Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Is there any good feminist theory on Starship Troopers and how even though the future is fascist as hell there's literally no men questioning women as commanding officers OR grunts, although women are objectively conquests for the dumber males like Rico who still struggle with the idea of blind unquestioning fascism?

Women are given priority as pilots and naval commanders because of their quicker reaction times, according to the novel. Nothing stops them from serving in the mobile infantry but heinlein made it clear their talents were better suited to fleet services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
yeah in the book when you sign up for military service there is something like 60 preferences for where you want to serve, and mobile infantry is right on the bottom end of the list. I'm pretty sure there's basically no women in MI in the book.

The movie is cool that it is so egalitarian though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm rewatching Starship Troopers now for the first time in like ten years and it's still great. It holds up insanely well.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

geteven got taken down from Youtube and I never saved it. Can someone repost it? It's goddamn hilarious, I was in hysterics throughout the whole thing.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

If you haven't heard Verhoeven's commentaries for Starship Troopers, you should - IIRC there's one with him and Ed Neumeier and one with Verhoeven and Casper van Dien, Dina Meyer and NPH. It's been years since I listened to them, but he basically spells out everything they were going for (fascism is bad! the movie is filled with hints that what you're seeing is actually BAD!) and goes on at length about how test audiences loving hated Carmen and (I'm paraphrasing) "wanted the bitch to die," or something like that.

Again, I think it's been over a decade or more since I listened to them, but they're good if you like the movie.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

reignofevil posted:

Where do I have to go to get to say things like "actually this character is immoral and should be first to die" in Hollywood.

Where did I hear - maybe it's bullshit - that American Big Brother sucked because Americans vote off people they felt deserved it; whereas other countries voted off the least entertaining people.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bruteman posted:

If you haven't heard Verhoeven's commentaries for Starship Troopers, you should - IIRC there's one with him and Ed Neumeier and one with Verhoeven and Casper van Dien, Dina Meyer and NPH. It's been years since I listened to them, but he basically spells out everything they were going for (fascism is bad! the movie is filled with hints that what you're seeing is actually BAD!) and goes on at length about how test audiences loving hated Carmen and (I'm paraphrasing) "wanted the bitch to die," or something like that.

Again, I think it's been over a decade or more since I listened to them, but they're good if you like the movie.

There's a part in the commentary where he suddenly screams really really loving LOUD.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the more i read about the book the more i kind of want to read the stupid thing, but based on my experience of heinlen, all the interesting stuff is probably like one sentence buried within 30 pages describing how a space pencil works

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The military engagements are kind of interesting, as is the description of the power armour. But you have to wade through a lot of typical heinlein boy's power fantasy first plus all of his ideas on the perfect military.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the more i read about the book the more i kind of want to read the stupid thing, but based on my experience of heinlen, all the interesting stuff is probably like one sentence buried within 30 pages describing how a space pencil works

It goes into ridiculous detail about their suits and military tech and why the old world was horrible and democracy doesn't work if the unwashed masses can participate. The whole bug war is only maybe half the book with the other half him showing you how great this society is and how cool their guns and robot suits are. It's still a scify classic of course though and it had a huge impact. Some authoritarian militarists in power suits fighting aliens isn't at all novel now, but that's just because everyone's ripped off starship troopers since.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

It's basically about how awesome a well trained, well supported through every aspect of society, well oiled military machine would be at killing poo poo. I'm not sure Heinlein 100% believed that because most of his other books are about completely opposing things, but he definitely writes it as if he is trying to sell the premise.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
we are all extremely lucky starship troopers was made exactly when it was. a few years later and it would have been completely CGI and it would look poo poo today, a few years earlier and it would have been all janky stop motion. but its both when it needs to be and its drat near perfect

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Is there any good feminist theory on Starship Troopers and how even though the future is fascist as hell there's literally no men questioning women as commanding officers OR grunts, although women are objectively conquests for the dumber males like Rico who still struggle with the idea of blind unquestioning fascism?

heinlen was pretty libertarian on sex and race issues, but also was a sex weirdo who lived in a patriarchal society. so he totally believed that women and non-white people were as capable as white men, but he couldn't help himself from viewing women as sex objects

starkebn posted:

It's basically about how awesome a well trained, well supported through every aspect of society, well oiled military machine would be at killing poo poo. I'm not sure Heinlein 100% believed that because most of his other books are about completely opposing things, but he definitely writes it as if he is trying to sell the premise.

it's weird because even though he was a social libertarian he was also a big time authoritarian militarist. like he hated the parts of the government that had to do with regulations on personal freedoms but he was totally behind the parts of the government that did national defense

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 14, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pretty sure one chapter in the book is entirely a speech about how well their system works or something similar.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah it was made at this perfect time at the height of physical model technology and CG used mostly to get those models into the scenes.

