Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Log posted:

That surprised look on your face when the triangle is sunk is the exact bewildered feeling I have whenever I'm doing anything physical and it isn't exploding in my face. I hope it's alright because I saved that picture, it's classic!

Congrats, man. Keep it going!

Also who the gently caress has a green belt? Am I really missing out on something here? I thought those are for children and that man looks distinctly un-childlike.

Looks like the belt they'd give to differentiate the two competitors if they wore the same colored gi. At least they did that a lot at tournaments around me when I was in college.

That or a judoka entering a BJJ competition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Also who the gently caress has a green belt? Am I really missing out on something here? I thought those are for children and that man looks distinctly un-childlike.

Adult green belts, a belt between white and blue, have been adopted by some associations, even some legit ones. It makes a certain amount of sense, there's a big skill difference between someone on day one and someone at six months even though most people don't get to blue belt by six months.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Looks like the belt they'd give to differentiate the two competitors if they wore the same colored gi. At least they did that a lot at tournaments around me when I was in college.

The belt used for that has an alternating green/yellow pattern to it. That belt was solid green.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Congrats on that first tournament!! Awesome you hit a slick sub too.

One of our guys went up against Daniel Zombie at the last ADCC trials (the one in NJ) and said yeah its just like he drapes all over you and its really effective. He's more of a guard puller though so I don't even know how much standup he got into with the guy.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Odddzy posted:

He's the only guy called Daniel O'brien that participated in EBI. Videos aren't important as he starts every match i've seen with that stance really. My guess is it's probably a stance that he has developed because he's just naturally taller than others by many inches so he just kind of flops over if someone shoots against him.

Yea, from that video, being a loving giant would be my best guess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Re Floating Sweep - this is probably just a coincidence, but if you do that technique from standing it's called the "Floathing Technique," or "Uki Waza," which is actually a technique that needs to be demonstrated in green belt gradings in Judo. Congrats on all that.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Should've hit that sweep then yelled "WHOS THE GREEN BELT NOW" before going in for the kill

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Odddzy posted:

I've got an open question to the people of this thread concerning Daniel O'brien, one of the guys that went pretty far in EBI Light-heavyweights. His stance during standup is kind of mummy-like, and although his personal style makes sense on the top (heavy pressure and kind of dumped weight). I'm curious to know what could be the reasoning behind his very very passive stance in standup.

Aikido man, use your opponents energy against him...

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
My son is under 16 and they use colored belts upto green. So a 15 year old greenbelt with many years might be a blue / high blue level.

I guess some places do a green belt between white and blue for adults to help folks feel like they are progressing, I don't really like it, I guess I am a traditionalist.

But no doubt that greenbelt dude that won felt like the blues I am used to rolling with, I'm guessing he will get a blue soon for his performance. It was his first comp as well, we talked for a good 5 min after the match, was a p cool dude.

2nd day after and I am sore as gently caress.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A friend from my gym is competing in an absolute division soon and used to be a highschool wrestler and he's using me(way heavier) as a stand up opponent to practice and Jesus big ups to people who want to fight standing vs guard pulling. There's just so much I don't know and so much I am bad at. After three weeks of it and getting points and tips from him I'm not just dying but he's still getting really cool set ups that lead with me taking a fall or getting a back take. I can see why a lot of schools kinda put that part on the back burner and just pulling guard/weak singles vs learning how to fight the stand up portion.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I went to class. Holy gently caress. I'll effort post later. I literally spent the last three years being told I could never do anything more intense than yoga, so this was an awesome day.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I went to class. Holy gently caress. I'll effort post later. I literally spent the last three years being told I could never do anything more intense than yoga, so this was an awesome day.

I also went back today. here's my effort post: ribs held up good & I came back stronger than I thought I was going to. very worn out afterwards. going to start up @ 5 days a week again until something else breaks. namaste

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

spandexcajun posted:

My son is under 16 and they use colored belts upto green. So a 15 year old greenbelt with many years might be a blue / high blue level.

