Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I've used mine to repair a broken arm once. The peg snapped off, so I super glued a snipping on then used nail polish to thicken it until the arm fit back on. Was great.

Are there any instructions on using them as putty or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Gyra_Solune posted:

i've only really started in January too and yet the boxes are starting to pile up...

also are there any applications for empty runners

48:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTm77JFk9HI&t=2923s

I learned from that guy how to use sprues to fill in seam lines without using expensive putty.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Despite taking forever to build, I've enjoyed the pg strike so far. These mechanical details are just great.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So being a Macross kid I never really saw any Gundam series and decided to rectify that by getting the original MSG series. I'm probably preaching to the choir here but goddamn, I was not expecting a show in '79 to be a smart war story that happened to feature giant robots and androgynous men in shogun space helmets.

I'm so happy that I went to the local hobby shop and purchased an RG RX-78-2 kit without hesitation and I already have my eyes set on Char's Zaku as well. This is my secret plea for help.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
All things considered, it does a surprisingly good job mashing The Count of Monte Cristo with Animal Farm

As for your plea for help: all will be well once you buy RG Char's Z'Gok. You totally wont commit to buying all his robotmen afterwards.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

al-azad posted:

So being a Macross kid I never really saw any Gundam series and decided to rectify that by getting the original MSG series. I'm probably preaching to the choir here but goddamn, I was not expecting a show in '79 to be a smart war story that happened to feature giant robots and androgynous men in shogun space helmets.

I'm so happy that I went to the local hobby shop and purchased an RG RX-78-2 kit without hesitation and I already have my eyes set on Char's Zaku as well. This is my secret plea for help.

Check out MS 08th team for the perspective from grunts on Earth.

Also, buy an MG Acguy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

(go here for more: http://dalong.net/review/mg/m84/m84_p.htm)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

al-azad posted:

Skip the RG Char Zaku and get the Origin Zaku instead. The RG Char Zaku doesn't have the standard 2-part hands which are much better than the flexible hands that the RG kit only comes with.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Well, I decided on picking up the 1/100 Gusion for my big paint project. Tallgeese sounded like a good kit but I can't get into the visual design at all. Gusion looks too rad. Now to figure out a paint scheme...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Skip the RG Char Zaku and get the Origin Zaku instead. The RG Char Zaku doesn't have the standard 2-part hands which are much better than the flexible hands that the RG kit only comes with.

What makes 2-part hands more desirable? Is it a posing thing?

Also what's the deal with the Origin line? I saw the MG RX ver3 and MG RX Origin and the Origin model was missing a few things like the stupid(ly awesome) Gundam Hammer.

e: Looking at a review for some RG models I can definitely see a problem with the multi-jointed individual hands where holding small arms is difficult.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

What makes 2-part hands more desirable? Is it a posing thing?

Also what's the deal with the Origin line? I saw the MG RX ver3 and MG RX Origin and the Origin model was missing a few things like the stupid(ly awesome) Gundam Hammer.

e: Looking at a review for some RG models I can definitely see a problem with the multi-jointed individual hands where holding small arms is difficult.

Origin is a manga re-imagining of the original MSG that has gotten some OVAs recently. The Origin RX is a model of the Gundam as it appears in the Origin, where it is somewhat redesigned, most obviously with the shoulder cannon.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So, are we ever going to get those new action bases that're included with some kits?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i imagine the problem with fully flexible hands is they just suck at holding stuff and rely too much on the strength of tiny ball joints to keep things in place

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Any tips for getting stress marks and divots when cutting? I'm using a cheap Xuron nipper to cut the thick pieces away from the part and then the Gundam Planet nippers to cut away at the nubs and then using my knife to shave away the rest. Most of the time I still leave little divots and stress marks. I'm not really in a position to paint right now but I plan on trying an airbrush in a few months.

Using this guide: https://gunbies.com/how-tos-tips-and-tricks-tutorials/removing-nib-marks/

screech on the beach fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 14, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

For stress marks, wet cutting/sanding works great. There's all sorts of ways to do it, but for me, when I shave down a part, wetting a finger and running it across the stress mark makes the white area completely disappear, even on darker plastics. As for divots, that's just something you learn to avoid through practice.

