Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

As mentioned go to the negotiation thread, read the OP and ask there. There are strategies on how to pursue your goal and how to handle different situations.

Asking for median is not a really strong one though (unless you are really underqualified).

Companies will always try to hire you for the least amount of money they think they can get you to sign for. It's up to you to make them think that number should be as high as possible.

Yeah, I just think median because they already know your salary and I assumed the pay band would be a jump up. But you are correct, you want to frame it in the way to get the most money possible, because this is the negotiation that is going to control a lot of future earnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Dugong posted:

Any advice for answering a "your perfect day at work" question? The company has just rebranded itself and the values/buzzwords on its site emphasise its dynamic and unique workforce so I'm thinking of going for the angle of having a day that required me to learn new skills in order to complete a task.

The day something goes wrong and you use your knowledge and experience to turn that problem into company profits that are greater than your salary!!! Oh wait, that's their perfect day...

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
I interviewed with a company in early January and just signed an offer letter with them to be starting in two weeks. I was working another job (for 2 years ongoing) when I interviewed with the new company, but I was laid off due to financial company reasons soon after. Should I be worried about background checks/framing the timeline of my past employment if it comes up?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

No.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Resolved, nevermind!

Padawan fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 7, 2017

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Tea leaf reading question here. My wife applies for a job that would mean relocating across country. She talks to a corporate recruiter who seems excited at her experience.
Then she has a phone interview with two hiring managers, it goes ok, hard to get a read over a phone call. They tell her at the end that they'll have a staff meeting and review her and the other candidates, and that the next level, if reached, is a phone interview with the people she would actually be working under.
Next thing she hears is the recruiter calling her saying the response from her phone interview was very positive, that they think that she would be a great fit. The recruiter asks for five references, and also wants to go over again her timeline for moving, seems unperturbed by the fact her job requests thirty days notice. No mention made of any second interview.
Now, this sounds very positive, but I would also expect that it is a recruiters job to sound positive, and I have no actual experience on the matter . Can anyone offer a more informed opinion?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Tea leaf reading question here. My wife applies for a job that would mean relocating across country. She talks to a corporate recruiter who seems excited at her experience.
Then she has a phone interview with two hiring managers, it goes ok, hard to get a read over a phone call. They tell her at the end that they'll have a staff meeting and review her and the other candidates, and that the next level, if reached, is a phone interview with the people she would actually be working under.
Next thing she hears is the recruiter calling her saying the response from her phone interview was very positive, that they think that she would be a great fit. The recruiter asks for five references, and also wants to go over again her timeline for moving, seems unperturbed by the fact her job requests thirty days notice. No mention made of any second interview.
Now, this sounds very positive, but I would also expect that it is a recruiters job to sound positive, and I have no actual experience on the matter . Can anyone offer a more informed opinion?

Tell the recruiter those things will be discussed when the company has made her an offer. Relocation should be part of the offer and until there's an offer there's nothing to be discussed.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Small question about a job title:

Since I started college I have been working at a small office of 3-4 people as the "good with computers" guy, for lack of a better word. I started as an office assistant and my responsibilities shifted over to tech stuff about a year after I started. My responsibilities have included maintaining/updating our old static website(which I have nothing to do with now), generic software/hardware troubleshooting, setting up new computers as needed, and advising on certain software purchases(such as the scheduling system they use for appointments now). "Tech Support" is what I usually tell people when they ask about work, but I was wondering if there was a better title I could use on my resume, since the first thing that comes to mind when I see the words "Tech Support" is a Hell Desk Jockey. My boss lovingly refers to me as the "IT Manager," but that feels like it would come off as blatant title inflation.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

skull mask mcgee posted:

Small question about a job title:

Since I started college I have been working at a small office of 3-4 people as the "good with computers" guy, for lack of a better word. I started as an office assistant and my responsibilities shifted over to tech stuff about a year after I started. My responsibilities have included maintaining/updating our old static website(which I have nothing to do with now), generic software/hardware troubleshooting, setting up new computers as needed, and advising on certain software purchases(such as the scheduling system they use for appointments now). "Tech Support" is what I usually tell people when they ask about work, but I was wondering if there was a better title I could use on my resume, since the first thing that comes to mind when I see the words "Tech Support" is a Hell Desk Jockey. My boss lovingly refers to me as the "IT Manager," but that feels like it would come off as blatant title inflation.
"IT Generalist" is probably as specific as I would get.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

you can just say Desktop Support. that's the most common title.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
What's a good way (is there even a not terrible way?) to bring up concerns from Glassdoor reviews to the recruiter?

