Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Deakul posted:

Getting hung up on some chick's face that we're all just going to change anyways, good times.

I'm not going to change them

screwing around with the CC is an exercise in learning how much you don't know about making good faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Geostomp posted:

Perhaps one day Bioware will learn to adapt real human faces to create something that doesn't look like it was made of rejected silly putty.

OG male shep looked good. Why can't they just do that again

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Ainsley McTree posted:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Speak for yourself, I spent hours creating unspeakable monstrosities in DA:I before I finally perfected all my characters into sexy elf babes and horned wizards.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Likely the different engine creates complications. Frostbite is really good at environments and destruction, but had to be tortured and twisted into something they could do RPGs with for Inquisition. And it is probably the same story for Mass Effect. So maybe they could have made good default face captures, but dedicating the resources to it would have meant cutting something else, and then those people would be the ones bitching.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The Female Main Character Is Not Hot Enough

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nerdz posted:

The Female Main Character Is Not Hot Enough

Not enough quarian sweat? If only the bioware forums weren't closed down and we could get answers to the questions that really matter.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
She really looks like a bad artists character mod.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

nerdz posted:

To be fair, that's a rather unflattering angle with a different focal length. If they took the real model pic the same way without makeup (and the ridiculous amount of post processing), that's probably what she looks like.
Come on, Sarah Ryder looks like poo poo.

JawKnee posted:

I'm not going to change them

screwing around with the CC is an exercise in learning how much you don't know about making good faces
This.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Maybe someone who's good at making faces in the character creator can recreate Default Shepard.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ainsley McTree posted:

Normal Shep was good but some of the fan designed ones were great. I'm currently doing an Obama-Shep run for the first time and it's hilarious.

I wish they would release an internet version of the face creator so people could design a lot of good faces before launch.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Hmm.. she isn't black, Scottish, or one-eyed

I'll need to put some work into the character editor

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Come on guys, don't you think you're being a little too harsh on little known indie developer Bioware for rigging up a bad face model? They're on a budget here.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The best character creator was the start of Mario 64 when you could use your cursor to pull and stretch Mario's face. Nothing else has been as entertaining or intuitive. Maybe I'll play as MarioShep in honour of it.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Aren't there no shaders or something in the character kits? Like the character kit for Vetra looks equally awkward but she looks fine in actual game screen shots.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

This is kinda the situation I'm mentioning here.

I really don't know much about 3D modeling but from my photography experience her face looks nothing out of the ordinary to me. It sure is bland, though. It's their own fault for presenting the character in such an unappealing way.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I don't think whoever did the facial capture is the same person rigging the lighting.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Yeah I don't really see the problem. She looks normal to me and I won't bother editing her.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

nerdz posted:

This is kinda the situation I'm mentioning here.

I really don't know much about 3D modeling but from my photography experience her face looks nothing out of the ordinary to me. It sure is bland, though. It's their own fault for presenting the character in such an unappealing way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFeUrC2gR30

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

homullus posted:

Yeah I don't really see the problem. She looks normal to me and I won't bother editing her.

the problem is somehow related to cultural marxism and white genocide if the twitter accounts sharing those comparisons are anything to go by

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I don't get the hate for that character model, she looks like a normal 18-25 year old woman. I agree she ain't some super model avatar of perfection but she looks like a totally normal person yet has a face that is distinct enough to remember. I would think they intentionally posed her in those poses to make her look like a young and nerdy explorer and not a self confident badass like Shepard. Some improvements can be made with shading etc but that is likely due to the engine rendering rather than the character model itself.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think it is also worth mentioning that the image everyone is comparing to is from the character kit which is for cosplayers to see the costume, not about the face. She looks different in in game lit environments.

Now the in game stuff has it's own uncanny valley stuff but mass effect has always had some of that. :shepface:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Wasn't there something about the player sibling's face being gender-bent and applied to the non-player sibling? Would explain why she has such a thick jaw compared to the human model they based her on if they had to build an androgynous head morph for both siblings to derive from.

Dark Souls 2 has a gender-bender coffin that does this gender flip automatically, and it's possible that the two games use the same third-party face modelling software library.

(now if only ME:A actually wires up the slider GUI correctly, unlike every single Fromsoft game)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zudgemud posted:

I don't get the hate for that character model, she looks like a normal 18-25 year old woman. I agree she ain't some super model avatar of perfection but she looks like a totally normal person yet has a face that is distinct enough to remember. I would think they intentionally posed her in those poses to make her look like a young and nerdy explorer and not a self confident badass like Shepard. Some improvements can be made with shading etc but that is likely due to the engine rendering rather than the character model itself.

The main problem is that her face in motion looks like Marshmallow Creep's avatar; i.e, absolute garbage.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bioware is reaching new heights of player immersion by allowing you to RP as a person as bland looking as you are IRL

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/13/14601142/mass-effect-andromeda-comic-discovery

Sneak peek at new comic series. Follows an undercover turian agent infiltrating the Andromeda Initiative.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Sneak peek at new comic series. Follows an undercover turian agent infiltrating the Andromeda Initiative.

The most exciting part of that comic is an ad at the very bottom letting me know that Swamp Thing will be a character in Nether Realm's fighting game Injustice 2.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Bioware is reaching new heights of player immersion by allowing you to RP as a person as bland looking as you are IRL

I would be ok with this also. I am tired of the default heroes being Stubblejaw Angloname and his female counterpart.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hedrigall posted:

why do you need to infiltrate the andromeda initiative anyway

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Deakul posted:

Getting hung up on some chick's face that we're all just going to change anyways, good times.

"the developer doesn't have to do work because we'll do it for them"

Good to see Bioware is becoming Bethesda for weirdo obsessive fans.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedrigall posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda:Witcher 4, XCOM 3, Rogue One 2.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Milky Moor posted:

why do you need to infiltrate the andromeda initiative anyway

Because you weren't invited to the party but you REALLY wanted some cake.

Or you were from a private company and a little corporate espionage is par for the course. Gotta steal them secret technologies!!!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Apparently this guy has the same last name as Nyreen from Omega.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

marshmallow creep posted:

Apparently this guy has the same last name as Nyreen from Omega.

Whats the bet this dude goes missing in the comic while investigating the initiative and this is why we have lady turian squadmate.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

"the developer doesn't have to do work because we'll do it for them"

Good to see Bioware is becoming Bethesda for weirdo obsessive fans.

I dunno man, the facemaking in Fallout 4 was pretty good and intuitive to use. I mainly accidentally created several good-looking characters, spending about 20 minutes on each.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Lot of goons in itt have that facial blindness disability . This is clearly the face of an autist.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

neonbregna posted:

This is clearly the face of an autist.

Oh so Bioware modeled themselves?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

neonbregna posted:

Lot of goons in itt have that facial blindness disability . This is clearly the face of an autist.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Checks out

quote:

The study found children with autism had wider eyes, and a "broader upper face," compared with typically developing children. According to the study, children with autism also had a shorter middle region of the face - including the nose and cheeks - as well as a wider mouth and philtrum, the divot above the lip and below the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
We're already topping the people who will theorize the taste of a characters sweat before the game's even released!