Personally though, I hate sanding, if just because no matter what you do or how fine sandpaper you use, if you aren't painting, it will always look matte in that one particular spot. So I just cut and wet.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

For stress marks, wet cutting/sanding works great. There's all sorts of ways to do it, but for me, when I shave down a part, wetting a finger and running it across the stress mark makes the white area completely disappear, even on darker plastics. As for divots, that's just something you learn to avoid through practice.

Personally though, I hate sanding, if just because no matter what you do or how fine sandpaper you use, if you aren't painting, it will always look matte in that one particular spot. So I just cut and wet.

Re: sanding, I've found using a nail buffing block helps you get most of the shine back. Not all of it, but enough that you have to look really close to see a different.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Alternative: scrub all parts with a melamine sponge to reduce the plasticky shine and minimize knit lines in darker colors.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Wet-sanding or washing the pieces afterward both work well for getting the plastic dust out of the groove of sanding. I prefer washing afterward because I already use too many steps to clean up pieces, especially if I'm going full-dedication* on a kit.

*Sanding in this case goes file->400->600->800->1000->1500->2000. After a wipedown, the piece looks pretty like-new.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Thanks for the tips. For sanding spots, I've been using a technique I learned in this thread. I dab a little olive oil on a qtip and rub it on the matte area after sanding and it looks like new.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
having no intention of painting anything, i try to avoid sanding whenever possible to avoid the matte look but

screech on the beach posted:

Thanks for the tips. For sanding spots, I've been using a technique I learned in this thread. I dab a little olive oil on a qtip and rub it on the matte area after sanding and it looks like new.

i gota try this :eyepop:

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
The fiancée knows me well, allowing me to continue my streak of "old-as-balls kits:"

She got me a Perfect Grade Char's Zaku! You know, because all 1/60 kits from the 80s are PGs, right? :v:
Don't mind the Kermit.

Look at this goofy thing.

Glue is required. No snap-fit here.

Unfortunately, I won't get to start this kit for a while yet. I have an RG Sinanju to finish, and teaching middle schoolers/grading their papers is also a bit more priority. I've been informed, however, that the fiancée will enjoy both watching me build, as well as curse profusely at the absurdity (and gluing required) at this kit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinde posted:

The fiancée knows me well, allowing me to continue my streak of "old-as-balls kits:"

She got me a Perfect Grade Char's Zaku! You know, because all 1/60 kits from the 80s are PGs, right? :v:
Don't mind the Kermit.

Look at this goofy thing.

Glue is required. No snap-fit here.

Unfortunately, I won't get to start this kit for a while yet. I have an RG Sinanju to finish, and teaching middle schoolers/grading their papers is also a bit more priority. I've been informed, however, that the fiancée will enjoy both watching me build, as well as curse profusely at the absurdity (and gluing required) at this kit.

Sit your fiancée down for the RG Sinanju as well, because getting the forearms to sit right will drive you up the wall.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Is watching a stream of people building models something people in here would be interested in knowing about? Because that's a thing I do every week and I'll post about it when it's happening if people want to see it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I want to learn how to paint my gunpla. Anything I need to know? How much investment do I need to get started? What online resources can I follow?

My friend is celebrating her birthday in a month and I'm thinking of building her a gunpla because we're nerdy as hell. Her favorite color is red so I'm thinking of building a Qubeley Mk-II for her, though I'd like to know if there are other suitable picks. I'm thinking of Amazing Red Warrior but I'm looking for something feminine-looking. Any ideas?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schneider Heim posted:

I want to learn how to paint my gunpla. Anything I need to know? How much investment do I need to get started? What online resources can I follow?

My friend is celebrating her birthday in a month and I'm thinking of building her a gunpla because we're nerdy as hell. Her favorite color is red so I'm thinking of building a Qubeley Mk-II for her, though I'd like to know if there are other suitable picks. I'm thinking of Amazing Red Warrior but I'm looking for something feminine-looking. Any ideas?