I guess some places do a green belt between white and blue for adults to help folks feel like they are progressing, I don't really like it, I guess I am a traditionalist.

But no doubt that greenbelt dude that won felt like the blues I am used to rolling with, I'm guessing he will get a blue soon for his performance. It was his first comp as well, we talked for a good 5 min after the match, was a p cool dude.

2nd day after and I am sore as gently caress.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but traditionally, weren't there were only two belts, white and black? Later on, blue got thrown into the mix, and then decades later purple/brown.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

That's exciting! But please stay safe!

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Robson Moura Nova Uniao schools mostly use an adult green belt. It's not something I love but I can't fault the reasoning when I talk to my instructor. The 2nd and 3rd generation american guys are getting old and realizing that they need bigger schools/associations and not just a small stable of hardened killers to retire, and that they can't roll their entire lives until the day they die. Yeah, you've got your Relson Gracies out there, but the number of days they actually roll and teach is usually smaller than you think. Especially the last generation of high level guys. Good quality strength and conditioning has only just started really penetrating the BJJ community, flexability is huge, and those guy are eaten up with injuries.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

awkward_turtle posted:

Robson Moura Nova Uniao schools mostly use an adult green belt. It's not something I love but I can't fault the reasoning when I talk to my instructor. The 2nd and 3rd generation american guys are getting old and realizing that they need bigger schools/associations and not just a small stable of hardened killers to retire, and that they can't roll their entire lives until the day they die. Yeah, you've got your Relson Gracies out there, but the number of days they actually roll and teach is usually smaller than you think. Especially the last generation of high level guys. Good quality strength and conditioning has only just started really penetrating the BJJ community, flexability is huge, and those guy are eaten up with injuries.

Sooooo

what's the reasoning.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Sooooo

what's the reasoning.

More belt levels is better for retaining hobbyists. At least that was my interpretation.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I dont hate the belt in between white and blue belt, we informally do it at my school too. Part of the explanation ive got is theres kind of a belt inflation now where so many more athletic young guys are coming in with the aim of competing, and they jump right into training 6 days a week and treating it like a sport, watching tons of tape, and those guys in like 1 month can get to what a blue belt was 15 years ago or whatever. But you dont want to just instantly give them a blue belt and ruin the usual progression, and take away the opportunity to compete at white belt against other people who dont have much experience competing (all divisions being full of sandbaggers) etc.

So if you have to stretch white belt a bit theres gonna be a big jump between "new guy who doesnt know whats going on and/or hobbyist" and "serious white belt who isnt quite at competitive blue belt level yet" and the belt helps demarcate it. I understand not liking the aesthetics

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

manyak posted:

I dont hate the belt in between white and blue belt, we informally do it at my school too. Part of the explanation ive got is theres kind of a belt inflation now where so many more athletic young guys are coming in with the aim of competing, and they jump right into training 6 days a week and treating it like a sport, watching tons of tape, and those guys in like 1 month can get to what a blue belt was 15 years ago or whatever. But you dont want to just instantly give them a blue belt and ruin the usual progression, and take away the opportunity to compete at white belt against other people who dont have much experience competing (all divisions being full of sandbaggers) etc.

So if you have to stretch white belt a bit theres gonna be a big jump between "new guy who doesnt know whats going on and/or hobbyist" and "serious white belt who isnt quite at competitive blue belt level yet" and the belt helps demarcate it. I understand not liking the aesthetics

I actually had a conversation about stripes today with a whitebelt at the gym, she liked the stripe system while I don't care for it. Discussing it though, I think we both agreed on the fact that the skill differential between whitebelts that have a few months of experience and those that don't have mat time is so huge that stripes kinda make sense for them. But if people have 4-5 years of experience and have a few months of practice off between each other the difference becomes really dependent on many variables making stripes not too useful as a guide. I'd rather not have a belt between white and blue but I understand why it could be of use. After that though, forget it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Coming from a system with no belts, the idea of people caring if there are more belts or belts with stripes or whatever seems awfully silly.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Coming from a system with no belts, the idea of people caring if there are more belts or belts with stripes or whatever seems awfully silly.

