Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Seminal Flu posted:

If you're talking about the LQ9, it makes 350 at the flywheel from the factory.

Yes. You could probably ask him and get a sassy response though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sounds like a classic case of:
"Whaddya mean tune it???"

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I wonder if you could find a ZR1 in your price range? Maybe not as elegant as a Lotus but a different approach to the problem of never going fast enough.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Seminal Flu posted:

How could he do all that poo poo to an LQ9 and only end up with 365whp? :psyduck:

Nice parts but only valvetrain work and blueprinting? That sounds about right for +15whp over the stock crank horsepower.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
NSX -- I would buy in white. Sometimes you see supercharged ones go for not much more than stock, given the mod hit to value.

Cayman S -- I used to be way more into them than Boxsters, but they've aged rather quickly. I think you get slightly better value with the soft top.

Before I got the Viper, I was still in the Z06 and test drove a 2012 ZR1. I was thinking, hey, maybe the extra power will make up for this increasingly dated interior.
The seats were marginally better support, but this is what's on the 2012 Centennial Edition vettes' steering wheels:

That's just how the whole interior feels -- GM's 90s engineers trying their best to make something cool.
The power was really really nice, but the sound was a minus compared to the LS7's. Too bad a roots blower is so ineffecient, cuz the whine is awesome.

The first-gen (?) Magnetic Ride Control didn't make much difference, though that comes with the caveat of driving only as hard as feels right with a salesperson riding with you. I drove a ZL1 at some point and thought that had more noticeable MRC differences in different modes.

If I were going back to a Vette, I'd probably find a C7 Z51.

If that were an aluminum block (or green :getin:), I'd take you up on it. I dunno if you can actually feel the extra 100lbs in the front, but the way a stock 944 handles would suck to lose.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Seminal Flu posted:

How could he do all that poo poo to an LQ9 and only end up with 365whp? :psyduck:

Mustang dynos are notoriously stingy. Baseline number I've seen on an LQ9 are from 250-270 rwhp.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 14, 2017

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

kimbo305 posted:

NSX -- I would buy in white. Sometimes you see supercharged ones go for not much more than stock, given the mod hit to value.

Cayman S -- I used to be way more into them than Boxsters, but they've aged rather quickly. I think you get slightly better value with the soft top.

Yeah I remember looking at Cayman S around the time I bought my S2000 and they were in the mid to low 20's if you got lucky. That seems to have been the bottom out point, since I looked again a few months back and the low end had climbed back up to upper 20's low 30s

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

Costs:

I paid $51k for the car. 54,188 with sales tax. A couple months later, I found out the dealer I bought it from paid 46k (or lower if he cut a deal) for it on Ferrari Chat. That dealer, btw, is the same who furnished DeMuro with the Turbo and 512R above.

I sold it for 41k.
[...]
Hey, thanks for the writeup, this is pretty interesting! What do you think caused it to lose 10k over this period? I expected a car like this to barely change value unless you bashed it into a wall or something. Other than that it's not... unreasonable, I suppose.

As a replacement I can definitely recommend a Porsche. My coworker used to have a Boxter and now has a Carrera S, and they all had very nice interiors, were easy to live with day to day (cargo space aside), and although I didn't race them or anything, drove like a dream.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

You knock Elises for being 'not unusual enough' but then wax on about Boxsters, Caymans, and Corvettes? Are you trying to pick up Cougars or something?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BloodBag posted:

You knock Elises for being 'not unusual enough' but then wax on about Boxsters, Caymans, and Corvettes? Are you trying to pick up Cougars or something?

I thought he said they were unusual enough in MA.

MA is (relatively) devoid of interesting cars unless you consider the WRX interesting.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I thought he said they were unusual enough in MA.

MA is (relatively) devoid of interesting cars unless you consider the WRX interesting.

That's what I get for posting without enough coffee.

