Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DoctorWhat posted:

Console monhun is an abomination. Portable only, forever.

For real, MonHun on Switch will be BONKERS. I would go from Zelda to it and maybe nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

Console monhun is an abomination. Portable only, forever.

I played it on my PSP.

Using video out.

To my TV.

I also played it on my PSP. Using remotejoy.

Big screens forever :colbert:

(I also had it on 3DS, and used the hell out of the transfer save program to play on the go and at home)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's not a single game on the Wii U that was original that I wanderful oNE OH WAAAAAAN

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

i admire these ads but i really hate the songs and the music they keep going for. it feels like the most mundane stock 'feel good' music ever
I'll take mundane stock feel good music over the Wii U ad's music:

https://youtu.be/TVmW_qM1mmg

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

japtor posted:

I'll take mundane stock feel good music over the Wii U ad's music:

https://youtu.be/TVmW_qM1mmg

I'm smashing my Wii U and crying

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

i admire these ads but i really hate the songs and the music they keep going for. it feels like the most mundane stock 'feel good' music ever

I automatically associate ukuleles and non-offensive indierockpop bands with marketing firms now. Plink plink plink buy our shiiiiit.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A while back I experimented on some broken phones and tried to scratch the screens, and couldn't do it with a serrated scuba diving knife or steel wool. The only things I had that could put scuffs on the screen were coarse metal polishing compound and ceramic files with synthetic sapphire. If you are scratching modern touchscreens on accident, you are doing some insane loving poo poo.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

A while back I experimented on some broken phones and tried to scratch the screens, and couldn't do it with a serrated scuba diving knife or steel wool. The only things I had that could put scuffs on the screen were coarse metal polishing compound and ceramic files with synthetic sapphire. If you are scratching modern touchscreens on accident, you are doing some insane loving poo poo.

Sitting on a sled made out of them and sledding down a hill made from diamonds.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

weird how no one is bothered about the lack of backwards compatibility on this thing when it was a major complaint from the nintendoine quarters of city 34 during the ps4 hype cycle

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lots of people are bothered

stop the trollin

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm not bothered, but then again, I'm keeping my Wii U.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

well why not posted:

lots of people are bothered

stop the trollin

its not a troll i genuinely expected more of a backlash from people its a major break from their other handhelds where backwards compat has been standard

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Try drop

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Stux posted:

weird how no one is bothered about the lack of backwards compatibility on this thing when it was a major complaint from the nintendoine quarters of city 34 during the ps4 hype cycle

Maybe because no-one really cares? For most people the Wii U might as well not exist.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rexroom posted:

Maybe because no-one really cares? For most people the Wii U might as well not exist.

wouldnt that mean bc would be a plus tho because the hordes of people buying a switch can then also try out the many wii u games they missed out on?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

It might be that people are so used to no backwards compatibility for the last three years and that the Switch seems so different from the WiiU hardware wise that there isn't the possibility of worrying. A bit like how people didn't really worry too much about the 3DS not having backwards compatibility with the Wii. They're so different in terms of hardware. The lack of a optical slot.

Aside from VC games, which a lot of us are hoping do transfer in some fashion.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Glad I'm not the only one who hates/is really bothered by screen protectors. Just don't be an idiot and you won't have to literally put a sheet of plastic over something designed for viewing things on

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

It might be that people are so used to no backwards compatibility for the last three years and that the Switch seems so different from the WiiU hardware wise that there isn't the possibility of worrying. A bit like how people didn't really worry too much about the 3DS not having backwards compatibility with the Wii. They're so different in terms of hardware. The lack of a optical slot.

Aside from VC games, which a lot of us are hoping do transfer in some fashion.

backwards compat isnt an issue of hardware similarity though. also lack of similar physical media isnt really that big a deal in this digital age. also fix my av.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i cant wait for the buyer's remorse in a year

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Stux posted:

its not a troll i genuinely expected more of a backlash from people its a major break from their other handhelds where backwards compat has been standard

there was a small backlash but most people understand that platforms rarely have backward compatibility, particularly not at launch. Backwards compat is kinda in the weird spot where it's super important for a portion of the user base. VC makes it better.

Like, I just found out the other day that 3DS can play DS games. Other people wouldn't have bought a 3DS without that. It's really personal.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Stux posted:

backwards compat isnt an issue of hardware similarity though. also lack of similar physical media isnt really that big a deal in this digital age. also fix my av.

You're right. It's a software thing. And so far nothing suggests that an emulator is capable of running Wii U games at acceptable levels on the Switch.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
but we're in the middle of the HD remaster generation why would they have backwards compatibility when they can just re-release the game and charge full price

like they are doing with Mario Kart 8

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

goddamn do i want Wii U ports tho. SM3DW, Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Wooly World, Windwaker HD would all be day-one purchases for me.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

It is on Nintendo systems. The backwards compatibility part comes from having the same hardware within the console/handheld that allows you to run the older games and there is no optical slot for physical Gamecube, Wii or WiiU games.

