Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

Jinnigan posted:

i moved my warhammer install from an HD to an SSD and just about literally cut my load time to 1/4th

I went from 2-3 minutes to 10-20 seconds. Total War and SSDs are a real solid combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Local Region and Local Province are indeed mechanically distinct things. Regions make up a province. You can see this easily with the Castellan-Engineer office for the Empire. -10% construction cost in the local region. Try moving the lord with that title around in a province and see how costs change depending on which settlement/region he's in.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Can't be arsed to download Warhammer again, so I guess I should find a way to get steam to accept it even if I move it to my SSD.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Rincewinds posted:

Can't be arsed to download Warhammer again, so I guess I should find a way to get steam to accept it even if I move it to my SSD.
Click 'Backup and Restore Games' under the steam tab if you want to move it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Copy the data to your new hard drive, uninstall the game from steam. Install it again and point the location to where you moved your files. Steam will now discover the files and everything will be fine. I've found it to be faster than the backup and restore feature, but ymmv.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Might only be in the beta

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

What are good Empire-centric army compositions to deal with armies like Bretonnia's cavalry or Wood Elves' skirmishers?

Also, is it possible to have two armies siege a town? If not, what's the best way to deal with a town with both a decent garrison and a full stack army in it?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Rincewinds posted:

Use this, it's works fine.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

What are good Empire-centric army compositions to deal with armies like Bretonnia's cavalry or Wood Elves' skirmishers?

Also, is it possible to have two armies siege a town? If not, what's the best way to deal with a town with both a decent garrison and a full stack army in it?

You can have only one sieging army and other armies will join as reinforcements if they are within range in the campaign map when you begin the assault.

Hey, look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XetTBjCw6TU

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 14, 2017

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Is Isabella gonna be a legendary lord? (I couldn't listen to the sound!)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Southpaugh posted:

It doesn't say, it could go either way. The only solid mechanical info there is that if both Isabella and Vlad are in the same battle, they both get bonuses. But the way it's worded, it could mean either she'll be a Lord in her own right or as one of those long-mooted Legendary Heroes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It says she's a Legendary Lord in the video description.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Southpaugh posted:

I would have said super vampire hero instead, then it could be used elsewhere for eg Krell

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Mortars and handgunners to deal with heavy infantry/cavalry/lords, mortars and crossbowmen for lightly armored or ranged opponents like wood elves. In the early game I try to have 2-3 hand gunners, 2-3 mortars, and 3-4 crossbowmen in my main stack. By the time you hit the late game and can field multiple stacks I typically switch to mostly handgunners as my ranged. It's still good to keep some crossbowmen though.

You can have up to four armies attack a town at once, as long as they're all within reinforcement range of the battle.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Isabella is an LL. The TW Facebook is a stream of comments with people asking if she will and the TW team saying (nicely) "Yes, look at the loving picture with it in all-caps."

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Night10194 posted:

It says she's a Legendary Lord in the video description.

Whoooops. Anyway cool, even less reason to use Heinrich Kemmler now.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

John Charity Spring posted:

Whoooops. Anyway cool, even less reason to use Heinrich Kemmler now.

I cannot wait till they boost him. Also it'd be cool to give him a Skarsnik gimmick. He's supposed to be THE necromancer, not a Carstein toady, so have him buff zombies and wights and ban him from using vampiric units until he takes Drakenhof and forces them to serve him. He can start in Bretonnia.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

vintagepurple posted:

I cannot wait till they boost him. Also it'd be cool to give him a Skarsnik gimmick. He's supposed to be THE necromancer, not a Carstein toady, so have him buff zombies and wights and ban him from using vampiric units until he takes Drakenhof and forces them to serve him. He can start in Bretonnia.

Yeah I'd love something like this, maybe even a Red Duke/Kemmler LL combo for a playable Mousillon, and maybe even make him a dual-model single-unit lord (again like Skarsnik with Gobbla) to represent Krell being with him the whole time, and that would actually give his +melee magic items some reason to exist too. But that's all pie in the sky stuff.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
MLNW voting is now open! You can now vote for... a bunch of completely unrelated games.

I wonder if they'll allow multiple armies to deploy simultaneously for Vlad and Isabella. Otherwise, what is the point of the combat bonuses they give each other if they will end up on opposite sides of the map due to reinforcements half the time or not be deployed at the same time at all because of lightning strike.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
I guess its for.. the games they're supposed to play..? I.. what?

This whole thing confuses me to my core, ive picked a faction what else must i do??

Edit: i guess this is how it works!

quote:

HOW IT WORKS

What is Make War Not Love?

Make War Not Love is an annual celebration of all our great strategy games and studios, it’s an opportunity to have some fun and a chance to foster a bit of friendly rivalry amongst ourselves and our great communities!

How do I get involved?

All you need to do is register, pick your faction and then tune in to watch your faction leader take part in various challenges in an attempt to earn points every day to unlock free content for all loyal faction followers.

What are the prizes?

Every day we will award the winning faction with some great DLC for each of the involved titles alongside a SEGA digital title. At the end of the event the overall winning faction will be awarded new digital content for their title.

