Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Actually I think Bogles is the correct answer of deck to play if you hate yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

I like infect. I played it when it was Sultai before Become immense got banned and before it even played git probe. Infect is one of my favorite decks, I play it in legacy and it's incredible.

If you hate yourself, play infect in Modern.

mcmagic you're cool and good right now.

I'm taking Bant spirits to GP Vancouver, because I didn't feel like playing Bogles or infect or burn. Feel free to mock me over the weekend as I regale you with tales of bad beats and even worse plays by me.

Plus Meddling mages in the sideboard like a real G.

But Become Immense isn't banned?, Gix probe is but Become Immense, sadly, is not

mcmagic posted:

Actually I think Bogles is the correct answer of deck to play if you hate yourself.

Bogles is the decklist you should always have on hand to audible into if you got REALLY DRUNK the night before, and now with your raging hangover need to play a nine round tournament minimum

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

Thoughts of a Bogles player during round six: "Why didn't I just stay home?"

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Madmarker posted:

But Become Immense isn't banned?, Gix probe is but Become Immense, sadly, is not

Bogles is the decklist you should always have on hand to audible into if you got REALLY DRUNK the night before, and now with your raging hangover need to play a nine round tournament minimum

That was supposed to say "printed" not banned. Because I am dumb durrrr.

Bogles is what I usually take to big events specifically because I am destructively hung over.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Cool deck to play if you hate yourself or are a literal monkey that can only perform basic rudamentary tasks: RG valakut. The deck is comprised only of lands and ramp spells (even Primeval Titan is ramp spell) and you just play your lands and ramp spells and win. It helps if you can count to six and are good at multiplying stuff by 3.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Bonus posted:

Cool deck to play if you hate yourself or are a literal monkey that can only perform basic rudamentary tasks: RG valakut. The deck is comprised only of lands and ramp spells (even Primeval Titan is ramp spell) and you just play your lands and ramp spells and win. It helps if you can count to six and are good at multiplying stuff by 3.

Please don't insult monkeys by comparing them to us Valakut players.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I think jund is a better deck if you hate yourself. It forces you to make a ton of decisions and the reward for getting them all right is a 50% winrate.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mezzanon posted:

That was supposed to say "printed" not banned. Because I am dumb durrrr.

Bogles is what I usually take to big events specifically because I am destructively hung over.

I had fun destroying a bogles player this weekend at one of the side events at Pittsburgh. First game he mulls to 6 or 5, discard spell, kill his spirtdancer he kept on, game 2. He mulled to 4. Kept land, land, spirit dancer, daybreak coronet. Take is coronet, surgical them all away, kill his spirit dancer. He drew 1 drop dudes and no enchantments. Always jund 'em out kids.

little munchkin posted:

I think jund is a better deck if you hate yourself. It forces you to make a ton of decisions and the reward for getting them all right is a 50% winrate.

I honestly love how much people loathe jund for how average it is. You work for every win and everyone hates it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Surgical against Bogles is why nobody should ever play Surgical imo.

Also I Mindslavered Bogles once with my Emrakul and out an Ethereal Armor and Daybreak on her. It was a delight.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

Surgical against Bogles is why nobody should ever play Surgical imo.

Also I Mindslavered Bogles once with my Emrakul and out an Ethereal Armor and Daybreak on her. It was a delight.

not much else to sideboard in against them, brought in angers and surgicals, took out new Liliana the last hope, and a few removal spells. Bogles is useless without daybreak practically.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

jassi007 posted:

I honestly love how much people loathe jund for how average it is. You work for every win and everyone hates it.

the last time I played jund my opponent had the whole thing completely foiled out. That's got to be like 3000$, right? anyways they lost 0-2 after aiming a dozen shiny removal spells at my Eternal Scourge

playing fair magic is such a nightmare

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bonus posted:

Hey now I sometimes use Emrakul to win. I even got to hardcast her one game thanks to a Blood Moon and lots of uncracked fetches!

Also, are you a Jund/Junk player by chance :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

not much else to sideboard in against them, brought in angers and surgicals, took out new Liliana the last hope, and a few removal spells. Bogles is useless without daybreak practically.

