Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
Has anyone grown Good King Henry? The seed catalog makes it sound like the most amazing, versatile plant ever, but wiki says it's mostly a weed. It sounds interesting, but I don't want to introduce an invasive plant I'll be cursing the rest of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I'm trying to find a definitive guide to container gardening vegetables in New-England-type climate (zone 3). I've found too many click bait sites and too many sites that assume you're living in SoCal. I have some indoor space for seed starting and overwintering, but I can't find a good resource. Any recommendations?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm working at UNNAMED FRUIT BOUQUET CHAIN and drat I could start a container pineapple farm. Who wants to spot me 100 20gal pots? I'll pay you back in five years.

post/username combo :raise:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sir Bedevere posted:

...Just needed to yell into the void about fruit trees, I guess. So...Thanks!

Man, I'm jealous of all your trees. I'm desperate to get out of my apartment and into a house with at least a little bit of property so I can start growing things in earnest. I simply don't have room for anything that big right now.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Peristalsis posted:

Has anyone grown Good King Henry? The seed catalog makes it sound like the most amazing, versatile plant ever, but wiki says it's mostly a weed. It sounds interesting, but I don't want to introduce an invasive plant I'll be cursing the rest of my life.

What seed catalog are you browsing? I might want to order some. While I haven't grown it myself, Perennial Vegetables says it has naturalized in the U.S. and Canada, but is not considered invasive. If you don't want it to spread, simply deadhead it before it sets seed or if you do get some unwanted volunteers, just throw some mulch on em. Apparently the seedlings are really spindly the first season but it's urged to not give up hope. Apparently this is a sleep-leap perennial.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 1, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hubis posted:

post/username combo :raise:

Unfortunately the most common suspect bucket is about 5 gallons, and a bit small for my purposes.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Shame Boner posted:

What seed catalog are you browsing? I might want to order some. While I haven't grown it myself, Perennial Vegetables says it has naturalized in the U.S. and Canada, but is not considered invasive. If you don't want it to spread, simply deadhead it before it sets seed or if you do get some unwanted volunteers, just throw some mulch on em. Apparently the seedlings are really spindly the first season but it's urged to not give up hope. Apparently this is a sleep-leap perennial.

Nature and Nurture seeds.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
Neon Noodle, I found this adjustable guide to taking your plants outside. I'm not quite sure if that's the angle you're after, though.

http://www.cheapvegetablegardener.com/when-to-start-your-vegetable-seeds/

Has anyone heard the call in radio show You Bet Your Garden from Philadelphia? I found it in podcast form and have been binging the last few weeks.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Cool, that's extremely helpful!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The fact that we havn't had a freeze at all in Jacksonville this year is weirding me out. I know the minute I decide to put stuff in the ground we'll finally get one. Definitely planning to put in potatoes and carrots at least this month though. Maybe leeks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm in Albuquerque, zone 7a. Is it too early to plant the pair of grape vines and blackberry plants I bought at Lowes the other day? They're two year old plants, if I remember correctly, and consist of a cut-off stalk above a root mass. It's about 60 degrees right now, and nights are getting down to about freezing. It's been a very warm winter in general and the long term forecast doesn't show anything worse than a few nights in the upper 20s for the next month or so. Typical last frost is early-mid April.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm in Albuquerque, zone 7a. Is it too early to plant the pair of grape vines and blackberry plants I bought at Lowes the other day? They're two year old plants, if I remember correctly, and consist of a cut-off stalk above a root mass. It's about 60 degrees right now, and nights are getting down to about freezing. It's been a very warm winter in general and the long term forecast doesn't show anything worse than a few nights in the upper 20s for the next month or so. Typical last frost is early-mid April.

Perennial plants can go in at any time of the year.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Perennial plants can go in at any time of the year.

awesome, thanks!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey folks. Was pointed this way a little while ago. Finally cleaned up the old little greenhouse that the people who used to live here neglected. Now my biggest hurdle is seeds. Do you all have any recommendations for good websites? :shobon: i already grow a nice, hearty tomato and applicable Italian herbs, but I'm looking to expand a little. East Coast, here. Any tips appreciated.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bogart posted:

Hey folks. Was pointed this way a little while ago. Finally cleaned up the old little greenhouse that the people who used to live here neglected. Now my biggest hurdle is seeds. Do you all have any recommendations for good websites? :shobon: i already grow a nice, hearty tomato and applicable Italian herbs, but I'm looking to expand a little. East Coast, here. Any tips appreciated.

I ordered a bunch of seeds from http://www.territorialseed.com/ last year and had really good germination rates. They have a pretty good selection too.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Bogart posted:

I've used http://parkseed.com/ for nearly 20 years now.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Bogart posted:

There are many, many seed sources.

I use Seed Savers Exchange a lot, but they're sort of oriented toward the Midwest. Southern Exposure Seed Exchange is pretty good, but I think they specialize in Southern varieties, so it kind of depends where on the coast you are (they're in Virginia). (I've still had good enough luck with growing their seeds in Wisconsin, but you probably won't want to try to grow okra, for example, in the tundra.)

