat when I had a good mutation set and got malmutated. Had to cross fingers that the meat would move the bad muts and ignore the good ones. If I got real bad (teleport, berserk, two levels of scroll delay) I would just pop the potion. It basically was a full reset on the mutation set. If I got off worse just pop it again. I played most the game with decent mutations that changed out constantly and just a few bad ones. Not a horrible change.

Funnily enough I managed to get about 12 runes while keep one of my original mutations (dungeon sense) before finally losing it. It just kept getting passed up with all the rng getting thrown around.

My thoughts on mutation are essentially this -- that it's only good for removing a really bad malamute. So we've taken three potions (remove bad mutations, give good mutations, give whatever mutations) that serve three different purposes, and replaced it with one that really only does one thing well. It doesn't matter that Mutation gives you some good and some maybe good mutations -- when the next one you quaff will likely remove those right back.

I'd have been fine with benemut being rolled in with mutation, but cure mut being separate. Combining them in this way just makes them useless for everything other than removing malamute.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I just splatted my 26th DsSu. This time I got claws at D2 and then Mana shield so it was going to be a good unarmed run. Then...
code:
2429 araganzar the Martial Artist (level 9, -3/66 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Summoner on Feb 13, 2017.
             Slain by an ice devil (15 damage)
             ... summoned by an orc sorcerer
             ... led by an orc knight
             ... while paralysed by an orc sorcerer
             ... on level 7 of the Dungeon.
Summon demons, paralyze, and 3d17 fire and draining bolts, sounds fair for D7. I had also not found Oka by 2/3 through D7, which is one thing in this game that really pisses me off. If I'm not gonna find a god until after d7 you might as well not place an altar.

I also don't understand why the game spawns player ghosts on levels with one entry point. I lost a really good DsSu caster to Frances on D14 because there was a stupid powerful minotaur berserker ghost camping the entry stairs and I only had 1 teleport scroll. Ds caster does not have the xp to skip Lair or to take on low D uniques.

I am not an awesome player but I usually win 1/3 of my games when I am trying. There's a reason I did DsSu last but this has been really bad...

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

[TELL] me about DEFE 3-rune midgame becuase I can not for the life of me wrap my head around it. It seems like around the time you find Lair/Orc and start encountering beefier enemies like Hill Giants, Trolls, and whatnot, your survivability takes a nosedive while your offensive ability still isn't sufficient to get much done. You've got about enough mana for three fireballs, tops, and god help you in the majority of open-layout levels.

I get early game (train Fire Magic basically exclusively, conjure flame + flame tongue + corridors), and I sorta get the transition into midgame (start branching out into other magic schools based on what books you find, hope to god you find Minor Magic), but past that I can't seem to gain any traction when I run into beefier enemies or huge packs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You ever thought of bailing when you see those threats that early? Orc sorcerer AND Orc knight against a combo that doesn't have a "Remove threat" button would be one of the times I'd find the next stairs down and come back later. Sounds like you rolled pretty badly on the OOD spawn though. As for the ghost, that's procedural generation unfortunately working as expected. Summoners have the possibility of distraction by meatwalling enemies and then running off down a corridor out of line of sight; really difficult against a Hasted Frances (his spell list is really painful) but the ghost could have been ditched in that manner.

EDIT: ^ Train Spellcasting for MP so you aren't dry by three fireball castings. And don't branch out so early from your bread and butter, particularly on glass cannon combos that work because they can throw damage around. Maybe 3-4 levels for the utility spells but between Fire Magic and Conjurations you don't need another spell school for your damage until much later.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 13, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Yeah, DE has that glorious +3 spellcasting, so make use of that. More MP is good, more spell levels is good. "Fire magic almost exclusively" is a bad idea, you want to beeline Conj and have fire magic either equal to or behind it, since there are plenty of other conjurations you'll be making use of, but the only mono-fire thing I can think of that you'd be super interested in is Ignition, which is pretty late.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Who doesn't want to get firestorm up and running ASAP??

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
for a while conjure flame will also murder enemies that are willing to walk into it. you can place 3 conjure flames in a wall to prevent enemies like death yaks or hydras from walking around them, they aren't smart enough to walk more than 1 tile around flames

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

ChickenWing posted:

[TELL] me about DEFE 3-rune midgame becuase I can not for the life of me wrap my head around it. It seems like around the time you find Lair/Orc and start encountering beefier enemies like Hill Giants, Trolls, and whatnot, your survivability takes a nosedive while your offensive ability still isn't sufficient to get much done. You've got about enough mana for three fireballs, tops, and god help you in the majority of open-layout levels.

