Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diddums
Jan 31, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

In that "watch a random PPV" thread I watched Armageddon 2003 and he has a pretty cool match with HBK

The match they had at Backlash 2008 was really good and had a pretty interesting story. It was the next ppv after Flair retired, and Batista was angry that MIchaels didn't throw the match to let Flair keep his job. Jericho is the special ref, and it leads into Jericho and Michaels great feud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

sticklefifer posted:

There are no real lyrics, it's just what someone thinks they heard, like back in the day when everyone used to post REAL OFFICIAL LYRICS for Korn's dumb scat singing vocals.
In a similar vein... I assumed the original Smackdown theme was just gibberish but the title is apparently "Everybody Hit the Ground," a phrase which kinda fits the cadence of the noise in the song, so I guess those are the lyrics??

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
When did WWE start giving away belts to non-wrestlers? Arnie on that episode of Smackdown? When did it become a regular thing?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

magnum_valentino posted:

When did WWE start giving away belts to non-wrestlers? Arnie on that episode of Smackdown? When did it become a regular thing?

I think it started years ago when the Pistons won the NBA championship, and they all had Big Gold Belts after the final game

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

magnum_valentino posted:

it's been a while now, they've done custom design stuff since like 2011

They basicall blow $5000 worth of merchandise and get a lot of photo-ops and press

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You'd expect pro athletes to look down on wrestling, but there's always at least one guy who is super excited about getting the belt. I saw that picture of Gronk at the Super Bowl parade slamming beers, and the guy behind him has the WWE belt in the air.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Open Marriage Night posted:

You'd expect pro athletes to look down on wrestling, but there's always at least one guy who is super excited about getting the belt. I saw that picture of Gronk at the Super Bowl parade slamming beers, and the guy behind him has the WWE belt in the air.

I mean, pro athletes have no reason to look down on it. They know it's grueling, and it's been a while since anyone ever assumed it was real competition. Also they all nerds now.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Packers had the Big Gold at the super bowl on stage after they won. Then Clay Matthews was on smackdown.

Kevin Love brought the smoking skull championship to game 7 of the nba finals just in case they won. Luckily they did because the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

schweens posted:

The Packers had the Big Gold at the super bowl on stage after they won. Then Clay Matthews was on smackdown.

Kevin Love brought the smoking skull championship to game 7 of the nba finals just in case they won. Luckily they did because the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead

Aaron Rodgers had been doing the belt motion as a thing all season, so it was organic at least.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Gronk's one of those athletes I feel could have been a big wrestling star.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

team him with Mojo and Zach

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

TV Zombie posted:

It's a shame to think that Asuka may never get called to the main roster, but as long as she's happy in NXT, who am I to care (She's happy in NXT, right? :ohnoes:)

I was watching Drew Gulak's farewell from Chikara and I saw him hug Chuck Taylor at the end and it made me wonder, why hasn't Chuck Taylor wrestled outside of Evolve, PWG and Chikara? I think his character would be decent in DDT or something.

I've heard rumours that Chuck received a WWE tryout but...

1) Was a little too doughy, small, and non Mr. Universe for them, but also...

2) Supposedly he had a collar bone injury when he was first starting off in his career, essentially didn't treat it, or look after it until it was too late, and now it's an actual liability. i .e. Affects his core strength, hurts his questionable athleticism, is a big red flag for waivers and lawsuits.

Keep in mind, both of these are rumours, and are to be taken with all of the salt.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The main problem (in my opinion) is that Chuck likes doing goofy comedy stuff and that doesn't really have a place in WWE currently.
He would be good manager if managers that weren't Paul Heyman existed in WWE.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

MrBling posted:

The main problem (in my opinion) is that Chuck likes doing goofy comedy stuff and that doesn't really have a place in WWE currently.

They could've given him a Santino-esque role I guess

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MrBling posted:

Well, Paul Ellering's back. I kinda wonder if he'll want to tour nationally once AoP get called up though.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Why would he join the fed now? He's booked extremely well in a number of places and in the WWE he'd be a jobber because of his look and style.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Why would he join the fed now? He's booked extremely well in a number of places and in the WWE he'd be a jobber because of his look and style.

Because he could conceivably make a lot of money, even if he never got any further than Trent did.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

I want to buy a custom wrestling mask. Anyone have any recommended sites for that sort of thing?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SLUM KING posted:

I want to buy a custom wrestling mask. Anyone have any recommended sites for that sort of thing?

