Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

OSI bean dip posted:

Yeah. Our MBA-having former Prime Minister did a great job.

Who was the last prime minister that had an MBA? I don't know off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
he means harper and harper had a masters in economics from the prestigious, internationally applauded university of calgary

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

namaste faggots posted:

he means harper and harper had a masters in economics from the prestigious, internationally applauded university of calgary

The Haskayne School of Business was ranked 82nd in the world by The Economist in 2010 :colbert:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hurrah! go canada!!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z9d1sk3N-M

my heart well with pride

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

namaste faggots posted:

hurrah! go canada!!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Subjunctive posted:

No, I mean so that the medication can be administered weekly instead of daily. I'm not talking about tapering, just extending the delayed-release capability from 12 hours to a week or 10 days.

In a world where people are 100% compliant with their medications sure but what's your backup plan when someone can't remember if they took their psych meds yesterday and end up getting double a week's dose cause they figured they didn't?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Eej posted:

In a world where people are 100% compliant with their medications sure but what's your backup plan when someone can't remember if they took their psych meds yesterday and end up getting double a week's dose cause they figured they didn't?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
the last pic is of canpol dignitary THC's hero and DTES MP

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Decades of systematic gentrification starting in the 1980s and a dismantling of mental health services started by the Socreds, continued by the NDP, and made worse by the BC Liberals.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Please tell me that sign is on the highway of tears

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jenny is good people

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eej posted:

I mean for supervised administration. Weekly direct supervision is much less invasive than daily.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 9, 2022

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
let's see

-defending money laundering
-siphoning money from a DTES charity for vacations (and a shady loving charity at that)
-lives in multimillion dollar house in kits

makes 167k/year

Dan Small, her ex husband is adjunct prof at UBC and make so little he doesn't even make the salary list.

so yeah good people i guess

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/portland-hotel-society-audit-reveals-limos-cruises-luxury-hotels-1.2580427

quote:

The B.C. government has released details of a damning audit that shows a non-profit group that looks after some of Canada's poorest citizens spent thousands of dollars on lavish hotels, limousine rides, expensive dinners and even a trip to a Disney resort.

Separate financial reviews examining expenses by the Portland Hotel Society — which runs Canada's only supervised injection site — have uncovered alleged misuse of corporate credit cards, unsupported expenses and inadequate criminal record checks.

The audit report released on Thursday detailed over $8,600 spent on limousine rides last year, a stay in a British hotel that cost almost $900 per night, and a trip for two adults and two children to the Disney resort in Anaheim, Calif., at a cost of more than $2,600.

Read: Access the full audit report here (PDF)
Among the "questionable expenses" identified by the report are:

$678.23 for a limousine trip for 11 individuals from Fairmont Pacific Rim to Grouse Mountain and then to a PHS director’s house.
$8,657.96 in limousine charges by an executive director in 2013.
$8,323.22 on travel to the U.K. to look into heroin prescription programs and for other business purposes, including a hotel room costing £478 ($887) per night and a £35 ($65) charge for flowers.
$5,850.20 on travel to Austria to teach harm reduction practices including one night in a luxury king-size room at $549 per night.
$3,175.12 on travel to Bristol for business purposes, including one £288 ($535)-per-night room and one £420 ($780)-per-night room, and charges relating to alcohol and spa services and £25 ($46) on flowers.
$1,636.51 at a restaurant for a staff appreciation event.
$2,694.95 for the Disney Resort Grand Anaheim for two adults and two children, including a room upgraded to accommodate a director in poor health.
$5,950 on Transat Holidays. No receipt or documentation was provided for this transaction.
$8,900 spent on a minibus and driver in the United Kingdom.
$917.83 for a staff baby shower.
$1,807.68 for a staff Christmas dinner.
$7,024.72 for a celebration of life for a deceased employee.
$1,600 in monthly expenses charged to PHS by the executive directors for use of office space within the residence they share. In addition, improvement expenses such as cabinets were also charged to PHS.
$5,832 reimbursed for the purchase of a Danube cruise made on what appears to be a personal credit card of a PHS director.

From two years ago. I guess you could argue you get PTSD working on the DTES so you need to blow off steam by taking lots of vacations on the charity dime

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

Unless we're talking about the person administering their own medication ideally I'd hope that the location they're getting it from would keep that sort of information on file.