I have another job opening that is making good progress, but looking at Glassdoor I see some red flags:
1. (Recent) Complaints that the employer is trigger-happy with firings
2. Management/HR complaints

#2 is pretty typical and I already got told on my first interview that they were currently reworking their entire way of handling HR so fine, whatever, but #1 is troubling (though in video games not exactly uncommon). Especially since it involves moving countries and working in an extremely expensive city.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Mango Polo posted:

What's a good way (is there even a not terrible way?) to bring up concerns from Glassdoor reviews to the recruiter?

I have another job opening that is making good progress, but looking at Glassdoor I see some red flags:
1. (Recent) Complaints that the employer is trigger-happy with firings
2. Management/HR complaints

#2 is pretty typical and I already got told on my first interview that they were currently reworking their entire way of handling HR so fine, whatever, but #1 is troubling (though in video games not exactly uncommon). Especially since it involves moving countries and working in an extremely expensive city.

internal or external recruiter? I wouldn't bring it up at all personally. Internal recruiters will either lie to you about it because they don't know what goes on in their own company and don't want to badmouth their own company. If you question if the company is as magnificent they (try to) portray it to be, it might be a red flag for them. Because hey, why are you having a job interview at a company you think fires people for no good reason all the time?! If the external recruiter is on your side they'll tell you there's a high turnover rate. If they say the company is fine, you don't know if they lie to you because they just want to place you or if they don't know what's going on either.

You could try to ask some neutral questions during the interview to get a feel about how they're handling things. If you want/need the job, try to keep in mind you might be in and out and try to calculate that into your compensation package. You could also keep on looking for jobs and if you think the glassdoor reviews are off the mark you could stay there.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Vulture Culture posted:

"IT Generalist" is probably as specific as I would get.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

you can just say Desktop Support. that's the most common title.

Thanks :) I'll probably go with Desktop Support but both are miles better than "Tech Support"

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

If you want/need the job, try to keep in mind you might be in and out and try to calculate that into your compensation package. You could also keep on looking for jobs and if you think the glassdoor reviews are off the mark you could stay there.

That's what I thought, guess I'll keep mum on the topic. My #1 goal is to get out of a profoundly toxic work environment, so even if it only lasts a year it's still enough.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Mango Polo posted:

That's what I thought, guess I'll keep mum on the topic. My #1 goal is to get out of a profoundly toxic work environment, so even if it only lasts a year it's still enough.

If that's the case you'll most likely improve with :yotj:

You should be able to negotiate a bump in pay (when in doubt, head over to the negotiation thread!) and most likely at least another year of experience ata different company.

If it's as bad as the glassdoor reviews say it is you can always start looking for another job from there.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
1. I applied to a company that I previously worked for as a contractor, and I know the senior director and the manager of the department that I am applying for, as they have praised my performance in the past. Is this something I should bring up in my initial interview?
2. I have a competing offer from another company, is it a good idea to mention this?
3. I fit the job description down to a T and exceed the required work experience/qualifications, however I have no degree, does this matter?

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 10, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Woof Blitzer posted:

1. I applied to a company that I previously worked for as a contractor, and I know the senior director and the manager of the department that I am applying for, as they have praised my performance in the past. Is this something I should bring up in my initial interview?
2. I have a competing offer from another company, is it a good idea to mention this?
3. I fit the job description down to a T and exceed the required work experience/qualifications, however I have no degree, does this matter?

2) You have a written offer in hand while still interviewing with another company? I'd let them know in a "hey I wanna help you guys out" sort of way. I'd wait until the end of the interview and feel out if its the right fit, if it is, let them know then.
3) Depends on the job, in IT, maybe not, in engineering functions, probably so.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I had a phone interview yesterday and I want to know what the next steps are since I failed to ask for the timeline during the phone interview. I don't have the contact information for the person who interviewed me so I'm wondering how I should format the email to the recruiter to ask him when I should expect a decision to go to the next steps.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

I had a phone interview yesterday and I want to know what the next steps are since I failed to ask for the timeline during the phone interview. I don't have the contact information for the person who interviewed me so I'm wondering how I should format the email to the recruiter to ask him when I should expect a decision to go to the next steps.

You shouldn't.

If you e-mail the recruiter, just do a follow up to thank them for taking the time to speak with you and end it with something about your interest in the position and how you hope to hear from them soon.

Timeline at this point would only be for piece of mind and serves no real purpose except to reveal your eagerness.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I just want to say, gently caress those screening tests. "I would fight with a coworker" vs "I always have a short temper". What in the gently caress is the right answer? And then they sometimes ask the same question, just worded differently, but the other option is true so it's going to mark me as a liar since I didn't always say "I am organized" or whatever.

And I KNOW I'm a good retail employee but there's really no way to get the hiring manager to understand that. If I say, "I'm a good employee and love to help customers" they take that as what.... arrogance? A lie?

Plus I think my resume is too good. So many buzzwords. And I do cater it to every job, like if I'm applying for food I put that I worked at a food place, but I don't put that if I'm applying at an art store.