but surely there are like, divisions or whatever? the belts are useful for two things imo - giving people a sense of progression and keeping competitive tournaments in the realms of fair. i fully support a between white and blue belt for bjj because the difference is so stark between a day 1 guy and a blue belt who hasn't done well enough in a tournament or whatever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And judo in Canada actually has real meaning attached to all but one belt levels leading up to black

You need a yellow to compete
Orange is practically meaningless beyond the "technical improvement" above yellow.
You need green to do or recieve submissions in tournaments
Blue puts you into advanced divisions and qualifies you to teach to a certain extent.
Brown allows you to start getting credit for the technical components for a black belt.

So insofar as belts can "mean" something, these actually mean something

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Belts have a lot to do with identifying who is going to kill you and who isn't. That dude with a faded as gently caress blue belt and wrestling headgear that is in the beginner's class? You're probably real hosed.

Anyways - First day back trip report. I've been doing calisthenics for a few months but nothing cardio related and YEP my cardio is still my biggest issue. While we were strafing during warm ups my brain was sending all the right information to my limbs. But my God damned left leg gave out and I fell over hard. But I bounced back up and finished warm ups. I can tell they are going to suck for a few weeks but I'll get through it.

I'm extremely blind and have double vision most of the time. (It's a thing with my brain I've lived with my entire life) So, the circle around the instructor part has always been useless to me. Without my glasses, I can't see the instruction at all. I'm extraordinarily bad at taking instruction "in the moment" with any athletic as well. I guess I learn by doing things. But at the end of the class we 100% rolled, and I think I made a good first impression. I didn't get tapped and only got passed twice in four rolls. I love rolling, competing, and testing myself and this scratches that itch in a big way. I'm a confused clusterfuck, but I'm resilient.

I also had to talk a nervous guy through how to land a forearm crush on my throat because he tried to quit three times mid roll in frustration. I've always enjoyed working from my back and I keep my eyes closed most of the time. I also kept giving him way bigger advantages when we kept going. He is a high strung fella' but I bet we'll be friends in a week or two. High strung normally means they at least have empathy!

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Belts are participation trophies for adults.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Odddzy posted:

I actually had a conversation about stripes today with a whitebelt at the gym, she liked the stripe system while I don't care for it. Discussing it though, I think we both agreed on the fact that the skill differential between whitebelts that have a few months of experience and those that don't have mat time is so huge that stripes kinda make sense for them. But if people have 4-5 years of experience and have a few months of practice off between each other the difference becomes really dependent on many variables making stripes not too useful as a guide. I'd rather not have a belt between white and blue but I understand why it could be of use. After that though, forget it.

My school gives stripes mostly on merit somewhat on time and they are on the more conservative side. I think stripes are useful for comparing within a school/affiliate schools what people's relative ability levels are. For people who think belts are useless I get it I guess. I'm not going to pretend to be aloof and too cool for the room, I feel good when I get a stripe and it provides some motivation (mostly in the sense that I need to step my game up). A big part of that is that I respect my professors a lot and stripes aren't easy to come by. I find the idea of a belt in between White and Blue dumb though.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 15, 2017

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Neon Belly posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but traditionally, weren't there were only two belts, white and black? Later on, blue got thrown into the mix, and then decades later purple/brown.

You're thinking about old judo, I think.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The first fight gym I joined in 2008 was basically Chute Box Nashville and taught "Thai Jitsu" which was a bullshit way to say, "MMA." Their Jiu Jitsu classes were taught by an entirely different team and had belts. There were belts in "Thai Jitsu" that I initially thought were stupid. But while I have a lot of issues with the gym in hindsight, they were pretty useful. There was a clear set of goals to work towards and it gave me an "Ah hah" moment with the instructor when I went to test for the yellow belt the first time. I stayed after class, scheduled a test, and before it starts he walked up to me and another dude (who appeared experienced and had Thai shorts) and flatly said, "Do you think you're ready? Because I don't."