If we're talking software then it is encompassed by us hoping our eshop and VC stuff might transfer, which was mentioned earlier.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gonna double dip on the Platinum Pack. Wonderful 101, Bayo 1+2 and Metroid: Dread.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Stux posted:

yah its def not been mentioned in any of the previous 800 pages

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

people not posting about something over and over again = "people not bothered about thing"

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
please dont let stux troll you so easily, nintendo thread

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I watched the wii u reveal trailer by way of comparison and they pretty much just constantly call it a new controller the whole time while showing wii games being played with it. It's kind of amazing how bad they hosed up the wii u marketing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

:allears:

The Wii U marketing was a complete shitshow, but I think the logic in play here was that the Wii U's controller was the thing that made it stand out and be different from the other consoles it was competing against. So they spent a lot of time showing off the controller because the controller is the way you interact with the game, and I'm going to notice if the controller has a gyro or a screen or a touchpad or a lightbar or analog stick whatever before I'm going to notice that a console has 5% better pixels.

But like everyone said, Nintendo got so wrapped up in "check out the new controller" that they forgot to bring up that it's attached to a new console and not an add-on for the Wii despite being named like a Wii accessory, so v:v:v

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I watched the wii u reveal trailer by way of comparison and they pretty much just constantly call it a new controller the whole time while showing wii games being played with it. It's kind of amazing how bad they hosed up the wii u marketing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

:allears:

They also show the Wii Balance Board and the Wii Remote, making it seem like "hey look, now there's a tablet controller, too." I saw the E3 console so I understood that it was a new console, but it's a lot easy to understand why my friends thought it was just a controller when I look at that reveal trailer.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Time magazine interview with Miyamoto is up.

Shigeru Miyamoto posted:

I know you weren't as personally involved with Switch's development, but were there any tables flipped?
Nothing really in terms of 180 degrees, but myself, Mr. Takeda and Mr. Iwata were more providing feedback during development. So a lot of the younger staff would give us presentations, and we would give them feedback and make decisions if necessary. The feedback that we did provide I think was put to good use, and I don't think there were any times where we had major clashes of ideas. If anything, we had to think about how to make Switch unique, and there's a certain cost associated with that. So it was like, "Oh my God, it's going to be a lot more expensive. How are we going to deal with this?" We struggled with that together as a team.
---
I mentioned that Mr. Iwata, Mr. Takeda and myself provided feedback and made decisions, but ultimately Mr. Iwata was the head of development, so he put a lot of thought and time into Switch. I think that the idea of Nintendo Switch being a device you can take out and anywhere, and the idea of it being a system that really allows networking and communicating with people, I think that's something Mr. Iwata put a lot of emphasis on.
---
I've read you weren't a fan of story-heavy games early in your career. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is clearly more story-driven than the franchise's earliest installments. What are your thoughts these days on story in games?
Let me start off by saying that Mr. Aonuma [Eiji Aonuma, the game's producer] and his team, instead of creating a game where you're playing the story, you yourself are embarking on an adventure, and I think they've found a unique way to strike a balance between the story and the fact that you're on an adventure. It's not that I don't like story, that I'm denying the importance of story. I think after someone has played a game, it's important that a story lingers in their mind. But what I do think is a challenge, is to cut down on playtime to set up and explain a story that's already been set.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's nice to hear that the Switch may be Iwata's swan song :unsmith:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Breath of the Wild is getting DLC in Summer and at the end of the year.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/831488352910209026

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I barely ever really played my Wii U. Feels like such a waste.

I feel like Nintendo hasn't really had a very good console since the GameCube, but their handhelds are always the best in the business. While my Wii U languished, my 3DS got a lot of play. I just really wished I could play DS and 3DS games on my TV, Super GameBoy style.

So... I suppose if we look at the Switch as a console, it's really disappointing... but maybe it'll be a good handheld.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Breath of the Wild is getting DLC in Summer and at the end of the year.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/831488352910209026

Goddammit Nintendo.
Well at least Nintendo DLC is pretty decent and they don't half arse poo poo.

At the same time.. MORE ZELDA?! :swoon:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gonna be playing the gently caress out of some New Game+ mode I tell you hwat

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

I barely ever really played my Wii U. Feels like such a waste.

I feel like Nintendo hasn't really had a very good console since the GameCube, but their handhelds are always the best in the business. While my Wii U languished, my 3DS got a lot of play. I just really wished I could play DS and 3DS games on my TV, Super GameBoy style.

So... I suppose if we look at the Switch as a console, it's really disappointing... but maybe it'll be a good handheld.
The Wii was a good console.

The WiiU was a good console.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Details of the DLC
https://youtu.be/vbbZslUchyA

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Is that the exact same video I linked above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Apparently one of the items in the first chest is a Nintendo Switch shirt. The other 2 are 'useful'

• Locked thread