Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

MisterBibs posted:

If you're going to say "diagetic music", you just say "the music inside the movie the characters hear too".

Oh yeah that's much simpler :frogbon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
so i decided to watch billions, the showtime show with paul giamatti and that dude from homeland about financial crime

the literal first scene is a hog tied paul giamatti in his underwear with a belt in his mouth getting a cigarette put out on his chest by dominatrix maggie siff who then pisses on him

so that's a thing

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
wow that's so loving edgy

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

so i decided to watch billions, the showtime show with paul giamatti and that dude from homeland about financial crime

the literal first scene is a hog tied paul giamatti in his underwear with a belt in his mouth getting a cigarette put out on his chest by dominatrix maggie siff who then pisses on him

so that's a thing

How much did he pay for her services?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Magic Hate Ball posted:

wow that's so loving edgy

it's hilarious

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh yeah that's much simpler :frogbon:

Well, you're going to invariably say it anyway because 'diegetic' ain't exactly a word most people use on a regular basis, so why not skip the step where you're using a pretentious term just to make yourself seem more knowledgeable?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

MisterBibs posted:

Well, you're going to invariably say it anyway because 'diegetic' ain't exactly a word most people use on a regular basis, so why not skip the step where you're using a pretentious term just to make yourself seem more knowledgeable?

It's a pretty standard word when talking about film stuff, and it has a specific meaning that captures a concept that would otherwise be annoying to have to describe and re-describe when talking about it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MisterBibs posted:

A word isn't pretentious just because you had to look it up once, hth

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

because it's a fairly common film term you ignorant gently caress

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MacheteZombie posted:

is this in a real video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71RJJ0umdjQ&t=3846s

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe
Learning new words is cool, and good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's a pretty standard word when talking about film stuff, and it has a specific meaning that captures a concept that would otherwise be annoying to have to describe and re-describe when talking about it.

You don't need to describe and re-describe it if you don't use a term in the first place, especially in the context of talking to people who don't regularly speak in artsy-fartsy terms about movies (which I believe was the original context we're discussing).

I mean, poo poo, go nuts over diegesis and mise en scène and the like if you're talking to a film buff. But in the context of talking about movies with regular-rear end people (or regular rear end-people), yeah, just use "in-movie music" or something. Don't be that hockey guy who thinks the person cheering for the Blackhawks needs to know the intricacies of the dump-and-chase to really enjoy the game.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
i mean if you're talking to some jumbo smoothbrain then yeah

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
A newspaper gave every mayoral candidate the Voight-Kampf test back in 2003. Gavin Newsom won, he's currently the Lieutenant Governor of California and very clearly a replicant.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

If I'm talking about diegetic music in a movie I use diegetic, but I don't think I've ever used the term in any other context. vOv

More importantly, I finally started up Dark Archie and I'm really digging it. I hope Archie stays as much of a complete pud as he is so far, the contrast between him and all the other Dark Teens rules.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"Man, this burger is really non-diegetic."

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

You don't need to describe and re-describe it if you don't use a term in the first place, especially in the context of talking to people who don't regularly speak in artsy-fartsy terms about movies (which I believe was the original context we're discussing).

I mean, poo poo, go nuts over diegesis and mise en scène and the like if you're talking to a film buff. But in the context of talking about movies with regular-rear end people (or regular rear end-people), yeah, just use "in-movie music" or something. Don't be that hockey guy who thinks the person cheering for the Blackhawks needs to know the intricacies of the dump-and-chase to really enjoy the game.

Right so always underestimate people, gotcha

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you think film studies words are obfuscating and confusing you should try film production lingo. It's like people think they're being bugged and need to talk in code to confuse the Feds.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Inherit the Wind, Jaws and Key Largo are on TCM tonight.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

LesterGroans posted:

Inherit the Wind, Jaws and Key Largo are on TCM tonight.

[throws up hands] What is this jargon, talk like a normal person

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's all Greek to me

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If your don't know what a word someone is using means, you can just ask them or look it up.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I appreciate when the stuff I read/watch doesn't talk down to me. When I hear or read words I don't know I look them up and then I know them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Film production lingo is loving stupid.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

"Now when the car enters the shot-"

*extremely Mister Bibs voice*"Um cut down on the jargon please."

"Anyway, if you listen to the dialogue..."

"Dialogue?" *Bibsing intensifies*

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"adam and even on a raft, and wreck 'em"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzggK5DRBA

Edit: The comments are about what you'd expect too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The alt right are already threatening boycotts of Netflix because of that show becausr I guess they want Netflix to be a safe space from having to hear about safe spaces

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

The alt right are already threatening boycotts of Netflix because of that show becausr I guess they want Netflix to be a safe space from having to hear about safe spaces

One of the Good Ones posted:

Dear fellow black people, stop killing your children by the millions in planned parenthood murder shops and claiming that black lives matter. Stop becoming underage, unwed, ill prepared mothers and raising the generation of men and women that do survive in single parent homes

"Planned Parenthood is evil, and also do a better job planning your parenthoods."

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Jenny Angel posted:

[throws up hands] What is this jargon, talk like a normal person

That Ape school Movie, Shark mouth and Florida crook are on tonight.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MisterBibs posted:

so i guess you're a loving (literally means having sex, but connotatively simply means extremely in a negative sense) idiot (someone who is not very intelligent, derives from outdated psychiatric (the study and treatment of mental illness (sickness, disease)) terminology) huh

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

FYI, I used to live in a mostly Tea Party town and the most rented movie for the county was Brokeback Mountain for a while.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jenny's list of hilarious John Wick scenes makes me extremely happy cause I was cackling like an idiot during all of them.

Also the sister's entire death scene. Even JW can't understand how he stumbled into the last act of a Greek tragedy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watched John Wick 2 recently. Remembered I had a great double feature with John Wick/The Guest. What would be a great similar double feature to do with Collateral? Or are there two action movies that would work better?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzggK5DRBA

Edit: The comments are about what you'd expect too.

I think the sentiment "IF I MADE A SHOW CALLED DEAR BLACK PEOPLE THERE WOULD BE RIOTS" has been said approximately 800 billion times since that trailer hit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Skwirl posted:

"Planned Parenthood is evil, and also do a better job planning your parenthoods."

"Also this is all your fault entirely"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Also this is all your fault entirely"

"Also, wearing a condom or taking the pill is just as bad as abortion"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I think the sentiment "IF I MADE A SHOW CALLED DEAR BLACK PEOPLE THERE WOULD BE RIOTS" has been said approximately 800 billion times since that trailer hit.

Telling people to stop being racist is the real racism, you know?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Telling people to stop being racist is the real racism, you know?

It's White Genocide(tm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Relevant point:

I don't recall ever having to define the word 'diegesis' for anyone, but I've had to reexplain the concept of racism over a dozen times in just the last year.

• Locked thread