The whole drop ship to landing on the planet and deploying human actors is one smooth scene and it's actually quite an amazing effects shot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Roughnecks is also quite a good series. it hits some of the satire of the film, but it is more it's own beast.

Rico even figures out a good answer to the moral difference between a civilian and a citizen. The characters in the show are much more humanized, because SICON isn't the psychotic fascist state like the Federation in the film, just with some nasty undertones.

It's a good show, check it out if you can find it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Pretty sure one chapter in the book is entirely a speech about how well their system works or something similar.

yeah, but some of his other books include "let's blow up the state and live in anarchy" and "gently caress you dad I'm going to go back in time and gently caress Mom because she was a babe"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

THE BAR posted:

My biggest problems with the film, with one being incredibly minor, is how the main guys' guns gets an upgrade during the last ten minutes of the film. Seriously, they chew through bugs like butter, in contrast to earlier where it took 5-10 people to down just a single one.

This happens in that Netflix movie "Spectral". They go from modern day weapons to Gears of War overnight after the smart guy is all "Oh, hey guys. I upgraded your weapons last night. Oh, I also built exosuits too."

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Roughnecks is also quite a good series. it hits some of the satire of the film, but it is more it's own beast.

Rico even figures out a good answer to the moral difference between a civilian and a citizen. The characters in the show are much more humanized, because SICON isn't the psychotic fascist state like the Federation in the film, just with some nasty undertones.

It's a good show, check it out if you can find it.

It also had a kickass opening theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5eAafpheKU

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

If you guys are a fan of watching Best of the Worst style movies at home, you should try to track down Nail Gun Massacre. It's amazing. Highlights include actors obviously reading off hidden scripts, stuntmen corpsing, male and female nudity, and some of the worst fake nails you'll ever see. It's amazing.

Since people were talking about Michael Ironside, I looked up what other sci-fi movies he's been in and came across Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone which sounds promising
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z351Gqxiv8E

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 14, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MrSlam posted:

It also had a kickass opening theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5eAafpheKU

Techno Beethoven is a good choice, all things considered.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
holy god that show has not aged well

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milky Moor posted:

holy god that show has not aged well

It's 1990s television CGI, what did you expect? As far as that range of quality goes, it was one of the best looking shows on at the time. Plus, nostalgia goggles firmly on, I think that the art direction and use of shadows in the show help forgive some of the dated technology.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

we are all extremely lucky starship troopers was made exactly when it was. a few years later and it would have been completely CGI and it would look poo poo today, a few years earlier and it would have been all janky stop motion. but its both when it needs to be and its drat near perfect

I wouldn't have minded janky stop motion. I actually really like late-era stop motion, the kind of stop motion that existed just before Jurassic Park came out. That monster that Dan Akroyd fights in the Coneheads movie, for example. Or the ED-209 in Robocop. Clash of the Titans came out in 1981 and i love the ray harryhausen effects in that. Phil Tippet's stop-motion dinosaurs were featured in a documentary in the 1980s. So in my opinion, an early 90s stop-motion Starship Troopers would've looked pretty cool.

Just want to add to the chorus that Starship Troopers is fantastic. Basil Pouledoris did the music. He also did the music for Robocop. Another movie that he scored is Conan the Barbarian, is another fantastic movie, though it was directed by John Milius, not Paul Verhoeven.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He also did Hunt for Red October. Dude was amazing.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Oddly enough, the novel Armor by John Steakley is more like the Starship Troopers movie than the actual Starship Troopers novel.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I had no idea there were two Starship sequels much in the same way I had no idea there were like three Scanners sequels. I'm guessing they were never big movies.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Wrageowrapper posted:

I had no idea there were two Starship sequels much in the same way I had no idea there were like three Scanners sequels. I'm guessing they were never big movies.

They were direct to video and awful

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
People who think Starship Troopers glamorizes fascism really need to read SM Stirling's "The Domination" series.