I get early game (train Fire Magic basically exclusively, conjure flame + flame tongue + corridors), and I sorta get the transition into midgame (start branching out into other magic schools based on what books you find, hope to god you find Minor Magic), but past that I can't seem to gain any traction when I run into beefier enemies or huge packs.

And that's Deep Elves for you. I get around that problem by being a Draconian, Tengu, whatever.

I'm currently running a Tengu Fire Elementalist on Trunk in order to try out Ignition.

I'm worshipping Vehumet and have gotten exceptionally lucky with int boosting items. Looks like Ignition is viable at 16-20 skill depending on how much rF you have in cast of miscasts. Given how I got it online while training up 15 shields, 14 polearms, and various other combat skills, I think it might not be that 'late' a spell, though Int boosters, vehumet, and "gourmand" have been a big help. It's pretty handy as long as two enemies are standing next to each other, but otherwise it's an overpriced fireball. As someone who isn't a dedicated caster, I'm quite happy using it instead of firestorm, taking only one skill to 16-18 instead of two to 22-26ish.

I decided to take it into the Elven Halls to try it out. Everytime I ran into an ambush, I had trouble not laughing like a Madman, it was that good. This lasted right up till the Elven Vault, where the specific layout made it much less effective. Thoughts for Tengu who has less magical versatility than Deep Elf. Orb of Destruction pretty good at handling dancing weapons, even if they got too close. More importantly, I forgot those Deep Elf Elementalists still had repel missiles and nearly died of overestimating Bolt of Fire. Thankfully, ?teleport worked out nicely, and I was a bit more on the durable side of skills and gear than your average elf. As long as even two elves were next to each other, Ignition was worth using (gourmand, again). While it won't classically miss, orb of destruction has that nasty tendency to bounce off shields and veer into walls. Bolt of Fire (as my direct attack), Orb of Destruction (as my don't loving miss attack), and Ignition (as my gently caress off attack) were all essential. With more spell levels (like a deep elf) I might have picked up Chain Lightning or LCS or had Firestorm or whatever already online.

In conclusion: Ignition is loving awesome but you absolutely can't rely on it if your enemies are likely to spread out. It was pretty awesome in the Vaults in general, however. I'm a little surprised you're running out of MP quite that quickly as a Deep Elf otherwise. I've been generally doing okay without any source of mana regen/channeling, though only through careful rationing. Your next game, mind sharing some dump files or dropping into the discord chatroom? What god are you usually picking up?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

LordSloth posted:

In conclusion: Ignition is loving awesome but you absolutely can't rely on it if your enemies are likely to spread out. It was pretty awesome in the Vaults in general, however. I'm a little surprised you're running out of MP quite that quickly as a Deep Elf otherwise. I've been generally doing okay without any source of mana regen/channeling, though only through careful rationing. Your next game, mind sharing some dump files or dropping into the discord chatroom? What god are you usually picking up?

Yeah I can post some dump files. I'm playing offline 0.19 so I don't have fancy new stuff like Ignition. I pretty exclusively go for vehumet godwise.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Blaster skilling is really easy for FE and AE. You can just run a 20/40/40% split in spellcasting/conj/element from the beginning. Eventually you have to diversify from fire (air elementalists don't, you can run freezing with pure conj/air and go all the way to chain lightning) but going spellcasting/conj/fire will take you all the way through lair pretty easily.

Three fireballs should be plenty for a giant/troll if you have the spell power and you can always use conjure flame and flame tongue to be more mana efficient.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Samog sucks and won't post this on his own.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/samog/morgue-samog-20170213-220244.txt

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Amulet of Rage and he didn't invoke it. SHAME.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

oh hey right i have a game in progress

http://pastebin.com/B2gjHCs0

wat do thread

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Are you leaving your XP distribution on automatic or something? You don't need most of those skills you invested in.

You should definitely know sticky flame and should also get mephitic and inner flame, you shouldn't have learned slow. I would not have gotten imp but it's okay.

vvv Don't use throw flame. Throw frost is good because freeze is melee range and icicle has double the mp cost, but throw flame is double the cost of flame tongue, nowhere near double the damage, and only has slightly more range.

Darox fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 14, 2017

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Stop training any other schools (but maybe get some Dodging) until you can cast Fireball reliably. Until then, use Conjure Flame traps and pepper them with Throw Flame, or kite dudes while they burn with Sticky Flame.