Great promotions and discounts

As part of MWNL we like to try and make our whole strategy catalogue as easy for anyone to jump in and try as possible. Once the full event kicks off on the 16th Feb, all the titles involved and a wide selection of their associated franchises, are offered at great discounts over on Steam – so there’s never been a better time to try them all out!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 14, 2017

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Yea, that worked nicely, no more loading for minutes for me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XetTBjCw6TU&t=4s

In case anyone missed it, we have our first female legendary lord.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
hey in case anyone was wondering, the next legendary lord is a female vampire count.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

idk what the next legendary lord is but im hearing rumour's it's some kind of orc??

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Finally, Vlad will become a competitive campaign choice.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Another VC start would be nice, I have a buddy who wants to play co-op but I can't bothered dealing with attrition.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like her look a whole whole lot.

It's funny, with all the cool and unique units available to armies, I always find that low-mid tier armies perform on roughly the same level as my other armies. Often I'll have Franz ascend into an army of greatswords, demigryphs, and high-level artillery only to see him get stomped, while an army of crossbows and swords picks up the slack.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Like Shogun 2, TWW does a good job of making the cheap units viable all the way through the late game. Swordsmen/Skelly Warriors are just a solid choice against most things, and an army of all Greatswords usually won't be cost effective.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Robo Captain posted:

Another VC start would be nice, I have a buddy who wants to play co-op but I can't bothered dealing with attrition.
Yeah this. VC will have the most LLs now, but don't have any kind of alternate start. They're at 5, Dwarfs and Greenskins have 4 with some very different start conditions, the Empire and Chaos have 3, Beastmen have 3 each with their own start, and Wood Elves have 2 with mostly similar starts. Bretonnia I actually can't remember but it has to be around 2 or 3. On top of that, in MP, VC have another LL waiting around, as does Empire. Even with all the LLs, they're really hurting for variations in the start. Plus, now that Empire has slowly morphed into hard mode with all of the DLC additions, it'd be nice to have a hardmode VC start as well. They have enough LLs that you could easily add two full factions: A Mousillon one with The Red Duke and Kemmler, Mannfred and Ghorst as the default VC, and then Isabella and Vlad as some kind of resurgent faction. I don't know where you'd put them to start, but a VC start that didn't have the absurdly good Sylvania provinces immediately to hand would be interesting.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I need some tips for Vampire Counts. This is my first serious campaign with them and I'm having tons of trouble wiping out the dwarfs. It feels really strange wading deep into territory where you can't build bases and not having global recruiting available. I'm raising dead but it's not making up for the losses I'm taking.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Haven't played in a while but Greenskins still have an army where like half of their roster is garbage right?

The various wolf riders, chariots, goblins etc

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Isabella as a LL? Dang, so the Vamps get FIVE LLs? I wonder if she'll be able to hold a candle to Vlad the Dad as faction leader.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oswald ownenstein posted:

Haven't played in a while but Greenskins still have an army where like half of their roster is garbage right?

its more like WE where every unit has its use but there is too much role overlap and what make a unit unique doesnt always make it good

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Really hoping they make Ariel a legendary lord for elves eventually. A magic user would nicely round out the existing ranged/melee hybrid and tank they have now.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
A LL for Empire that doesn't suck chodes would be nice I suppose. Preferably free of charge.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I need some tips for Vampire Counts. This is my first serious campaign with them and I'm having tons of trouble wiping out the dwarfs. It feels really strange wading deep into territory where you can't build bases and not having global recruiting available. I'm raising dead but it's not making up for the losses I'm taking.
Are the Greenskins wiped out? Or are you trying to take out the dwarves right near your start position? Either way, supporting the Greenskins against the Dwarfs is a good way to either have the Greenskins win or at least keep the Dwarfs noticeably weaker than they would be otherwise. That said, wiping out the Dwarfs if you leave it for too late is probably one of the most onerous victory conditions in the game, unfortunately. Raiding stance will prevent you from taking attrition in the mountains, at least, but the rapidly decreasing size of elite regiments starts really hurting your Raise Dead pools later in the game, which is a shame. It might take you quite awhile to fully purge the stunties if you can't fully replenish with Raise Dead, but as long as you know that you're winning overall, it'll be inevitable.

Goblins are now fantastic in some armies thanks to some absurd red-line buffs on their new Lord.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

sauer kraut posted:

A LL for Empire that doesn't suck chodes would be nice I suppose. Preferably free of charge.

Karl Franz and Volkmar the Grim are both good. Not as ludicrously powerful as some other LLs but both are very solid and dependable.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Light-cav owns, hth.

Chariots got buffed (seen some replays where they do a lot of work) and now you can play as Snarsnik and buff the hell out of your gobbos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Night Goblin lords giving poison and huge charge bonuses seems like it might make wolf riders usable, since everything I've read has been "go spiders for poison"

I ask because spider riders are silly as hell and wolves are awesome, but everyone on the Internet says they are garbage tier.

• Locked thread