Highspots does it. So does Deportes Martinez http://www.mtzwear.com/eng/

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I think it started years ago when the Pistons won the NBA championship, and they all had Big Gold Belts after the final game

The Pistons won in 2003, right? The Arnold thing was in 1999, I think.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SLUM KING posted:

This guy is a real mexican dude who makes decent masks at very reasonable prices:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RomeroMaskShop

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

SLUM KING posted:

If you're looking for a custom pro-grade mask (high quality materials, lining/reinforcement), contact these guys: https://www.facebook.com/luchausa/

They use multiple mask makers, and they'll be able to connect you with whichever one is best for your needs.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It would not shock me if Vince booked him for a WrestleMania appearance very soon.

Reuben Mandrill
Feb 26, 2013
Been a while since i commented, but definitely been lurking for a while now, but to cut to the chase. I am in Alaska and have no friends to watch wrestling with. Six years ago I remember there being a chatroom that people from this thread would go to watch the magic. Does this group still exist? If, so who do I need to insult to get an invite?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Reuben Mandrill posted:

Been a while since i commented, but definitely been lurking for a while now, but to cut to the chase. I am in Alaska and have no friends to watch wrestling with. Six years ago I remember there being a chatroom that people from this thread would go to watch the magic. Does this group still exist? If, so who do I need to insult to get an invite?

There's a discord server in the rules thread.

Reuben Mandrill
Feb 26, 2013

elf help book posted:

There's a discord server in the rules thread.

Thank you sweet prince.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

It would not shock me if Vince booked him for a WrestleMania appearance very soon.

he's injured almost every other year. pro wrestling would have murdered this guy

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NutShellBill posted:

2) Supposedly he had a collar bone injury when he was first starting off in his career, essentially didn't treat it, or look after it until it was too late, and now it's an actual liability. i .e. Affects his core strength, hurts his questionable athleticism, is a big red flag for waivers and lawsuits.

He definitely has a gnarly collarbone/shoulder injury from an IWA Mid-South match with Cassandro.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How many times has Undertaker done his ring teleport gimmick and hosed someone up? The only ones I found on Youtube were the time he swapped places with Jeff Hardy and chokeslammed Sheamus, and the time when he attacked Big Show after a match with Rey Mysterio.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Also, why hasn't he ever telefragged someone yet.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of the lights out gimmick, this was a pretty :pwn: moment.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

MinibarMatchman posted:

he's injured almost every other year. pro wrestling would have murdered this guy

I meant like a Drew Carey-style appearance where he doesn't take a bump and is just there for Celebrity Exposure.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Here's a Question:

What are some of the most heartbreaking storyline moments you've ever seen? My spouse and I were watching this past Monday's Raw and Jericho's delivery of "How come my name's on this?" during the Festival of Friendship was just so sad, especially when the crowd realized what was going on.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Vader's "fat piece of poo poo" comment was genuinely touching. As were Foley's promos as Cactus Jack and Mankind that touched on his real life issues with being the kid who would eat worms and jump off a roof, and having brain damage.

Brother Bruti just wanted to make his friend a birthday cake :(

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I never felt bad for Leslie. I guess the only way that ever would have happened is if WWE did one of those excellent video packages detailing the way Leslie would name most of his gimmicks based on whatever Hogan, his best friend, was doing at the time.

YouTube - OSW Review: Top 18 Ed Leslie aka Brutus Beefcake Gimmicks!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Halloween Jack posted:

Vader's "fat piece of poo poo" comment was genuinely touching. As were Foley's promos as Cactus Jack and Mankind that touched on his real life issues with being the kid who would eat worms and jump off a roof, and having brain damage.

Mankind throwing away his mystique to scream at JR for downplaying how much pain he was actually in and how it affected his personal life is one of my favorite Attitude Era moments. Similarly, I always loved that emotional rant he went on when he thought the Rock threw out his copy of his autobiography.

It would come off as cheesy if I rewatched it now, but Earthquake killing Damien hit hard. Especially when Jake peaked into the bag and then broke down.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My head continuity places that as the moment Jake lost it and became the most evil man alive

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The Rock coming to Eugene's defense after Coach verbally ran him down was pretty emotional.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Justin Godscock posted:

The Rock coming to Eugene's defense after Coach verbally ran him down was pretty emotional.

Similarly, William Regal deciding that Eugene would not fight HHH tonight was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hImofL_MgWc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I always felt bad for Jericho when he had that breakdown over how nobody took him seriously as Undisputed Champion.

"NO!! NO NO NO! This is not a joke! I am not a joke! I am serious! And you will not look past me you stupid son of a bitch!"