Johnny's is often mentioned in this thread when this question is asked, as are Baker Creek and High Mowing. Then there's Botanical Interests, Seeds of Change, and Renee's Garden. If you Google "heirloom seed companies east coast", you'll get more results than you can process.

If you don't care about dolphin safe, free range, organic seeds, Ferry Morse and Burpee are a couple of major brands. And honestly, you can do okay just going to the hardware store and buying whatever is on clearance - it'll often grow just fine, at least for fairly easy plants.

And if you know any other gardeners, you can probably get some of their seeds for free. Nobody can plant all 300 radish seeds out of a packet, and people are often glad to get rid of some of the extras. Look for garden clubs or seed swaps/exchanges in your area.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Can we exchange seeds on this forum? I have some (random amounts of each) 'Apple Green' Eggplant, Black Hungarian Pepper, Stupice Tomato, Opalka Tomato, Romanesco Cauliflower seeds that have been in my fridge since last spring that I will not be able to plant this year. I will be away from my house for a couple periods of a week or two during seedling growing, so I'm only doing like zucchini and cucumber from seeds this year.

Edit: Suppose I can also offer mystery Hop rhizomes from my 4 hop vines I've been growing for 2 years now. They might be Cascade, Centennial or Chinook.

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 8, 2017

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
In theory you should get seeds that were grown near you instead of the other side of the country. The reasoning is that the varieties are more appropriate for your climate and the genetics are better adapted to your climate. In practice it probably doesn't matter that much for most veggies. Choosing a seed company based on their ethics is another popular route. A few chemical companies (Monsanto, DuPont, etc) own most of the seed companies.

extravadanza posted:

Can we exchange seeds on this forum? I have some (random amounts of each) 'Apple Green' Eggplant, Black Hungarian Pepper, Stupice Tomato, Opalka Tomato, Romanesco Cauliflower seeds that have been in my fridge since last spring that I will not be able to plant this year. I will be away from my house for a couple periods of a week or two during seedling growing, so I'm only doing like zucchini and cucumber from seeds this year.

Edit: Suppose I can also offer mystery Hop rhizomes from my 4 hop vines I've been growing for 2 years now. They might be Cascade, Centennial or Chinook.

It's been done a few times before. I'm not sure the logistics are worth it but knock yourself out.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I moved into a new house (rental) recently and the landlords don't appear to have done any yard work for at least a year. I've got a yard with more leaves and twigs than grass. I've already raked up the leaves from maybe a quarter of the back yard into a compost pile that's 3' x 3' x 2'.

Is there anything useful I can do with the rest of these leaves and twigs? I don't want to just send them to the dump as yard waste but I'm a bit overwhelmed by having a whole years worth of back-logged yard work to do at once and don't know what else to do with it. I've gathered most of the larger branches for kindling in case I ever want to have a fire but there's still tons of little stuff left.

I'm in a 5a zone, but I'm just a mile or two north of the dividing line into 6a. I don't know if its relevant or not, but I've seen other people include that information.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well you don't really have to do anything with a rental house, but..

You could build hugelkultur beds maybe? Rake the sticks and leaves into the woods? Build a bigger compost pile? Burn them?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Rent a wood chipper and turn it all into mulch?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Check with your city. Mine has places you can drop off loads of yard waste which they turn into compost and sell back to the community. It's a rental, though, so honestly I'd rake it all up and tell your landlord to come deal with it.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

LLSix posted:

I moved into a new house (rental) recently and the landlords don't appear to have done any yard work for at least a year. I've got a yard with more leaves and twigs than grass. I've already raked up the leaves from maybe a quarter of the back yard into a compost pile that's 3' x 3' x 2'.

Is there anything useful I can do with the rest of these leaves and twigs? I don't want to just send them to the dump as yard waste but I'm a bit overwhelmed by having a whole years worth of back-logged yard work to do at once and don't know what else to do with it. I've gathered most of the larger branches for kindling in case I ever want to have a fire but there's still tons of little stuff left.

I'm in a 5a zone, but I'm just a mile or two north of the dividing line into 6a. I don't know if its relevant or not, but I've seen other people include that information.

What are your goals for the yard?

Just piling it up to compost is the easiest option. It will take a while to decompose but then you'll have fungal-dominant compost that is great for trees and shrubs. Running it through a chipper would speed things up. It could also be run through the chipper and spread around trees and shrubs as a mulch.

Zone info tells people what the lowest cold temperature is during winter which determines which plants are likely to survive. It's relevant when you're asking for suggestions on what to plant.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Well you don't really have to do anything with a rental house, but..

You could build hugelkultur beds maybe? Rake the sticks and leaves into the woods? Build a bigger compost pile? Burn them?

Hugels really need larger chunks of wood in the core of the mound and actual soil covering them.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

kedo posted:

Rent a wood chipper and turn it all into mulch?

