Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Dear lord McCoy you are such a god drat disgrace... :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Die in a fire.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What a dumb motherfucker.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Good god, it's not complicated why Manchin is voting for some of the Trump appointees, and it's not because he sucks. He's a Democrat senator from West Virginia. He's got the most conservative, red-leaning, white, racist, climate-change-denying constituency of the remaining Democratic senators, and he was elected in 2012. Manchin joining protest votes or voting the party line in WV accomplishes absolutely nothing, and guarantees his senate seat turning red in 2018.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Jesus christ.

e: I want to exhume rockwell and rig his corpse to some kind of exoskeleton that will allow him to personally punch mccoy

itskage fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 14, 2017

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
Lester flashback:

Sair
May 11, 2007

Lest we forget:

E: gently caress you, jerk

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I didn't forget, just still a loving lovely thing to co-opt

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I like how Lester misunderstood the original so profoundly that he thought the marshals were the bad guys preventing her from entering and thus ushering her away from school-- hence the armband labels of Rush's "enemies." It betrays a particular kind of stupidity.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
Every silver lining has a touch of grey

https://twitter.com/mattbors/status/831362568329453569

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Yeah the Lester one is great because he self owns himself by demonstrating that he doesn't even understand the source.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Lester flashback:

"True Racism"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think it says something that they can't really think of a slur that might be used against their "victims" so they just write down "CONSERVATIVE"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Holy poo poo, McCoy.
This is so outrageously bad in so many ways it feels like a loving parody of itself.

Way to co-opt imagery from an event that your party would have opposed.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did McCoy trace the guards? They have outlines of the armbands but no actual armbands

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Holy poo poo I think you're right.

Lazy and worthless, this poo poo sack.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Doesn't look like he traced them. Just carefully copied them. Not sure why he drew the armband lines. He didn't draw the badges. Maybe he had something truly dumb like Lester's masterpiece ready to go, then thought better of it.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
jesus christ branco

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Fates End posted:

jesus christ branco

Yeah, no, this exactly what Branco would publish.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Discendo Vox posted:

Good god, it's not complicated why Manchin is voting for some of the Trump appointees, and it's not because he sucks. He's a Democrat senator from West Virginia. He's got the most conservative, red-leaning, white, racist, climate-change-denying constituency of the remaining Democratic senators, and he was elected in 2012. Manchin joining protest votes or voting the party line in WV accomplishes absolutely nothing, and guarantees his senate seat turning red in 2018.

Also, his daughter is under investigation by the FTC and NY AG.

Discendo Vox posted:

They were never going to roll over and rubberstamp everything. This is completely disjoint from the policies and optics involved. When Trump's people put up his appointees, they intentionally started with ones that had high levels of support.

On one hand, Democrats have to be smart about how they oppose the party that controls the whole government. Nikki Haley probably isn't worth burning the filibuster over.

But on the other hand:

Pelosi slams immigration order but says Dems will work with Trump

quote:

Pelosi appeared on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” indicating her party won’t seek to blindly obstruct the Trump administration in the way Republicans did to former President Barack Obama.

“I think if we can talk about job creation, and infrastructure legislation that’s a real infrastructure bill and not a tax break for his rich friends, then there’s something we can talk about,” Pelosi said.

The Democrats' first instinct is to say, "How do we find an issue on which Trump will work with us?" They only started opposing cabinet appointees after the left started marching in the street and blowing up their phones.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Where does the whole Warren = Pocahontas / native american thing come from?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Trogdos! posted:

She's one of those Americans who claim to be 1/17th <insert ethnicity>, and in this case it's Native American.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Trogdos! posted:

She did the "Well I'm 1/Xth whatever" thing which was stupid but of course Republicans are never to be outdone in being the most racist.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The Democrats' first instinct is to say, "How do we find an issue on which Trump will work with us?" They only started opposing cabinet appointees after the left started marching in the street and blowing up their phones.