Fair. I don't like taking out removal against them as Jund. All your removal still has a pretty good use, right? Decays can really own a Daybreak draw, Pulse is probably your only way to kill a Leyline, Bolt can kill Spirit Dancers, Dryad Arbors, and them. I don't know exactly what you're playing but the only thing I can think of that's really bad is Kolaghan's Command. Push is pretty bad but probably still better than Surgical imo.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

jassi007 posted:

I had fun destroying a bogles player this weekend at one of the side events at Pittsburgh. First game he mulls to 6 or 5, discard spell, kill his spirtdancer he kept on, game 2. He mulled to 4. Kept land, land, spirit dancer, daybreak coronet. Take is coronet, surgical them all away, kill his spirit dancer. He drew 1 drop dudes and no enchantments. Always jund 'em out kids.

That bogles player sounds terrible, and/or like they had terrible options.

Jund is a hard matchup because you can destroy auras, and you have LotV.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

the last time I played jund my opponent had the whole thing completely foiled out. That's got to be like 3000$, right? anyways they lost 0-2 after aiming a dozen shiny removal spells at my Eternal Scourge

playing fair magic is such a nightmare

i was going to ask why they didn't just play a sweeper, but then i realised they were probably running angers. self-pwned

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellsau posted:

Please don't insult monkeys by comparing them to us Valakut players.

The Titan Shift deck is a deck for people who find Tron too hard to play.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I find it easier to count to six mountains than to try to find three separate lands. Also I just really like Nahiri.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Tron never seemed even vaguely hard

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Tron never seemed even vaguely hard

It's not. That was the joke.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The actual answer is to bring a deck of old but often reprinted yugioh cards, because it means you wasted the entrance fee, your time, and whatever money you spent on the old yugioh deck

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

If you love yourself but hate winning, do what I do and bring Enduring Ideal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Trilas posted:

If you love yourself but hate winning, do what I do and bring Enduring Ideal.

I have a GW Enchantress list that I'm close to finishing, I'm excited to get my rear end beat with it at FNM and regret ever having the idea in the first place. Also need that Enduring Ideal list stat especially if it uses Form of the Dragon for the kill TIA

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I have a GW Enchantress list that I'm close to finishing, I'm excited to get my rear end beat with it at FNM and regret ever having the idea in the first place. Also need that Enduring Ideal list stat especially if it uses Form of the Dragon for the kill TIA

Boy, does it ever!

quote:

Ideal With It 🕶

Creatures (1)
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric (because I don't have a Rule of Law)

Sorcery/Instant (8)
4 Enduring Ideal
4 Path to Exile

Enchantment (29)
1 Dovescape
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
1 Form of the Dragon
1 Phyrexian Unlife
1 Peace of Mind
4 Ghostly Prison
4 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Runed Halo
4 Stasis Snare
1 Banishing Light
2 Sphere of Safety
2 Greater Auramancy
1 Journey to Nowhere
2 Suppression Field

Land (23)
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Calciform Pools
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Mistveil Plains
12 Plains

Sideboard (15)
2 Defense Grid
2 Pithing Needle
2 Stony Silence
2 Rest In Peace
2 Nevermore
2 Banishing Light
3 Story Circle

This deck is very, very good against Burn, Valakut and Cheerios, and I get a special satisfaction from making some opponents watch me build the most exquisite pillow fort before finally deciding to win.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If I Chord of calling into a Voice of Resurgance while an opponent is casting a spell on my turn do I get the trigger?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

DangerDongs posted:

If I Chord of calling into a Voice of Resurgance while an opponent is casting a spell on my turn do I get the trigger?

No. Trigger goes on the stack when the spell is cast. Chording in response to the spell means it's already cast/on the stack, and it's too late.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Some Numbers posted:

I saw two guys collude at a prere, where they waited to get the results of another match to ensure that they could safely ID.