This is likely extremely naive.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 26, 2018

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
The idea that government is supposed to be efficient is ludicrous.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

James Baud posted:

The last few days I've been getting the scoop on yet another particular mismanaged charity's spending from someone involved in getting them their initial funding from both the government and private sector, doing a lot of their preliminary budgets and whatnot.

Apparently the people in charge thought the budget was just lies to get the government to fork over the grant bucks and that hiring all their friends into positions managing programs they haven't actually arranged funding to implement was the way to go.

For some reason my source is trying to save them just to see more of the same instead of letting the whole thing burn. And oh, the push back she's getting!

The way people spend other people's money....... Sometimes I don't know how anyone can be pro big government. At least without way more transparency than exists. People barely watch the feds... What happens in provincial and lower levels is nuts.

If you would actually post the charity in question I'm sure it would make for very interesting discussion, but Jesus Christ every post you make reads like a comment from a CBC article

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you would actually post the charity in question I'm sure it would make for very interesting discussion, but Jesus Christ every post you make reads like a comment from a Sun article

Fixed that for you. James Baud is too good for the CBC.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

please don't dox me

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

James Baud posted:

The last few days I've been getting the scoop on yet another particular mismanaged charity's spending from someone involved in getting them their initial funding from both the government and private sector, doing a lot of their preliminary budgets and whatnot.

Apparently the people in charge thought the budget was just lies to get the government to fork over the grant bucks and that hiring all their friends into positions managing programs they haven't actually arranged funding to implement was the way to go.

For some reason my source is trying to save them just to see more of the same instead of letting the whole thing burn. And oh, the push back she's getting!

The way people spend other people's money....... Sometimes I don't know how anyone can be pro big government. At least without way more transparency than exists. People barely watch the feds... What happens in provincial and lower levels is nuts.

Let me guess, Atira?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/acoyne/status/831304692177174528

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Where are your constant predictions of O'Leary not getting the nomination?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

OSI bean dip posted:

Where are your constant predictions of O'Leary not getting the nomination?

you know how much i care who gets nominated cpc leader

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

you know how much i care who gets nominated cpc leader

Nnnnggg....

so much...

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
But if they cap daycare costs won't that just incentivize for-profit daycare to cram increasing numbers of kids into each center with inadequate supervision to maintain their margins?

Or are you hoping for strict regulations on both costs and capacity, and private enterprise will enter the market out of the goodness of their hearts?

Or, wait, is this one of those cases where it should be a government service, since it's necessary for the public good, but at odds with for profit business?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Personally I don't believe this excuse but it's hilarious. The reason there are so few daycares in Vancouver is because the city imposes unreasonably stringent standards on the facilities that house daycares. Like there has to be a certain amount of natural light that illuminates the daycare, there has to be a minimum of x square feet of play area etc.

The solution, fair goons, allow daycares to be housed in warehouses segmented with chain link fencing.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
sounds like the daycare market is ripe for disruption. we need an uber for daycare so we can connect studio basement apartment dwellers with needy children

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Or more appropriately a Grindr for childcare right

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

too late: https://ridezum.com/index.html

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Alright, fine, I'll bite, since I work pretty closely with the mental health systems and I was told I should post.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about the mental health systems both forensic (criminal) and civil, how the two interact, when treatment can and can't be mandated, and how this all interacts with someone like Mr. Baker. This leads to a lot of people getting up in arms about why isn't he supervised oh no it'll be like two weeks and there'll be a murder-gore fest. There won't be, and thinking there will be is part of the broader stigmatization of mental illness and people living with mental illness. It's unfair, unjustified, and stereotypical.

The first misconception is with regards to dangerousness. Most people living with a mental disorder, even schizophrenia, are not dangerous. Even untreated, most are no more dangerous than the average person. Bizarre and eccentric, perhaps even a nuisance, but not dangerous. Schizophrenia in particular is often accompanied by a number of negative symptoms including amotivation, low energy, and cognitive impairment that slows them down, even to the point they might not be taking care of themselves. Most of the time, if a person with a major mental disorder is in crisis, the person greatest at risk is themselves.

The second misconception surrounds what we call insight. People living with mental illnesses are, in fact, capable of learning about their diagnosis. They can learn to understand the need for the medication, and when and how often they take it. They can be capable of self-identifying early changes of deterioration. They can have close relationships with their psychiatrists and support networks, which can include both professionals and lay people like family and friends. Most people with mental illnesses have this figured out. They take their medication regularly, and some even choose to take a monthly injection because it's more convenient and gives them the certainty they aren't missing a dose.