It's really not complicated what she's doing. She's setting up a set of expectations for Republican behavior that they will fail to meet. Trump isn't going to pass an infrastructure bill that's remotely legit. The Democrats need to convince the people who just voted an R majority in both houses that the people they voted for are 1) responsible for terrible policies, and 2) are corrupt like Trump is. They don't accomplish this by going on Meet the Press and saying "we're going to obstruct everything". This isn't a war, it's a series of elections.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Never mind Trump, not having a pet or not wanting to party are deal-breakers already

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Please tell me they actually did this

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jay Rust posted:

Never mind Trump, not having a pet or not wanting to party are deal-breakers already

NO drink?!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Holy poo poo.

du -hast fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 14, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My Internet connection isn't spectacular, so at first I only saw the upper parts of the picture and thought it was meant to be Hillary. I immediately recognized the art being referenced anyway, but was so baffled by what I thought was Hillary that the terribleness didn't immediately hit me. I was wondering what on earth happened with her and why someone would make a comic about her now, particularly using this imagery, when the full thing loaded and I went, "Oh. ...Oh, you fucker."

Seriously, though, that drawing is disgusting, and also really, really bad. Someone who draws like that should not be a professional cartoonist unless the content of their work is worth it despite the poor drawing, and in this case it clearly isn't.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I thought her university claimed it but she didn't?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Discendo Vox posted:

It's really not complicated what she's doing. She's setting up a set of expectations for Republican behavior that they will fail to meet. Trump isn't going to pass an infrastructure bill that's remotely legit. The Democrats need to convince the people who just voted an R majority in both houses that the people they voted for are 1) responsible for terrible policies, and 2) are corrupt like Trump is. They don't accomplish this by going on Meet the Press and saying "we're going to obstruct everything". This isn't a war, it's a series of elections.
Republicans don't care about expectations or goalposts when their people are in power. Three years from now, Trump will say, "I stopped those evil Democrats and saved you from health care" regardless of what actually happens, and he'll get a third of the vote for it. And if Democrats support Trump on, say, infrastructure spending, either it works and he gets the credit, or it doesn't work and they voted for it.

They don't need to obstruct everything, but they should block obviously bad bills and people, which is everything the Republicans have right now.

Democrats need a message, which they completely lack at the moment. The Left, à la Sanders, has a message: Spend more on things directly applicable to people's lives (school, health care, housing, whatever) and less on tax cuts and war. Maybe that's too far to the left for the country, but what did Trump win the election on? Promising to bring jobs back to blue-collar workers. People both parties have spat on for 30 years.

So if they don't follow the Bernie model of appealing to the regular working guy like Trump did, what is their plan? What sets them apart from Republicans? A billion dollars of toll roads are not going to do it. As we saw in this election, helping minorities won't do it. And I can guarantee, "Not everyone wants $15 an hour" won't do it. What are Republicans offering that Democrats should support?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

So if they don't follow the Bernie model of appealing to the regular working guy like Trump did, what is their plan? What sets them apart from Republicans? A billion dollars of toll roads are not going to do it. As we saw in this election, helping minorities won't do it. And I can guarantee, "Not everyone wants $15 an hour" won't do it. What are Republicans offering that Democrats should support?

A big strong authoritarian voice. You're basically saying that people want fascism now and we should roll over and accept it. gently caress you.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Keiya posted:

A big strong authoritarian voice. You're basically saying that people want fascism now and we should roll over and accept it. gently caress you.

Did I say that the people want Trump, and we should all give up? No. I said Democrats need to appeal to average people, and they are not going to do that by being the also-rans who voted for all the Republicans' "tear up the Constitution" bills because oh no, what if someday we lose the filibuster?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
"Average people"

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Isn't it a common perception that the dems are by and large aloof and ineffectual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the best part of this is that the real version of this truism doesn't even apply in any way to this situation. Like, if Coretta Scott King had also written a letter about how horrible and racist Elizabeth Warren is, this cartoon would have a point. But that of course did not happen. There isn't a point, there isn't a double-meaning, Branco just wanted an excuse to make Native American jokes.

the loving Pidgin English too :ughh:

Jedit posted:

She's one of those Americans who claim to be 1/17th <insert ethnicity>, and in this case it's Native American.

Scott Brown already tried making this his main oppo point against her when she ran for his Senate seat. It didn't work. But Republicans never let it go, because they never figured out a better one.

• Locked thread