Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Poor Slovaks. Even when it comes to irritants, they get crowded out by the Czechs and Hungarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

"Hitler was Australian."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fresh from the redditor pens:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm the cultural monolith stretching from Freetown to Uganda.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'm the cultureless robots in Suriname and the Gu(i/y)anas.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm Latin American East Timor.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm the map being banned in both the PRC and ROC.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Spanish bigger trolling was naming Filipinas to a group of people that can't pronounce the letter F.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Tei posted:

Spanish bigger trolling was naming Filipinas to a group of people that can't pronounce the letter F.

Haha those wacky pinoys!

Just like how East Asians can't say "L"

You're so hilarious, Tei.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tei posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Spanish_language#Latin_f-_to_Spanish_h-

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

there are more Christians than Buddhists in Korea.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
I'm Western European Transylvania.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Duckbag posted:

I'm the cultureless robots in Suriname and the Gu(i/y)anas.

Those are all non-Spanish-speaking Caribbean.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Squalid fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 14, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'm the inexplicable purple part of the graph.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Vorpal Cat posted:

catholic good orthodox bad. (yes i know there are romanians in transylvania but hungarian supremacism seems like something sam huntington would have been big into so)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm the absorption lines.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Vorpal Cat posted:

I'm Western cultured Voivodina.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Gigantic sub-Saharan Africa has greater variety in language, ethnicity, culture, food, religion, history, and climate than "Europe" but it gets to be this one huge thing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm the Orthodox Territories and Western with latam Influence that are pretty much the exact same loving colour.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 14, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I didn't realize there was two shades of light blue so I kept trying to figure out how Texas was Russian.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Peanut President posted:

I didn't realize there was two shades of light blue so I kept trying to figure out how Texas was Russian.

It's true, I'm wearing a kamilavka with my cowboy boots right now

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
I'm Latin American Philipines and Buddhist North Korea. Also, India is solid orange instead of being partially green.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang

nevermind the purple, what does orange represent?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
BPP and other Maoist aspects of the radical black tradition.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Oh yeah India has a number of muslims equal to 60% of the US population.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Chelb posted:

It's true, I'm wearing a kamilavka with my cowboy boots right now

Yeehaw, comrade.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Yeehaw, comrade.

As if clergy would ever use a term like "comrade" in that manner. Try "Khristos voskrese, pardner" instead.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

there are more Christians than Buddhists in Korea.

Yeah, Christianity and (Neo-)Confucianism have way more influence on modern Korean society and culture than Buddhism.

I wonder* how the mapmaker defined each group.

* I don't actually wonder they obviously completely pulled it all out of their rear end I mean all of sub-Saharan Africa as a giant monolithic group ("idk black ppl I guess lol") while Europe gets a bunch of little groupings and loving Texas gets its own little snowflake grouping?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Peanut President posted:

Yeehaw, comrade.

Nyet, y’all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

icantfindaname posted:

I'm the Latin Americans winning a culture war against the West.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I'm the Latin Americans winning a culture war against the West.

The UK and its North American offshoots: all "Western". The Iberian countries: both "Western". Their American offshoots: all "Latin American".

Also: the western half of Ukraine is "western" for some reason.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

The UK and its North American offshoots: all "Western". The Iberian countries: both "Western". Their American offshoots: all "Latin American".

Also: the western half of Ukraine is "western" for some reason.

if it's political, rather than cultural spheres, then western Ukraine being aligned with the west would make sense, but then Greece and the Balkans bar Serbia should be affiliated with the western rather than "Orthodox" sphere of influence.

I wonder why the base map only breaks up the US, Canada, Russia, China and Australia into their subdivisions? At the very least you'd think India would be added for the size and autonomy of its states?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Gigantic sub-Saharan Africa has greater variety in language, ethnicity, culture, food, religion, history, and climate than "Europe" but it gets to be this one huge thing.

Ethiopia doesn't fit, but it seems mapmakers rarely know what to do with it.

Not a bad attempt, though it lacks detail for anything south of the Tropic of Cancer and east of Afghanistan and it has superfluous detail in other parts. Why split up Ukraine based on recent geopolitical developments, but not India, which is a federal state known for having issues with internal cohesion? What is the point of the leftover Buddhist category in East Asia; why do China and Japan get their own categories?

6/10 he tried

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Phlegmish posted:

Tbf, Niger-Congo has major typological problems outside of Bantu, even if its not quite the mess that Nilo-Saharan is. Sub-Saharan Africa is obviously more diverse linguistically than Europe, even if we shouldn't underestimate Europe's historical diversity.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Not a bad attempt, though it lacks detail for anything south of the Tropic of Cancer and east of Afghanistan and it has superfluous detail in other parts. Why split up Ukraine based on recent geopolitical developments, but not India, which is a federal state known for having issues with internal cohesion? What is the point of the leftover Buddhist category in East Asia; why do China and Japan get their own categories?

6/10 he tried

Niger-Congo is bullshit.

Also Kenya is a little bigger than France, Zimbabwe is a little bigger than Germany, and Nigeria is just slightly larger north to south than the island of Britain. They're "small" African countries. That person doesn't get a 6, hell no.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Phlegmish posted:

though it lacks detail for anything south of the Tropic of Cancer and east of Afghanistan

So, it's a typical western-made map.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

6/10 he tried

I enjoy maps like this.

Ukraine is split in Huntington's original Clash of Civilization's map, which I assume is the inspiration for this map. Given recent geopolitical events, I'd say the split was justified.

But it does beg the question: what is the author trying to measure here?

Turkey gets its own colour, as does Israel. But Islam is not split between Sunni/Shia, nor Arab/Turkic/Persian.

The southern US is "latin influenced"-- what parts of the world are "western influenced"? I'd say quite a lot!

China being shrunk down is interesting. You could also use "Sinophere" and include Vietnam, Korea and maybe other places.

South Africa is also purely African, instead of being partially or wholly western. Oh how times change.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Speaking of silly divisions of the world, I made something a while back. The countries of the world sorted to make everyone* much happier.

*Does not actually include everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

pulling antarctica off the south pole prompting a massive glacial melting, drowning the earth's coastal regions