Don't train any weapons or Fighting until much later.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Almost any enemies that are willing to walk into conjure flame will die to it before they kill you, even as DE

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

Almost any enemies that are willing to walk into conjure flame will die to it before they kill you, even as DE

I think a 7+ hydra has a good chance of munching up a DE in robes with low defensive skills trained.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If you chain a string of four conjured flames the hydra will happily march along it and burn up (or reach you almost dead and die to sticky flame) but yes you should be careful about things like hydras/elephants/etc when you only have a single fire.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Internet Kraken posted:

I think a 7+ hydra has a good chance of munching up a DE in robes with low defensive skills trained.

If you trained at least a little bit on dodging/fighting you only want to stick around for 1 turn tops in front of a big hydra, but you can use that 1 turn using sticky flame or something else to finish them off while on top of a flame cloud. Without fireball spam or some other way to soften them up though, for a healthy hydra 3+ flame clouds is pretty much implied; no way they'll be weak enough with only 1 flame cloud while you act as a meat shield.

e: On another note 4 orange crystal statues were guarding this gem of a shield:

apple fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 14, 2017

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Darox posted:

Are you leaving your XP distribution on automatic or something? You don't need most of those skills you invested in.

You should definitely know sticky flame and should also get mephitic and inner flame, you shouldn't have learned slow. I would not have gotten imp but it's okay.

vvv Don't use throw flame. Throw frost is good because freeze is melee range and icicle has double the mp cost, but throw flame is double the cost of flame tongue, nowhere near double the damage, and only has slightly more range.

I accidentally left it on for the first couple levels :downs: What skills don't I need? I figured tloc for blink, charms(?) for rmsl, summoning for imps. Short blades was accidental, and staves was because I thought having staves skills was important >.>

I keep forgetting sticky flame because I'm bad. I wasn't sure how long meph was useful - when does it stop being helpful? Slow was an accident, imp was a "oh hey thread said this was useful" - train - "wait, thread said this was useful for early game...poo poo."

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

- Level 0.1 Fighting
- Level 1.0 Short Blades
+ Level 4.2 Staves
- Level 0.4 Throwing
- Level 2.5 Dodging
- Level 2.7 Stealth
- Level 5.1 Spellcasting
- Level 8.4 Conjurations

- Level 8.2 Charms
- Level 4.0 Summonings
- Level 6.4 Translocations
- Level 12.3 Fire Magic
Skills in bold you should be training. Skills in italics you should train eventually (around mid-end lair). The rest you don't need to train at all in the early to mid game (and some, never). For things like repel missiles or blink you can run them almost entirely off your spellcasting skill and int without any skill in the relevant school. You may want to get a small investment (like 4 levels) to get the failure down for blink but anything beyond that is excessive.

Mephitic starts dropping off in lair, but is still useful for Orc and can find some use in deeper dungeon, elf & shoals.

You don't need weapon skills and definitely don't need staves skill.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

welp

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

code:
     0 | D:1      | samog the Minotaur Monk began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 19/19 MP: 0/0
    11 | D:1      | You fall through a shaft!
    11 | D:2      | Found a runed door.
    11 | D:2      | Noticed Crazy Yiuf
    22 | D:2      | Slain by Crazy Yiuf
Legends never die.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I have a newb question. If you're starting as a conjurer or other class that has no weapon, is there a particular weapon type to look out for? obviously stuff with a good brand is best, but I don't know if a spear or dagger or hand axe is better with 0 weapon skill.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cicadalek posted:

I have a newb question. If you're starting as a conjurer or other class that has no weapon, is there a particular weapon type to look out for? obviously stuff with a good brand is best, but I don't know if a spear or dagger or hand axe is better with 0 weapon skill.

I've heard long blades for the ripostes, but I have no clue how accurate that is.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Cicadalek posted:

I start as Wizard a lot and grab slings, bows, and blowguns whenever I can because magic dart is a loving piece of poo poo.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I have a new favorite way to clear Vaults:5.

Step 1: Read a scroll of Immolation
Step 2: Cast Ignition
Step 3: Profit.

First, everyone explodes simultaneously. Then, they explode again one-by one. It is beautiful. :tif:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

With 0 or very low weapon skill biggest weapons are generally best, but require knowing when it is and isn't safe to attack and give enemies double turns.

Type doesn't matter that much when you're not training them, just whatever you find first. That way you aren't risking extra curses, until you find some weapon that you like (quarterstaff, fast venom/pain/elec weapon, well-enchanted artefact, etc)

• Locked thread