Sorry, I'm just complaining.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

SirPhoebos posted:

How do I work on making eye contact?

Look at their forehead (not the very top, but like near the eyebrow level. They think you are making eye contact even though you actually aren't.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thin Privilege posted:

"I would fight with a coworker" vs "I always have a short temper"
lol I would try not to work there just because the company has elected to put their faith in that horrible tool as a selector of good employees.

quote:

If I say, "I'm a good employee and love to help customers" they take that as what.... arrogance? A lie?
To me that sounds like a reasonable thing to say. But, I bet a lot of people probably think they need to say it, so they probably hear it a lot and don't put much stock in it by itself. If you have some stories to back it up, it is much more powerful. Tell me how and why you are a good employee. Tell me what things you do because you love to help customers. How do the customers react to that? Have your actions caused some good reactions from other employees or your boss? Is it going to result in a positive outcome for the business, as in they will make more money? Tell me about those things.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

taqueso posted:

lol I would try not to work there just because the company has elected to put their faith in that horrible tool as a selector of good employees.

big box store

Also I have no idea what months I started at my old jobs, I only have tax returns from [x] year so even if I do get an interview I'm sure it'll count against me that I don't know!

taqueso posted:

To me that sounds like a reasonable thing to say. But, I bet a lot of people probably think they need to say it, so they probably hear it a lot and don't put much stock in it by itself. If you have some stories to back it up, it is much more powerful. Tell me how and why you are a good employee. Tell me what things you do because you love to help customers. How do the customers react to that? Have your actions caused some good reactions from other employees or your boss? Is it going to result in a positive outcome for the business, as in they will make more money? Tell me about those things.

Last interview I had I talked about how I helped this customer who didn't have a warranty get help and she was 300% over-satisfied (no I didn't use those words but I explained the situation) and I also talked about the customers with whom I had positive relations with, along with how I'm friends with many former co-workers! Guess that isn't enough!

I honestly think they (at least in my area) are looking for someone with no *significant* retail skills (what I have--non managerial but still a lead) and someone with no college education.

The places 1.5 hours away by drive may be less picky but like... waste $10 gas on a place where I work 3 hour shift at $7.50/hr?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Thin Privilege posted:

Also I have no idea what months I started at my old jobs, I only have tax returns from [x] year so even if I do get an interview I'm sure it'll count against me that I don't know!

make sure they don't line up in odd ways and you're fine. no one actually cares about this at all.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

make sure they don't line up in odd ways and you're fine. no one actually cares about this at all.

It's hard because I'm sure these big box retailers will call my old managers and since it's not the same date I'm "bad." Ughhhhhh

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
If you're really that worried have a friend call your old manager and ask for an employment verification. Then you will know exactly what they'll say about your employment dates, job title, and eligibility for rehire.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Thin Privilege posted:

It's hard because I'm sure these big box retailers will call my old managers and since it's not the same date I'm "bad." Ughhhhhh

They really really won't. They have a ton of other duties and making sure some dates line up for a sales associate isn't going to be worth the time.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 14, 2017

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
So about three years ago, when I was moving employers, a recruiter hooked me up with a an exploratory interview at company X. I completely flubbed it. Not humiliatingly, but... Heh, I wasn't on top of my game and I didn't really know what I was selling.

Flashforward to now, a different recruiter set me up with an exploratory interview with the same HR rep (Tiny industry). I'm thinking I don't bring up the previous interview unless she brings it up first, but anything else I should keep in mind?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
So my wife has had an interview, they asked for references, five of them. They use a system that sends a link to an online form for the reference to fill out. She contacted all her references to let them know this was coming, they all replied to her with an ok. It's been a week since the form was sent, and one hasn't done it, and is incommunicado to all further prodding. Any advice on how bad the situation is and how to salvage it?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So my wife has had an interview, they asked for references, five of them. They use a system that sends a link to an online form for the reference to fill out. She contacted all her references to let them know this was coming, they all replied to her with an ok. It's been a week since the form was sent, and one hasn't done it, and is incommunicado to all further prodding. Any advice on how bad the situation is and how to salvage it?

They did respond and so if they've been a good reference in the past, they could very well be occupied with some legit reason to not fill it out (I mean hey, poo poo happens). I would find another reference if you need to get this process moving along sooner rather than later.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've had to do a few of these reference forms recently. I always get a call at the last-minute, and then 10 minutes later I get an annoying *REMINDER* YOU STILL HAVEN'T FILLED IN X REFERENCE YET. And another reminder it seems like every 8 hours.

The last one annoyed me so much I seriously considered leaving a review in the body of his reference. "Yeah. He's great. Hire him. But here's what's wrong with your loving system. Some of us have actual work to do. Give me more than 24 hours to fill out your silly "on a scale of 1-5" form."