And WRX's are interesting, sir. *posts in flannel*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Hey, thanks for the writeup, this is pretty interesting! What do you think caused it to lose 10k over this period? I expected a car like this to barely change value unless you bashed it into a wall or something. Other than that it's not... unreasonable, I suppose.

Keep in mind it was selling on F-chat for 46k, so taking that price at face value, it only lost 5k. I think that's reasonable for 1.5 years of use without doing the timing belt. The 348 has never been one of the desirable Ferraris, and only great condition ones can easily hold value regardless of how the market is moving. When 348s become more collectible, I don't think ones in a condition like mine will make that collectibility cut.

BloodBag posted:

but then wax on about Boxsters, Caymans, and Corvettes? Are you trying to pick up Cougars or something?

Remember how you were upset that I wasn't driving the 348 hard enough? I don't have to worry about that stuff if I get normal car that I have less money into, so I can drive it harder without guilt. That's the appeal of going to a less exotic car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

Remember how you were upset that I wasn't driving the 348 hard enough? I don't have to worry about that stuff if I get normal car that I have less money into, so I can drive it harder without guilt. That's the appeal of going to a less exotic car.

That's why you should throw a suspension and supercharger on the Charger and drive the balls off of it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

That's why you should throw a suspension and supercharger on the Charger and drive the balls off of it.

Every time I hear a squeaky pulley from the engine bay, I just mash on the gas to make it go away.
That rust spot finally caved in (probably thanks to hitting the snow bank once at Team O'Neil's open day), but it's got some life left in it still.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Try hunting down a Noble and try that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I drove an M12 way back and liked it. Exactly what you'de expect from a professionally made kit car, though. You're paying for the light weight, suspension, and motor. The parts choices for the interior went below the "has character" threshold down to "just lovely."
Excuse me while I look on eBay again for Nobles.

e: I think this Rossion was on eBay back in 2013 when I was looking at Nobles:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Other-Makes-Coupe/292016737346
And it was 75k OBO back then.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 14, 2017

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
It's an auto but cheap and famous, only 590000 miles :v: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/6001908679.html

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 14, 2017

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
How about a factory five cobra or something? I guess not having a roof could be a downside, but dang they're cool.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

dreesemonkey posted:

How about a factory five cobra or something? I guess not having a roof could be a downside, but dang they're cool.

They're made here in MA... common as gently caress. I see one a day here on the Cape in the summer.

Now, the Type65 Coupe or the GTM, those are a lot rarer. However, they're owner-built kits, and the interior is, as Kimbo said about the Noble, "existent" at best.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
How about an Ariel Atom? Those seems like a fantastic way to kill yourself in style.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Atoms look really cool, but they're expensive for their extremely limited utility. I mean I wouldn't be above going shopping in one, but I'd have to go by myself.
I have looked online for Exocept Miatas (in the vein of Lotus 7 clones, price wise) but haven't seen any.

Remember the Type 65 project I worked on way back? That guy who had twins and had to stall the project? It still needs some work before he applies for street legality!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Hmmm, maybe just settle for an NSX and have 95% of the 348 at 10% of the maintenance. If I didn't need a rear seat for my daughter I'd likely be in that or previous gen Cayman. Maybe a C7.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm pretty sure the car you're looking for is a Local Motors rallyfighter. They are designed to be abused, uncommon, and cool as all hell. IIRC you get to help build yours, too, as part of the kit-car certification.

e: you know this is ideal for Boston traffic

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 15, 2017

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My uncle DD's his rally fighter. They are loving cool.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Atoms look really cool, but they're expensive for their extremely limited utility. I mean I wouldn't be above going shopping in one, but I'd have to go by myself.
I have looked online for Exocept Miatas (in the vein of Lotus 7 clones, price wise) but haven't seen any.

Remember the Type 65 project I worked on way back? That guy who had twins and had to stall the project? It still needs some work before he applies for street legality!

I forgot about that. Got any updates?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Lightbulb Out posted:

My uncle DD's his rally fighter. They are loving cool.