It taught me that belonging to a gym isn't about telling all your friends and going to parties (there were parties), it's about loving doing the drat work. Muay Thai guy never came back that I was aware and he was legit skilled. A week later I was by myself cranking a heavy bag until my shins were ready to bleed. Then I heard, "That's what I'm talkin' about, man!" and turned around to see the instructor smiling.

It crystalized in my head that while praise and accomplishment is great and all, be honest about your goals. I don't think I ever would have come to that conclusion if it hadn't been for the belts in Greg Jackson Jitsu or whatever the gently caress it was.

On a related but different note, every sport has "belts." In fencing you know your ranking and typically your opponents. (It's more of an achieve a class then get a ranking thing but you get the point.) I can't think of any sport outside of loving crossfit that doesn't have some system of progression to work towards if you desire.

Green belts are bullshit though. :)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I think a green belt is stupid as poo poo. I think the Gracie Academy white belt with blue stripe is even dumber. I think stripes are useful for people to gauge their progress as well as give them a reward/goal to progress to as well as identify how far they've come. I'm also okay with instructors not giving stripes, but I think if you had a large academy it would be hard to monitor the progress of all your students.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

I think a green belt is stupid as poo poo.

From a purely competitive standpoint, why?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

From a purely competitive standpoint, why?

If you're not going to separate them in competition from white belts, what's the point? What's the technical distinction? I think in IBJJF if you competed at the collegiate level in wrestling or Judo you have to compete as a blue belt. Most white belts have under a year and a half experience in jiu jitsu, so unless your goal is to further make white belt competition be on an even keel, it seems completely pointless to me.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JaySB posted:

If you're not going to separate them in competition from white belts, what's the point? What's the technical distinction? I think in IBJJF if you competed at the collegiate level in wrestling or Judo you have to compete as a blue belt. Most white belts have under a year and a half experience in jiu jitsu, so unless your goal is to further make white belt competition be on an even keel, it seems completely pointless to me.

oh sorry, i meant you should absolutely separate them from white belts.

it just seems weird to me that wrestling / judo guys are forced to compete at blue but white belts who routinely tap blues and annhilate 6-12 month white belts get to go into competition at that standard.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Competitions offer the only mild objectivity to BJJ belt system it seems, in that a school, in theory, doesn't want to be viewed as promoting people who don't deserve it but also doesn't want to be viewed as one that sandbags.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
What % of your typical BJJ school blue belts are active competitors? Say compete twice per year.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pocket Billiards posted:

What % of your typical BJJ school blue belts are active competitors? Say compete twice per year.

I've been at a school where I was the only one that competed. I am currently at a school where I'd say more than half of the blue belts and about a quarter of the white belts all compete regularly.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Pocket Billiards posted:

Probably depends on region and availability. If you live in California you could probably compete every other week. Minnesota maybe not so much

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In my place, a large gracie barra, we've say 50 blues, 10 compete regularly.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Pocket Billiards posted:

Around here (Tampa) my unscientific estimate is a little under half.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

We're only a small school but maybe ten to fifteen of us compete twice a year? I loving hate it (I'm a purple belt for what it's worth) but I do it to show the newer guys that even though I don't like competing I still do it because there's a lot of lessons that can be picked up. It's a great analytic tool.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

our school is pretty big and probably something like 80% of people past a couple of stripes on their white belt compete. it's not crammed down your throat or even highly encouraged ever, but our location gives us access to tournaments in several major cities so there's always something to train for

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I have a question and it isn't a dig at anyone. Why would you dislike competing? It doesn't really seem different than rolling and I personally haven't seen big audiences at any tourneys I've attended.

I do understand not wanting to financially put yourself out for the experience, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I have a question and it isn't a dig at anyone. Why would you dislike competing? It doesn't really seem different than rolling and I personally haven't seen big audiences at any tourneys I've attended.

Have you competed? It's a lot different than regular rolling. Risk of injury is significantly higher.