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
The MIA ref completed theirs today, of course. Such an involved process for a what boils down to asking if the candidate can dress properly and not drool on themselves. Simpler for HR than trying to call five times how many the number of candidates though, I suppose.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Second round yesterday. Met with the VP and then the remainder of the management team.

The VP did the whole stress-test interview thing, and then tried to change his tone at the end. The headhunter called and asked me a bunch of stuff and wanted to know about comp, to which I just said "it'd have to be a fantastic offer. I'm interested, but it's got to be great."

Then he kept asking for what great was, and I basically had to say "look, I have no idea what the benefits are, there's no way I'm giving you a number. If you need something, let's assume all the benefits are the same, and we know they aren't, then it'd better be at the top of the range."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 25, 2017

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone ever been stood up by an interviewer? Had a phone interview with a director of product development, and he never called. Further, no response to my emails for more than 36 hours after the fact. Kinda thinking about not rescheduling

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
If you reschedule, they offer you a job, and you are not so keen on it based on that, then you hold all the leverage in negotiations. You can push for a lot more than you would a job you really want/need and in the end if they say no, then you're not really any worse off.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

totalnewbie posted:

If you reschedule, they offer you a job, and you are not so keen on it based on that, then you hold all the leverage in negotiations. You can push for a lot more than you would a job you really want/need and in the end if they say no, then you're not really any worse off.

Omne posted:

Anyone ever been stood up by an interviewer? Had a phone interview with a director of product development, and he never called. Further, no response to my emails for more than 36 hours after the fact. Kinda thinking about not rescheduling

Yes. It did not lead to a job offer and much like youre considering I didnt pursue one. Agree with the guy above me though.

survivalstrategy
Oct 19, 2012

Let's see how many people you can kill with the power of love.
Hi everyone! I recently moved to Calgary, AB from Winnipeg, MB (Canada), due to my husband's job (he got a promotion). I had to quit my previous job and I'm now looking for a new one. For the last 4-5 years, I've been doing office administrative work (receptionist / administrative assistant, that sort of thing) in a few different industries (cultural / performing arts, universities, construction / home renovations, union offices). I don't really have a specialty or an industry, to to speak, but I've found that I enjoy being in these type of roles, that put me front and centre for contact and allows me to support a lot of other people in my working space.

I guess I'm just very frustrated right now but, since I've started my job hunt two months ago, I have not received a single call or e-mail. I realize I've moved to a city that is experiencing a recession and is in the middle of bouncing back, and is generally larger and more competitive, but I've always had good results with my resume / cover letters when applying for jobs in my previous city. Steady enough to get interviews, at least. I suspect it's my cover / resume that's killing me and I've tried to re-write it a few times.

With cover letter and resume, my submissions are 3-4 pages, depending on how much is asked for on the posting. I always submit covers, try my best to target specific people for attentions, mention as many points from the posting (reworded) in relation to my own experience, and stress that I'm willing to learn new skills and whatever to do the job well. I have a fairly strong working history that I edit, as necessary for the job posting. I hate the interests part, but I do put a little blurb down there that makes me human.

In case this sounds like millennial entitlement, I'm not looking above my experience or asking for unreasonable pay. I just want to find the same kind of job I had before, in a new company that I can grow in. I know what market value is for my work (it's not a lot but whatever!).

I have reformatted my cover and resume dozens of times now, in a major way (because I do tailor each submission in some way, but I mean like completely re-wrote / re-formatted). I've tried paring down my working experiences blurbs to only what job ads require and only put minimum education information, in case I might look overqualified (BA but no MA mention, unless pushed at an interview - mostly to explain a working history gap).

I'm just at a complete loss. I've never experienced this kind of non-response before. If it will help, I'd be willing to share my cover / resume for critique. I'm trying to just tell myself that job hunting is just like that, you just keep trying until someone bites. But it's probably something that I'm not doing! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

survivalstrategy posted:

I'm just at a complete loss. I've never experienced this kind of non-response before. If it will help, I'd be willing to share my cover / resume for critique. I'm trying to just tell myself that job hunting is just like that, you just keep trying until someone bites. But it's probably something that I'm not doing! :(
FWIW, I've been in more-or-less the same boat lately - been doing various office admin work, moved because of my wife's job, had no responses at all for a couple of months of job searching when I've never had any trouble before, despite re-tailoring my resume over and over to match points from the job description - but after three months of nothing, I've snagged three interviews in the past two weeks (no offer yet though, haha).

I realize this isn't the kind of advice you're asking for, but I know I was feeling really bleak about my prospects around the 2-3 month point, and from your post you seem to be too, so just wanted to say that it isn't necessarily something you're doing/not doing, it may just be a run of bad luck, don't despair, etc.