Insight isn't always easy to find, though, especially when the person hasn't been diagnosed, or only recently diagnosed. The tragedy of a mental illness is that it affects a person's perception of reality, so understanding why the world suddenly feels like a horror movie isn't easy. As people have pointed out, the medication can be extremely sedating, the side-effects can be atrocious, and it can take years or even decades for people to find a combination of medications that works for them and a psychiatrist and team that they can trust. The other problem is that if the right combination of medications hasn't been found yet, the person's symptoms might still be there and interfere with the development of insight.

That's where the third misconception I want to talk about comes in: mandated treatment. For better or for worse, legislatures have given medical professionals the option of overriding a person's normal ability to consent to treatment and to detain them. This is of course intrusive, and violates the right to liberty and security of the person, but the various legal frameworks have a few built in oversight options. The problem with mandated treatment is that it is mandated. No one likes to be forced to do anything, and when you impose a restrictive regime on a person it isn't exactly conducive to developing a good therapeutic relationship. This is where you run into those people who might cycle into and out of the mandated treatment system, only getting treatment when someone else notices they might get into trouble.

But not everyone needs mandated treatment, and not everyone who enters mandated treatment is doomed to cycle through it forever. Some people hit on a good combination of medication, and this clears their mind enough for them to develop insight. Others find a team they like and can trust, and are willing to work with them until things get better. Some people never develop insight, but drat if the medication helps them to get a good night's rest, they'll keep on taking it. Sometimes getting to this point might take one, ten, twenty, or no periods of mandated treatment.

The last misconception people often have surrounds the forensic system and the Review Boards, which is where we come to Mr. Baker. If a person is found Not Criminally Responsible by Mental Disorder, they were not capable of forming the necessary mental element to be guilty of a crime. But it does usually mean that they may pose a significant risk, and so long as they do, the Review Boards' task is to assess what that risk is and what supervision is necessary to protect the public from that risk. The Criminal Code authorizes a number of steps and degrees of detention and supervision that might be necessary to protect the public, but it is also important to recognize that a person found NCRMD is not guilty and therefore entitled to the broadest liberties possible within what is necessary to protect the public. But fine, if you're up in arms about this, you probably don't care about that.

So what does absolute discharge mean? It means the Review Board found a person not to be a significant risk. To get there, in all likelihood, Mr. Baker demonstrated the necessary insight to fall into that category of people who do not need mandated treatment. It doesn't mean he doesn't need treatment, it means that he demonstrated that he knows he needs treatment and has the necessary supports on discharge from the forensic system. There is no way that doesn't include a psychiatrist and other necessary supports, and if anything changes. It also knows he's shown them he knows what triggers, destabilizes, and stresses his disorder and what he needs to do to protect himself from those factors.

Insight is also impossible to fake, and the forensic psychiatrists view any defect, any reluctance to talk about or disclose the smallest thing as a sign that insight as imperfect. And they're very clear about risk implications in this regard with the Review Board. For anyone to be viewed as a 'model patient' for as long as Mr. Baker, he had be doing very very well in this and other aspects of his treatment.

But, in the end, if you're still upset, try to remember the recidivism rate for people after absolute discharge is minuscule compared to the prison system. As far as actually achieving rehabilitation, the forensic psychiatric system has been remarkably successful.

As for Mr. Baker, I'm glad he's understood his diagnosis and found medication and doctors that will work for him. He still has to live with his past, and that's punishment enough as far as I'm concerned.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
No u R Rong because my gut tells me otherwise and if there's anything I'm good at its ignoring people with expertise and deep insight and trusting my gut instead

- jordan

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

hahaha i loving hate the 21st century

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

namaste faggots posted:

No u R Rong because my gut tells me otherwise and if there's anything I'm good at its ignoring people with expertise and deep insight and trusting my gut instead

- jordan

if your gut tells you things maybe you should see a doctor about your mental health

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

RBC posted:

hahaha i loving hate the 21st century

tbf the 20th century was mostly bad too. like maybe we hit kind of a socioeconomic sweet spot in the 90's an 00's until the terrorists won, and the 70's might have been pretty cool if you were white, but everything outside of that is just like getting sent to war and lovely racism/sexism all over the place.

Also the video games were bad and or non existent. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This was a good post, thanks. Food for thought at least.

e: lol the avatar isn't as bad as I expected