Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Samizdata posted:

Do NOT sully the holy name of Warhammer 40K with anything like a comparison between Ben and Aspect Warriors! (Maybe Nurgle, that's okay.)

Hey ! Papa Nurgle love all his followers and never scammed anyone. When you sign down with him you know what your going into and get exactly what you asked for. (Except in rare cases of chaos spawn occurences, but then your still loved so its not as bad as being a chaos serf. )

Also check out Avorion if you want to kill some time untill SQLUDE42 release.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/445220/

Explore, trade, fight and build your own space ships in either solo or mutliplayer (50 slot servers). If you loved the looks of the old "Terran Trade Authority" books this might please you. You can be admiral of your own fleet, own a space station, asteroid mine, factories, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015
Fun read: http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-diary-part-3-how-hard-is-it-to-sneak-onto-other-peoples-ships/

"A few times, my bumbling attempts at stowing away seem to be the least of a pilot's problems. After stealthily shadowing one player, I wait for him to climb into the cockpit so I can slither on board. But he doesn't seem to be having much luck boarding himself."

http://zippy.gfycat.com/EnlightenedSecondFrillneckedlizard.webm

chochmah fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 14, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sunswipe posted:

I lose track, what hypocrisy are they pointing out?

The worst kind of hypocrisy. Triples every second, etc.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Does Derek delete his poo poo all the time? What purpose does this 'archive' serve?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Not a new thought but more of a reminder: it's all a confidence scam at this point, Chris needs to posture himself just right both publicly and internally as to avoid a brutal lawsuit where possible once the jig is up. By opening international studios and never standing in one place too long he increases the resources required by a potential prosecutor immensely. This will discourage both lazy mentally ill whales along with actual state level prosecutors who might not wanna burn the time and energy to figure the huge mess out. A small time but competent lawyer is gonna look at this and tell you it's going to be really tough crack this scam 100% wide open.

Begrudgingly giving refunds is a big aspect of their projected intent if they have a day in court.

All he has to do is keep hiring people and keep promising anything he wants until the money dries up and then he will start scape-goating. Likely scapegoats include:

"we've come to realize that cryengine just isn't up to the task"

"lumberyard isn't up to the task"

"Crytek going away wasn't predicted and totally sunk our project, gee :("

"the project is too great and we just couldn't afford the talent, if only we had more money :("

blaming "internal power struggles"

blaming nebulous detractors (dog whistle for Derek and "goonies")

It will be interesting for sure, it definitely seems like they have been more careful ever since the specter of Smart began consistently looming over them.

This is all arm chair wannabe lawyering but I'm basing it off of the cases I've witnessed in the bitcoin drama sphere. Any actual law goons should correct me where I'm wrong.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Sillybones posted:

Does Derek delete his poo poo all the time? What purpose does this 'archive' serve?

It's some sort of psychotic "don't give clicks" thing.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Is the dox that Derek did still just linking to Sandys IMDB profile?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sillybones posted:

It's pointing out his hypocrisy. Duh!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Sandweed posted:

Yeah. It's pretty much a bunch of idiots still being salty that Derek can use Google to find out that a narcissist is trying to live out her Movie star dreams through her kids.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

:same: except Titanfall 2 and I can't decide what color to dye my hair

Octarine, as a nice Pratchett tribute?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

The UK Government posted:

Operating in a Legal Hinterland

Many of the frauds operate in a legal hinterland where the tactics they use make it difficult to unambiguously identify it as fraud. This makes some ‘victims’ adamant that they are not victims of fraud; others, even though they recognise it probably was a fraud, are less likely to report it because of the perceived ambiguity ; and another group who may be conscious it is a fraud, want to report it, but because of the ambiguity face a law enforcement community unwilling to take it on or passing it on to other agencies. For example, some lotteries do pay out prizes and consequently the reaction of many police forces who receive complaints is that it is a ‘civil matter ’ between the victim and lottery. Some scams also have very small print contradicting the main message of the scam. Fraudsters play on this and even if the law enforcement community does become interested they claim the dispute is a civil matter and of no interest to the police (Shover et al, 2003).

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Xaerael posted:

Yeah. It's pretty much a bunch of idiots still being salty that Derek can use Google to find out that a narcissist is trying to live out her Movie star dreams through her kids.

Smile for a group photo with Sandi!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Namaste 🙏🏻

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sandweed posted:

Dox 1
Dox 2
Dox 3

Don't quote this post, I'll edit out the doxx in a couple of hours before FYAD notices it.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 14, 2017

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

Dox 1
Dox 2
Dox 3

Don't quote this post, I'll edit out the doxx in a couple of hours before FYAD notices it.

For archiving. You won't avoid the ban for this, your forgot the "lol" to make it legal by SA rules.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sandweed posted:

I'm pretty sure it was that AND retweeting some of her twitters.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sandweed posted:

Also there's a guy in Norway pretending to be a carefree teenage girl ^o^ and Derek made him fake a certificate of existence from "her family's" lawyer

It was too funny for this gay dead forum, obviously

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
It was wrong of Derek to place that idiot kid in the wheelchair though, with his promising baseball career and all :smith:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Reminder: Redditors have caused people to commit suicide due to doxxing.

quote:

Following the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, vigilantes on Reddit wrongly identified a number of people as suspects. Notable among misidentified bombing suspects was Sunil Tripathi, a student reported missing before the bombings took place. A body reported to be Sunil's was found in Rhode Island's Providence River on April 25, 2013, as reported by the Rhode Island Health Department. The cause of death was not immediately known, but authorities said they did not suspect foul play. The family later confirmed Tripathi's death was a result of suicide. Reddit general manager Martin later issued an apology for this behaviour, criticising the "online witch hunts and dangerous speculation" that took place on the website.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Derek actually just posted a link to a legal letter and he didn't even link the IMDB page, but just re-tweeted someone who did.