Your uncle is rad and you should buy him an account.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Get a Lister Bell STR and put a Mondial drivetrain in it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sharkytm posted:

I forgot about that. Got any updates?

It's really close:
"It's still not completed. Going back to the builder in 2 weeks to wrap up things. Some reassembly required after painting + windscreen install, etc. Then the process can begin of getting title and plates"

I haven't asked if I can drive it, yet. Woulda been easier when I had a very cool car to let him drive.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Import a Mazda 323 GTR. They'll be legal this year.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I put a low bid on this, but it'll obviously be out of my price range by auction end:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1955-porsche-550a-2/

I wonder how much debate BaT had about taking this auction:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-volkswagen-20th-anniversary/

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CharlesM posted:

Import a Mazda 323 GTR. They'll be legal this year.

They were made in LHD too, Dr. Terry Bennett was a crazy 323 GTX/GTR hoarder and autioned off nearly his entire collection and there was a LHD GTR, I swear it came from Germany or Greece. Maintenance items are from DOHC Proteges or BP Miatas, body panels are everywhere, and there's tons of manifold adapters when then ball bearing turbo blows up. I'm getting one eventually.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you're going to get a GTR you might as well make it a Nissan.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

I'm pretty sure the car you're looking for is a Local Motors rallyfighter. They are designed to be abused, uncommon, and cool as all hell. IIRC you get to help build yours, too, as part of the kit-car certification.

e: you know this is ideal for Boston traffic

You should avoid damp roads (or as Tanner calls them, swamps) if you get one.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

jamal posted:

If you are going to get a GTR you might as well get a Nissan :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

jamal posted:

I'm just a Mazda fanboy at heart. I don't actually think it's what kimbo would want. I always tell people to get one though. :P I'm not sure if the 323 is even really that fun to drive. I'm not sure it's too reliable either. The GTR is beefed up compared to the GTX in some ways though.

DJ Commie posted:

They were made in LHD too, Dr. Terry Bennett was a crazy 323 GTX/GTR hoarder and autioned off nearly his entire collection and there was a LHD GTR, I swear it came from Germany or Greece. Maintenance items are from DOHC Proteges or BP Miatas, body panels are everywhere, and there's tons of manifold adapters when then ball bearing turbo blows up. I'm getting one eventually.

Yeah I want one in LHD. I could buy one in Europe pretty easily if it popped up but I rent out the garage I have there (it's worth a lot) so I don't have a place to store it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

uhhhh... I do believe that's what a snorkel is for? It looks like they put an uncovered cone air filter on that thing, which is fine unless you intend to take your rally car/trophy truck mud bogging.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It's pretty cool that they still take some low dollar cars that are interesting/popular. Just now they've got an e30 318 slicktop that's in so-so condition and an 60-series Land Cruiser that's got some rust, both going for low-mid 4 figures. Takes me back to the pre-auction days when not everything going through BAT was speculation/investment grade.

I'm also going to watch this and see where it ends up. It's only at ~11k with 4 hours to go, but it has some cosmetic damage and an accident on it's history. Aside from that it's the most desirable option combo for that car, IMO of course.
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-bmw-m3-coupe-4/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CharlesM posted:

I'm just a Mazda fanboy at heart. I don't actually think it's what kimbo would want. I always tell people to get one though. :P I'm not sure if the 323 is even really that fun to drive. I'm not sure it's too reliable either. The GTR is beefed up compared to the GTX in some ways though.

There was a rusty Isuzu Impulse selling for $1600 that I was really tempted to get. That'd have been the closest I've been to 90s Japanese turbo AWD car, but CT and KB warned me off as too rusty and too lovely.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Friend of mine went through a few of these (they're apparently easy to roll if you're a ham-fisted driver who doesn't understand vehicle dynamics and/or the concept of smooth inputs).

I got to do a significant amount of work on his and thus would never buy one... Very nice seats, no center armrest stock, and were shockingly nice to drive. Looked really good in that color and with those wheels, girls loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

How on earth is a GTI "easy to roll"?

• Locked thread