Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Thanks for ruining America's infrastructure, Obama!

It is actually Trumps fault for causing so many liberal tears that the USA's tallest drat can't even contain them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

this is god's punishment for homosexuality

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah man clearly it's LIBERALS spending all the money on illegal immigrants, mosques, homosexual agenda and weed smoking good for nothing hippies instead of infrastructure. Just read twitter!

Hate to tell you but Liberals are literally Republicans now, the only difference is Liberals latch on to whatever the perceived populist narrative is at the time.

edit: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/feb/15/whos-blame-flint-water-crisis/

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

this is god's punishment for In-N-Out Burger

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Oh poo poo it just broke.

Edit: The condom, not the dam.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

well you don't see any roundabouts failing

Maybe we should build a roundabout in the spillways?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DaveSplitter posted:

Oh poo poo it just broke.

Edit: The condom, not the dam.

When the condom broke, did it drown hundreds of thousands of people?

If so you are a bad person and should probably say sorry.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe we should build a roundabout in the spillways?

Maybe the water will get confused and crash into itself and the disaster will be averted

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

various cheeses posted:

Maybe the water will get confused and crash into itself and the disaster will be averted

Or put up a traffic light that's always on red, and if the water decides to go through it, you can just send all the water to jail.

Waters not special. It should obey the law, just like everyone else. :colbert:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

These are all really good ideas.

Why has no one implemented this yet? Fuckin' bureaucrats dragging their feet no doubt.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Psycho Society posted:

Yuba city isn't a town. It's not. Sorry

no poo poo it isn't a town, it's a city you jackass

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
lets hope it can take all the snow melting in a few months

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

various cheeses posted:

These are all really good ideas.

Why has no one implemented this yet? Fuckin' bureaucrats dragging their feet no doubt.

its because the liberals are too busy letting in terrorists

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I thought they had an extreme water shortage, you would think they could find places where the water could go if they had ran out.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

dr_rat posted:

When the condom broke, did it drown hundreds of thousands of people?

If so you are a bad person and should probably say sorry.

Only 1 survivor

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

its because the liberals are too busy letting in terrorists

Liberals.

I knew they were up to no good

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

yorba linda water district

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Is dam maintenence a federal or state responsibility?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Actually, we all got together and decided you should do it. Goof luck!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Did the dam break, or do I gotta drive out there with a hammer?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Its nobodies responsibility actually. Once you build infrastructure its done, it will stay built.

Can't do maintenance on it when we got brown people to bomb.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
CA must bitch about everything weather related.

Not enough water.
Mudslides.
too much fire.
Too much water.

SAD

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
So what is the deal with this dam? Has their been too much rain and it is overflowing? Or is the dam just broken?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

CA must bitch about everything weather related.

Not enough water.
Mudslides.
too much fire.
Too much water.

SAD

yeha but 5th largest economy in the wordl bro!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I think it was never or poorly maintained and the recent storms has lead it to being very full. so now we are using backup runoff paths to make the dam less full but those are also poorly maintained and we still have too much water anyways. and its going to storm starting wednesday.

Could have been prevented id imagine but you cant expect the us government to spend money on infrastructure when we could spend that money on the military

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Ork of Fiction posted:

Actually, we all got together and decided you should do it. Goof luck!

But I am fat and useless. :shepface:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

PyPy posted:

So what is the deal with this dam? Has their been too much rain and it is overflowing? Or is the dam just broken?

Both, actually. The main spillway was ID'd many years ago as being susceptible to breakage under heavy water discharges, but dam officials handwaved the possible danger away because heavy outflows are rare. Same basic thing with the auxiliary spillway, it's never been used and the people in charge figured it never would be. It's just a concrete cap over a hilltop.

But in fairness, the reservoir was a giant brown hole with a piss-trickle of water in it as recently as 18 months ago, legions of climatologists, hydrologists, etc claimed it would take years to refill after this drought, etc. etc.

Personally, I knew it was all bullshit because I'm old and remember the 1976-1980 drought very well(my family had a well that went dry and I spent two years showering with buckets of cold water), and the 'experts' said the same inane poo poo. Cue the monster winter of '81-82, and magically all reservoirs filled up.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it, yadda yadda yadda.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
This was the lake in 2015

A lot of people said that after el nino were supposed to get a drier winter afterwards as well. I'm not sure why that didn't happen though.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

It's almost like meteorology is lawls as balls and should be shamed thusly until results improve!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Global warming is a hoax

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Rubellavator posted:

yeha but 5th largest economy in the wordl bro!

Once the fault drops them into the ocean America will be great again!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Climate change is real, but naw let's not prepare for something. We like to pretend we're the cutting edge of civilization because we're not a flyover state. Too bad we're too busy huffing our own smegma to fix our infrastructure and hazard management devices.

-CA gov't

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

PathAsc posted:

Climate change is real, but naw let's not prepare for something. We like to pretend we're the cutting edge of civilization because we're not a flyover state. Too bad we're too busy huffing our own smegma to fix our infrastructure and hazard management devices.

-CA gov't

Climate change is happening and it has always happened. The whole point of a retainment dam is to safeguard against certain climate thingies.

LOL that CA is so dumb as to not know how to make a dam properly.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I'm glad the infrastructure wake up call has only resulted in the indefinite evacuation of 200,000 people instead of a few cities being destroyed. Hooray?

I suppose we're not clear until Summer for that 2nd part.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Is infrastructure a federal issue or a state issue

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PathAsc posted:

-CA gov't

We're building a poo poo ton of water infrastructure fucknut, what is your dumbo state doing?

Stop taking our tax money then and we'll handle ourselves.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Fog Tripper posted:

Climate change is happening and it has always happened. The whole point of a retainment dam is to safeguard against certain climate thingies.

LOL that CA is so dumb as to not know how to make a dam properly.

That's my point, foresight is lacking.

Moridin920 posted:

We're building a poo poo ton of water infrastructure fucknut, what is your dumbo state doing?

Stop taking our tax money then and we'll handle ourselves.

Too little too late, but that's water over the dam now. We're good here, aside from the state wasting the federal funding for broadband years ago, so many places are SOL on proper internet access. Namaste moridin, I lived in CA for a while, every state is hosed, but the powers that be there are inept.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Is infrastructure a federal issue or a state issue

depends, but typically state or some sub-state jurisdiction set up for that infrastructure. this dam is the responsibility of the state of california water management department or something iirc

if the river crossed state lines then the federal government would be involved. the dam near me is owned by the us army corps of engineers who is sort of the official us federal government civil works and infrastructure division for anything that isn't specifically transportation related

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Everywhere has its problems but again if we didn't have to lose so much tax money to dickhead states like Kansas we'd have more money to fix our infrastructure.

Besides there's probably dams and bridges all over the country on the verge of collapse, it's not just CA. We're all in this ride to 3rd world status together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

EugeneJ posted:

I was thinking to myself "Sacramento is far away from the dam", but then I googled its elevation and Sacramento is 30 feet above sea level

:rip:

Sac proper floods real bad every 30 years or so, regardless of the dam, and it is mystifying why anyone would live there. The eastern suburbs are in foothills and are closer to Tahoe, and that's where you want to be. If Sac floods out this time I'm not sure why it should be rebuilt in its current location.

• Locked thread