Though "The Peshawar Lancers" is solid fun.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
how many of the rlm boys do you think are secretly ayn rand fans? and is it bad that I suspect it's mike rich and jay?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

They were direct to video and awful

Well me, personally? I loved it!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dreezy posted:

how many of the rlm boys do you think are secretly ayn rand fans? and is it bad that I suspect it's mike rich and jay?

well mike bootstrapped himself into 23k/mo in patreon money, the other guys did stuff too i guess but mikes the biggest chance imo

the irony of ones fortune being gained from review of more fortunate peoples work is only silently realised by jay

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Creating content people would want to watch on a regular basis is a tricky thing, judging from all the crap cluttering up my youtube recommendations. More power to em.

My hope is to get coworkers hooked on watching them too so I can yap about them during my lunch break.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The weirdest thing from the book (which I didn't read) that seemingly got left in the movie was a part where one of the spiders actually rapes a female soldier and then in the movie we see the girl who wants to get pregnant dragged off to a hole in the ground but not murdered for some reason by one of the spiders.

That and everything else I've heard about Heinlen definitely makes me sure he's some kind of sex pervert. I did try reading Stranger in a Strange Land but I just couldn't get into it at all, which is too bad because most my friends think it's a great novel.

Back in the 90s the bug rape scene was mentioned before the movie came out, I think, as something the filmmakers decided was a thing too much and cut it from the film. A 1996 scoop from Corona's Coming Attractions has the following:

"I recently read an article in Deja News from someone claiming to have seen "six incrediable pictures of Starship Troopers." One was a Marine cut in half, his upper part being dragged by others. Another was aMarine with his arm bitten off. He also claims that Verhoeven has filmed scenes where a spider rapes a marine! He also understandably thinks that this scene will probably be cut from the finished film."

At some point after the film came out I could have sworn someone admitted to the scene actually being filmed but they ultimately not only didn't use it but also destroyed/deleted the footage.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate the fact that if mike or jay suddenly came out with some alt-right screed it would sour the whole thing for me. At the moment they manage to piss off only the most extremes of "both sides" since you have to be the type to even notice that sort of stuff. They'll point out lovely sexism and racism in movies and say that's bad, but also sometimes they make off-colour jokes or roll their eyes at tumblr politics. I think they're pretty ok dudes but don't want to be proven wrong.

For some people out there not liking ghostbusters makes you a crypto-altright anti-feminist. I've run into a couple people who say RLM is just gamergate levels of sexism and alt-right hatred because they really hammered on ghostbusters. No I didn't watch their videos but anyone who publicly makes a big deal about saying the movie is bad is clearly virtue-signalling they are on team alt-right, obviously. It's the only reason to not like it.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 14, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

dreezy posted:

Given their hatred of Synder's work, 0.

Baronjutter posted:

I hate the fact that if mike or jay suddenly came out with some alt-right screed it would sour the whole thing for me. At the moment they manage to piss off only the most extremes of "both sides" since you have to be the type to even notice that sort of stuff. They'll point out lovely sexism and racism in movies and say that's bad, but also sometimes they make off-colour jokes or roll their eyes at tumblr politics. I think they're pretty ok dudes but don't want to be proven wrong.

Le same.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQRmacNGFkM

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'd like to think the RLM gang is less alt-right and more "tweaking the noses of easily offended people on both sides". At least I hope so

Also there was one PreReq where Rich was kind of pooh-poohing the protests against Trump, but more in a "he won, protesting now just looks like sour grapes, let's at least wait until he inevitably fucks up" kind of way. While Jack was much more on the "it's their Constitutional right and good on 'em for exercising it" side of things. So Jack's definitely OK in my book :patriot:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'd like to think the RLM gang is less alt-right and more "tweaking the noses of easily offended people on both sides". At least I hope so

they're just moderate midwesterners with lower levels of cultural awareness outside of pop culture and film stuff. there was that one wheel of the worst with s.o.s. and none of them could recognize written japanese on the back of the box. jack and rich are video game nerds, what kind of video game nerd doesn't at least know what japanese looks like

but yeah they just make crass jokes. mike likes to make highly off-color jokes and this is mistaken for alt-right sensibility when really he'd make fun of alt-right internet nerds too if they crossed his path. look at how much all of them piss on star wars fandom and turbonerd star wars geeks

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
In a pre-rec stream Jack talks about how he was tricked into going to a gay bar to see a furry stripshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Buschmaki posted:

In a pre-rec stream Jack talks about how he was tricked into going to a gay bar to see a furry stripshow.

Jack and Jay chatting while Rich occasionally interjects is my fav pre rec stream type. I love Rich but there is such a thing as TOO MUCH Rich.

• Locked thread