That's impressively lovely. I had a similar issue at a 4k I was judging (which at least is worth being a crappy dude at, I guess). Both of them had their decks in their bags 1 minute into the round and I walked up and told them both to start playing or get slow play. 3 minutes in they're still sat there like lemons so they get their SP warning and tell them if they don't start immediately I'm giving them both Game Losses. I also go off policy a little bit (unsanctioned event so whatever) and tell them I'd be giving them those Game Losses in the top 8.

Snap ID, everyone's happy.

Mezzanon posted:

Also I have been doing this for years so please tell me I'm not breaking any rules by offering the split like that.

That'd be fine for like 95% of judges. Bribery policy is a bit open to interpretation but most judges are fine with "Split?" "Yes" "Great. I scoop."

If you have any doubts, please talk to a judge away from the table to clarify if saying that would constitute bribery or not in their eyes.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Also, are you a Jund/Junk player by chance :v:

I mainly play variations of Eldrazi, so I get kicked in by valakut almost every time. I think everyone should play whatever the hell they want, I just can't believe some people don't find RG valakut decks extremely boring.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If they actually played (at a reasonable pace) and then decided to draw after hearing the result of that other match, it'd be totally fine. Trying to not even start playing until you hear what happens seems really stupid - what if that other match takes a while, and then the result ends up being such that you don't actually want to ID?

Incidentally, I'd be inclined to DQ for stalling if someone's intentionally playing slowly to gain an advantage in the tournament.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jabor posted:

Incidentally, I'd be inclined to DQ for stalling if someone's intentionally playing slowly to gain an advantage in the tournament.

Stalling explicitly mentions taking advantage of the time limit, which they're not doing. It needs rewriting to include these scenarios, if you ask me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bonus posted:

I mainly play variations of Eldrazi, so I get kicked in by valakut almost every time. I think everyone should play whatever the hell they want, I just can't believe some people don't find RG valakut decks extremely boring.

It appeals to the early Magic part of my brain where I just want to run people over with huge creatures. I actually finished BW Tokens a couple weeks ago and was thinking of switching it up for next FNM (or going back to Esper Mill now that a bunch of my worst matchups have taken a hit) but Breach does pretty well against my meta so I might just keep running it until people figure out how to beat it or start bringing in the appropriate SB hate. I'll be golden if the one guy running Ad Nauseum (who I seem to play every time I'm doing well) gets bored and goes back to Eldrazi Taxes.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 14, 2017

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Standard Gauntlet in MTGO starting 22nd!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Any good Modern Sultai or Bant Company lists with flip Jace? A pw that gets hit by company seems good. Flipping Jace triggers revolt for Push if that matters (probably doesn't because fetches?).

I guess we'll see after this weekend.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Lunsku posted:

That looks really fun, I'd love to take a crack at that survival of the fittest deck.

odiv posted:

Any good Modern Sultai or Bant Company lists with flip Jace? A pw that gets hit by company seems good. Flipping Jace triggers revolt for Push if that matters (probably doesn't because fetches?).

I guess we'll see after this weekend.

Not really. Sultai is pretty unlikely to happen because it's surprisingly awkward to build a collected company deck without white, but there's a pretty strong Bant company deck. It's a GW goodstuff deck that splashes blue for spell queller and the knight of the reliquary + retreat to coralhelm combo. It doesn't run JVP though, it's slow and if you want that kind of effect you would run eternal witness instead.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lunsku posted:

i like how Lightning Bolt was already decided to be too powerful so shock was printed, but Fireblast was perfectly fine

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Lunsku posted:

Standard was so, so much better back then.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Lunsku posted:

This is pretty awesome

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Splitting and scooping should never be discussed together. You can ask to split the prize, but you can't bribe the other person to lose. You can scoop almost whenever you want, but it can't be gambling or determined by another game. In practice, you know the other players and you don't have to talk about it, you just say split and report the result the way that gets the most packs.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm going to have to play that until I get Pros Bloom.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Bonus posted:

I live in Wisconsin so Valakut gets played all the drat time around here which destroys my fair-deck-playing rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

I live in Wisconsin so Valakut gets played all the drat time around here which destroys my fair-deck-playing rear end.

I strongly recommend main decking 4 Leylines and 4 Runed Halos.

• Locked thread