I tried this last summer. It was much more expensive than taking the brush to a compost center, and buying some mulch while I was there. It took a lot longer, too.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
We are moving from a one bedroom apartment with a tiny kitchen to a 2 bedroom with a strangely large kitchen, but losing our big patio. This has led me to consider micro greens. Youtube and the collected internet make it look fool proof, but the fiance is going to need assurances I can pull it off. Anyone growing microgreen flats indoors? We do have a small balcony with full summer sun that we could use to shift flats outside once they germinate, but I'm not sure if a DIY rack with shop lights might not be easier (are they going to bake in the 100 degree CA sun?).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Microgreens are stupidly easy to grow however, they're not exactly something you can use in every dish every day, unless you make a point to add them "just because". They are nice for a garnish on a salad or in a bowl of pho, but they aren't super useful by themselves despite all the :supaburn: BIOTRUTHS about how they'll cure your cancer or w/e. Basically if you even have to use a light, you let your microgreens grow too long and they will no longer be as toothsome or healthy. So just enjoy them. Get an indoor herb garden going or something,, instead, imho.

I recommend sunflower microgreens, they have a nice nutty flavor.

LLSix posted:

Spread them as mulch wherever you don't want grass to grow. You'll run out quickly, don't worry. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 14, 2017

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Sprouts are also a nice easy option, and you can get some really good spicy ones with radish or mustard seeds.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I decided that since we've had a ridiculously warm winter in general, I'd start my tomato and pepper seeds a little earlier than usual--last year they were still really small even by midsummer so a head start will be welcome.

They're year-old seeds, but after a week in the little peat-plug starter greenhouse almost every one has sprouted, and one of the tomatoes has even put up two tiny leaves! These things are exploding and I can't wait to get them in the ground.

Otherwise, I planted my garlic and shallots after mixing some steer manure compost into the soil, and I'm part-way through digging up the rest of the garden and getting it fertilized. The blackberries and grapes are in, although I still need to build my grape trellis (they won't grow up a cinder-block wall without other support, right?)

Edit: in a few weeks I'll start the okra and Brussels sprouts.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Definitely do some sort of trellis. Grape vines shoot out little 2-4 inch long tendrils which wrap around things for support. They might be able to cling to the wall alone, by the first big wind to come along would blow it down.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kedo posted:

Definitely do some sort of trellis. Grape vines shoot out little 2-4 inch long tendrils which wrap around things for support. They might be able to cling to the wall alone, by the first big wind to come along would blow it down.

Ok. There are actually two metal posts at either end of the bed already, but I'm not sure they're tall enough--I think the shorter of the two is only about 3 feet above the ground level.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok. There are actually two metal posts at either end of the bed already, but I'm not sure they're tall enough--I think the shorter of the two is only about 3 feet above the ground level.

Yeah, that's definitely not tall enough. I had a grape vine in a pot on my balcony for one glorious summer before it died over the winter (:sad:), and it grew at least 7-10 feet in one season. Their growth pattern can be described as, "generally up and all over the loving place," so you'll want to give it a pretty solid structure to climb while also training/trimming it throughout the year. Otherwise it's going to just explode out from wherever you plant it and it might end up strangling your other plants for support.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
grapes can get enormous. like 20 feet long and 6-8 feet tall, no problem. They make an excellent shade cover for an outdoor patio if you train them up some posts and have a structure for them to grow along overhead.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
I sprouted a bunch of heirloom seeds and weeded the plots. I'm going to transplant them in a week or two depending on the weather. This is at a community garden 3 miles away.

LunaSky fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 17, 2017

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Man that's cool, I wish I didn't live in an apartment :smith:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can still grow stuff in an apartment!

(Admittedly these are not vegetables aside from the seed tray at the bottom)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
according to amazon.com which keeps sending me targeted offers at hydroponics equipment - you SHOULD be growing all the things in your apartment.

I'm just confused because I make a point to not search for drug poo poo in my primary browser :crossarms:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

coyo7e posted:

grapes can get enormous. like 20 feet long and 6-8 feet tall, no problem. They make an excellent shade cover for an outdoor patio if you train them up some posts and have a structure for them to grow along overhead.

I call bullshit, I've never seen a grape more than an inch an a half long :colbert:

That description makes me want to build a geodesic dome frame and grow grapes up it. Outdoor seating area underneath in the shade sounds good.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

cakesmith handyman posted:

I call bullshit, I've never seen a grape more than an inch an a half long :colbert:

That description makes me want to build a geodesic dome frame and grow grapes up it. Outdoor seating area underneath in the shade sounds good.

They did exactly this at a park nearby. Looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I've seen a fair few people in muscadine country with chicken runs (a chicken-wire dealie off the coop that the chickens scratch and eat in) that plant a vine or two next to the run and let them climb. Then there's shade and treats in the summer, and in the winter it dies back and lets the warm sun in. Clever.