GN Archer

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Schneider Heim posted:

Go look in the miniature painting thread for advice since you can use basically all the same techniques. You're going to want an airbrush setup, so definitely read that section of the OP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Schneider Heim posted:

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans has some great red mobile suits with kits. Take a look at the Grimgerde, Ryusei-Go Graze, Astaroth Origin Gundam, and the Flauros Gundam.

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Char Z'Gok

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Schneider Heim posted:

Thin your paints

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Schneider Heim posted:

http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide

Read through all of that and decide how much time and money you want to throw at it.

Note your first paint probably won't be the best, but if you take your time and do the prep it should turn out okay.

Your best bet would probably be to panel line and top coat to start off with to get the hang of it.

General rule of thumb I've devised from all the reading is primer > base coat > topcoat clear > decals/panel lining > topcoat matte/satin/clear depending on final finish you want.

I've been hand painting part of my strike MG and it's taken me 4 weeks just to do the backpack due to space and time requirements.

Airbrush if you have the space will be much harder quicker.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thin your paints

Also, this x100000000.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 15, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

In addition to what's already been posted, this PDF is just about everything you could ever do to a kit. I wouldn't try all of this in your first build by any means, but it has the basics as well as a ton of advanced techniques.

http://funakatown.com/2014/11/download-my-massive-how-to-build-gunpla-guide/

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
So I've seen a handful of pictures of some program where you can set up a picture of a model and then fill in with custom colors so you can see what the kit will look like before you paint it (and they used either tamiya or mr color line as a color swatch). I've now ruined two kits with bad some bad custom color planning, so this would be immensely helpful, but now I can't find any examples at the moment. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Did I just imagine this?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm not really up to date with the show, but the Thunderbolt Rick Dom kicks all sorts of rear end.

HG sooner rather than later, Bandai.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
:siren: MAY I HAVE EVERYONE'S ATTENTION! :siren:

IT'S TIME!!!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm not big on the scythe design, but that ribcage chest is top notch.

I hope the cloak is on a swivel or similar joint; they'd look better splayed horizontally like wings rather than just freaking out upwards.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TaurusOxford posted:

:siren: MAY I HAVE EVERYONE'S ATTENTION! :siren:

IT'S TIME!!!

*WARNING: CONTAINS DANGEROUS LEVELS OF 1990s*

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

screech on the beach posted:

Any tips for getting stress marks and divots when cutting? I'm using a cheap Xuron nipper to cut the thick pieces away from the part and then the Gundam Planet nippers to cut away at the nubs and then using my knife to shave away the rest. Most of the time I still leave little divots and stress marks. I'm not really in a position to paint right now but I plan on trying an airbrush in a few months.

Using this guide: https://gunbies.com/how-tos-tips-and-tricks-tutorials/removing-nib-marks/

I think somewhere in this thread a bit ago, there was a link to a video using cement and a sprue of the same color.

Basically, you cut a stick of sprue, apply cement to the nub mark and the cut edge of the sprue, and rub A onto B until blended. Let it cure, then progressive sand away to a smooth surface.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Potential BFF posted:

I'm not really up to date with the show, but the Thunderbolt Rick Dom kicks all sorts of rear end.

HG sooner rather than later, Bandai.

I haven't started building them yet but the HG Thunderbolt GM and Zaku II + Big Gun seem pretty sweet. More astronaut suits, I say.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

I'm not big on the scythe design, but that ribcage chest is top notch.

I hope the cloak is on a swivel or similar joint; they'd look better splayed horizontally like wings rather than just freaking out upwards.

That's just how Deathscythe Hell do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I haven't started building them yet but the HG Thunderbolt GM and Zaku II + Big Gun seem pretty sweet. More astronaut suits, I say.

The Zaku II is "okay", but it's definitely one of the weaker Zaku releases in recent memory. It has great detailing, but the arms are a bit too long, the legs a bit too short, and the articulation a bit too stiff and the monoeye a bit too loose.
The Psyco Zaku II however is great.

Real Grade Dendrobium Stamen or custom build?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 15, 2017