D_Smart posted:

Wasting no time, a few days later, my attorneys shredded him in a response.

Smart's Lawyer posted:

Mr. Smart has never posted any material about the Roberts’ children. What you
allude to was a September 28 2015 Twitter post that was not posted by Mr. Smart. It
appeared in his Twitter feed. And, in any case, the person posted it from PUBLIC
records available on https://www.imdb.com where Ms. Roberts herself posted them since
her daughter is a child actress, which further establishes her as a public figure.
Contrary to the baseless claims asserted by your clients, however, Mr. Smart has
actual archived evidence that this was posted by Ms. Roberts. Said information also
appears on the public profile of her Facebook page, as well as publicity photos on
Tumblr. In fact, this same information, and these same children, also appear in a
PUBLIC Star Citizen pitch video from Youtube in 2012, which Mr. Smart has also
archived for evidentiary purposes. For these reasons, please provide actual evidence
to substantiate your client’s baseless claims, as well as any legal authority that you
have that Mr. Smart is subject to liability simply by reposting publicly available
material, especially material that was placed into the public domain by your clients

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

¶6.Using a pseudonym or otherwise maintaining an anonymous identity on the internet is not illegal or dishonest, and is a provably legitimate and even sanctioned behaviour for interacting with other online persons. It is of itself not indicative of a malicious desire to dupe or defraud, as described fully in in the First Section of this statement [¶2.]. Thus: Even were the aforementioned parties to build a preposterously elaborate effort to assume the identity of other persons, real or imagined, this matter would remain trivial if it were not for the more pressing issue of accusations of nefarious or criminal activity under the subterfuge of such identities being used by said parties for personal profit.

:roflolmao:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Xaerael posted:

That's not what it says. I'm pretty sure that suicide at least was incidental

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

As a true Norwegian I'm mad that someone would steal my valor like that.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sandweed posted:

As a true Norwegian I'm mad that someone would steal my valor like that.

Stay strong commando.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

quote:

¶6.Using a pseudonym or otherwise maintaining an anonymous identity on the internet is not illegal or dishonest, and is a provably legitimate and even sanctioned behaviour for interacting with other online persons. It is of itself not indicative of a malicious desire to dupe or defraud, as described fully in in the First Section of this statement [¶2.]. Thus: Even were the aforementioned parties to build a preposterously elaborate effort to assume the identity of other persons, real or imagined, this matter would remain trivial if it were not for the more pressing issue of accusations of nefarious or criminal activity under the subterfuge of such identities being used by said parties for personal profit.
:roflolmao:

This was the longest legal document I ever read that had no relation to me. It was just one long https://i.imgur.com/WNEmfcD.mp4

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

Sabreseven posted:

Most people when placed in a room with a known goon will do nothing but have a chat and maybe have a laugh together,

Most people when placed in a room with a known pedophile will beat the pedophile to a pulp.

Yes, I can see why goons are worse than pedophiles. :doh:

And they wonder why everyone thinks they are a toxic and generally hosed up community.

I'm so loving triggered by this poo poo. :bang:

Apologies if this has been done before.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Dox 1
Dox 2
Dox 3

Imagine the sweat dripping down my forehead as I wait for Beer to get the other key to unlock the cover over the big red "BAN" button.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Achamp posted:

:vince:

Any news on our friend? Can :reddit: finally drop the "he's not convicted yet" figleaf?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

Imagine the sweat dripping down my forehead as I wait for Beer to get the other key to unlock the cover over the big red "BAN" button.

It's cool, Lowtax has my back on this. :smuggo:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

chochmah posted:

Fun read: http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-diary-part-3-how-hard-is-it-to-sneak-onto-other-peoples-ships/

"A few times, my bumbling attempts at stowing away seem to be the least of a pilot's problems. After stealthily shadowing one player, I wait for him to climb into the cockpit so I can slither on board. But he doesn't seem to be having much luck boarding himself."

http://zippy.gfycat.com/EnlightenedSecondFrillneckedlizard.webm

You know, considering how long the PU has been out, and how frequently this happens, it blows my mind that they don't have a lock system in place yet. Now, I know nothing about game development, but I cannot imagine that a simple flag toggling "ARE DOORS LOCKED Y/N" can be that hard to implement.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Achamp posted:

LOL!! :five:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Erenthal posted:

You know, considering how long the PU has been out, and how frequently this happens, it blows my mind that they don't have a lock system in place yet. Now, I know nothing about game development, but I cannot imagine that a simple flag toggling "ARE DOORS LOCKED Y/N" can be that hard to implement.

Binary outcomes is the opposite of fidelity.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

From a network programming perspective the best thing to do is have a party system for allowing temporary access, but that is honestly a lot of work so of course CIG just makes it global

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kibner posted:

Binary outcomes is the opposite of fidelity.

“Your ship risks being stolen — would you like to lock it?
[Y]es / [N]o / [S]hut up goonie”
> S
“Oookay… your loss. Shutting right up.”
> hey where did my ship go?
“…”
> hello?
“…”

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 14, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Xaerael posted:

Mr. Tripathi had died before the Boston Marathon, though. It just took them a while to find the body.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/824757676693270529

:laugh:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sandweed posted:

Yes. That's basically it. Even though I didn't even do it; I re-tweeted it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
My latest Star Citizen missive talks about 3.0, SQ42, the E.L.E and why backers are pretty much, screwed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

Yes. That's basically it. Even though I didn't even do it; I re-tweeted it.

Please don't retweet links as this causes suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

Mr. Tripathi had died before the Boston Marathon, though. It just took them a while to find the body.

Yeah, I mis-read the article. It's still lovely and far worse than googling someone's name to prove they're a lying shitbag.